Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Nicely Played.

(Read 12822 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Follies of Our Past
     Reply #30 - September 25, 2010, 11:10 AM

l
     Reply #31 - September 25, 2010, 11:48 AM

Yes, the awful things we used to do for the sake of Allah. Not anymore! Angry

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #32 - September 25, 2010, 12:02 PM

^ Yeah, tell me about it sis. Religion poisons everything. Who said that?

Christopher Hitchens

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #33 - September 25, 2010, 04:11 PM

This thread is great... feels like a confession booth Smiley

My confession would be that years ago (mid-90's or so), I used to defend Pakistan's right to be an Islamic state... I was fed the usual "Muslims needed a place of their own" and I naively thought that Islam was not being "properly followed" and so if only Pakistan became more Islamic as in the "True Islam", its problems would disappear. During this time period, I wasn't even a very observant Muslim but I did consider myself Muslim and basically was looking for the "true islam"... I found it, it was in the Quran and the Hadiths which when I read in a language I actually understood, it made a lot of sense what I had to do - follow them for real (which I couldn't do even if I had wanted to) or take my leave. I realized I was defending things I didn't even know about... and when I knew them, they were pretty repulsive. The rest is history.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #34 - September 26, 2010, 08:42 AM

q
     Reply #35 - September 27, 2010, 02:21 AM

q
     Reply #36 - September 28, 2010, 11:22 AM

@ Mount A Bison: Please, please write a book on Islam. I am sure it would be a hit!

My biggest Islamoregret is doing a talk on the Qur'an in my first year of university. My course was in Engineering but we could choose any topic we were passionate about.

Needless to say I was a real hit with my class after that.  Roll Eyes

Oh, and at one point I almost joined Hizb ut-Tahrir and believed that it was obligatory for all Muslims to form an Islamic Caliphate. Good times, good times.
     Reply #37 - September 28, 2010, 12:11 PM

q
     Reply #38 - September 28, 2010, 01:48 PM

q
     Reply #39 - September 28, 2010, 03:11 PM

Oh, and at one point I almost joined Hizb ut-Tahrir and believed that it was obligatory for all Muslims to form an Islamic Caliphate. Good times, good times.

Oooh lucky escape there!  I was a shabab for some time, what a bloody waste. 

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #40 - September 28, 2010, 03:14 PM

Reply #41 - September 28, 2010, 03:27 PM

^ Not sure what you're driving at there. Are you saying you wanna bed him or me? Please clarify.

Hmm... you or him? Neither.  Tongue

Back in the days I got in bed with HT and they were shit.

Reply #42 - September 28, 2010, 03:31 PM

Lk
     Reply #43 - September 28, 2010, 03:32 PM

I don't have any Islamoregrets but I do remember one or two Christodistresses.  Like the time I went on a Sunday school trip to Cleethorpes when I was 8 yrs old and a large, long-sighted lady mistook me for a stool and sat on me whilst we were sheltering from the rain.  Turns out she'd dropped her specs on the beach as everyone stampeded off it for scarce shelter after a downpour began.  I regret going to Cleethorpes because the Vicar thought it was a good idea.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #44 - September 28, 2010, 04:51 PM

m
     Reply #45 - September 28, 2010, 05:02 PM

I have this same regret. Though there was a rumour going around that they were terrorists, so I never did.
     Reply #46 - September 28, 2010, 06:20 PM

Quit flirting with a married man. I will report you to my scary Jewish wife.
    What was the topic of your presentation? Did you season it with a dose of tajweed inflected Quranic recital? Did you plagiarise a little from Ahmed Deedat, a little more from Khalid Yasin, and still more from Zaker Naik? How fascinating.
    Were you propositioned by any shapely professors? Students? Did you tumble Fatimas on the bed and discharge yourself manfully? Be truthful now.
    I never ran into political types myself. But I was resolved that should I ever be fortunate enough to undertake Jihad I should waste no time for was this dunya not an illusion? I was labouring under the impression that the martyer did not experience any physical pain in dying greater than a pinch. On reflection somehow I think Sahih Bukhari may have lied to me. The scoundrel.

Whatever Mr. Bukhari was smoking I'd sure like some.  cool2

The talk was split into four sections as I recall -- the first was an introduction to the revelation as the final of many. The second part was "miracles" in the Qur'an, you know, big bang the universe is expanding and all that (bullshit). Bear in mind this was to a group of engineering students and my course professor in an engineering context, and you will only begin to grasp the ridiculousity of it.

The next bit was about the basic message of the Qur'an (good = Heaven and bad = Hell, simples!) The final bit was about jihad - clarifying what jihad really means, getting into qital and all that malarky. I didn't quite get to doing some tajweed, although it probably wouldn't have been any more embarrassing than it already was.

I remember in the final bit I started getting really passionate like the imams at Friday prayer, I was all "So don't judge the Qur'an by what you see on the BBC, or Bin Laden, read it for yourself because that's the only waaay!!!!" The funniest part was I had not even read the Qur'an myself at this point and my main point of reference was "The Koran for Dummies" (I kid you not).

Oooh lucky escape there!  I was a shabab for some time, what a bloody waste. 

I know what you mean, they were vetting me (or so it seemed) for about 3 months, meeting in random halal  restaurants and the local mosque. It was all very hush hush. I even started spewing their propaganda at home and to my friends at uni. The main guy (it was just starting up in my town) even started trying to help me out with my university work because he studied the same subject as I did. Then, one day I learned that HT could be made illegal and so I started looking into it from a more critical angle. I had a shi'a friend who asked me "how do we know what it was like in the prophet's times anyway?" and Ithat just got me thinking, "actually we don't know much". In the end it was just their mannerisms, they didn't quite behave like normal people. So when I changed my phone number I sort of "neglected" to pass it on to Brother M  Wink

I have this same regret. Though there was a rumour going around that they were terrorists, so I never did.

They aren't terrorists, they're just very naughty boys.  Tongue
     Reply #47 - September 28, 2010, 06:23 PM

My greatest folly?

Showing my willie in maths class to the girl next to me who promised to show her "thing" if I did.

She didn't keep her end of the bargain and told everyone.
     Reply #48 - September 28, 2010, 06:38 PM

Reply #49 - September 28, 2010, 06:41 PM

How dare you!

Erm... no, well at least I don't remember much except the terrible laughing... the awful, awful laughing... Oh when will it stop!
     Reply #50 - September 28, 2010, 06:49 PM

k
     Reply #51 - September 28, 2010, 06:56 PM

Alas nothing will make that laughing go away.

I quite fancied her too.

Just wish I'd thought of another chat-up strategy.
     Reply #52 - September 28, 2010, 06:56 PM

good to see you back, hassan  Smiley

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #53 - September 28, 2010, 07:03 PM

Hiya Zed - always good to see you my friend Smiley
     Reply #54 - September 28, 2010, 08:33 PM

s
     Reply #55 - September 28, 2010, 09:51 PM

hey

wow this is such a good site ... strange thing is i been searchin for a site like this for a year or so just found it today.

regret so much .... but then i think it wud not have made me who i am today ....

shit i dont even know if that is a good thing!

any way how u all doing?
     Reply #56 - September 28, 2010, 09:54 PM

hello Smiley pls post an intro on the introduction area and welcome

Confucius:
    "What you do not like done to yourself, do not unto others."
     Reply #57 - September 29, 2010, 03:09 AM

f
     Reply #58 - September 30, 2010, 02:04 AM

My Islamoregrets are many, though none are very major.

I converted in June 2001, only 3 short months before that horrible day. Although very new, I had studied Islam intently for almost a year beforehand, so I was confident in both my belief and in my knowledge of Islam.  The September 11th attacks did not affect my faith at all. University classes started a few weeks later, and I announced in a World Religions class that I was a Muslim, and I preached the term "jihad" to mean a personal struggle, and cited examples from Hamza Yusuf. I also defended the hijab despite not wearing one myself. The worst part was that I offered to be interviewed for some of my classmates' reports, and in the interviews I answered questions about the September 11th attacks. I thought I knew what I was talking about, but of course I was just naive. I was quite proud to talk about the Islamic rationale behind the attacks, but that the attacks themselves were not Islamic, even though they were committed by Muslims.

In another university class, a history class, while chatting with the professor at one point, I denounced a writer for being Shia (I was Sunni), and even dared to call him not a real Muslim. I realize now what the professor must have thought of me, how blind and biased and ignorant. At the time I felt that I was absolutely correct. Now it's all just embarrassing, and shameful that I ever thought like that.

I regret the years I wasted not having sex, not getting drunk, not enjoying myself with friends, losing sleep because I had to stay up late for isha and get up early for fajr. I feel I lost a part of myself to the blind, intense devotion I gave the religion. Wasted effort and time gaining Islamic knowledge, which I now see as just trivia and completely useless aside from a few entertaining tidbits I can tell friends now.

I regret the superiority complex I had for awhile, and the friends I lost because of it. I also regret the friends I lost when I left Islam.

And of course most of all, I regret ever having converted in the first place.

Cry

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #59 - September 30, 2010, 02:12 AM

By the way, Mount a Bison, what was the question you asked Zakir Naik?

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »