Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Kalam Cosmological argument debunked

(Read 9945 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Kalam Cosmological argument debunked
     OP - November 26, 2010, 01:28 AM

Hey everyone, just registered.

Ex Muslim who completely detests Islam. Anyways, that is all for a later time.

I want to start off by contributing something which is the easiest and most simple way of debunking the nonsense argument that is the Kalam cosmological argument (refereed to as KCA from here on in).

It is a lengthy read but well worth it.

I urge you to read this because I see way too many people spending too much time trying to debunk KCA and getting into lengthy discussions about big bang and whether things can come out of nothing etc etc when all of that is completely unnecessary.

The beauty of what I am about to post is that it shows why KCA fails independent of the science attached to it. It fails due to some basic logic principles. 

So here it goes....

Here is the KCM:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    - whatever begins to exist has a cause (premise 1)
    - the universe began to exist (premise 2)
    - the universe has a cause
    -----------------------------------------------------

The argument seems to follow the following structure:

- if X, then Y
    - X
    - therefore Y

But alas, if we take a closer look, we can clearly see a MASSIVE sleight of hand in KCM.

Consider the arguments below and it will start to become clear what it is:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - If someone is lying, they are not telling the truth
    - My son is lying on his bed
    - Therefore, my son is not telling the truth

OR

- whatever is not right is wrong
    - my left leg is not right
    - therefore my left leg is wrong

OR

- If it is bright, it gives off/reflects light
    - My son is bright
    - Therefore, my son gives off/reflects light
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see what just happened?

Even though, the 3 arguments above follow the logical structure of "If x, then Y - X - therefore Y" , they are complete nonsense....

... because the words lying, right and bright change meaning in premise 1 and 2, rendering the arguments completely useless.

And this is exactly what is happening in KCA.

The phrase "begins to exist" changes meaning in premise 1 vs premise 2.

In premise 1, "begins to exist" is being used in the context of things coming into existence as a result of "REARRANGEMENT OF EXISTING MATTER/ENERGY".

things like cars, people, trees etc etc

Whereas.....

in premise 2, "began to exist" completely changes meaning to "THE ACTUAL CREATION OF MATTER AND ENERGY"

just like our examples above.......

lying as in deceiving somebody VS lying as in lying down on a bed

right as in what is correct VS right as in which side of the road you drive on

bright as in giving off light VS bright as in being smart

and .......Drum rolls.....

Begins to exist as in rearrangement of matter energy VS began to exist as in the actual creation of matter and energy.

the shift in meaning renders KCA completely useless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now lets have some fun and swap out the phrase "begins to exist" for either one of their meanings as they are being used:

- whenever matter and energy is rearranged, it has a cause
    - the universe is a result of the rearrangement of matter/energy

Now premise 2 is obviously very suspect

and

- when matter and energy is created, it has a cause
    - the universe is a result of matter and energy being created

now premise 1 becomes suspect because we have never observed the creation of matter or energy
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in conclusion,

KCA fails because the phrase "begins to exist" changes meaning in premise 1 vs premise 2.

Independent of the science, there is a logical flaw in the argument. 

P.S Even if premise 1 and premise 2 are 100% true, you cannot draw the logical conclusion because of the shift in meaning.

thats like me saying

- The sky is blue
    - I drive a car
    - Therefore I like to eat apples.

Premise 1 and 2 are true in the argument above but the conclusion is nonsensical, just like in KCA.

If you have read this far, God bless you (lol old habits die hard)

Would love to get some feedback.

• Re: Kalam Cosmological argument debunked
     Reply #1 - November 26, 2010, 01:45 AM

Yeah, pseudo-philosophy rots the brain. Religious bimbos eat that shit raw.

There was a brief discussion about it here:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=12803.0

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #2 - November 26, 2010, 01:50 AM

That's definitely an interesting approach to dealing with KCA.  Loose use of language underscores the headaches I've always had with philosophy.  In my case, I'd be willing the concede the possibility of the Universe (as we know it) as having a cause (perhaps via a cycle of some sort, a layer within a layer or as the product of a multiverse) but it's premise 4 and 5 that go off the rails:

Quote from: KCA
    4. If the universe has a cause, then an uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless, and enormously powerful.

5. Therefore, an uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless, and enormously powerful.

I'm used to seeing something along the lines of the following:
    http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/KCA_mapped_11_20_2010_.pdf

The above document is a work in progress.  A more exhaustive discussion is here:
    http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=1212
     Reply #3 - November 26, 2010, 12:28 PM

I like this approach, however if we're talking about logical flaw then I prefer this approach:

The premise that 'everything that begins to exist must have a cause' rests upon quite a masked ambiguity.

Consider x and y to be any entity, and C to represent a causal relation between x and y. For example, xCy means 'x caused y to begin to exist' and yCx means 'y caused x to begin to exist'. Now, let's quantify this relation:

Ax Ey, xCy; For all x, there exists a y where x caused y to begin to exist. (1)
    Ex Ay, xCy; There exists an x where for all y, x caused y to begin to exist. (2)

(1) and (2) are both equivalent to the statement 'everything that begins to exist has a cause', yet they have very different meanings. (1) is stating every entity has a respective cause for its existence, whereas (2) is stating that there is a singular entity that is the respective cause for all existence. So, argument still follows whether premise 1 is (1) or (2), but they say nothing about the nature of the universe's causation, and it therefore proves nothing at all.

Of course, the vital assumption of the KCA is that time is tensed i.e. that the present moment is uniquely existent, as opposed to time being tenseless where the present moment is not uniquely existent, but even with this assumption it fails.
     Reply #4 - November 26, 2010, 04:29 PM

Here's some kick-ass vids on Kalam and related subjects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JIEOQ6rbkM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv8muJOYiGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSAo6IpiFU
     Reply #5 - September 28, 2012, 12:09 AM

Hey everyone,  ..

Consider the arguments below and it will start to become clear what it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - If someone is lying, they are not telling the truth
    - My son is lying on his bed
    - Therefore, my son is not telling the truth

OR

- whatever is not right is wrong
    - my left leg is not right
    - therefore my left leg is wrong

OR

- If it is bright, it gives off/reflects light
    - My son is bright
    - Therefore, my son gives off/reflects light

OR

- whenever matter and energy is rearranged, it has a cause
    - the universe is a result of the rearrangement of matter/energy

OR

- when matter and energy is created, it has a cause
    - the universe is a result of matter and energy being created

OR

- The sky is blue
    - I drive a car
    - Therefore I like to eat apples.

Would love to get some feedback.

that last one is a good one Mutantbass ., glad to read those statements., they are perfect examples for religious nut cases like William Lane Craig .. he is a fool acting smart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcSdPJb9c6k

well all that 2hr debate here

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - September 28, 2012, 02:50 AM

I like this approach, however if we're talking about logical flaw then I prefer this approach:

The premise that 'everything that begins to exist must have a cause' rests upon quite a masked ambiguity.

Consider x and y to be any entity, and C to represent a causal relation between x and y. For example, xCy means 'x caused y to begin to exist' and yCx means 'y caused x to begin to exist'. Now, let's quantify this relation:

Ax Ey, xCy; For all x, there exists a y where x caused y to begin to exist. (1)
    Ex Ay, xCy; There exists an x where for all y, x caused y to begin to exist. (2)

(1) and (2) are both equivalent to the statement 'everything that begins to exist has a cause', yet they have very different meanings. (1) is stating every entity has a respective cause for its existence, whereas (2) is stating that there is a singular entity that is the respective cause for all existence. So, argument still follows whether premise 1 is (1) or (2), but they say nothing about the nature of the universe's causation, and it therefore proves nothing at all.

Of course, the vital assumption of the KCA is that time is tensed i.e. that the present moment is uniquely existent, as opposed to time being tenseless where the present moment is not uniquely existent, but even with this assumption it fails.

http://www.amazon.com/Arguing-about-Gods-Graham-Oppy/dp/0521863864

makes points along this line.  The Kalam arguement only says there are first causes not that there is A first cause.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #7 - September 30, 2012, 05:54 PM

yeah the Kalam Fallacy, don't know, I been reading on the Kalam thing for a while, sometimes it looks sound sometimes it looks completely stupid, it all depends on the arguments u bring to the table

Reply #8 - September 30, 2012, 06:02 PM

Here, let me debunk the Kalam and EVERY philosophical argument that states that God created the universe in just this one short post.  

The study of the universe is within the field of Astrophysics and Cosmology. Even when researching phenomena within the universe physicists use complex mathematical equations and models.  The results of which often go against every part of our common sense.

The twin paradox being a prime example of this  http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_twin_paradox.htm

And you are going to try to jump in to answer how the universe began with your every day intuitions ?

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #9 - June 08, 2013, 05:09 PM

a physicist/cosmologist breaks down why kalam/physics arguments for god are not science

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFp5PPSTiDc
     Reply #10 - March 10, 2014, 12:32 AM

Hey, wanna know what Mohammed's response to rebuttals to the kalam cosmological argument are?

Well according to the hadith Mo it seems he was troubled when presented with the 'Who created god then?' rebuttal and replied as follows.

Volume 4 Number 496

"Allah's Apostle said, "Satan comes to one of you and says, 'Who created so-and-so? 'till he says, 'Who has created your Lord? ' So, when he inspires such a question, one should seek refuge with Allah and give up such thoughts."

So basically Mo's answer was accuse them of being the devil and then run away and hide behind god  Cheesy

Seems that even back then skeptics and non-believers saw through the bollocks and were giving Mo a hard time by debunking his claims using reason and logic.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #11 - March 10, 2014, 12:35 AM

Cheesy

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #12 - March 10, 2014, 12:52 AM

a physicist/cosmologist breaks down why kalam/physics arguments for god are not science

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFp5PPSTiDc

now that everyone has fallen in love with Sean Carrol (including myself), I'm gonna watch this.
     Reply #13 - August 22, 2014, 05:30 PM

Another expert/qualified Cosmologist with a PHD in the subject on how theist apologists who are laymen in Physics abuse and distort Cosmology

Reply #14 - August 22, 2014, 07:04 PM

Christian Philosopher Wes Morriston on the KCA.

http://spot.colorado.edu/~morristo/wes2craig1.pdf

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #15 - August 22, 2014, 07:09 PM

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #16 - August 23, 2014, 09:26 AM

I know of nothing that begins to exist. Everything that exists is a continuation or reconfiguration of pre-existing things.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #17 - August 23, 2014, 01:27 PM

In any case, surely if something "doesn't begin to exist", like god for example, then it doesn't exist.

By definition all non-existent items, fairies, unicorns, santa, zeus,  never had a beginning to their existence.

God is indistinguishable from nothing.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #18 - February 06, 2015, 10:08 PM

Im trying to grasp the concept and slowly digest it until I read another version of it.
    Here, let me debunk the Kalam and EVERY philosophical argument that states that God created the universe in just this one short post.  

The study of the universe is within the field of Astrophysics and Cosmology. Even when researching phenomena within the universe physicists use complex mathematical equations and models.  The results of which often go against every part of our common sense.

The twin paradox being a prime example of this  http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_twin_paradox.htm

And you are going to try to jump in to answer how the universe began with your every day intuitions ?

(Clicky for piccy!)

Pretty much sums up my feeling about it. But it is so intriguing !
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »