Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed

(Read 155876 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed
     Reply #480 - August 05, 2017, 12:02 PM

The pieces of revelation come forth once more:

"Fuck everything that gives you joy 
    but  remember
    Shit follows the fuck "

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #481 - August 17, 2017, 05:29 PM

I’m sorry, Bogart, but your comparisons are flawed here. As I think you are at least beginning to acknowledge in your post, the men in question have legacies that have come to symbolize things beyond what they may have independently said, done, or believed in their lifetimes.

It was not an uncommon sentiment during the period leading up to the civil war for Whites with an intellectual or moral conscious to recognize the faults in slavery while still supporting it in all practical ways. In fact, some of the most outspoken proponents of slavery made concessions to its evils while also deeming it necessary for Africans in particular, either because “providence” willed it, or because blacks were supposedly less intelligent and more naturally unruly and therefore worthy of subjugation, or because their alleged physical build and adaptation to the climate, disease and working conditions made them most suitable – happy, even, as some arguments went – to be enslaved.

The “evil but necessary” arguments were often used to fuel public support for something that men in power with intellectual or moral conscious on both sides of the war could not ignore, but those arguments did not always drive their policies or actions. In many ways, I believe those arguments have done even more damage to the legacy of race in this country in that they have engrained stereotypes that linger on till this day.

All of that, still, is a bit beside the point.

The symbols of those men, in this case in the form of statues and/or flags, were not adopted for the sake of commemoration of any lived confederate history, but as representations of ideas. The bulk of those confederate statues, including the ones in Charlottesville and in Durham, were installed in the height of the Jim Crow era during the 1920s and 1930s. The resurgence of Robert E Lee's confederate battle flag as a cultural phenomenon occurred during the 40s, 50's, and 60's, during height of Civil Rights and integration movements. They had nothing to do with the defeated confederacy and everything to do with the sought continued subjugation of blacks and the perpetuation of Jim Crow.

Similarly, Abraham Lincoln and the memorials dedicated to him were adopted as symbols of emancipation, unity, and democracy - regardless of what the man may have actually believed. It is important never to forget the importance of symbolism in the creation myth of a country, and it is especially important to recognize what people are actually standing for or attacking when they stand for or attack those symbols.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #482 - August 30, 2017, 12:21 AM

This is the crux of the problem as i understand it (from an ex-muslim) perspective

When Muhammed(or whoever), wrote the Quran, he wasnt thinking 4th dimensionally. 
    He each ayah of the quran was normally written to either develop a part of the faith or to deal with a situation that arose around Muhammads life,
    however the situations that Muhammad was responding to in the Quran were not mentioned explicitly in the Quran.
    Also over time Muhammad changed his mind several times during his life, which resulted in conflicting information appearing in the Quran.

After Muhammad's death, when future generations tried to read the Quran, they hit a few problems. 
    Some ayah contradicted each other
    some ayah were written in such generic terms that they could mean several things.
    Some ayah mentioned rules without giving context to the rules, so interpretation of the Quran became very difficult if not impossible.

To deal with these problems two different knowledge bases were created, then first was Hadith and the second was a methodology to read and understand the Quran.

With regards to Hadith, around 150 years after the time of the prophet some scholars started collecting Hadith, but when they did this, they found
    literally hundreds of thousands of Hadith that contradicted each other and the Quran.  So these scholars developed a methodology to categorise the Hadith. 
    The methodology that was developed checked for consistency of the Hadith with Quran, the trustworthiness of the narrator of the Hadith,
    existence of similar Hadith from unrelated individuals etc

This process generated several volumes of books that are considered Sahih(authentic) Hadith, the most famous of which are: Bukhari, Muslim, Sunan Abu Dawud.

Without the support of these Hadith the Quran falls apart as an incomprehensible mess of generic sentences with no clear beginning, middle or end.  Ive heard some scholars say, that without the Hadith, the Quran it just a book(i don't know how they manage to keep their faith with that statement).

So to answer your question, how important are Hadith, I would say that they are essential if you want to understand the main interpretation of Islam in existence today, i.e what you might consider mainstream Islam.

But when people say something like the problem is not the Quran, but the problem is Hadith, they are  talking shit.  One of the criteria of Hadith classification is that it cannot contradict anything in the Quran. 

The Quran talks about most if not all difficult topics;
    Slavery, Sexual Slavery, Sexual Slavery with Married Women,child marriage,beating wife,gods punishments, killing unbelievers.

The only thing that Hadith does is to provide context and embellishments to the core message.

Muslims cannot accept that any problems exist with the Quran, because they believe the Quran is the literal word of God, and admitting any moral problem with the  Quran is tantamount to apostasy, so they will try to deflect attention somewhere/anywhere else.  The most common deflections are:

The words of the Quran have been misunderstood, i.e words have been mistranslated, or context has not been understood correctly.
    The true meaning of the Quran is only known by Allah.
    The Hadith are fabricated, or weak so cannot be trusted.  And when they are shown Hadith from a Sahih(authentic) source, they say the Hadith was incorrectly  classified as Sahih, but is infact weak.
    people abused the word of God for their own evil intentions, its not what god intended.

Hope that helps

Reply #483 - October 08, 2017, 02:13 AM

Yeah I have an interesting relationship with the Qur’an these days. I still do recite it almost weekly, but I view it entirely differently now, obviously.

But I feel like I’m well beyond the “SEE! IT’S NOT FROM GOD BECAUSE IT SAYS X” phase. I just don’t care about that part anymore since I’m not even expecting it to be entirely accurate, moral, or relevant to modern times.  Instead, my mind wanders a lot to the place of why certain verses are included where they are, especially given the seemingly random nature of the placing of many verses. There seems to be some clear instances of splicing, cutting, and pasting that get me thinking about what circumstances must have led to the text turning out the way it did.

And I still can’t help but reminisce about the incantations of the haunting voice of Hussain Al-ash-Shaikh. It’ll always remind me of tahajjud in Madinah. I’ll post his Suratul Anfal here. It’s pretty much religious music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmez8x9ESs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xw-b-Vpfo4

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #484 - October 08, 2017, 03:51 AM

Opps, double post.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #485 - October 29, 2017, 03:08 PM

I have seen an awful lot of bad, and for the most part had no idea what I was looking at.
    Being oblivious is a blessing, mostly.
    However, the older I get the more I know what has happened to me and the clearer I see the people I have known. Working in fraud prevention since I reached adulthood has been helpful though somehow has not jaded me.
    Many people are not pretty.
    When I was in purdah I knew, as I did as a child, that absolutely that there was no help and no hope. I was certain the hand I was dealt was the only hand there was. When everything hit the fan I met people who I am sure are as flawed as the rest of us but who also went above and beyond to save us and make sure we emerged into light.
    I keep meeting people who do nice things, who enrich the lives of those around them in a myriad of ways. There is no common trait I can pin down besides what I would term decency. Our beloved Golden Rule, I suppose. It makes me feel lucky, to look back at the last few years and know I that my fellow man has come through.
    I know there are places where the people you are surrounded by can affect your outlook. I know our own perceptions can form our realities..
    But I went from a hell into a happy life, more than once.
    My purpose is to be one of those decent people who helps others, without getting into the trouble it got me into before. Not to give in to bad experiences and close myself off, but to live with my heart and my eyes open.

I hope this makes sense. Sometimes I explain emotional things and it doesn't come out right, like I have a writer's block on that part of myself..

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #486 - August 25, 2018, 03:14 PM

Grin So over the top. I have to ask, have you ever had a drink? Is that the way things are to you – either you don’t drink at all or reality is so “thoroughly disagreeable” that it needs to be “distorted?”

Personally speaking, I brew my own beer. I enjoy the taste. I enjoy the subtle differences between brews and appreciate what craft breweries are doing these days. I also enjoy the buzz. It feels good. Therefore, I enjoy it.

I also enjoy sunshine. That does not mean I find raindrops on roses “thoroughly disagreeable.” I enjoy snowball fights. That does not mean I find summer days at the beach “thoroughly disagreeable.” I enjoy solitary walks through the park. That does not mean I find being around friends “thoroughly disagreeable.”

I guess I can understand the appeal of absolute, all or nothing thinking. I was, after all, once a Muslim. Life is so much more colorful when you trust yourself enough to live less rigidly.

Reply #487 - April 02, 2020, 12:09 PM

1).  — the definition of a, “theory” is. It is a body of knowledge in a field of study. It encompasses facts, and laws, and testable hypotheses. Evolution is a theory, but that does not mean that it is based on speculation —

2). Evolution meets the definition of a, “fact”.

3). What does the God theory give us? Nothing.

4).  Do not put supernatural claims on the same level as the scientific method

5).  A good theory, which is supported with some evidence, is one where a scientist encourages other scientists to to try and disprove it. If the majority of evidence is for it, then it is accepted. If the majority of evidence is against it, then it is rejected. However, with theism models, this principle does not exist.

6).  What is also important to note, is that just because science may not be definitive on one issue, that does not mean that we should now be incredulous and insert a God Of Gaps...."

well I inserted few words here and there in to those nuggets of A Muslim...  but he is gooood... and I love this

What does the God theory give us? Nothing.

and I can argue with A Muslim that he is  wrong in saying that  Cheesy

and my good wishes to A Muslim...
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17« Previous thread | Next thread »