Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: So how often?
  • I go high and low constantly throughout the day
  • Maybe once or twice a week
  • Maybe once or twice a month
  • Rarely if at all

Topic: How often do you feel down in the dumps?

(Read 16597 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How often do you feel down in the dumps?
     OP - September 26, 2010, 12:49 PM

I'm just curious how often other people experience feelings of sadness or depression.

For me, its a weekly, sometimes daily thing, I get very very low, and then I become really hyper and happy again, and this can happen within minutes, and have no real trigger, although certain things make it worse no doubt.

This is usually only when I'm going through a really bad patch in life, but in general I would say once or twice a week fits the bill for me.

I want to get to the stage of it being once or twice a month only.

So what about you?  Please vote. 

(I;m talking majorly sad by the way, to the point that you could cry and do cry, or cut yourself off from people and refuse to answer the phone etc)

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: How often do you feel down in the dumps?
     Reply #1 - September 26, 2010, 01:06 PM

Reply #2 - September 26, 2010, 01:08 PM

Once or twice a month now, and it's been like this only for the past few months.  Although generally it happens quite rarely.

This bout of sadness has been triggered by a recent incident, so hopefully things will go back to normal again over time.  

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #3 - September 26, 2010, 01:12 PM

Cheesy LOL @ the vid, but I wasn't looking for advice or hints on seeing a shrink, merely looking to see how often other people feel that way.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - September 26, 2010, 01:15 PM

I only feel low when I havn't got anything to look forward to. Sometimes i can go months feeling fine and at others I can feel low for a few days at a time. It's situational and since i can equate my low moods to experiences i'm not too fussed it's just a quirk of life.
     Reply #5 - September 26, 2010, 01:17 PM

Reply #6 - September 26, 2010, 01:32 PM

for me its a multi year cycle and career low points drive me to feel genuine sadness. too young to have had moments of greif, but i've had 2 career related depression points in the last 9 years.
     Reply #7 - September 26, 2010, 02:45 PM

Weekly but it can vary. Some weeks I'm ok but usually there's something or the other than gets me down. I don't lock myself in a dark room and starve myself anymore though... probably because people here won't let me Grin

Reply #8 - September 26, 2010, 03:07 PM

I don't really ever feel as low as you describe Berbs, although I have in the past. It depends on how things are going in life generally. A little melancholy from time to time is normal, so I try to take it in my stride.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - September 26, 2010, 03:23 PM

I'm just curious how often other people experience feelings of sadness or depression.

For me, its a weekly, sometimes daily thing, I get very very low, and then I become really hyper and happy again, and this can happen within minutes, and have no real trigger, although certain things make it worse no doubt.

This is usually only when I'm going through a really bad patch in life, but in general I would say once or twice a week fits the bill for me.

That sounds about right for me-- I picked once or twice a week, though occasionally I can make it a few weeks.

The busier I am with work the less likely it is to happen.

(I;m talking majorly sad by the way, to the point that you could cry and do cry, or cut yourself off from people and refuse to answer the phone etc)

I don't cry cause I'm not a pussy, but I'd rather cry than have to take mental health time off from work I'm so paralyzed, which has happened. So, yeah, I don't cry, but I still understand what you're talking about.

fuck you
     Reply #10 - September 26, 2010, 07:37 PM

Bipolar?   far away hug

I understand what you mean. hugs

It can manifest in many different ways for me. Some days I can't stop crying, some days I'm too numb and empty to cry. I feel crippled to do basic everyday things, even small tasks seem so huge. I feel so lonely and yet wanting to be left alone.

I voted once or twice a week, but it can be a daily thing for me. Some days are worse than others, but it's something that I have to manage every day. I've been suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts since I was 10 years old. I don't think I have bipolar though, but I could have it when I was younger, because I was so out of control when I was younger, lol. Lashing out at people left and right. That's why my parents thought I was possessed by evil spirits and had been taking me to local shamans throughout my childhood. Quite traumatic for me. I hate superstitious people.  Cry I finally convinced my parents to take me to a psychiatrist a few years ago, but I think they still believe that there's no such thing as mental illness, and it's all because the work of the devils. *sigh*

Lots of hugs hugs to everyone here who's dealing with this. It's something that I wouldn't even wish upon my worst enemy.

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    ~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #11 - September 26, 2010, 07:57 PM

For me I feel depressed throughout the day and now that winter is coming it might get worse. Sometimes I cry for no reason, feel like no one understands me or even cares.  I usually try to avoid gatherings doing things that involves being around a lot of people.  Just yesterday I went to sleep at 4:00pm and didnt get up until 6:00am today!  14 freaking hours of sleep!! 
    Good news though, i just started taking some meds a couple days ago and just started going the gym (although I only stay for 20/30 min), but it's a start.

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #12 - September 26, 2010, 08:29 PM

it can be very very bad. but usually due to external factors. Be it people around me or circumstances that cause the "dumps". it can feel as though you have nothing really to live for. but i can never stick in one mindset for long, and nor do i wallow in my shit for ages. The bricks tend to fall about me in a cyclic repeated way and have done so for sometime. But i always get up and just begin rebuilding again. Smiley

But sometimes when you locate the problem, you have to nip it in the bud. just cut it out. get rid of it. toss it out. Smiley

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #13 - September 26, 2010, 08:36 PM

I want to get to the stage of it being once or twice a month only.

So what about you?  Please vote. 

You're describing Bi-polarity to a tee, Berbs.  like I said before, b-blockers sorted me out.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #14 - September 26, 2010, 08:51 PM

You're describing Bi-polarity to a tee, Berbs.  like I said before, b-blockers sorted me out.

No.

Bipolarity is the most misdiagnosed mental illness.

You're only bipolar if you experience long periods of depression (about six months or so), followed by long periods of happiness. Being depressed a couple of times a week is not a mental illness.
     Reply #15 - September 26, 2010, 08:56 PM

I don't think I have ever been sad or depressed to that point.

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #16 - September 26, 2010, 08:56 PM

really, loki? i'm surprised O_O

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #17 - September 26, 2010, 09:00 PM

really, loki? i'm surprised O_O

Why surprised Eph?
    Seriously. I don't like alot of emotional displays, I tend to keep it in until something triggers it

Reply #18 - September 26, 2010, 09:04 PM

No.

Bipolarity is the most misdiagnosed mental illness.

You're only bipolar if you experience long periods of depression (about six months or so), followed by long periods of happiness. Being depressed a couple of times a week is not a mental illness.

You're wrong . Some really bad cases can cycle several times a day. But in my case it used to be about 3 years, unless something like bereavement intervened and triggered an exaggeration of whichever phase I was in. And 'happiness' doesn't even begin to describe being hyper: not even euphoric does.

Reply #19 - September 26, 2010, 09:07 PM

i don't mean that i thought you were prone to emotional displays, loki Tongue

i guess i just figured most people have at least one serious down in the dumps event in their lives. Smiley

stay happy baby

Reply #20 - September 26, 2010, 09:17 PM

You're wrong . Some really bad cases can cycle several times a day. But in my case it used to be about 3 years, unless something like bereavement intervened and triggered an exaggeration of whichever phase I was in. And 'happiness' doesn't even begin to describe being hyper: not even euphoric does.

I stand corrected.

However, bipolar disorder remains a very misunderstood mental illness, which causes a lot of misdiagnosis. Unless you're a certified psychiatrist, you shouldn't be going around telling people that they have it. In fact, even a psychiatrist shouldn't be doing that.

http://helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm
     Reply #21 - September 26, 2010, 09:26 PM

i don't mean that i thought you were prone to emotional displays, loki Tongue

i guess i just figured most people have at least one serious down in the dumps event in their lives. Smiley

stay happy baby

Lol I know but I couldn't help ribbing you a bit

I shall try  Smiley

Reply #22 - September 26, 2010, 09:27 PM

On the subject of bi-polar disorder aka. manic depression, I'd recommend Stephen Fry's "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive" for an insight into the condition*:
    [part 1]
    [part 2]

*If you can deal with the Chinese KFC adverts before the stream begins.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #23 - September 26, 2010, 09:30 PM

Sorry Abood, I have to disagree again. A psychiatrist told me and it has made an enormously beneficial difference to my life - about 40 years too late. I wish I'd gone years ago.
     It's quite frightening to suspect that there's something not quite with your mental state and that in itself adds to the problem. Just knowing what the problem is and that it can be tackled is a huge relief, even before treatment. That's most of what Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is anyway. The drugs are another aid that you can largely self control but are there when you need them once you know that they help you.

Reply #24 - September 26, 2010, 09:33 PM

I'm not saying Berbs shouldn't find out if she has bipolar disorder or not. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be the one diagnosing her. You're no expert, nor do you know her well enough to diagnose her.

Anyway, I think she knows better than to take diagnosis from a guy on a discussion forum after reading a single post of hers.
     Reply #25 - September 26, 2010, 09:40 PM

I didn't do that at all. All I said was that she'd just described it to a tee, which from my own personal experience she has.  
    You're putting words into my mouth, Abood.
    Anyway, it looks as though you aren't aware of previous discussions on this issue. It's cropped up quite regularly;
     so I can't blame you for that.

Reply #26 - September 26, 2010, 09:42 PM

Except that she hasn't. There's more to bipolar disorder than feeling depressed then happy.

There's no difference between saying what you said describes bipolar disorder to a tee, and saying you have bipolar disorder.
     Reply #27 - September 26, 2010, 09:45 PM

I'm speaking from personal experience of it. What experience do you have?

Reply #28 - September 26, 2010, 09:46 PM

I'm not saying Berbs shouldn't find out if she has bipolar disorder or not. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be the one diagnosing her. You're no expert, nor do you know her well enough to diagnose her.

Anyway, I think she knows better than to take diagnosis from a guy on a discussion forum after reading a single post of hers.

He's giving his opinion & trying to help.  Its a forum so of course he's not offering a definitive medical diagnosis, just saying the symptoms match..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #29 - September 26, 2010, 09:48 PM

I'm speaking from personal experience of it. What experience do you have?

He's actually a respected psychologist, FYI.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »