Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: So how often?
  • I go high and low constantly throughout the day
  • Maybe once or twice a week
  • Maybe once or twice a month
  • Rarely if at all

Topic: How often do you feel down in the dumps?

(Read 16640 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: How often do you feel down in the dumps?
     Reply #30 - September 26, 2010, 05:54 PM

I'm speaking from personal experience of it. What experience do you have?

Since when does diagnosis come from comparing personal experiences?
     Reply #31 - September 26, 2010, 05:55 PM

He's giving his opinion & trying to help.  Its a forum so of course he's not offering a definitive medical diagnosis, just saying the symptoms match..

+1

I was active in several depression and mental illness online forums, and I knew many people who got diagnosed with bipolar disorder with similar symptoms as BerberElla's. Just pointing out something that stood out to me, not offering any definitive medical diagnosis.

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    ~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #32 - September 26, 2010, 05:55 PM

who is a respected psychologist?
     Reply #33 - September 26, 2010, 05:57 PM

who is a respected psychologist?

Dr. Abood, of course. His efforts in upholding of medical standards in mental health are the stuff of legend. If only he weren't so expensive...

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #34 - September 26, 2010, 05:59 PM

He's giving his opinion & trying to help.  Its a forum so of course he's not offering a definitive medical diagnosis, just saying the symptoms match..

Just because the symptoms match doesn't mean anyone should be giving out diagnosis, unless you're a medical expert and know the history of the person in question.

If you tell me you've been so sick for so long and can't seem able to get rid of your illness, it'd be crazy for me to go and say you might have AIDS. There's a reason self-diagnosis websites and even doctors providing help online always tell you to see your doctor. For someone to diagnose you properly, s/he needs to a) be an expert, and b) know you well enough.
     Reply #35 - September 26, 2010, 06:04 PM

I was active in several depression and mental illness online forums, and I knew many people who got diagnosed with bipolar disorder with similar symptoms as BerberElla's. Just pointing out something that stood out to me, not offering any definitive medical diagnosis.

That might be so, but did those people get diagnosed by people on the forum?
     Reply #36 - September 26, 2010, 06:05 PM

We should probably tell Berbs to cancel that ebay order of prescription drugs for her forum-diagnosed bi-polar condition. :S

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #37 - September 26, 2010, 06:06 PM

BerberElla, get thee to a doctor.

There!

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    ~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #38 - September 26, 2010, 06:27 PM

Just because the symptoms match doesn't mean anyone should be giving out diagnosis, unless you're a medical expert and know the history of the person in question.

If you tell me you've been so sick for so long and can't seem able to get rid of your illness, it'd be crazy for me to go and say you might have AIDS.

It his opinion as a sufferer the symptoms match, and its best to get it checked out in case it is bi-polar. What I read into it, was that it might save her the pain of suffering for 40yrs for something that can be helped. 

AIDS is rather more serious & life-threatening medical condition rather than a psychological/mental one so its not a good example, but nevertheless I do hope if the symptoms I was suffering from matched someones on this forum they would be good enough to mention it, without others battering them down for doing so.

Neither I nor Berberella nor SJ are stupid enough to consider advice given over any forum as gospel, but it might be enough to provide us with the momentum to check it out for ourselves & then seek professional advice.  And thats the kind of help that this forum might provide if you let it.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #39 - September 26, 2010, 06:35 PM

I think Berbs probably has a better handle on her emotional/mental state, the clinical diagnosis, and what makes her tick than any of you are giving her credit for. She's pretty smart and has plenty of life experience and mental/emotional maturity-- she ain't a 16-year-old cutting herself while listening to The Cure in the dark. I did not necessarily read her post as a solicitation for advice or diagnosis, just saying how she feels and inviting others to share similar experiences. So this debate is really quite meaningless.

fuck you
     Reply #40 - September 26, 2010, 06:45 PM

Yep, you're right. I initially asked her only because I was curious, and wondering if she had already been diagnosed, not offering a diagnosis.

~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #41 - September 26, 2010, 06:58 PM

I chose daily. Most of the time it isn't enough to make me cry and even of it does I always try my hardest to keep it in (I hate people seeing me when I'm weak).
    I'm usually either feeling down or neutral with occasional bursts of happiness and usually feeling like shit.
     Reply #42 - September 26, 2010, 07:05 PM

--she ain't a 16-year-old cutting herself while listening to The Cure in the dark.

I'm not a self-harmer, though I've had the urge a few times, but I think it's quite sad that there's a stigma against people who self-harm. Sure, probably some do it for attention (people like these should be taken seriously too, because it might be their way to get help), but a lot of the time it isn’t. I want to share this. http://eliminatethestigma.wordpress.com/help-and-advice/dos-and-donts-of-self-injury/

18. Self harm is a way of coping with emotions. While most people might cry and scream and rant and rage, self-harmers generally don’t express those sorts of emotions openly, and bottle them inside. The only way they know that works of releasing them is by inflicting pain on themselves. Hence the NOT ATTENTION SEEKING.
    19. If they wanted attention they would go slit their wrists in the toilets at school and walk out with their clothes soaking in blood, collapse in the middle of the school grounds, and wail.
    20. Other people self harm because they’re so emotionally numb on the inside, they need the pain to remind themselves that they’re alive.
    21. Others hurt themselves because they believe they deserve it.
    22. There are 39846324956234986487562387456238475123518746459865 other reasons for self harm.
    23. There is not one direct cause. There is usually a trigger. A trigger may be a picture of a cut. That will get them thinking of cuts. That will get them into the mindset of cutting. And inevitably, they will want to cut.

This post is not directed to you btw, Q-Man. Just wanted to share.

~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #43 - September 26, 2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the post Lukatic.
     Reply #44 - September 26, 2010, 07:19 PM

I chose daily. Most of the time it isn't enough to make me cry and even of it does I always try my hardest to keep it in (I hate people seeing me when I'm weak).
    I'm usually either feeling down or neutral with occasional bursts of happiness and usually feeling like shit.

That's quite similar to me. :-/

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #45 - September 26, 2010, 07:19 PM

I chose daily myself. Ive suffered from dome form of depression for most of my life. Used to have massive outbursts as a kid which meant I got picked on in school and I would bang my head against the wall and bit myself on the arm as hard as I could. This was when I was 6-7 yes old. As I got older I stelarted to internalize my feelings because my mom couldn't handle my moods and would get angry at me telling me I had an 'attitude problem'. Her mother was severely depressed and therefore she couldn't possibly imagine that her daughter would have the same illness.  She started sending me to therapy when I was 11-12 hrs old after I tried to slit my wrists and ran away from home one night.

It wasn't until I was 18-19 yes old, a high school senior and couldn't stand being in the same room with her (she said she could feel the anger radiating off me) and inscared the other kids at school so that they were afraid to approach me that I finally took myself to the doctor for a formal diagnosis. Sure enough I was diagnosed with chronic depression and a few years later mild bi-polar. I've been on and off different SSTIs over the years to help even out my moods. Somedays I can be hyper and then something will trigger a crash. Other times I will sink into a dark period, or 'bad turn' as I call it for weeks or months at a time. I wake up in the morning wishing I were dead, I go trough the day thinking of the best way to commit suicide. I honestly don't know how I manage to get up, go to work, pay the bills when I am like this but I'm usually prety reclusive and asocial when I go throuh these spells as I don't want to get other people around me down or have them asking me questions or offering me inane advice like 'chin up', etc.

I've been pretty down this whole year because of all the shit that has happened: getting divorced, watching my ex get remarried less than a year later. Having a miscarriage, getting hit by a car, dealing with dodgy roommates who skip out w/o paying the rent, debts up the ass, moving back to the USA where the job Market suck cock, living with my parents at 32yrs old, failing a fucking pre-employment drug screen which everyone here requires now so I had to quit my favourite medicine and pastime until I get a job but I live in a state where unemployment is above the national average of 10%.

I love my fucking life.

Good news is I'm going to see a psychiatrist on Thursday for another assessment and to see if I do have Asperger syndrome like my family think I do which could mean I might get some extra help with employment, support etc. Wish me luck.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #46 - September 26, 2010, 07:34 PM

Nour.  far away hug Good luck this Thursday.

~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #47 - September 26, 2010, 07:57 PM

I'm on anti-depressants and still feel depressed. =\

Is your grammar defective? Just askin'.

"The wound is the place where the Light enters you." - Rumi

Reply #48 - September 26, 2010, 08:29 PM

Abood, forgot to mention this earlier, but there are many types of bipolar disorder. Not just manic depression. http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-disorder-forms

~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #49 - September 26, 2010, 08:39 PM

Hmm...

Is your grammar defective? Just askin'.

"The wound is the place where the Light enters you." - Rumi

Reply #50 - September 26, 2010, 08:48 PM

HUGGLES!!!!!!!     far away hug

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #51 - September 26, 2010, 09:19 PM

Yay! Free hug!  hugs
     Reply #52 - September 26, 2010, 09:46 PM

Neither I nor Berberella nor SJ are stupid enough to consider advice given over any forum as gospel, but it might be enough to provide us with the momentum to check it out for ourselves & then seek professional advice.  And thats the kind of help that this forum might provide if you let it.

I've already stated that, haven't I? But there's a difference between suggesting someone should get it checked out and saying "You've just described bipolar disorder to a tee." No, actually, she didn't. There's much more to bipolar disorder than that. No one can ever rationally make that conclusion based on one post.

Anyway, this has been blown out of proportion. I just wanted to point out that people shouldn't be diagnosing others nilly-willy. But since, as we all agree, Berbs knows better than to take the diagnosis of someone on the forum, I'll end it here.
     Reply #53 - September 26, 2010, 10:29 PM

@ NOUR
    Sweetie I am really sorry for what you went through and what you are going through right now.  My birth mother and I could NOT get along either.  She was really vicious, o i could tell you stories.  But I know how you feel cause that shit stays with you for a long time.  I'm still dealing with it.  I always felt that every other teenage girl had the best mothers and got along with them and I didnt.  I also ran away from home...twice. Mothers really do mental damage to their teenage daughters.  Anways keep me posted on how things go with the phyciatrist and hang in there.

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #54 - September 27, 2010, 01:17 AM

+1  my mom beat the shit outa me on a regular basis.  if not that, it was the psychological torture.  im 50 years old, and STILL working through things she did to us.  you are not alone!!!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #55 - September 27, 2010, 01:41 AM

Reply #56 - September 27, 2010, 03:55 AM

I chose daily myself. Ive suffered from dome form of depression for most of my life. Used to have massive outbursts as a kid which meant I got picked on in school and I would bang my head against the wall and bit myself on the arm as hard as I could. This was when I was 6-7 yes old. As I got older I stelarted to internalize my feelings because my mom couldn't handle my moods and would get angry at me telling me I had an 'attitude problem'. Her mother was severely depressed and therefore she couldn't possibly imagine that her daughter would have the same illness.  She started sending me to therapy when I was 11-12 hrs old after I tried to slit my wrists and ran away from home one night.

It wasn't until I was 18-19 yes old, a high school senior and couldn't stand being in the same room with her (she said she could feel the anger radiating off me) and inscared the other kids at school so that they were afraid to approach me that I finally took myself to the doctor for a formal diagnosis. Sure enough I was diagnosed with chronic depression and a few years later mild bi-polar. I've been on and off different SSTIs over the years to help even out my moods. Somedays I can be hyper and then something will trigger a crash. Other times I will sink into a dark period, or 'bad turn' as I call it for weeks or months at a time. I wake up in the morning wishing I were dead, I go trough the day thinking of the best way to commit suicide. I honestly don't know how I manage to get up, go to work, pay the bills when I am like this but I'm usually prety reclusive and asocial when I go throuh these spells as I don't want to get other people around me down or have them asking me questions or offering me inane advice like 'chin up', etc.

I've been pretty down this whole year because of all the shit that has happened: getting divorced, watching my ex get remarried less than a year later. Having a miscarriage, getting hit by a car, dealing with dodgy roommates who skip out w/o paying the rent, debts up the ass, moving back to the USA where the job Market suck cock, living with my parents at 32yrs old, failing a fucking pre-employment drug screen which everyone here requires now so I had to quit my favourite medicine and pastime until I get a job but I live in a state where unemployment is above the national average of 10%.

I love my fucking life.

Good news is I'm going to see a psychiatrist on Thursday for another assessment and to see if I do have Asperger syndrome like my family think I do which could mean I might get some extra help with employment, support etc. Wish me luck.

that sounds extreme.
     Reply #57 - September 27, 2010, 05:06 AM

I'm just curious how often other people experience feelings of sadness or depression.

For me, its a weekly, sometimes daily thing, I get very very low, and then I become really hyper and happy again, and this can happen within minutes, and have no real trigger, although certain things make it worse no doubt.

This is usually only when I'm going through a really bad patch in life, but in general I would say once or twice a week fits the bill for me.

I want to get to the stage of it being once or twice a month only.

So what about you?  Please vote.  

(I;m talking majorly sad by the way, to the point that you could cry and do cry, or cut yourself off from people and refuse to answer the phone etc)

The above would be described as Bipolar disorder. In which case I would strongly recommended asking your GP to refer you to a psychologist if you're not already seeing one.

I also have Bipolar disorder and I feel I go from high to low almost every day. But addressing some of the underlying problems has helped me in being in more control of my emotions. I don't get out of the world highs and hellish lows anymore.
     Reply #58 - September 27, 2010, 05:17 AM

According to the mental health team its not Bi polar I have, its BPD.  I thought it was Bo polar when I read up about it, but I also match many of the symptoms from BPD.

I'm not on meds, I have been before but I refuse to take them anymore. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #59 - September 27, 2010, 05:27 AM

According to the mental health team its not Bi polar I have, its BPD.  I thought it was Bo polar when I read up about it, but I also match many of the symptoms from BPD.

I'm not on meds, I have been before but I refuse to take them anymore. 

Yeah some of these things do have over lapping descriptions, but its best to have a professional diagnosis. With regard to medication I can sympathize with you, since sometimes the side-effects are quite annoying. For me I was on anti-depression medication and I had a complete lack of ability to have an erection, which was not only a problem for me but also for my wife, and I had zero emotions, and empathy. 
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »