Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Is Faith Necessary?

(Read 3377 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #30 - May 04, 2015, 08:57 AM

Hi murtadfitri - Thanks for the PM asking me to join cemna.com - but could I ask why you don't join:

http://www.exmna.org/

They already have an up and running forum for ex-Muslim in North America.

Smiley
  • Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #31 - May 04, 2015, 08:58 AM

Oh and great contribution to the thread - thanks  Afro
  • Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #32 - May 04, 2015, 12:00 PM

I think Scott means "hope", not "faith", as he hopes for the betterment of the human species and not "faith" in a religious sense of claim certainty for objective claims which have zero evidence.

He is a smart guy, but i think he is playely loosely with definitions when it suits his argument. If "faith" includes believing in humanity, human rights, the nation, or having any hope at all, then it really doesn't mean anything to say we need it. Of course we need it, and I think all species need it in order to want to survive. So what is the point of the discussion? Surely the discussion only has a purpose if it focuses on religious faith?

He needs to use the loosest definition of "faith" to point to the positive side of it: our advances in comparison to other species, etc. but then withdraws to the tightest definition when defending against the negatives: i.e. wars. Note he says that "religion", not faith is responsible for only 7% of our wars, but if he was going to use his broadest definition of "faith" that he presented earlier, it would be 100% of wars.
  • Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #33 - May 04, 2015, 12:05 PM

Yeezy - could I make a suggestion - please could you stick to responding to posts that are either directed to you or directed to the forum in general - and keep out of other people's conversations.

You seem to think you are the forum watchdog.

I wouldn't mind so much if you actually said anything useful, but I'm afraid I find most of your contributions are a waste of space at best.

You also scare and frighten newbies with your inane ramblings.

:(  I can think of worse people that have frightened newbies off, who then get a pat on the back for it...

Yeezevee is a gem here and a great contributor..

• Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #34 - May 04, 2015, 12:32 PM

Personally I would like to believe in God, I would like to believe that there is some greater meaning and purpose to a world that seem quite absurd and pointless - but I simply can't "will" myself to believe.

Could you try to explain why adding a God to the picture somehow magically gives the world a greater meaning and purpose? I do not get it.

All the amazing things attributed to humanity that Scott is talking about, if we achieved them ourselves without help from God then surely that makes them even more amazing and more of a source of pride, not less.
  • Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #35 - May 04, 2015, 12:48 PM

I should say that he is talking about faith rather than God.

But for me the world seems ridiculous and more than that it is largely suffering and conflict. I see no way to make sense of it nor justify the pain and suffering.

If there was some wise and loving being who sees our suffering and cares about us - and most importantly has some great purpose in mind behind doing all this - it would make the pain and confusion a  little more bearable. At least there will be some resolution. Some hope that all will be explained and a wonderful purpose and objective realised.
  • Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #36 - May 04, 2015, 12:52 PM

I should add that I neither hope nor entertain the slightest possibility that the Abrahamic view of God exists.
  • Is Faith Necessary?
     Reply #37 - May 04, 2015, 01:02 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61NXIINiu9L._SX522_.jpg

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »