Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: A "hi" from Vietnam

(Read 15317 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: A "hi" from Vietnam
     Reply #30 - November 11, 2010, 12:59 AM

Welcome. It's always enriching to see the perspective of someone from a country that gets very little coverage in the West. If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

1. How old are you?

2. Your English is very impressive; at times more articulate than some UK natives. What was your education like? Also, how common is it to find English speakers among the native population?

3. Like you mentioned, when we hear the word "Vietnam" what usually comes to mind is the war, followed by noodle dishes, bad war movies and rice farmers in conical hats. Do you ever get annoyed by the Western media's portrayal of your country?

4. To turn things around, how is the West perceived nowadays by the majority of Vietnamese people you've encountered?

5. From your post it seems like superstition in culturally ingrained in Vietnamese society, regardless of religious affiliation. Is this accurate? If so, can you give some examples of how these superstitious beliefs surface in everyday life?

Sorry for all the questions; it's just that we don't get to hear from many freethinkers in Southeast Asia. Enjoy your stay here.

1. 27 yo, unmarried.
    2. Thank for your encouragement. I'm a civil construction engineer. English is our second popular language and yet it's rarely used, mostly for working with foreigners and promoting requirements, even today, many English schools have mushroomed in recent years.
    3. Of course, i have a bit disapointment, but i do know our country is still a third world country. Over the past 15 years, the country's economy have surged as the government has battled for their dictatorship by selling anything such as raw resources, manpower,....Living standard may improve slowly over years but income inequality is far much more than ever.
    4. We continue having conflicted feelings about their colonization history and their advanced science, technology, economy,..
    5. yes, this is. For example, this morning, my roomate toes have accidentally stuck between the door and the floor, he's screamed "I've known this, I've already known this, my blinking last night has informed me, God (general meaning, an omnipotent power) has punished me by my sin". And many people believe psychics , priests, monks instead of hospitals....to treat their disease such as AIDS, cancer, infertility,.....
     Reply #31 - November 11, 2010, 08:39 AM

What do you guys think about these Buddha's teachings? is it interested until today for 3000 years old teachings?
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalama_Sutta

Nothing special - I am more impressed by Epicurus who is almost as old and came up with far better than some rehashed hippy lyrics

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #32 - November 11, 2010, 08:40 AM

Confucius ftw

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Confucius/
     Reply #33 - November 11, 2010, 08:58 AM

lol @ 'Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves' - Confucius

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #34 - November 11, 2010, 09:25 AM

Its so true though.

If people listened to Confucius and Epicirus rather than Jesus and Muhammad ,then perhaps we'd probably be a whole lot better off.

Also there is ample reason to suspect that practically anything good (the mythical character of) Jesus said, was essentially taken from word-of-mouth knowledge from Buddhism.

So many +1's for the godless, so many -50's for the gods...
     Reply #35 - November 11, 2010, 10:16 AM

Nothing special - I am more impressed by Epicurus who is almost as old and came up with far better than some rehashed hippy lyrics

Anyways, did you finally agree with me on my conclusions?
     Reply #36 - November 11, 2010, 10:22 AM

Anyways, did you finally agree with me on my conclusions?

which ones?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #37 - November 11, 2010, 10:39 AM

Epicurus's philosophy combines a physics based on an atomistic materialism with a rational hedonistic ethics that emphasizes moderation of desires and cultivation of friendships. His world-view is an optimistic one that stresses that philosophy can liberate one from fears of death and the supernatural, and can teach us how to find happiness in almost any situation. His practical insights into human psychology, as well as his science-friendly world-view, gives Epicureanism great contemporary signficance as well as a venerable role in the intellectual development of Western Civilization.

All modern ills are due to ignoring what's mentioned in the bolded sentence.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #38 - November 11, 2010, 06:44 PM

1. 27 yo, unmarried.
    2. Thank for your encouragement. I'm a civil construction engineer. English is our second popular language and yet it's rarely used, mostly for working with foreigners and promoting requirements, even today, many English schools have mushroomed in recent years.
    3. Of course, i have a bit disapointment, but i do know our country is still a third world country. Over the past 15 years, the country's economy have surged as the government has battled for their dictatorship by selling anything such as raw resources, manpower,....Living standard may improve slowly over years but income inequality is far much more than ever.
    4. We continue having conflicted feelings about their colonization history and their advanced science, technology, economy,..
    5. yes, this is. For example, this morning, my roomate toes have accidentally stuck between the door and the floor, he's screamed "I've known this, I've already known this, my blinking last night has informed me, God (general meaning, an omnipotent power) has punished me by my sin". And many people believe psychics , priests, monks instead of hospitals....to treat their disease such as AIDS, cancer, infertility,.....

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Number 5 was hilarious - "beware god's wrath, or face having your extremities caught in a door!"  Roll Eyes

One last question: in the future, do you see Vietnam becoming more or less religious as a society?
     Reply #39 - November 12, 2010, 12:29 AM

Welcome Mikamehi!
    Vietnam is a great country, just visit it last July for a week, and I'm definitely coming back, the pho, the morning banh mi, the roasted pork with rice (I don't know the Vietnamese name :p )! I miss it Smiley
    I'm from neighboring country, Indonesia   Wink
     Reply #40 - November 12, 2010, 10:45 AM

All modern ills are due to ignoring what's mentioned in the bolded sentence.

whats atomistic materialism ?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #41 - November 12, 2010, 11:51 AM

whats atomistic materialism ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism

This should give you some insight, if u haven't already looked it up.Cheesy

Welcome Mikamehi, btw Smiley

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #42 - November 12, 2010, 01:14 PM

What do you guys think about these Buddha's teachings?

Not much - you come across this one yet?

‎'Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I've said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sense'  Buddha

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #43 - November 12, 2010, 01:24 PM

the morning banh mi,

Vietnamese hoagies for breakfast? That sounds like heaven.

fuck you
     Reply #44 - November 14, 2010, 05:25 AM

xin chao!

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »