Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Top UK supermarkets secretly sell only halal meat

(Read 68394 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 8 9 1011 12 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Top UK supermarkets secretly sell only halal meat
     Reply #270 - September 28, 2010, 01:39 PM

I thought eating the flesh of your own species produces stuff like mad cow disease, or is that just an old wives tale to discourage cannibalism, the spoilsports.

That's a disease in parts of New Guinea, but I haven't heard of it elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #271 - September 28, 2010, 01:39 PM

Two points here. First, if eating meat is beneficial for our metabolism (in moderation) as would be implied by the brains thing, then doesn't this make us omnivores?

I stated no position on the matter, in fact I said I was on the fence.

Second, the whole men having sex with whoever they wanted bit is quite likely more mythological than factual. The ancient cultures we know of tend to regulate sex, not provide a free for all.  

Perhaps they did, perhaps the ones before those which we know little to nothing of were more like packs of lions or other animals where an alpha males forces himself on the group. Still, not a basis for my ethical code.

You offering? Yum Yum

If you can first outwit and slay me, else you're on my menu, big boy.  Kiss

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #272 - September 28, 2010, 01:40 PM

I thought eating the flesh of your own species produces stuff like mad cow disease, or is that just an old wives tale to discourage cannibalism, the spoilsports.

I think its the brain you're not supposed to eat.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #273 - September 28, 2010, 01:41 PM

no what i am suggesting is that they should eat watever they lay their hands on and they are not morally obligated, if such a moral obligation ever exsist ...
    hence the fish and poultry question

Oh. If the situation arises where the only foods available are of a certain type, fish, poultry, pig, etc then sure. That is your only means for survival so be it.

If the worse comes to the worse, then even human meat is acceptable if it means surviving a few more days until you're rescued from a disaster.

Causing the minimal suffering you possibly can is a good outlook, especially if can be healthier, cause less damage to our planet and result in more people being fed.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #274 - September 28, 2010, 01:43 PM

meat makes u smarter

so any evidence for that ??

Food for thought: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128849908

Reply #275 - September 28, 2010, 01:43 PM

I think its the brain you're not supposed to eat.

There are other bits of animal which are banned from human consumption in the UK, afaik. Such as the spinal cord of cows (perhaps other animals?), etc.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #276 - September 28, 2010, 01:45 PM

Causing the minimal suffering you possibly can is a good outlook, especially if can be healthier, cause less damage to our planet and result in more people being fed.

Or reduce the population to a more sensible level then eat wotcha like.

Reply #277 - September 28, 2010, 01:55 PM

meat makes u smarter

so any evidence for that ??

A case of chicken & the egg - but better seen the other way round, you have to be smarter to get meat.  

Therefore smarter animals have a competitive advantage sourcing meat, particularly when advanced brains require something like an additional 20% of calorific intake.

You're more likely to get that eating a sheep as opposed to grass.  For that reason brains got smarter & smarter and got better at killing more & more.  

This supposedly continued until our cranial size grew to the limit of the female pelvis, resulting in still births and then it stopped.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #278 - September 28, 2010, 01:59 PM

Yes but the disgust is only cultural.

Would you eat it. If not, would eat stewed monkey?  Why not?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #279 - September 28, 2010, 02:03 PM

Would you eat it. If not, would eat stewed monkey?  Why not?

If I had been raised in a Polynesian or Melanesian culture during the 19th century or earlier I quite likely would have thought the old long pig was fukn scrummy. Despite not having had the benefit of such a salubrious upbringing I would eat human meat if necessary. I wouldn't be at all surprised it it was scrummy too.

Reply #280 - September 28, 2010, 02:07 PM

What if you ate the next Einstein or Shakespeare?

Reply #281 - September 28, 2010, 02:10 PM

Shit, I dunno. I might get smarter or learn to write plays n stuff. Worth a try.

Reply #282 - September 28, 2010, 02:14 PM

A case of chicken & the egg - but better seen the other way round, you have to be smarter to get meat.  

Therefore smarter animals have a competitive advantage sourcing meat, particularly when advanced brains require something like an additional 20% of calorific intake.

You're more likely to get that eating a sheep as opposed to grass.  For that reason brains got smarter & smarter and got better at killing more & more.  

This supposedly continued until our cranial size grew to the limit of the female pelvis, resulting in still births and then it stopped.

i guess its correct meat is packed with more calories .. unlike veggies with more fibers thus less calories, helped us to attain bigger brains, (as food wasnt really abundant back then) ,obviously it was a factor but i doubt it was the only factor giving us our intelligence... but according to the article raw meat also required a powerful gut ... so ultimetely it was cooking and tool making that lead us down such evolutionary path .. as main factors ,perhaps meat was the initial driving force but not the most powerful
    but is it a matter of NEED!? do we NEED to eat meat?

Confucius:
    "What you do not like done to yourself, do not unto others."
     Reply #283 - September 28, 2010, 02:15 PM

Shit, I dunno. I might get smarter or learn to write plays n stuff. Worth a try.

New AV for you:

Reply #284 - September 28, 2010, 02:17 PM

but is it a matter of NEED!? do we NEED to eat meat?

Well, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Reply #285 - September 28, 2010, 02:18 PM

Fava beans are bad for you.

Reply #286 - September 28, 2010, 02:18 PM

Or reduce the population to a more sensible level then eat wotcha like.

I'll leave the implementation of population reduction in your hands then. Maybe some cannibalism?

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #287 - September 28, 2010, 02:20 PM

That'll work. That's how the Polynesians handled it.

Reply #288 - September 28, 2010, 02:20 PM

u meat people and ur bigotry  Roll Eyes

Confucius:
     Reply #289 - September 28, 2010, 02:21 PM

All this bigotry is making me hungry.

Reply #290 - September 28, 2010, 02:22 PM

If I had been raised in a Polynesian or Melanesian culture during the 19th century or earlier I quite likely would have thought the old long pig was fukn scrummy. Despite not having had the benefit of such a salubrious upbringing I would eat human meat if necessary. I wouldn't be at all surprised it it was scrummy too.

I meant eating monkey stew now, and when its not necessary.  Yet you are happy to eat pigs now, when its not necessary.  

Whats do you think the reason boils (scuse the pun) down to?  

Do you accept its down to culture like Dawkins points out?  Is it different to the way some end up accepting child marriage, intolerance & murder in religion?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #291 - September 28, 2010, 02:22 PM

I have nothing against Polynesians.

Reply #292 - September 28, 2010, 02:24 PM

I meant eating monkey stew now, and when its not necessary.  Yet you are happy to eat pigs now, when its not necessary.

Was talking about eating humans. Monkey Stew? Yeah I'd give that a go. 

Reply #293 - September 28, 2010, 02:25 PM

As is stated in the article above, chimps may occasionally kill and eat an animal or even another chimp, but that does not make them carnivores or omnivore, just a cat eating a piece of bread does not make it an omnivore.

The taxonomy of our make-up is that of herbivores. The fact of our ability to digest animal protein does not change that. But it does introduce many health hazards that is less prominent in vegetarians, such as heart disease, cancer and strokes.

In the past man hunted out of necessity when they were short on crops. Meat eating was a rare event. It wasn't daily like it is today.

Unscientific garbage, a goddamn lie spread by vegans as propaganda and not at all supported by the evidence (unless the evidence is cherry-picked). You animal liberationists disgust me-- bunch of spoiled-brat dishonest assholes with fucked-up priorities.

fuck you
     Reply #294 - September 28, 2010, 02:27 PM

Is it different to the way some end up accepting child marriage, intolerance & murder in religion?

Very different.

Reply #295 - September 28, 2010, 02:29 PM

u meat people and ur bigotry  Roll Eyes

Oh it wasn't bigotry at all. Just archaeology. They've dug up Polynesian history on quite a few islands and the result was always the same. Initially there were solid ecosystems with a large variety of species. The new arrivals (humans) ate them. Then they ran out of other species to eat and started on other people. Standard operating procedure and quite culturally acceptable at the time.

Even today in Maori culture in New Zealand you can say "The flesh of your ancestors is still sticking to my teeth" if you really want to piss someone off. It's a traditional (and very severe) insult since only slaves and the defeated were eaten.

Reply #296 - September 28, 2010, 02:31 PM

so it was a necessity?

Confucius:
     Reply #297 - September 28, 2010, 02:32 PM

After the revolution, Chairman Q will send all vegans to meat-eating reeducation camps.

fuck you
     Reply #298 - September 28, 2010, 02:33 PM

They thought so at the time, but it was also glorified.

Reply #299 - September 28, 2010, 02:36 PM

i just hope a more powerful alien speice doesnt invade the world with the same prespective of Q    Tongue

Confucius:
  • Previous page 1 ... 8 9 1011 12 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »