Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed

(Read 156458 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 17 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • CEMB Greatest Hits - posts you may have missed
     Reply #60 - January 08, 2013, 08:54 PM

Brilliant Cheesy Cheesy

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #61 - January 08, 2013, 09:00 PM

Good job sethyboy@! Q: who has the copyrights to the miracle and have you verified the facts? The reason I ask: if I were to use this great argument in jihad against rationalists, then a) I don't want to be sued for plagiarism and b) don't want to have my cause undermined by someone actually bored enough to verify the facts. That's powerful stuff, would not like to see it backfire.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #62 - January 09, 2013, 01:10 AM

lol brilliant sethboy!!  Cheesy
     Reply #63 - January 09, 2013, 04:35 AM

Oh wow my post is on here :$

Good job sethyboy@! Q: who has the copyrights to the miracle and have you verified the facts? The reason I ask: if I were to use this great argument in jihad against rationalists, then a) I don't want to be sued for plagiarism and b) don't want to have my cause undermined by someone actually bored enough to verify the facts. That's powerful stuff, would not like to see it backfire.

What do you mean who owns the copyrights to the facts? Obviously I don't own the books, but I did the searching, took the pictures, and wrote everything myself.

I can take you through the process I used to come to those numbers. Since I made that post I've had a small discussion with kuffa (sorry if I messed up the name) and found out I can actually get the number of "night" references to exactly 356. Of course I used some dirty tricks, but it's the same kind of tricks that were used with the miracles in the Quran (although in some aspects I was a bit more honest).

I think I'll also take this post to mention that my name is pronounced seth-E-boy, since it seems like everyone on every game and website calls me seth boy wacko

It stems from back in the first grade where I had a close friend named Steven. Somehow I was Sethyboy and he was Steveyboy. The zero stems from signing up for Runescape as a kid and "sethyboy" being taken, with "sethyboy0" being suggested to me as a possible name. All the other suggestions had like 23 numbers after them so I found the zero some creepy but still good enough Tongue

Well gee, I've gone off topic haven't I?
     Reply #64 - January 09, 2013, 04:50 AM

Thanks for explaining, but keep in mind that I have an annoying habit of leaving out smiley faces to inform of a joke having been made, Also, you can not deny the miracle of 19 with your dirty Moby dick  tricks.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #65 - January 09, 2013, 02:18 PM

Dirty Moby Dick tricks? Tongue

I didn't really use the same ones as that guy did, except maybe for the last one Roll Eyes
     Reply #66 - January 29, 2013, 01:08 AM

Sometimes I hate the inner writer trapped inside of me. I read this question, got intrigued, and then started writing this tirade of autobiographical accounts spanning from my parent’s introduction to Islam all the way up to how I became a salafi. Looking over what I just read, I’m not sure it has any relevance to the question you asked. But I can’t be bothered to edit it! I hope you find some answers to your question somewhere below:

This is a great post, MB. Thank you very much for sharing. I’ll take some time to add my own reflections as well.

My upbringing was very unique, I believe. Long before I was born, my parents were swept up by the Black Nationalist fervor that was so prevalent in the 60’s. My mother’s family are deeply religious Southern Baptists, originally hailing from the deep southern state of Georgia and settling just outside of New York City in the 50s. My mother used to tell me about segregation and the overt racism that they faced in Georgia, with detail that is still difficult for me to fully comprehend. Her father was a Christian preacher and the family was threatened by white supremacists and the KKK.

Looking back on it, it is not hard for me to see how blacks could have become radicalized back then. Given the importance of the church and scripture in their day to day lives, it is also not hard for me to see how when Elijah Muhammad started claiming prophethood—and placing himself in the same vein of messengers as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus—people believed him. My mother told me that when she read the Qur’an and saw that all of the prophets that she grew up believing in were also revered in Muslim scriptures, it was not a very difficult transition. Furthermore, rejecting the Christian religion of the “white man” and his divine “white Jesus” must have been extremely liberating. Having charismatic black American preachers like Malcolm X eloquently making the case for the new faith must have helped as well. To her, the religion did not seem foreign at all. It was a very grassroots movement, and she was a part of it. Growing up in the shadow of Genesis and Exodus, why would the God of the Old Testament not send a messenger to the downtrodden blacks, to liberate them and lead them to the light, just as he had done with the downtrodden Israelites before? That is very much how they viewed themselves, and I get the sense they loved being a part of such a “sacred” movement.

The love affair was short lived, however. After the sex scandal with Elijah Muhammad and the assassination of Malcolm X, many of Elijah’s followers abandoned him for a more “orthodox” Sunni Islam. My mother also made the transition. This new religion was certainly not native, but it had a legacy and history to it that lent it credibility. Draped in the familiar backdrop of Israelite prophecy, Islam still had a mystery to it that must have been captivating. The ancient rituals, the strange language, the foreign clothes—the whole thing must have been enticing in the way that most things not fully comprehensible tend to be, at least to curious minds. It was not the faith of the “white oppressors” and it was not the faith of the “heathen pagans.” This was the faith of God--the real God, the eternal God, the God of all races that they already believed in.

Enter me. I was born shortly after my parents made their first Pilgrimage to Makkah.  Islam had not yet grown in the US to what it is today. There were very small African American convert communities, as well as small congregations of foreign students and refugees. Islam was, to me, almost like a Christianity with a twist. Everyone had their religion; ours was just a little different—and ours happened to be the correct one. Everyone else had just gotten it wrong. I remember being a kid and watching the children in my neighborhood go to church, all dressed up and dapper, while we prayed at a small store-front mosque in Arabic.

I remember my Aunts and Uncles, who were Christian, talk about the bible and the stories of the Israelite prophets and I remember going to the Mosque and hearing those same stories. Of course, there were minor differences. But on the whole, I grew up to believe that Islam was really just a correction of the “corrupted” creed of Christianity.

Once I got into college, I deliberately took classes in comparative religion. At the same time, I was becoming more and more influenced by the writings of Bilal Phillips and the Islamic concept of Tawheed. (I’ll explain what that is in just a moment.) I think I needed to know what made my religion so special. Should I even bother continuing to claim it? I had heard Muslims talk about values, but all religions talked about values. I had heard Muslims talk about scientific achievements, but surely, if scientific achievement was any sign of divine favor, then the US in the 20th century must have been the holiest nation on the planet. Every religion tells you to be a good person, to love your neighbor, to give money to the poor, yada yada yada. Why did I need Islam?

That is why tawheed was so attractive. The concept of tawheed essentially means that because God singlehandedly does those things that only he can do: creating, causing life, causing death, administrating the laws of the universe, etc, then only God deserves to be worshiped.

Tawheed could be violated by either believing that any force other than God could do those things that only God can do, or by dedicating acts of worship to anything other than God.

Worship is defined as any words or actions that please God and are in accordance with his legislation as reveled to his prophets.

In this light, it became easier for me to see why Islam was unique. Christians ascribed divinity to Jesus, thereby violating tawheed. Hindus worshiped idols, which was of course a violation of tawheed. Jews worshiped one God, but their rejection of messengers like Jesus and Muhammad meant that they were not worshipping according to God’s legislation—which was, of course, a violation of Tawheed.

Even many Muslim sects were guilty of violating tawheed. Those who believed that saints could answer their prayers, those who venerated relics, those who prayed at graves while believing they had power to help or harm, in the Muslim world, there was a variety of examples of how people had violated Tawheed.

This whole thing made a lot of sense to me at the time. The wahabis of Saudi Arabia seemed to have this concept of Tawheed down to a tee, and I got swept up in their puritanical propaganda.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #67 - January 29, 2013, 09:50 PM

Perhaps I am going out on a limb here, but I assume that deep down inside, you must have known that you would not get much support for the idea of reverting back to Islam on this forum. Perhaps what you were really looking for was discouragement? If so, allow me to help.

Firstly, I can relate to all of the different feelings of nostalgia that arise when you think back on your days as a Muslim. For me, I used to love listening to the recitation of the Qur'an. I had tapes and CD's of all of my favorite reciters and had the honor of meeting some of them personally. Tarteel is an art form, and just like any other work of art, it can elicit strong emotions from those who experience it. That does not, however, make it divine. Classical Music, beautiful paintings, passionate speeches, and many other elegant or eloquent forms of human expression can all be very moving. I encourage you to enjoy the beauty that you find in the Qur'an for what it is, beauty, without committing yourself to all the backwards and foolish nonsense that you must accept if you were to go back to taking it as the literal word of God. I now listen to the Qur'an some times, as well as to Christmas songs, hip hop and southern rock. I hold none of it sacred.

Secondly, going back to Islam is more than simply going back to living your life as a Muslim, it is and must be going back to believing the untrue. Honestly, I never had a problem trying my best to keep up with all the rules and regulations that Islam required. I prayed, I fasted, I only had sex with my wife. If there were any shortcomings on my part, I saw them as opportunities to better myself. What I did have a problem with was believing, for example, that our minuscule and almost insignificant Earth came before, and took longer to create than, the heavens and the stars. Or that Adam was created from clay at 60 cubits tall and that man kind has been decreasing in stature ever since. Or that the most merciful being in existence could also be a sadistic monster. As one would expect of a book written in the 7th century Arabian deserts, the Qur'an contains numerous statements that are simply not true. Since I know that I could never believe those things, and since Islam requires you to first believe before your actions have any weight, I know I can never go back to being a Muslim. Neither should you.

Lastly, you should not go back to Islam because Islam can not offer you anything in return. Islam never promises to make you happy or to give you an easier life on earth. Islam does not help you get a better job, it does not help you have a successful relationship with your significant other. Islam is all about obeying and doing what Muhammad wanted you to do-no matter how shitty your life turns out because of it. In return for submitting your logic, your reasoning, your desire, and your ambitions to the commands of the self proclaimed prophet, you are promised a big, fat carrot in the sky after you die. The only problem is that there really is no carrot. You will die and that will be the end of it. The only life that you are sure to experience, the only body and mind that you are sure to have, will have been wasted on archaic rules and superstitious beliefs. I think I speak on behalf of the majority of people on this forum when I strongly advise you against making a move like that.

I like the last paragraph.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #68 - February 08, 2013, 05:11 PM

"Reading your post has brought back so many memories. Sitting here in my office, on casual Friday, looking out at my employees working away as they do, it is hard to get thrust back mentally into those years that have gone by. The transition from who I was then to who I am now was so radical, and yet so gradual and natural that I still have to marvel at the journey through which life has taken me. Sitting here, I am enticed to write.

I am enticed to write about Saudi Arabia and its staunch salafi ulama who would, if they could see me now, boldly raise their index fingers and angrily denounce this apostate. I can hear them in my head now. I know the verses they would use. I know the Ahadith they would quote. But how sad it is to think that in reality, they are the ones who have gotten it all wrong. They are wrong. And they don’t even have a clue.

I think about those zealous “students of knowledge” who were so sure that they had the “truth” and that everyone else was “upon falsehood and misguidance.” Do they even care what truth is? Would they abandon their backwards dogma and evil ideologies if the real “truth” stared them dead in the eye? No. They would not. It was never really about truth, was it? It was about ego. I was about identity. It was about superiority. It was never about truth.

I think about the times I spent in the precincts of the Prophet’s mosque, resting against the marble pillars, committing verse after verse of the Qur’an to memory. There, as the heat of the evening breeze from the opened courtyards mixed with the cool of the incensed air of the mosque, I remember thinking about the man himself: the perfect example for humanity, the mercy for all the worlds. But how could he have done the things he did? Why would Allah allow for it to all be so unnecessarily ruthless and troubling? And yet, I believed in him. I trusted him. I think of those doubts I pushed aside then because I trusted him. I guess they were more than doubts.

I think of the people who I had called to Islam, my coworker in the UAE from New Zealand. He was not a stranger on the street. He was a great guy. We became great friends. I felt a need, an obligation really, to save him from the fire and from the terrible doom that awaited him if he were to die. So I told him all the good things about Islam. I made it sound as great as possible. Worship one God. Respect your parents. Be good to your neighbor. Not once did I mention A’isha or Safiyyah. Not once did I mention Khaibar or the banu nadhir or the banu qaynuqaa. How could I? He was a good person. He had a good conscience. That would drive him away. Then he would burn eternally for being driven away by his own good conscience. As he repeated the shahada after me, I knew that I had not given him the full story. But somehow, I thought that was better for him. Through his ignorance, he had saved himself from the fire. He knows the truth now though. There is no fire after you die. He knows because he died in the New Zealand earth quake only a year after he had gone back home. Cristiano Carazo Chandler. I almost threw up when I googled his name on a whim one day, just to see how he was doing.  I’ll never know if he learned the whole story.

I think of so many instances over so many years. Sitting on a ferry crossing the Bosporus in Istanbul, wandering what might have happened had the Muslim Turks been able to conquer all of Europe, and secretly delighting that they had not. Reading about evolution and having it make perfect sense to me, and secretly wishing it did not.
     Looking at my daughter as she begged me to let her ride on my neck, and knowing there was nothing I would ever do to stop her from becoming whatever she wanted to become, no matter what anyone else thought.

And I remember watching American Muslims, with pure and sincere intentions, surrendering their lives to the teachings of a man that they really did not know. I think about how their Imams paint them a picture that is simply not true. All the airbrushing and photoshopping in the world could not change him into what they claimed.  “A champion of Human Rights!” they shouted, “The Emancipator of Slaves, The Defender of Women, Rahmatun lil-alameen, alayhi afdhalul-salaati wa atammut-tasleem, Nabiyina, wa habeebina, wa qaa’idina, wa sayyidina Muhammad Ibn Abdillah Salawaatullahi wa salaamuhu alayh. Surely, Allah and his angels send blessings upon the prophet, Oh you who believe, send your blessings upon him and salute him with your salutations of peace!" And they did. I shake my head now in sorrow to think about it all"

- happymurtad
    Beautiful!
     Reply #69 - March 21, 2013, 05:20 PM

Some Muslim recently left this comment on my website:

Islam gave the west the pressumtion of innocence, ignited the european renaisance and eradicated rascism. All done through the messenger of God Muhammad.

It really irks me when Muslims make such ironic statements, even more so than some Salafist saying some nasty stuff, because at least what they are saying reflects serious study on the subject. Some Muslims seem to be totally ignorant of any kind of perspective and because no one ever challenges their nonsense in their own social circles, they remain totally oblivious of reality.

The Renaissance and Enlightenment ultimately led to secularization of society, belief in social and intellectual progress, universal human rights and liberal democracy, which are totally contradictory to medieval Islamic theocracy championed by orthodox Islam.

Muslims should first implement Renaissance ideas in their own societies before they start trying to convince Westerners that the Renaissance is a fruit of Islam. This is perfectly obvious when observing the current state of the Muslim world which has a very hard time accepting those values and implementing them. Suggesting that they were brought to the West by Islam is pretty ironic.

God is Love.

Reply #70 - March 29, 2013, 04:20 PM

Acceptance of evolution amongst Christians and Muslims is related to levels of literalism. The evangelical whacko Christians are literalists who have a very Quranic attitude to the Bible. Those Christians who treat the Bible less strictly, who accept it figuratively, who can take a metaphorical conception of its precepts, are able to create space for an acceptance of evolution because of this.

Whilst amongst Muslims, especially educated Muslims living in the West, this is also true, that they can accept evolution to a greater or lesser degree because they are able to conceive of Islam and the Quran in such a way to allow so (or convince themselves that it can be interpreted thus), it doesn't translate into mainstream or even higher echelon proponents, because Islam is (relatively) more mired in literalism, not only at the fringe, but at the centre, and in the mainstream.

As such, these tensions and differences are something of a microcosm of the tensions within Islam and between Muslims, of those who believe that Islam should be viewed figuratively and metaphorically, and the majority opinion, that Islam is literal, and the Quran the unadorned facts of dvine revelation and unchallengable truth.

God is Love.

Reply #71 - April 01, 2013, 10:32 PM

In Islamic jurisprudence, every action fits into one of five categories:

1.   Wajib (Obligatory): That which one is rewarded for doing, and susceptible to punishment for not doing. For example, the five daily prayers.
    2.   Mustahab (Recommended): That which one is rewarded for doing, but is not susceptible to punishment for not doing. For example, fasting outside of Ramadan or praying additional prayers above the 5 obligatory ones.
    3.   Mubah (Allowed) : That which there is no reward for doing nor punishment for not doing. Owning slaves would fall into this category, as would driving a blue car or eating French fries. Basically, Allah doesn’t give a fuck if you do it or not.
    4.   Makrooh (Disliked): That which there is a reward for not doing, but no punishment for doing. An example would be going back to sleep after the dawn prayer.
    5.   Haraam (Forbidden): That which one is rewarded for not doing, and susceptible to punishment for doing. Naturally, there is a bunch of stuff that falls into this category: Eating with your left hand, wearing trousers that fall below your ankles, using an interest credit card, eating pork, listening to music, wearing silk if you are a man, wearing perfume outside if you are a woman, touching the opposite sex, praying for a dead non-Muslim, clearly, all the really bad stuff is Haraam. I wonder how non-muslims have any sense of morals…

God is Love.

Reply #72 - April 11, 2013, 07:44 PM

I meant to return to this thread because I actually thought it was a great idea, also made me LOL when I saw it pop up, especially since there had been some tension based on a couple of other threads.  So anyway, kudos to you for easing the tension happymurtad.   Afro

I don't think there is much that needs to be understood about women or men, we are all so unique and require different things, and even those things change as we age.

She might want you to be macho when she is in her 'attraction to bad boys' phase, she might grow out of that and start wishing you were just a little bit softer and less macho.  The reverse could happen, you just can't ever be sure since people change. She might never have liked the 'macho' thing and saw it as just too chauvinistic, might have preferred someone in touch with all the parts of himself, she might like them tall, short, athletic, cuddly, whatever, it's all changeable, it's not static.

We are all just humans, friends stay friends, or grow out of their friendships much like relationships do.

The core of this thread though, or at least what i would say about this forum, and of course for beginning to adopt that view in the real world, is to understand that.  To understand that some girls will hate the leering, and some will like it, some won't care about misogynistic comments, because they themselves are products of their society, and some will be thinking out of that box and not appreciate it.

I guess its about what you want to be as a person.  Are you becoming enlightened, are you thinking out of the box, have you begun to understand that commenting on every womans body might give the women around you a standard they can't fulfill and allow it to damage their own view of themselves?  are you aware of how words can be used to continue to propound stereotypical myths about women, and aware that calling it a joke doesn't make it less so?  Do you want to change that?  do you want to see a world in which you know your daughter can grow up, and cross the road wearing what she wants without being told she was asking for it?

Compare your view on women to your view of muslims, in the sense that you have freed yourself from Islam, you would be angered to still be under the yoke of it  You already understand that muslims are conditioned, you already understand that not every muslim is a specific way. 

You get angry and understand that when muslim women say "it's my choice to wear the hijab", that they have no real choice.  You 'get' that they are victims even when they scream they are not, because you have freed yourself from that mental slavery.

But this other prison, the one in which many women still have to dress a certain way, in which only their body and their youth is of appeal, or men view them in terms of their use for sex and dismiss them as anything above that (of course not saying all men, just like I'm not saying all women want jacob from twilight).  How is it that you still help the wardens of that prison women find themselves in?

That you don't stop and think "should I get hung up on the weight of the female rapist in this story being fat, or can I be more than that"...or "this muslimah bikini model, is the only thing worthy about her, a thread about how bangable she is, and long she is worthy of being banged for".

Does this matter you?  are you interested in working towards a world, in which not only muslims get freedom to leave Islam, but to know that the women in your life, mothers, sisters, daughters, friends, loved ones all, have the freedom to be themselves as much as the freedom you longed for when you left Islam.

Because if it does, then that's the only view you need to adopt.  Not a list of what women want.

That's certainly all I'm asking for. 

This applies in reverse I know.  Men do have a masculine standard they must adhere too, there are penalties for stepping out of that.

But this is what makes it like leaving Islam, we all face a penalty for that, what makes that battle more worthy than this one?

Reply #73 - April 12, 2013, 12:59 AM

On meaning of life

I don’t think there is anyone who doesn’t know what you’re talking about. What would it after all mean to be an evolved mammal in the incomprehensible nothingness of the universe? What would it mean to feel sad and alone in a universe like this? It would mean that when you out of despair cry out “why me”, the universe barely bothers to compose the answer “why not?” With the realization that there is no fatherly force out there, comes the concession that you might also have thought of yourself in a very conceited way.

This lesson in self-limitation will show you exactly how arrogant it is to think of oneself as meaningful in a cosmos whose scales are so colossal and whose environment is so hostile. In this I sometimes find comfort, while I other times succumb to the constraints of my vocabulary. Comfort because I know I have won, what Dawkins called, the lottery of life. The attitude on life as an exceptional shot at consciousness, at sadness and misery, at love and friendship despite tremendous odds, is to me a consoling thing.

Other times, I miserably fail to articulate anything of what present existence feels like. What it really is to be, with all its attendant misery and pain and the flickers of irony and smiles. It is in those moments you become the captive of literature, poetry, music and art. It’s in these moments you can connect with contemporaries or conscious beings before you. When Omar Khayyam admitted a thousand years ago that “there was a door to which he found no keyand a “veil through which he might not see”, I found that in a way, his consciousness outlived his body, because his thoughts are still with us. He knew of the taunting irony of life and with it he found consolation in the inconsolable(!). And in that I also find that death isn't absolutely annihilating. Because you'll leave something, anything behind, with which you'll hope to touch or inspire a grain of consciousness after your death.

And as I'm also a hedonist, nothing swells life like a single malt scotch, a good joke or a good round of sex. Although I wouldn't say family and friends would be a trivial thing to give your life to either. Wink

Reply #74 - April 12, 2013, 01:08 AM

When I look at the history of humanity, and all of the things that we have achieved over the millennia, the building and planning of great cities, the technology that we have developed, that art that has been created, the societies that we have created and the morals that we have gradually evolved, and all the great things that humanity has yet to achieve, because let’s face it, humanity has only existed for a few thousand years and we will probably be around for at least another million. Think of all the worlds out there that our descendants will one day explore!

Now the theist view is that all of this is temporary, that this universe is not even a real one, it is artificial, created by a God as some experiment with a definitive ending date, over which we humans have no control. So all the great figures in history, and all the things they achieved, both for the good and for the bad, all of it was utterly pointless, a total waste of time: Hammurabi, Sargon of Akkad, Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Caesar, Justinian, Darwin, Einstein, Newton, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, etc. etc. Why did Julius Caesar cross the Rubicon River and end the Roman Republic? If there is a God then this act has no purpose, he may as well have just stayed at home and done nothing with his life.

Whenever I hear a theist talking about “Judgement Day”, I always think to myself, wow, what a terribly pessimistic and uninspiring view of the Universe these religious people have! They actually believe that all of this universe, so rich and vast, and all of the achievements of the billions of people that have lived on this planet, it is all about to just disappear, as if it never happened.

Now I know that scientists also believe that the Universe will not last forever either, but at least it is an open-ended question, there is no definitive end in sight. Perhaps in a billion years the Universe will end and everything that humanity achieved will disappear, but a billion years is a very long time, and by that time we may have the technology to prolong the Universe indefinitely.

Reply #75 - April 12, 2013, 05:49 PM

It may not be as deliberate as you may think, TDR. A lot of these folks have grown up their entire lives thinking that Islam is synonymous with good. Whatever they deem as good in their own minds in turn must also be Islamic. Because the Qur’an and hadith are full of vague references about honoring women and everyone being equal before Allah, etc, they take this to mean a full on Islamic endorsement for their own views. The other, nasty stuff gets completely ignored like it does not exist. What they fail to realize is that the values they treasure are actually modern and liberal in nature, not Islamic.  It’s a tough case of cognitive dissonance to have to deal with.

God is Love.

Reply #76 - May 02, 2013, 02:26 PM

Just wanted to make this clear for anyone who is interested and meets any of those who deny this verse means "Hit".

Here are some verses from the Qur'an where the verb daraba means "Hit". I want you to notice how it takes it's verb directly and is not qualified by any preposition or word like Similitude etc...

In each case it means "Hit"

اضْرِبُوهُنَّ  "Hit them"

(4.34)

يَضْرِبُونَ وُجُوهَهُمْ وَأَدْبَارَهُمْ  "They hit their faces and their backs"

(8.50)

ضَرْبَ الرِّقَابِ  "Hit the necks" (chop their heads off)

(47.4)

اضْرِبُوهُ  "Hit it"

(2.73)

Now in the following verses the verb daraba doesn't mean Hit - at least not in a literal sense - but notice that it - and/or it's object - are qualified by a preposition and/or a word like Similitude in the Earth...

ضَرَبَ اللَّهُ مَثَلًا  Allah strikes a parable

(14:24)

ضَرْبًا فِي الْأَرْضِ  "Striking in the Earth" (i.e to go forth in the land)

(2:273)

نَضْرِبُ عَنْكُمُ الذِّكْرَ    We strike away the reminder from you. (We turn it away)

(43.5)

If   اضْرِبُوهُنَّ   "Hit them" meant "Leave them alone/Go away from them" it would have to have a preposition like عن (From/Away)

So it would have to be  واضربوا عنهن = And strike away from them

If it meant "Strike up a similitude for them" it would have to have a preposition like  ل (to/for) and a qualifying word like "Parable" مثلا

So it would have to be something like:   واضربوا لهن مثلا = And strike up for them a parable/similitude

If it meant "and go forth" it would have to have a preposition like في and a qualifying word like "Earth" الارض

So it would have to be something like:   واضربوا في الارض  = And go forth in the land

God is Love.

Reply #77 - May 02, 2013, 02:29 PM

I've been studying "Islamic Feminism" and the conclusion I've come to is that this is one of the steps that leads Muslims (mainly female...) to finally leave Islam. Many of them are so at odds with the misogyny in the Qur'an and its patriarchal interpretation that they are trying to go back to the sources such as the ones posted above, read in 7th century language, know the contexts of the revelation etc etc.

They also often say that if Allah didn't mean that men are superior to women in any way (and they don't think this can be the true message of Islam because considering oneself superior is a kind of shirk and anyway Allah prescribed justice and equality of treatment for all human beings), then they should find the true, original meaning. They also say that if they finally conclude that Allah DID mean that men are superior and women must submit and obey, they will accept that.

But as they are Muslims fighting for what they perceive to be injustice to human beings, HOW can they sit back and accept that? Once they start to investigate the reality of Islam, I think they may begin to understand how far Muslims have been hoodwinked.

IMHO, when people see an injustice, they react from a human level, not a religious one. Yet Islam seems to make people blind to this. When I read what's going on in Iranian jails and what Ayatollah Khomeini prescribed (e.g. thighing etc), I feel angry and sick. Normally, when I talk about this to Muslims I know, they are firstly disbelieving (it's western propaganda etc.), then they say, oh well, those are Shias and they're heretics and those things are unIslamic. When you show them the relevant hadith, they say - well, that's not a reliable source or was made up by Shias. When I ask why Islamic countries haven't ratified parts of the UN Declaration of Human Rights, they say that the Qur'an is ALL about human rights and Allah knows best, and if I'm saying women are treated injustly, I simply can't accept the divine truth and am arrogant.

I've come to the conclusion that the more Muslims try to understand the Qur'an, the more likely they are to realise that it isn't clear at all - basically you have to be able to read the 7th century text and know in detail the social and other history. Many Islamic scholars say that translations are simply guidance, so how many millions of Muslims who don't speak Arabic aren't understanding Islam at all? And, if it can't be understood by the ordinary man and woman, what's the relevance?

Not just, not clear, not relevant, not rational, not factual, divisive... I'm glad I'm not a Muslim

B

God is Love.

Reply #78 - June 05, 2013, 01:52 AM

Yes. The Lust of sex and multiple partners, the Gluttony of infinite food and fruits, the Sloth of not doing anything, the Vanity of being specially permitted in heaven while everyone else burned, the Greed of infinite wealth and palaces. All rewards for submitting and escaping the Wrath Allah because of his very human-like Pride as an omnipotent being. 

Reply #79 - June 05, 2013, 02:10 AM

This definitely belongs here:

Da'wah-gandists have shifted their focus from the specificities of Islam to these sub-standard, pathetic, already debunked William Lane Craig style Christian apologetics about the existence of god etc etc

Like Islam itself, they are plaigarised, and second-hand, which seems very appropriate.

Its easy to see why they made this desperate shift in da'wah focus. The details of Islam are so obviously absurd and ethically flawed that they consider an escape into generality, no matter how flea ridden, weak and stolen from Christian apologetics, to be an escape from the close-up scrutiny of the specific details and truth claims of Islam (Muhammad, Sunnah, the Quran, Hadith) that terrifies them. When the light of liberalism, secularism, modernity is shone on Islam it really is the naked emperor. Hence the hysteria, the threats, and in the case of new-age dawah-gandists, the laughable recourse to plaigarised, inane 'big concept' general apologetics.

Reply #80 - June 05, 2013, 04:40 PM

Dahir,

I am seriously beginning to doubt your capacity to absorb and comprehend the written word. Short of growing a patchy beard and posting an incoherent video of myself on youtube spewing out regurgitated chucks of tired apologetics , I am not sure that I will ever find a medium of communication that you will be able to relate to. Nonetheless, I will attempt to get through to you. In the likely event that I fail at that endeavor, at least these arguments will be here and on the record for others capable following a train of abstract thought.

You have accused me of veering off topic several times. This is understandable, as the only topic you wish to address is the “deductive reasoning” argument for the existence for your particular brand of god. This argument is nothing new. It has been used over and over again by theists of all creeds and delusions. The Achilles’ heel of this argument, however, is that it only works when I give you the reigns, allow you to dismiss the plausibility of all other hypotheses and explanations, and leave you to arrive at your own pre-established conclusion that the God of Islam is the only possible explanation for the existence of the universe as we know it. In reality, however, this is quite simply not the case.

With that said, if you are still with me, I will demonstrate the following observations regarding your reasoning. (You may want to read this aloud, or grab a highlighter to help you follow along. I know you tend to get lost when people don’t follow your own little debating formula that you got from Hamza Tortoise.)

Consider these four observations, as we will be looking at each one in depth:

Observation 1: A deity is not the only possible explanation for the existence of the universe.

Observation 2: The “Allah” of Islam is most certainly not the only possible deistic explanation for the existence of the universe.

Observation 3: The “Allah” of Islam becomes completely eliminated as a possibility when we consider the claims of Islam regarding the universe.

Observation 4: Given the less than certain nature of all of the above (what we would usually refer to as reasonable doubt),  any rewards or punishments based on belief or disbelief in any of the above arguments would be unjust and incompatible with any idea of mercy.

Let’s start with observation number one, shall we? As has been stated here before, there are numerous plausible hypotheses regarding the origin of the universe that do not require an appeal to any sort of divine being. Physicists have proposed many ideas that explain how the universe as we know it now exists. I won’t spend much time discussing these, as I feel it would be far more fulfilling for you to read them yourself. Indeed it could very well be the case that the state of the universe before the big bang (before time/space/matter) was all there was. This is just as believable as the existence of any other sort of existence. Or, there could be numerous universes out there, with each universe coming into existence through a scientific means that we do not understand as of yet. The possibilities are endless. By saying “I don’t know” here, what you are really saying is “I don’t have enough information to form a conviction one way or another."

But I know you, Dahir. I know that “I don’t know” is simply not a fulfilling answer for you. You need to know exactly what happened. If there was a big bang that occurred, you want to know exactly who banged it. Fair enough. Let’s move on to Observation 2.

This is where you begin your simplistic argument that “every cause must have a cause, in infinite regression, until we arrive at an uncaused cause. This uncaused cause, you would argue, must also have a will because it “decided” to cause this chain of events. You will go on to explain how he must have communicated this will in order to give us purpose, and so on and so forth, until you arrive at the conclusion that you happened to be born in to—namely that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger, salallahu alayhi wa sallam.

The problem with this argument is that it is not unique to your particular imaginary friend. Sikhs can and do use this argument to prove the existence of Waheguru, the Sikh God, and to prove the truth of the Guru Granth Sahib (the Sikh holy book). Jews can and do use this argument to prove the existence of YHWH and the truth of the Torah. Christians can and do use this argument to prove the existence of the Holy Trinity and the truth of the Bible. Each of these groups can and do use these same arguments to prove their own particular spiritual franchise. Indeed, the style of argument usually employed by your friend Mr. Tortoise is actually the trademark of Christian apologist William Lane Craig. Don’t you find it a bit suspicious that Mr. Craig, whom Mr. Tortoise mimics for his dawah spiel, actually arrived at a completely different conclusion from Hamza?    

But most importantly regarding this observation, a deist (not a theist) can use this argument to prove that while a conscious being could have brought the universe into existence, this being only “got the ball rolling.” It showed no interest in what happened after the big bang and does not care if, 14 billion years later, a few sophisticated mammals love and praise him and grovel on the ground at the sound of his name. While there is not much evidence to point to this position, it is actually not as completely absurd as the “Allah of Islam” hypothesis. Indeed, looking at the gradual, haphazard, and random, ways that things happen both here on earth and in our indescribably vast universe, it appears that if there is some sort of deity, he/she/it doesn’t give a great deal of shits about what goes on in this tiny corner of our particular galaxy.

Ah but Dahir, you are still unfulfilled aren’t you. There has to be a God right? And that God just had to have spoken to an illiterate desert merchant in 7th century Arabia in a regional dialect that is no longer spoken as a native language anywhere on Earth.

Fortunately, since we have the alledged words of that god available at our own disposal, it is easy to verify his claims of being the all wise, all powerful, and all merciful Master of All, SWT.

This is where the discussion of all of the flaws in the Qur’an and hadith come into play. This is not off topic in the least. On the contrary, it is extremely relevant to our discussion. If Allah claims in the Qur’an that the Earth was created before the heavens (as he does and as the tafsir attests to) then we know that whoever is claiming to speak for Allah is lying. I listed many examples of the scientific and historic flaws in the Qur’an before, but we can have that conversation later on. I will suffice with a statement that I am confident that I can back up: the qur’an contains scientific errors, historical errors, and clear plagiarism of debunked myths from earlier cultures and traditions. Thus, the Qur’an is not the perfect word of the creator of the universe, and thus, Allah is not the deistic cause of existence that we would look for in your argument for the existence of a deity.

This brings us to my final observation. In case you forgot what it was, let me remind you:

Observation 4: Given the less than certain nature of all of the above (what we would usually refer to as reasonable doubt),  any rewards or punishments based on belief or disbelief in any of the above arguments would be unjust and incompatible with any idea of mercy.

Belief is not something that human beings have complete control over. We filter evidence and information through our own processes that are unique to us. We then believe or disbelieve things based on those criteria. A sikh who has used your same arguments for the existence of Waheguru has just as much reason to believe that he is correct as you do to believe that you are correct. He will suffer from the same confirmation biases that lead him to his conclusions as you do that lead you to yours. When you asses the situation completely objectively, however, neither of you have overwhelmingly conclusive evidence on your side.

To threaten either of you with sadistic torture for the conclusions you reach, which have as much to do with where, when, and to whom you were born as anything else, is ridiculous beyond words. Indeed, threats and rewards have no bearing on what we should believe to be true. Just because you threaten me with hell does nothing to make your arguments any more sound. Indeed, it only shows me the weakness of your argument that you had to resort to the old “might is right” fallacy.

When I was a teenager, I came across some information debunking the United States moon landing. As I had not really considered that the moon landing could have been fake, I had always believed in it by default. This evidence shook my faith for a while. I researched each claim one by one. In the end, I still can not say for certain that we absolutely landed on the moon, but based on the evidence I read, I now believe that we did. I could always be wrong, but I don’t think I am.

Suppose that during that discovery phase, the US government threatened me with jail time or fines for doubting the moon landing. It would not much matter, because I can only believe in what I can logically conclude as a person.

As a person, I have logically concluded that Islam can not be the one true religion of an all merciful god. If that god does somehow turn out to be true, then he is neither wise nor merciful for torturing me eternally simply for being wrong. Therefore, he as he describes himself—a merciful powerful being who will torture you for being flawed—can not exist.

God is Love.

Reply #81 - June 20, 2013, 08:55 AM

I agree with Hamza Tzortzis. That is why I believe Jurassic Park was the work of Allah, because no other movie has these attributes:

1. Contains a lot of dinosaurs.

2. Soundtrack by John Williams.

3. Profited about $1 billion including merchandise.

4. Won a bunch of awards from different academies of motion film.

5. Spark a profound interest on dinosaurs among the general public.

As you can see, non of these qualities are subjective at all, and are instead objective qualities that can be measured. And also, no other movie in the history of cinema possess all of these qualities. Finally, attempts have been made to replicate Jurassic Park, such as Jurassic Park II and Jurassic Park III, but clearly both movies have failed to possess these same attributes. All of this points to the fact that the movie Jurassic Park is in fact inimitable, which is impossible if it were the work of a mere mortal man such as Steven Spielberg. Thus the movie Jurassic Park is clearly a signpost to the transcendent. Thus Allah exist, and Steven Spielberg was his Messenger.

God is Love.

Reply #82 - July 27, 2013, 06:19 PM

Hey everyone - just a quick reminder to please post here any amazing, insightful, thoughtful, funny, unique and memorable posts you may across from your fellow members of the forum. We use the posts mentioned here from time to time to feature on the homepage (look for the section 'Featured Posts'). So please use the Quote function and post here people's posts that you think really need to be kept in this special Appreciations thread for posterity.

Thanks Smiley

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #83 - August 06, 2013, 12:44 AM

You seem unfamiliar with the law of emoticons.

fuck you
     Reply #84 - August 06, 2013, 02:20 AM

Always nice to see a thread worth reading  Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #85 - August 09, 2013, 03:42 PM

That's the point of art, right? To lose yourself? Losing yourself seems haram though. Being human seems haram when you examine everything.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #86 - August 11, 2013, 12:41 AM

The cradle of civilization is the middle east, 6000 years ago Uruk was the first society of humans.
    Babylonian maths still exist to this day, i.e. base 12 numbers that are used for timekeeping.
    Rudimentary motors were invented as toys in persia, long before the industrial revolution, though calculus had not been discovered. 
    I am reminded of an episode of Family guy were Stewie and Brian travel to an alternative reality where Christianity did not hinder scientific development and it showed humanity about 500 years more advanced. I think Islam probably had a greater detrimental effect on human technological development seeing as how it effected the region that was the natural place for advancement of civilization.

If humans ever discover a developing alien race on another planet and were afraid that they were developing too fast, they should introduce them to Islam and see how it fucks them up.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #87 - August 11, 2013, 12:46 AM

Islam can be extremely attractive. Its straightforwardness, its simplicity, its appeal to a direct connection between the creator and the creation are all things that I found very appealing when I was a Muslim. Also, as Quod mentioned, being a part of a community bonded by certain beliefs and practices can be very comforting.

The problem, however, is that Islam does not assert itself as an option but rather the only option. It subjects you to all sorts of verbal, mental, and social abuse if you even begin to question it.

It deflects all of its internal weaknesses and instead casts them onto you, the person." If you doubt me, you must be evil," Islam says. "If I don't make sense to you, you must have sinned. If you find contradictions in me, it is because you are too dumb to fully understand."

Islam manipulates the trust that we put in it. It manipulates our own doubt to use to its advantage. 

"Thalikal kitabu laa raiba feeh" Heh.

Laa raib my ass. There is plenty of raib. It's saturated with raib. That is why the biggest sin is doubt and disbelief. If it were true, it would not need to use such tactics.

As I see it, we are the jury and Islam is on trial. Whether or not Islam can present a sufficient case for itself or not is simply not our problem. Either Islam can convince us that it is true and we will believe, or it will leave us with plenty of reasonable doubt and cause us to disbelieve. Either way, it's not our fault. It's not your fault. You can not threaten the jury for reaching its verdict.

Reply #88 - August 11, 2013, 12:50 AM

I was just about to post that.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #89 - August 11, 2013, 12:59 AM

All HM's stuff should be in here Afro

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 17 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »