Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim woman sacked for refusing to wear hijab

(Read 2323 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim woman sacked for refusing to wear hijab
     OP - October 03, 2010, 12:15 PM

Very interesting result for the lady. A very good, hopeful result in general.

Of course, her boss is an utter creep. But you have to admire this lady for standing up to this vile man, especially as it will have made her susceptible to the slings and arrows of chauvinist Muslims.

Interesting to see a Muslim convicted of religious discrimination, for trying to impose a dress code on a woman. Great to see a moderate Muslim fighting against a bigoted Muslim.

But most of all this exemplifies a certain truth - that when talking about 'freedom of choice' in respect of niqab and burqa and even sometimes hijab, certain contextual coercive pressures imposed by some Muslims render 'freedom of choice' irrelevant. Many women are coerced by social pressures into wearing hijab, niqab etc.

Anyone who doesn't understand this doesn't understand the issues here.

+++++

Muslim girl sacked for refusing to wear a headscarf

by Simon Wright 3/10/2010

A muslim woman was fired from her job at an estate agents because she wouldn't wear a headscarf.

Ghazala Khan, 31, was sacked by devout Muslim Masood Ghafoor after he claimed she was "not respectable" because her hair was showing.

An industrial tribunal ruled she had been the victim of sexual and religious discrimination after hearing white, non-Muslin women she worked with were not asked to wear headscarves.

Ghazala, who was awarded £13,500 in compensation, was not told she would have to cover her hair when taken on to run Go Go Real Estate, close to her home in Leeds, in June. But within days she was left feeling "uncomfortable and intimidated" when Mr Ghafoor accused her of not having been brought up as a "good Muslim". He told her his wife and female relatives wore full veils or burkhas in public - and accused her parents of giving her too much freedom.

And he sacked her after just two weeks in the job. Ghazala told the tribunal: "He said members of the Muslim community had been gossiping and that I was not respectable.

"I found his remarks hurtful and offensive. The following day, he phoned me to say that he was terminating my employment." Ghazala was awarded the money for loss of earnings and injury to her feelings.

She told the tribunal she has worn a trouser suit at her interview for the job - and had made it clear she was a nonpractising Muslim and did not cover her hair.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/10/03/muslim-girl-sacked-for-refusing-to-wear-a-headscarf-115875-22604937/

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Re: Muslim woman sacked for refusing to wear hijab
     Reply #1 - October 03, 2010, 12:29 PM

Good article, thanks.

But most of all this exemplifies a certain truth - that when talking about 'freedom of choice' in respect of niqab and burqa and even sometimes hijab, certain contextual coercive pressures imposed by some Muslims render 'freedom of choice' irrelevant. Many women are coerced by social pressures into wearing hijab, niqab etc.

Anyone who doesn't understand this doesn't understand the issues here.

I think this stems from the way people who don't understand the issue are just illiterate or have forgotten how we got to where we are with respect to freedom, and as a result when to appropriately apply liberalism, and when not to.
     Reply #2 - October 03, 2010, 01:09 PM

Of course, there should be no compulsion in religion Smiley

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #3 - October 05, 2010, 01:10 PM

Ooohhh very interesting! I like the role reversal!

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »