Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Top UK supermarkets secretly sell only halal meat

(Read 68412 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 1314 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Top UK supermarkets secretly sell only halal meat
     Reply #360 - September 28, 2010, 11:04 PM

Yeah and the vegetable shipping industry uses refrigeration too so vegetarians are a menace.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #361 - September 28, 2010, 11:09 PM

Oh, hang on. You do have a refrigerator in your house, don't you? And decaying vegetable matter does produce methane, does it not? You planet-murdering bastard! How can you live with yourself?  mysmilie_977

Reply #362 - September 28, 2010, 11:10 PM

true but in order to make meat , raise a cow u need its food .... double the trouble

Confucius:
    "What you do not like done to yourself, do not unto others."
     Reply #363 - September 28, 2010, 11:11 PM

so ur comparing methane production of meat to that of veggies??

Confucius:
     Reply #364 - September 28, 2010, 11:12 PM

In a word, the meat industry is an existential menace.

In that case your farting is an existential menace since your farts contain methane and several other greenhouse gases.

Cheesy

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #365 - September 28, 2010, 11:16 PM

The fact remains that methane is a driving factor of warming:

Nonsense

Not a reliable source
     Reply #366 - September 28, 2010, 11:19 PM

so ur comparing methane production of meat to that of veggies??

Yes. I'm comparing methane production with methane production. It's a driving force behind global warming, don't cha know?  Wink

Reply #367 - September 28, 2010, 11:21 PM

The chemical composition of flatulence is not invariably methane.

Why then, the last time I brought my lighter to one, did a blue torched flame rip a 50 pence size hole straight through my undies?  

(thankfully Ive not needed to wax my bikini line since, and it provides easy access)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #368 - September 28, 2010, 11:29 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7600005.stm

Confucius:
     Reply #369 - September 28, 2010, 11:34 PM

There are various possibilities for reducing the greenhouse gas emissions associated with farming animals.

They range from scientific approaches, such as genetically engineering strains of cattle that produce less methane flatus, to reducing the amount of transport involved through eating locally reared animals.

That's what I do. No land clearing or factory farming involved.

Reply #370 - September 28, 2010, 11:40 PM

accually its not about you, its about the entire population if u think that the population can be fed on eating locally reared animals .. well i will have to call that naive

Confucius:
     Reply #371 - September 28, 2010, 11:42 PM

Yeah I know, but since I can do it then I might as well enjoy it. Afro

Reply #372 - September 28, 2010, 11:43 PM

Reply #373 - September 28, 2010, 11:56 PM

For example, in one study of the feces of nine adults, only five of the samples contained archaea capable of producing methane.[1] Similar results are found in samples of gas obtained from within the rectum.

In other words, 56% of farts contain significant amounts of methane. Have you measured yours today?

Reply #374 - September 29, 2010, 12:11 AM

Reply #375 - September 29, 2010, 12:17 AM

^ Thanks for conceding my point that flatulence is not invaraibly methane laden

Thanks for not disputing my point that vegetarians often fart methane.

To recap this meandering debate: We've established that sentience is the basis upon which we acccord moral consideration. The corollary of which being that animals, possessing sentience, are entitled to our moral concern. Going further, the meat industry kills infinitely more people annually than does war by squandering vast quantities of grain and water that might otherwise feed the starving poor.

Vegetarianism saves human lives as well the health of the planet.  QED.

To recap this meandering debate, there is plenty of food in the world. It just isn't evenly distributed. Consequently it is the distribution problem that should be addressed rather than blaming famine on things like meat in diets.

We should have already also established that using sentience as a basis for concern is basically narcissistic since it is effectively saying that the more like us they are the better we should treat them. This denies "lower" lifeforms the consideration that may well be their due, if one is to be totally fair about things.

Eating meat does not harm the planet or cost lives if done sensibly. QED. 

Reply #376 - September 29, 2010, 04:36 AM

Highly unlikely. I doubt that Muslims have magical superpowers to have known insider trading information way ahead of everyone else.

The fact is the NZ lamb production has been turned over to halal for the "benefit" of "Muslim countries" that are buying the stuff with that knowledge. Therefore that knowledge is easily available and since Muslims in the UK are the ones who are most likely to want halal meat they are more likely to already be aware of the situation.

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #377 - September 29, 2010, 05:07 AM

DH, i'm beginning to lose my patience with you. Stop insinuating things, go read what I wrote instead. I'm not wasting another day of my life replying to you.

What have I "insinuated"? My accusation that you are applying an Islamesque double standard in saying that non-Muslim objectors to halal "should" do this or that whilst stipulating no "shoulds" for Muslims is open and clear. I will assume, in the absence of a contrary statement from you, that you disagree with my above contention: MUSLIMS should stop fretting about whether or not the meat they eat has had some silly prayer said over it. If they CHOOSE to belong to a cult that disallows them from doing so then that is THEIR choice and THEIR problem. .  In other words, if a food outlet does not cater for Muslim dietary "needs", it is not the food outlet that is causing the Muslims a problem but the Muslims are causing THEMSELVES a problem by choosing  to belong a cult that places such a constraint on what they can eat. NON-Muslims objectors to having their food supply chain sneakily shariaized are not to be disparaged for their objection. To borrow Q-man terminology, it is the MUSLIMS who should "shut the fuck up" and be thankful they are not starving rather than whingeing that the meat their kids are getting at school hasn't had some glassy-eyed braindead prick chanting shit over it.

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #378 - September 29, 2010, 08:01 AM

Your command of science proves as defective as your English. Methane is a driving cause of global warming.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122638800

You're confusing refridgeration CFCs with Methane MAB. CFCs have been banned for several years now after James Lovelock's ground breaking research.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #379 - September 29, 2010, 08:07 AM

Reply #380 - September 29, 2010, 11:46 AM

^ Thank you for sharing. I have exchanged error for truth. Let me know whatcha think about my larger contention.

There is no argument against your larger contention, unless you're debating Jeremy Clarkson's anonymous internet clone and / or have been drinking the industry sponsored kool-aid*.

Quote from: UN Food and Agriculture Organisation
    [The global livestock sector is] one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global.

--Livestock's Long Shadow: Environmental Issues and Options, 2006

*Be careful, I hear excessve tofu consumption can produce moobs the likes of which would make your wife jealous.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #381 - September 29, 2010, 12:43 PM

Yes it happened to a bloke I know.

Reply #382 - September 29, 2010, 01:03 PM

I think worrying about an Islamic take over through halal meat scores on the very bottom of my worries. take away my Bacon though, and there will be Hell to pay.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #383 - September 29, 2010, 01:05 PM

As long as we understand that, given the option, the Muslim community would likely take away your bacon.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #384 - September 29, 2010, 02:14 PM

Reply #385 - October 01, 2010, 06:23 AM

As long as we understand that, given the option, the Muslim community would likely take away your bacon.

I think under sharia as laid out in the major Islamic schools Christian dhimmis would be permitted to raise and eat bacon as long as they did so in away that did not offend the "sensibilities" of Muslims. However, the Qur'an seems to suggest that Allah would like the Jews and Christians NOT to eat bacon as it has been prohibited to them in the "messages" "sent down" to prophets Musa and Isa. Perhaps someone could clarify.

Reply #386 - October 03, 2010, 04:07 PM

DH, things are looking up

Waitrose forced to ditch halal lamb from Prince of Wales' Duchy range

Waitrose is to introduce a range of non-halal lamb products as a  response to customers’ concerns about its meat supplies.

Until now, all lamb sold by the store has been slaughtered in accordance with Islamic law, with a Muslim reciting a prayer in Arabic over the meat.

But Waitrose said last night that, from now on, organic Welsh lamb from its Duchy Originals range – established by Prince Charles to market produce from his estates – will no longer be halal.

More here :
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317312/Waitrose-forced-ditch-halal-lamb-Duchy-range.html#ixzz11IpB4qcN

First comment to the article :

Boycott all Halal suppliers and they will soon stop this disgusting practise!And any government with backbone would make it illegal in this country too!

- paul james, connahs quay, 3/10/2010 13:38

Hear, hear.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #387 - October 03, 2010, 04:14 PM

^  A pyrrhic victory. Let the supermarket chains quit stocking kosher meat as well. Should any mountebank raise the red herring of antisemitism I will proceed to mount him like a bison.
     Reply #388 - October 03, 2010, 05:29 PM

Huh?
    What is the pyrrhic aspect of this victory ? Who has been devastated ?

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #389 - October 03, 2010, 05:47 PM

^ I've been devastated my sweet. After all my sweating and striving to abolish the halal and kosher industry, after all the energy expended on putting down their witless arguments, I get only a measly compromise. For this I should be happy?

Or are you just flirting with me? I'm flatterd, but is it true that you're awfully plain looking? I don't believe it.
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 1314 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »