Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:18 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Remembering Dr Abdus Salam

(Read 14133 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Remembering Dr Abdus Salam
     OP - October 21, 2010, 05:36 PM

Remembering Dr Abdus Salam, the Pakistani nobel prize winner who died 3 years ago, who was outcast by his own community.

http://secularpakistan.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/remembering-dr-abdus-salam/

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: Remembering Dr Abdus Salam
     Reply #1 - October 21, 2010, 05:41 PM

smart guy for sure. dunno why he couldn't see beyond the 'allah tells us to study and appreciate nature deeply' mindset. people at his IQ levels typically have no patience with religion.
     Reply #2 - October 21, 2010, 05:46 PM

Well Im not even convinved thats what he believed, of if we will ever know.  Its not wise for a public figure in Pakistan to be open about such views.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - October 21, 2010, 08:59 PM

He's Ahmadi, I use that term loosely because I doubt his concept of 'God' is anything resembling Islam's but he is definitely a huge contributor in the field of physics.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #4 - October 21, 2010, 09:52 PM

Country after country, he was welcomed as a state guest, often welcomed by heads of states at airports. In contrast to all this, on his arrival back in his homeland in December 1979 he was received at Lahore, Peshawar and Islamabad by the military secretaries to the governors and the president. The Quaid-e-Azam University had to shift the function of the award of an honorary doctorate to the National Assembly Hall because students of the Islami Jamiat-i-Talaba (the student wing of the Jamaat-e-Islami) had protested and disrupted the event. The event in Lahore had to be shifted to the Senate Hall because of similar protests at the University of Punjab. The protesters threatened to murder him. His alma mater, Government College, did not even invite him.

In his book The Coffee House of Lahore, Pakistan’s pre-eminent historian K K Aziz narrates the incident surrounding the January 1983 honorary degree award upon Dr Salam by the University of Khartoum (Sudan). Saudi Arabia has immense political influence in Sudan and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia tried to intervene and get the event cancelled because of Dr Salam’s religious beliefs. On January 7, the Saudi ambassador met the Sudanese President Field Marshal Nimeiry and asked him to get the event cancelled. The faculty of the university asserted their autonomy and threatened to resign in protest if there were to be any political intervention. The event went ahead but not without controversy as the Secretary General of the Arab Science Foundation found it necessary to interrupt Dr Salam numerous times in his speech.

A great man indeed, for standing in the face of adversity and the overbearing Islamists.

victory

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #5 - October 22, 2010, 04:13 PM

a great physicist and a great man  Afro

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #6 - October 24, 2010, 07:14 AM

To what sect does Dr AQ Khan belong? (yes the nuclear black marketeer guy)
     Reply #7 - March 07, 2011, 04:04 PM

Dawkins asking Weinberg about Dr Abdus Salam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mYiqHbL6A&feature=player_embedded

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - March 07, 2011, 04:30 PM

Remembering Dr Abdus Salam, the Pakistani nobel prize winner who died 3 years ago, who was outcast by his own community.

http://secularpakistan.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/remembering-dr-abdus-salam/

whoever wrote that .. just a correction IsLame. Professor Abdus Salam died onNov 26 1996..~ 14 years ago..

Dawkins asking Weinberg about Dr Abdus Salam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mYiqHbL6A&feature=player_embedded

that is a great tube thanks..  That is funny.. some one edited the words "That he was not observant Muslim"

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #9 - March 07, 2011, 08:37 PM

smart guy for sure. dunno why he couldn't see beyond the 'allah tells us to study and appreciate nature deeply' mindset. people at his IQ levels typically have no patience with religion.

Don't know if he even said that, most likely its just BS propoganda made up about him.
     Reply #10 - March 07, 2011, 08:38 PM

Remembering Dr Abdus Salam, the Pakistani nobel prize winner who died 3 years ago

He didn't die 3 years ago Tongue
     Reply #11 - November 22, 2011, 03:44 PM

There are   good  folks  in Pakistan  and there were  good people in Pakistan. One of them was dr. Abdus Salam., I have written on and off in different  forums..

http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=647523#647523
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=16214.msg448982#msg448982
    http://www.chowk.com/Views/Science/Dr-Abdus-Salam-The-Mystic-scientist

well today's news paper writes something about him

Mohammad Abdus Salam (1926-1996) was his full name, which may add to the knowledge of those who wish he was either not Ahmadi or Pakistani. The man proudly lived and died as both, and much more, as Pakistan disowned him, in life and in death. The government denied him the honour of a state funeral; the media remained absent from the burial ceremony at Rabwah, which has since been renamed not after Abdus Salam but as Chenab Nagar, just to spite its Ahmadi residents.

The restyled epitaph at his grave near his native Jhang awkwardly reads: “First —— Nobel Laureate”, from which the word “Muslim” has been deleted under court orders; the court, even in its narrow mindedness could have ordered the replacement of “Muslim” with “Pakistani” but that was not to be. This son of Jhang is less known in his own country today than the terrorist Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, even though he had founded and led an abler lashkar (brigade) of some 500 Pakistani physicists and mathematicians over the years whom he arranged to send to UK and US universities on scholarship for higher studies.

He was the guiding spirit and founder of Pakistan’s nuclear programme as well as Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco). The pygmies who after him headed the two institutes he was allowed to set up in Pakistan in his pre-non-Muslim years have since been credited with laurels, and honoured more, even in their dishonourable conduct, as father of this and that, while the Godfather remains conspicuous by his absence in official records.

Dr Salam became the victim of rigid social attitudes and state discrimination against his community when Z.A. Bhutto through an act of parliament declared the Ahmadis non-Muslim in 1974. Heartbroken at the humiliation, he left Pakistan in protest to live in Europe where in 1979 he was awarded the Nobel for his groundbreaking research in theoretical physics; soon roads were named after him in Geneva and Trieste, if not in Islamabad or Jhang. The same year, as it happened, Bhutto was hanged by Gen Zia’s kangaroo court, but the Ahmadis’ predicament was Bhutto’s only legacy that Zia embraced wholeheartedly and built on even further. Despite being given the roughshod, Dr Salam from his institute in Italy, continued to patronise bright Pakistani scientists and students through a scholarship programme.

His alma mater Government College, Lahore, which has named its mathematics and physics departments after Dr Salam, and Pakistan Post, which issued a two-rupee stamp to honour him, remain the only state institutions to have acknowledged him.

The nascent rock band aptly named as Beghairat Brigade, of Aalu Anday fame, has hit the nail on the spot with their lyrics of the popular song which rightly laments: aithe Abdus Salm noon puchhdai koi nai (nobody values Abdus Salam here) as they point out that murderers Qadri and Qasab have become our heroes. His birth anniversary, January 29, remains a long shot from being celebrated as Dr Abdus Salam Day, even though we invent anomalies like the Yaum-i-Takbir (atomic detonation day) and Sindhi Culture Day, amongst the myriad others, that are officially marked on our calendar. How truly unworthy is Pakistan of its only Nobel laureate.

Rest in peace, Dr Salam.

Indeed that is what happened in land of pure.,  dr. Abdus Salm became villain of Pakistan because of his Ahamadi faith and  murderers Qadri and Qasab become heros of Land of pure..

Reply #12 - November 22, 2011, 05:33 PM

So what...I used to be religious, I was still a genius then as I am now. -_-

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #13 - November 22, 2011, 05:56 PM

So what...I used to be religious, I was still a genius then as I am now. -_-

you are always genius posthuman.,  you were genius before, you are  genius now and you will genius in future .. You are a Non-stop genius with no limits..  lol..

but some one said
     The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits and genius sets his limits  and No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

Hmm left side of the screen is filled with posthuman..

The Doctor Who Appreciati...
    by posthuman

new [Today at 11:49 AM]
    A private board for new m...
    by posthuman

new [Today at 11:46 AM]
    Random Facts About Yourse...
    by posthuman

new [Today at 11:43 AM]
    Egypt protests: Three rep...
    by posthuman

new [Today at 11:40 AM]
    Remembering Dr Abdus Sala...
    by posthuman

[Today at 11:33 AM]
    This is the truth UNCUT -...
    by posthuman

new [Today at 11:26 AM]
    I love...
    by posthuman
    new [Today at 11:17 AM]
    Engrish
    by posthuman

new [Today at 10:50 AM]
    question about evolution
    by posthuman
    new [Today at 10:28 AM]

Indeed you are a genius with a touch of madness.. loll  Cheesy Cheesy  keep it up..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #14 - November 22, 2011, 06:18 PM

I'm working from home for the last few days. It's not working out. dance

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #15 - November 23, 2011, 02:00 AM

I'm working from home for the last few days. It's not working out. dance

well START WORKING... 

Reply #16 - November 23, 2011, 02:35 AM

I start my day with a walk, in the park, look at the swans, and the trees, get some nice air, have a coffee, cigarette or two on the bench, then I get a rush of motivation - and can't stop working for 8 hours. The nature walks help me somehow.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #17 - November 23, 2011, 03:04 AM

Wow, Dr Abdus Salam was married to not one, but TWO WIVES! One from Oxford and one from Pakistan. Cheesy

It's nice to know that he at least died peacefully in the UK. If in Pakistan he would of probably been assassinated.
     Reply #18 - November 23, 2011, 03:36 AM

Wow, Dr Abdus Salam was married to not one, but TWO WIVES! One from Oxford and one from Pakistan. Cheesy

having two wives is/was  not a crime specially for a fellow who is born in Islamic family and that too in early 20th century Tmp.

The problem with families and marriage is in Muslim and even non- Muslim families through out the subcontinent largely controlled by family elders., by the time one finds out they are NOT compilable to each other it is already late.,

think about this
    Abdus Salam was born on January 29, 1926, at Jhang, a rural community now in Pakistan. His father was a school teacher, who encouraged Salam's education. Salam's prodigious intellect won him first class educational opportunities even as a child. At the age of 14, he entered the Government College at Lahore, having achieved the highest mark ever recorded for an entrance examination to the college.

He completed his undergraduate education at Punjab University and then moved to Cambridge University in England, which awarded him a doctorate in 1952. From 1951 to 1954, Dr. Salam served as the Professor of Mathematics at Government College and Punjab University in Lahore. He then moved back to England, where in 1957 he became a Professor of Theoretical Physics at the Imperial College of Science and Technology, University of London, where he remained for most of his life. It was there that he developed the mathematics of the "electroweak theory".

A frequent visitor to Dhaka, Professor Salam was an admirer of Professor Satyendranath Bose, Dhaka University's legendary world-renowned theoretical physicists of the 1920, 1930s, and 1940s; of "Bose-Einstein statistics" and "Boson" fame. Some say, that Dr. Bose's tenure at Dhaka is what inspired Dr. Salam to organize an international conference on low energy physics at Dhaka in 1967. That was the first time writer had the pleasure of seeing Dr. Salam in person.

Dr. Salam married twice. He is survived by four children from his first marriage, and one child and his wife from his second marriage.

All that is from dr. Kibble's article

so we don't need to laugh at  Dr. Abdus Salam's personal life..  I can assure that he didn't take Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) as his role model in his personal lifeTmp

Reply #19 - November 23, 2011, 04:53 AM

having two wives is/was  not a crime specially for a fellow who is born in Islamic family and that too in early 20th century Tmp.

Yes, I'm well aware that Islam allows 4 wives.  Afro

so we don't need to laugh at  Dr. Abdus Salam's personal life..  I can assure that he didn't take Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) as his role model in his personal lifeTmp

I'm not laughing/making fun of him. I appreciate his work. I just found it funny that he was married to two wives as I never knew about this before.
     Reply #20 - November 23, 2011, 04:56 AM

There's nothing wrong with 2 wives. Or 10 wives. Consenting adults can do what they want. Although, choice is often theoretical in South Asian cultures.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #21 - April 03, 2012, 01:19 AM

So these Idiots  from AMRICA  who says about their activities
    Activities as of March, 2011

Dars-e-Quran
    Urdu Tafseer
    Sunday-1:30pm
    Alexandria, VA

Friday Prayer
    11:30 English
    12:30 Urdu
    1:30 English
    7001 Backlick Rd, Springfield VA 22150.Â

Quran & Fiqh Classes
    Sat and Sun 10-12:30 pm
    Alexandria, VA

writes about Dr. Abdus Salam., The only guy any and every Pakistani must be proud of associating their name with him

They write on him with a heading  Dr. Abdus Salam and the Nobel Prize at this link

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

The Nobel Prize was proposed for Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani on October 15, 1979, and it was awarded to him on December 10, 1979.

Qadiani-Jewish Lobby

What is this Nobel Prize? What Qadiani motives are behind this award? This analysis should have been carried out earlier; however, the Qadiani-Jewish lobby unleashed an immediate and enormous propaganda campaign to forestall a forthright consideration of the issue and cover up their motives. Thus few people could get an opportunity to examine the ramifications of this award to Dr. Abdus Salam.

First of all, the Qadianis made an effort to show that the bestowal of this award was something in the nature of a super-natural happening, a miracle which Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani had accomplished. Secondly, an effort was made to prove through this award that the spiritual sire of Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani, i.e., Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian, was an oracle who predicted such super-natural deeds. These calculations were bound to produce favorable impressions on Muslims, chiefly upon those who neither know the facts about the Nobel Prize nor care what Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani is up to.

To counter this Qadiani propaganda, it is now necessary to lay bare some facts and to bring out the truth. Let us also examine the motives which Abdus Salam Qadiani and the Qadiani-Jewish lobby wish to achieve through this award and their nefarious hidden designs against Islamic nations of the world.

What is Nobel Prize?

In order to understand this, attention of readers is drawn to a booklet, entitled, First Ahmadi Muslim Scientist Abdus Salam, written by Mahmud Mujib Asghar Qadiani. This book has been written specifically for children and draws its subject matter from Encyclopedia Britannica. It reads: (Pages 49-51).

"Children! Nobel Prize is awarded in memory of a Swedish scientist Mr. Alfred Bernhard Nobel. He was born on October 21, 1833, at Stockholm, capital of Sweden. Nobel was a great chemical engineer. After his death, a Foundation was set up, named Nobel Foundation. This was according to his will. The Foundation awards. five Prizes every year and the first series of awards commenced in December 1901, on Nobel's fifth death anniversary.

The Prize is awarded to those pre-eminent personages who excel in the fields of Physics, Chemistry, Physiology, Medicine, Literature and Peace. The Prize consists of a gold medal along with a certificate and a cash Prize of about L80,000.

Procedure for selection is that names of prospective candidates are submitted to a panel who represent certain agencies. They decide on the rightful persons. Names in respect of Physics and Chemistry are put up before Royal Academy of Sciences, Stockholm; in respect of Physiology and Medicine to Caroline Medical Institute, Stockholm; in respect of Literature, to Swedish Academy of France/Spain; and for World Peace, to a Committee, of five members elected by the Norwegian Parliament.”

The Late Hakim Ajmal Khan was a wizard in the field of medicine. Dr. Salim-uz-Zaman's scientific researches are well-known. But the Nobel recognition evades them. These are but a few ready instances otherwise who can list in names of many incomparable personages of the Islamic world of this century. For the Swedish judges, these persons did not possess the desired excellence and merit, but somehow Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani did. Good or bad, he is Qadiani and that stands for his excellence and merit. Actually, his only virtue is his enmity towards Islam and friendship with Jews. The Swedish 'Daniels' coming to judgment cherished this trait of Dr. Abdus Salam as par excellence and worthy of the Nobel Prize.
    If Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani was really so capable a scientist why did he not produce atomic fission in Pakistan next day in reply to India's in 1973. At that time, he was Atomic Energy Adviser to President of Pakistan. This was part of his official duty. It is claimed for him that he possesses expertise in Nuclear Atomic Physics. If this is so, then his dire incompetence (or Pakistan enmity) pushed Pakistan many years behind India. If Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani could have come up with his technical proficiency at a time when Indian scientists had demonstrated theirs, then Pakistan would not have gone begging for technology to the West. In that situation, no one from international political scene would have raised finger at Pakistan's competence in atomic field. Had Pakistan also exploded the device at the time when India did, then Pakistan would have been internationally exonerated from any blame. The matter would have stood closed and settled.

But that did not happen. As a result, Dr. Abdus Salam's incompetence, incapability and his Pakistan enmity ushered on us this day when the whole world is shouting against Pakistan's peaceful atomic research program; so much so, that Americans, who are gullibly rated as well-wishers of Pakistan and friends, are asking Pakistan to desist from its researches. On the other hand is India who has fired up the entire world against Pakistan's peaceful nuclear energy program. How wonderful! Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani has friendly terms with Indian Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi! What is the perimeter of Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani's scientific know-how against this backdrop.? How far is he loyal to Pakistan?
    Some conscientious persons with a sense of honor refused this Nobel Prize as a kind of bribe. But how could Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani refuse it? He was after it since long. 

Conclusions

Pieces of information, related above, lead to the following conclusions:

The Award is meant to preserve the memory of Mr. Nobel who taught the first "dynamic" lesson of destruction to man and is rightly considered the 'Adam' of ordnance factories the world over.
        Cash awarded in the Prizes is pure 'Interest Accrual’. Our holy Prophet, Muhammad(SAW) has accursed both the beneficiaries, he who gives and he who takes interest.

Our holy Prophet's Companion, Hazrat Jabir(RA), says: Allah's Prophet(SAW) has accursed the person who takes interest, gives interest, writes interest bonds, witnesses interest transactions, and he said they are all equal (in sin).

The holy Quran has declared interest as a challenge of war against Allah and His Prophet(SAW).
        The Nobel Award is not any extraordinary event of human history. It is not of a super natural kind. Many countries, in public and private sectors, distribute different kinds of Prizes regularly. Nobel Prize is also of that category which some people get every year; Hindus of India and of Bengal got it; Jews and Christians of Israel, Europe and America got it; Christian preacher Teresa was honored with it (if the word, honor, is appropriate here). The Nobel award has been on-going for almost a century. Hundreds have been its recipients but has anyone heard that Jews, Christians, Hindus ever stormed the world in jubilation by saying that -"because our co-religionist has happened to get it, therefore our religion is most authentic" or that "the fact of our co-religionist's receiving Nobel Prize proves truthfulness of our faith and its excellence over all others"!

Story Behind Award

Why was Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani awarded? The answer is provided in an interview with Dr. Abdul Qadeer, our renowned nuclear scientist.

Q: "What do you have to say for the Nobel Award which Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani has received"?

A: "That too has been awarded on the basis of motives. Dr. Abdus Salam had been trying to get a Nobel Prize since 1957. At last, on the hundredth birth anniversary of Einstein, the desired Prize was given to him. The fact is that Qadianis have a proper mission operating in Israel since long. Jews wanted to please some like-minded person on the occasion of Einstein’s anniversary and so Dr. Abdus Salam was favored".  (Weekly Chattan, Lahore, February 6,1986)

Dr. Abdul Qadeer's above-quoted interview is a wise discernment. It is a sagacious hint in hushed tones that the Nobel Award is hinged with Qadiani-Jewish motives, secretly piled one over Another.

A Glimpse into Qadiani-Jewish Objectives

In Dr. Abdul Qadeer’s interview, there is one meaningful epithet. The epithet is "Like-minded".

Most appropriate, because the Qadianis are great allies of the Jewish/Zionist movement. They cooperate with each other in spitting out venomous propaganda against Muslims on an international base.

Zionism is a sworn enemy of Islam since its inception. History testifies that they damaged the Islamic polity by motivating separatist movements. This time they have a protagonist in Qadianism and a ready mule to ride on. The award to Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani is in pursuance of a common cause of the antagonists of Islam.

Now, we shall examine those objectives which Qadianis, in their turn, have tried to extract from the bestowal of this interest-nurtured Award.

Objective No. 1: To Prove that Ghulam Ahmad Qadiani was a Prophet

"People of my Sect"

This award to Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani has been so vociferously celebrated that his personality is made to appear superhuman. Taking advantage of the blaze, Dr. Abdus Salam Qadiani saw into it the opportunity to bamboozle the world to believe in the "prophetic" prediction of his spiritual sire, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Qadiani. In evidence, a quotation is reproduced below from Qadiani Daily, ‘Al-Fazl', in its issue dated November 13, 1979: ..

That is the FILTH they write from AMRIKA   you can read more ..there..

Reply #22 - November 05, 2013, 12:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgr_vnuZxc
    Dr. Abdus Salam, A Physics Noble from pakistan

Huh!... what a great soul .. ROGUES RUINED EVERYTHING .. including the lives of  those who were proud  to be from Pakistan..

Reply #23 - December 13, 2013, 02:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mYiqHbL6A#t=89

Dr. Richard Dawkins and Dr. Steven Weinberg  Discusses Dr. Adbus Salaam.,  Adbus Salaam was a colleague of Steven Weinberg., Both worked on that Higgs boson

And I didn't know this about Dr. Adbus Salaam..
    "Salam and Louise Johnson were married in a Muslim wedding in London in 1968.  An unlikely witness was Paul Mathews, Salam's long-time research partner  and professor at Imperial. 36.  In Islamic terms, his new relationship was a marriage, so Salam was following the edicts of a religion that expressly forbids fornication. 37.  but on the other hand it was sufficiently distant from a union that had taken place between cousins in Pakistan as not to cause alarm.  The freedom and support that Salam's unorthodox lifestyle required was freely given on all sides, and the unconventional arrangement worked.  By deft planning and attention to detail, and by supreme forbearance by those involved, Salam was able to manage his unconventional matrimonial affairs, shuttling between Trieste, London and Oxford.  Salam was discreet about all of this, but on the other hand did not keep it secret.  His 'second family' became regular summer visitors at Trieste."

36---Salam would have preferred 2 Muslim witnesses to his new marriage, and this was duly rectified in a second marriage ceremony in 1973.

Dr. Salam had both of his wives living less than a mile apart in 1990--1996 era.  

Another biography: Dr. Abdus Salam, by Jagjit Singh. Says, he admired Muhammad Iqbal, the poet philosopher.

According to his colleague, Dr. Weinberger, Dr. Salam was fond of "Scotch" whiskey:

An excerpt from Steven Weinberg's interview conducted by Richard Dawkins in which Dr. Abdus Salaam is stated to be a 'drinker' and that he drank "scotch".
    ..."Cosmic Anger"  writes that

Professor Dame Louise Napier Johnson, DBE, FRS (26 September 1940 – 25 September 2012[2]), was a British biochemist and protein crystallographer. She was David Phillips Professor of Molecular Biophysics at the University of Oxford from 1990 to 2007, and later an emeritus professor.  Johnson married the theoretical physicist, Abdus Salam in 1968. He later shared the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1979 for his work on electroweak unification. They had two children: a son born in 1974 and a daughter born in 1982. She died on 25 September 2012 in Cambridge, England

Salam was a very private individual, who kept his public and personal lives quite separate.  He married twice, and at his death, was survived by three daughters and a son by his first wife, and a son and daughter by his second, Professor Dame Louise Johnson, formerly Professor of Molecular Biophysics in Oxford University. He married Johnson in 1968 in London.

well that was news to me.. And  I wonder how his kids are doing specially  the ones from his marriage with Dr. Louise Johnson? 

Reply #24 - January 29, 2018, 08:21 AM

Abdus Salam: The real story of Pakistan's Nobel prize winner ..HASHAM CHEEMA in  dawn

I was born in the country town of Jhang, then part of British India, now Pakistan, in 1926. My father was a teacher and educational official in the Department of Education and my mother was a housewife. I had 6 brothers and 1 sister. My family was by no means rich.

When I was at school in about 1936 I remember the teacher giving us a lecture on the basic forces in Nature. He began with gravity. Of course we had all heard of gravity. Then he went on to say “Electricity. Now there is a force called electricity, but it doesn’t live in our town Jhang, it lives in the capital town of Lahore, 100 miles to the east”. He had just heard of the nuclear force and he said “that only exists in Europe”. This is to demonstrate what it was like to be taught in a developing country.

I was admitted to Jhang College, Pakistan in 1938 at the tender age of 12. I spent four years there. In those days it was an intermediate college, grade 9, 10, first year and second year classes were taught there. The majority of students in the college were Hindu. It was my good fortune that I had some of the exceptionally learned and most affectionate teachers assigned to me.

The foundation of my academic career was laid in this college. I believe that I owe all of my later accomplishments to this institution and to its hard-working teachers. I firmly believe that a teacher’s affection and his proper attention can make or break a student.

I remember returning home around 2 p.m. in the afternoon on my bicycle from Maghiana to Jhang city. The news of my standing first in the exam had already reached Jhang city.

I had to pass through Police Gate district of Jhang city to reach my home in Buland Darwaza. I distinctly recall that those Hindu merchants who normally would have closed their shops due to afternoon heat, were standing outside their shops to pay homage to me. Their respect for me and their patronage of education has left an indelible impression on my mind

I wrote my first research paper when I was about sixteen years of age which was published in a mathematics journal but I wasn’t actually hooked on research till I went to Cambridge University.

I was very fortunate to get a scholarship to go to Cambridge. The famous Indian Civil Service examinations had been suspended because of the war and there was a fund of money that had been collected by the Prime Minister of Punjab. This money had been intended for use during the war, but there was some of it left un-used and five scholarships were created for study abroad. It was 1946 and I managed to get a place in one of the boats that were full with British families who were leaving before Indian Independence. If I had not gone that year, I wouldn't have been able to go to Cambridge; in the following year there was the partition between India and Pakistan and the scholarships simply disappeared.

I remember my first day at St. John’s College in London, England. When I arrived there my 40 kilogram luggage bag was brought from the railway station by a taxi driver. On arrival at the college I asked a porter for help. He pointed towards a wheel-barrow and told me to help myself. These incidents I am narrating here not for the sake of pastime but the subject at hand is education whereby these anecdotes become part of getting a point across.

I returned to Cambridge in 1954 as a lecturer and Fellow of St. John’s College. Three years later, I accepted a professorship at Imperial College, London, where I succeeded in establishing one of the best theoretical physics groups in the world.

The pinnacle of my physics career came in 1979 when I shared the Nobel Physics Prize with Sheldon Glashow and Steven Weinberg for our unification of electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force in the ‘electroweak’ (a word which I invented in 1978) theory, one of the major achievements of twentieth century physics. This theory had made predictions that could be verified by experiment. The most revealing of these was that a new particle exists at extreme energies. To test this theory we had to convince the experimental physicists working on the great particle accelerators to build new equipment: To create, in principle, conditions that would be similar to those first few moments in the birth of the universe.

https://soundcloud.com/user-208419718/dr-abdus-salam-interview

https://salam.ictp.it/salam/documents/one-hundred-reasons

all of the  post is from his words and there is more at that link

Reply #25 - January 29, 2018, 09:14 PM

It's sad that he never got the appreciation in the Muslim world he deserved.

In his grave the word "Muslim" was erased:
     Reply #26 - January 29, 2018, 09:42 PM

It's sad that he never got the appreciation in the Muslim world he deserved.

In his grave the word "Muslim" was erased:
    (Clicky for piccy!)

those  scoundrels who  vandalized  prof .Abdus salam  memorial  stone  are followers of these two scoundrels  you see  here in these tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXC9hXb380

and tube starts  with the names of those fools

Reply #27 - November 07, 2020, 08:09 AM

dr, Abdul Salam’s face blackened in the country of mullah kingdom..... writes dr. Pervez Hoodbhoy

WHEN our prime minister lectures Europe about Islamophobia, the world snickers. Forced conversions? Lynching by enraged mobs? Having to curse another religion’s founder prior to applying for a Pakistani passport? Discrimination is built into our laws: Pakistan’s Constitution explicitly excludes non-Muslims from full citizenship. For multiple reasons every human rights listing puts Pakistan close to the bottom.

Very recently a group of abuse-yelling young men in Gujranwala chose to video-record themselves while spraying black paint onto a poster of Prof Abdus Salam. An Ahmadi and Pakistan’s sole science Nobel Prize winner who died 25 years ago, Salam is the only Pakistani who has seriously impacted the world of science. That the posted video went viral with tens of thousands of views — and that it received high approval — speaks of raw mediaeval hatreds boiling over from time to time with or without an excuse.

The video is that of ordinary people — at least those in Punjab — and was not officially ordered. But what of governments? Do national leaders acknowledge that scientific merit must be disentangled from matters of faith? And how has the military establishment seen things? These questions are important not just because of some particular individual but because government, industry and academia function properly only if there are layered meritocracies built upon recognition of individual ability and competence. Salam’s case is a litmus test.

The world rightly ignores complaints of Islamophobia from a country that mistreats its religious minorities.

Gen Ayub Khan could not have cared less about Salam being an Ahmadi and appointed him as scientific adviser; Zulfikar Ali Bhutto thought similarly even as he surrendered his principles for political gain in 1974; Ziaul Haq was ideologically charged and very wary of Ahmadis but was also politically savvy and so awarded Salam the Nishan-i-Imtiaz in 1980.

Then things started changing. Benazir Bhutto stayed totally clear of Salam and so did Mian Nawaz Sharif. During his first tenure as prime minister, while speaking at Government College Lahore in 1992, Nawaz Sharif read out a long list of distinguished alumni and faculty but conspicuously omitted Salam’s name.

Quite miraculously, Nawaz Sharif eventually recognised Salam’s importance as a scientist. While touring CERN (European Nuclear Research Centre) in 2016 to cement the Pak-CERN collaboration, one hears he was much impressed to learn that major parts of CERN’s research — including the successful search for the Higgs boson — revolved around certain discoveries of Abdus Salam and Steven Weinberg. He was also taken for a drive on Rue de Salam, a road in Geneva named after Salam.

It was but natural that someone should then have asked Pakistan’s prime minister a basic question: why did Salam’s home country have no significant institution named after him? The natural candidate was the National Centre for Physics located on the campus of Quaid-i-Azam University, a public university. NCP was conceived in the 1980s jointly by Salam and his former PhD student Riazuddin (1930-2013), a respected theoretical physicist who also became NCP’s founding director. Though hopelessly underfunded, it started off in 1999 on borrowed premises on the QAU campus.

NCP’s original goal was to become a mini ICTP (International Centre for Theoretical Physics). Founded by Salam in the Italian city of Trieste, the ICTP (now renamed Abdus Salam-ICTP) has hosted thousands of researchers from around the world to work in a cordial and intellectually vibrant atmosphere on cutting-edge scientific problems. It is an established model for international cooperation and the openness of scientific inquiry.

Days after Salam’s 20th death anniversary, the then prime minister Nawaz Sharif moved to change NCP’s name. He failed. To remind readers of how that happened, I will repeat some details from my Dawn article of 2018.

On Dec 29, 2016, the president of Pakistan, on the summary advice of the prime minister of Pakistan, put his signature upon a document titled, Proposal to Rename NCP at QAU as Professor Abdus Salam Centre for Physics. Earlier, the summary had been vetted on Dec 26, 2016, by the minister of state for education and professional training. It was then sent to QAU for necessary action as per proper procedure.

The official order for renaming NCP — duly signed by the Pakistani state’s highest executives, both the president and the prime minister — was received at QAU and conveyed onward to NCP. It was ignored. For a modern state to have subordinate officials deliberately and openly defying lawful authority is rare but this is precisely what happened. Direct orders from the sitting prime minister and president went into the wastebasket and NCP’s name remained unchanged. Religious prejudice was just too deep.

I think what the political leadership did not fully understand was how much the character of NCP had changed. Now funded by the Strategic Plans Division of the Pakistan Army, NCP is a parking lot for retired officers from high security institutions. Living the good life in plush residences at the foot of the Margalla Hills, they are answerable only to themselves and not to any government. In a fortress bristling with barbed wire and armed guards, no high-thinking physicist pondering on the nature of the universe is likely to be found there.

Once again Salam had been cheated of the respect he deserves for his scientific work. He may be the starkest example but is not alone. Pakistan does not own any son of the soil who happens to be a non-Muslim. Har Gobind Khorana (1922-2011) was born in Multan, earned his MSc degree from Government College Lahore in 1946 and went on to earn the Nobel Prize in physiology in 1968 for his work in protein synthesis via nucleotides. In 1983 another Lahori, Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (1910-1995), became a Nobel Laureate in physics after his definitive work on the death of stars. Nasa’s satellite, named Chandra, is presently searching the skies for black holes and other astronomical objects.

Prejudice poisons the well of knowledge, making its water too toxic for science and inquiry to grow. As with Salam, nothing in Lahore acknowledges the existence of either Khorana or Chandrasekhar. Nevertheless they must still be considered fortunate. At least they have been spared the abuse and vilification that the long-dead Salam must continue to endure.

that is what he writes  and here are the tubes.. videos..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUlCe3jQ8cE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9IZw3-joAg

well that is the news from land of pure on that great man

Reply #28 - December 13, 2020, 02:07 PM

Dr Abdul Salam's residence in Britain is now a national heritage site  says news

"Physicist, Nobel Laureate and Champion of Science in developing countries, lived here,"
    The first Pakistani to be awarded the Nobel Prize for his contribution to the electroweak unification theory, Dr Abdul Salam's house in Britain has been declared a national heritage site by the United Kingdom government.

Founder of the Theoretical Physics Department at Imperial College London, the scientist resided there from 1957 till 1996, when he passed away.

Recently, the English Heritage unveiled a Blue Plaque which was installed outside his former home.

"Abdus Salam 1926-1996, Physicist, Nobel Laureate and Champion of Science in developing countries, lived here," it read.

well worth visiting it once in a while ., at least one good news ., at least one good news on the person born in Land of pure ... off course the news is far away from land of pure

and this is the house that Dr,  Abdus Salam  was born and lived in Pakistan

that picture is from 1981....  Now well ... oh well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl5SF2eiDss

well He was NOT REAL MUSLIM.... hell with him.,     fucking shit...

Thank you England...

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »