Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Carl Sagan, Happy Birthday

(Read 9359 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Carl Sagan, Happy Birthday
     OP - November 09, 2010, 08:57 AM

Carl Sagan
    ~ November 9, 1934 – December 20, 1996 ~

~oOo~

I never really cared much for science when I was younger. It would be wrong of me to blame a religion for that since it was never something that interested me in the first place. I don’t even remember much at all what my science teachers said. But maybe if I had a good teacher things might have been different. Who knows? I often wonder what it would be like to have Carl Sagan as my science teacher. Maybe I would have showed up more often. Maybe I'd have had posters of him on my wall instead of Pac and Mos Def. He was before my time though. Yet, in a strange way, he was my first science teacher. But that isn’t really the point. He was much more than that too.

I’ll always remember catching Cosmos: The Shores of the Cosmic Ocean, on TV…

The surface of the Earth is the shore of the cosmic ocean. On this shore, we've learned most of what we know. Recently, we've waded a little way out, maybe ankle-deep, and the water seems inviting. Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself…

The journey for each of us begins here. We are going to explore the cosmos in a ship of the imagination, unfettered by ordinary limits on speed and size, drawn by the music of cosmic harmonies. It can take us anywhere in space and time. Perfect as a snowflake, organic as a dandelion seed, it will carry us to worlds of dreams, and worlds of facts.

Come with me.

Its hard to think of any voice or words that have affected me as much as those. I’d have to compare it to my mothers forgiveness, my fathers first hello after many years, or the one I love telling me those three special words. Landmark moments in my life, spiritual awakenings, as symbolic to me as shedding my skin, words written into the core of my being, sealed on my heart of hearts, enriching my life, making me a better person, or at least inspiring me to try to be.

Maybe I heard it at the right time, maybe it appealed to the artist or the tragic romantic in me, maybe it was the rolling shot of the beach, the crashing waves and the background music, maybe it was just the drugs still in my system, who knows, it isn’t important. What’s important is religion was dead to me at that point, Islam a toxic spiritual wasteland that I was lost in, looking for some sign, some guidance, some help to deal with where my life was headed, just something, anything. And that guiding hand came from elsewhere - just an ordinary looking man, with the most extraordinary voice… "Come with me". If ever I had a religious experience, this was most likely it. I cried then. I am crying now watching it again. Happy crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lqsG9_ughU

I thank Carl Sagan for not only encouraging me to start educating myself, but also waking me up from whatever shitty slumber I was in, and also for dispelling the sad reputation that science has earned as some kind of sterile and mechanical concept, rigid and void of emotion. The way he describes science is beautiful, open-ended and poetic - a strange alchemy of philosophy, spirituality and tangible discovery. The pursuit of it is as spiritual a goal as any, even a passing interest in it can enrich your life if you let it.

Carl Sagan, and other beautiful souls like him, give the universe a human hand-hold, and a pertinent message to humanity, simple enough to awaken a child-like awe in me, and at the same time deep enough to leave a lasting impression on me for life. He speaks of endless possibilities and uncountable mysteries with so much passion and energy that only a dead heart would not be moved, or a small mind already filled. And that warm smile. You cannot fake a smile like that. His words speak to me and teach me about the world around me in profound ways. Billions upon billions of ways. What we know is just a drop in the ocean and yet its enough to fill me up with knowledge. I am overflowing with knowledge. I have so much knowledge that I could never appreciate it enough in my lifetime, and never understand even a fraction of it. Do we really need to understand? Do we need an end goal like that? It is enough for me to just bask in the unknown and enjoy the journey. I am not afraid of not knowing. I relish it.

Carl Sagan showed me that life doesn't have to be lonely or empty without gods. My life certainly isn't. My life was much more lonely and isolated and hopeless with god. My paradise is living and breathing in this world right now. My angels and heroes, flesh and blood, here and now, with feelings like mine. Why can’t the living, material, tangible world be magnificent enough for us? It seems silly to desire an afterlife with all this going on. The universe is much more beautiful and infinitely more interesting than any vain imaginings of heaven. I see a natural, mortal, possibly finite universe and I am filled with strength, inspiration, hope, love, and an unquenchable desire to make the most of every second here on this earth, and surround myself with people who want to do the same, and keep hold tightly of fond memories of those who are with us no more.

So this is to you, Mr Sagan. A good man, a beautiful soul, a true inspiration to me: Happy Birthday.

To live in the hearts we leave behind
    Is to live forever

RIP Carl Sagan

001_wub

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Re: Carl Sagan, Happy Birthday
     Reply #1 - November 09, 2010, 09:06 AM

001_wub

Oh and you can still have posters of Carl Sagan in your room, next to Pac, Biggie and Richard Dawkins Grin
     Reply #2 - November 09, 2010, 09:16 AM

^ Ha!

That's a lovely tribute you've written, Ishina, and manages to capture the general spirit of us Sagan fanboys and fangirls.

Against the ruin of the world, there
    is only one defense: the creative act.

-- Kenneth Rexroth
     Reply #3 - November 09, 2010, 10:08 AM

Thats beautiful Ishina

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #4 - November 09, 2010, 11:57 AM

Wonderful tribute, Ishina.  Afro

I never really cared much for science when I was younger either. Actually, I only started getting interested in it more once I left Islam. It was philosophy that guided me out of religion and man-made god. Richard Dawkins kindled my interest in science though, and I came across Carl Sagan and many others along the way. I was in the middle of reading one of Sagan's books when my grandma died, and I haven't picked it up since. I think I want to pick it up again in the memory of my grandma.  Smiley

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    ~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #5 - November 09, 2010, 04:59 PM

My admiration for you Ishina just grew, again. I heard of Carl Sagan before, but now I'm more interested into his works.

Great stuff  Afro
     Reply #6 - November 09, 2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt tribute with us Ishina! That was a lovely post  Afro

Reply #7 - November 09, 2010, 06:08 PM

wonderful Ishina  far away hug

but stop trying to take my POTM trophy, i've only had it a couple of days

I know what you mean about science in schools though - there aren't many inspiring teachers around and you are never taught the big ideas, you only learn about the much more boring stuff, it makes me  finmad

this is one of my favourite YT videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-_PvllpJc

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #8 - November 09, 2010, 06:15 PM

AbuY, out of interest what are your thoughts on Sagan?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - November 09, 2010, 06:20 PM

victory clap WOW! What a wonderful tribute! Yep! RIP Carl Sagan. May we have many more people emulating your deeds to dispel man's ignorance and the fear of the unknown.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #10 - November 09, 2010, 06:27 PM

AbuY, out of interest what are your thoughts on Sagan?

he's my favourite atheist  Tongue  Dawkins is a retard compared to him, hehe

i really do admire him a lot, although i think there are modern day scientists that share that similar passion he had but are less well known, the dude in that video, Brian Greene is one of them. I recommend his books 'The Elegant Universe' and the 'Fabric of the Cosmos' to anyone interested in theoretical physics.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #11 - November 09, 2010, 06:32 PM

Carl Sagan wasn't an atheist. He was an agnostic.  Tongue

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #12 - November 09, 2010, 06:36 PM

i knew he was too cool to be an atheist   dance

Reply #13 - November 09, 2010, 06:48 PM

Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. One can be both. Most atheists are agnostic. Most theists are also agnostic Smiley

And also, what Carl Sagan thread would be complete without....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnFMrNdj1yY

001_wub

Reply #14 - November 09, 2010, 07:08 PM

Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. One can be both. Most atheists are agnostic. Most theists are also agnostic

yah, i was just teasing  Smiley

Reply #15 - November 09, 2010, 07:24 PM

Happy Birthday and RIP Carl Sagan.

Wow, I need to start looking him up on youtube because it looks like I've missed a ton of mesmerising and informative vids.

I always had him down as a sceptic.

Nice tributue Ishina.  Afro

Interestingly enough, I was always into science from an early age, probably about nine when I owned my first science book - I guess it's that natural childhood fascination of what lies beyond our 'earth' which you mentioned that attracted me to physics. I think it was when doing A level physics, I sort of became disinterested due to the heavy mathematical concepts which underly the topics but nonetheless science is something everyone can appreciate from a glancing perspective.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #16 - November 09, 2010, 07:26 PM

And also, what Carl Sagan thread would be complete without....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnFMrNdj1yY

001_wub

I was thinking about what was my favourite youtube video.  And I gotta say this one comes first in terms of powerful & most moving video Ive come across, unless anyone can show otherwise.

And to think the video could have been far better if they'd used stunning images of the cosmos.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - November 09, 2010, 07:46 PM

lolz @ the comments on the video

tpstrat14 3 weeks ago
    that ending quote is beautiful. But I do not like the whole idea that humanity is not important. If he's trying to say that no single person is more important than another, then I missed that point. I may have misunderstood. Please someone clarify his point about our unimportance.

Zecastronomo 3 weeks ago
    @tpstrat14, We are important to ourselves, to our family, our friends. But we are not important to someone that lives far away, on the other side of the world, for example. So we are not important to the universe, we are just a skin of life on the surface of a rock. A big size asteroid could finish wirh us and nobody else in the universe will know about us or cry for us.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - November 10, 2010, 08:58 AM

The Dragon In My Garage
    ~ A story from Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark ~

--oOo--

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin) I seriously make such an assertion to you.  Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself.  There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say.  I lead you to my garage.  You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle - but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely.  "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."  And so on.  I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all?  If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists?  Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true.  Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder.  What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.  The only thing you've really learned from my insistence that there's a dragon in my garage is that something funny is going on inside my head.  You'd wonder, if no physical tests apply, what convinced me.  The possibility that it was a dream or a hallucination would certainly enter your mind.  But then, why am I taking it so seriously?  Maybe I need help.  At the least, maybe I've seriously underestimated human fallibility.  Imagine that, despite none of the tests being successful, you wish to be scrupulously open-minded.  So you don't outright reject the notion that there's a fire-breathing dragon in my garage.  You merely put it on hold.  Present evidence is strongly against it, but if a new body of data emerge you're prepared to examine it and see if it convinces you.  Surely it's unfair of me to be offended at not being believed; or to criticize you for being stodgy and unimaginative -- merely because you rendered the Scottish verdict of "not proved."

Imagine that things had gone otherwise.  The dragon is invisible, all right, but footprints are being made in the flour as you watch.  Your infrared detector reads off-scale.  The spray paint reveals a jagged crest bobbing in the air before you.  No matter how skeptical you might have been about the existence of dragons -- to say nothing about invisible ones -- you must now acknowledge that there's something here, and that in a preliminary way it's consistent with an invisible, fire-breathing dragon.

Now another scenario: Suppose it's not just me.  Suppose that several people of your acquaintance, including people who you're pretty sure don't know each other, all tell you that they have dragons in their garages -- but in every case the evidence is maddeningly elusive.  All of us admit we're disturbed at being gripped by so odd a conviction so ill-supported by the physical evidence.  None of us is a lunatic.  We speculate about what it would mean if invisible dragons were really hiding out in garages all over the world, with us humans just catching on.  I'd rather it not be true, I tell you.  But maybe all those ancient European and Chinese myths about dragons weren't myths at all.

Gratifyingly, some dragon-size footprints in the flour are now reported.  But they're never made when a skeptic is looking.  An alternative explanation presents itself.  On close examination it seems clear that the footprints could have been faked.  Another dragon enthusiast shows up with a burnt finger and attributes it to a rare physical manifestation of the dragon's fiery breath.  But again, other possibilities exist.  We understand that there are other ways to burn fingers besides the breath of invisible dragons.  Such "evidence" -- no matter how important the dragon advocates consider it -- is far from compelling.  Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion.

--oOo--

001_wub

Reply #19 - November 10, 2010, 09:01 AM

Beautiful, just beautiful. I want to read all of his books now.
     Reply #20 - November 10, 2010, 10:35 AM

Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Awesome book.  Afro

Here's an amazing interview where he discusses that book among several other topics. It was his last interview. Recommended watching.  Afro

It has 3 parts there. Here's the first part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jod7v-m573k

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    ~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #21 - November 10, 2010, 10:38 AM

Awesome song and music video.  Cheesy Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #22 - November 10, 2010, 10:51 AM

Yeah, his message is still relevant and important. As science develops, we will have more and more moral decisions to make in order to accept scientific progress. And religion still claims unwarranted authority and involvement in such decisions. Religion and the religious have forfeited the right to be involved as far as I’m concerned, until they themselves start cleaning their own mess up. They have enough on their plate already.

Reply #23 - November 10, 2010, 10:56 AM

lolz @ the comments on the video

Yeah, they missed the point by miles Smiley

Reply #24 - November 09, 2011, 07:25 PM

Wow. Hard to believe a year has passed since last time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlPVSAnWOo&list=PLF68CD1CB6D438F33

Happy birthday Carl Sagan.

Reply #25 - November 09, 2011, 07:38 PM

Wow. Hard to believe a year has passed since last time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlPVSAnWOo&list=PLF68CD1CB6D438F33

Happy birthday Carl Sagan.

THE WORST JUICE.. whose little book BILLIONS AND BILLIONS changed me forever  when I was a kid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ex__M-OwSA

That book should be  school book for 7th grade to 10 grade kids through out the world..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #26 - December 21, 2011, 10:32 PM

Bumping this because it was his 15th anniversary since his death yesterday and I remembered him. Excellent tribute Ishina! Smiley
     Reply #27 - December 21, 2011, 10:48 PM

Carl sagan was a great man PBUH BUT equally his ex wife who has recently passed away, Lynn Margulis PBUHer, was a great woman. Very much a maverick who was shunned by neo Darwinists but made a great contribution in the field of cellular/molecular evolution with her Serial Endosymbiosis Theory (SET).
    Lol- I can be such a fuckin geek sometimes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/25/science/lynn-margulis-trailblazing-theorist-on-evolution-dies-at-73.html

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
     Reply #28 - November 09, 2012, 08:19 AM

I'll be having a drink to this great man tonight.

Traveller's Tales
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wilptDhk4

Happy Birthday Carl Sagan.

001_wub

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »