Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My friend is thrilled by Chechen jihad

(Read 7123 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My friend is thrilled by Chechen jihad
     OP - September 10, 2010, 03:32 PM

I came here to ask for your advice guys. Tongue

I read the topic ''what attracted you to islam''. A lot of you said it was jihad. Now my old friend is experiencing something similar.

First of all, we are not muslims. He has always been far-left, Noam Chomsky-loving type of guy and I don't always agree with his political views.

His soft spot has always been Chechnya. The problems began with Youtube.  grin12 He discovered a whole new world of videos with powerful looking bearded guys and enchanting islamic nasheeds. He showed me some of the videos, and they do look enchanting.

He started seriously thinking about ''helping the guys''. How can I convince him that it would be better if he helped people by joining some humanitarian organizations like UNHCR  or something similar?
  • Re: My friend is thrilled by Chechen jihad
     Reply #1 - September 10, 2010, 03:37 PM

He doesn't have to be a jihadist to support Chechnyan independence.
     Reply #2 - September 10, 2010, 03:59 PM

He doesn't have to be , of course. But damn it, he says that he wouldgive everything for only one day in the forest.
     Reply #3 - September 10, 2010, 04:03 PM

Your friend really needs help.

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #4 - September 10, 2010, 04:10 PM

he seems to be aware of the fact that he is only in for the thrill. if he just wants to help, why would he give anything just for a useless day?

I think he needs to join a dojo or something to get properly beaten up.
     Reply #5 - September 10, 2010, 06:54 PM

He doesn't have to be , of course. But damn it, he says that he wouldgive everything for only one day in the forest.

Again, he doesn't have to be a jihadist to support Chechnyan independence. And I don't just mean support in theory, I mean go and fight if he wants to.

The fight for Chechnyan independence is not a "jihad" of Muslims against infidels; it's a struggle for self-determination. It just happens to have a lot of religious propaganda and bullshit involved, just like Afghanistan and Iraq.
     Reply #6 - September 10, 2010, 07:11 PM

The fight for Chechnyan independence is not a "jihad" of Muslims against infidels; it's a struggle for self-determination.

Yeah, it started as a struggle for self-determination, but quickly morphed into jihad when they tried "liberating" surrounding Muslim federal subjects of Russia, which was the direct cause of the Second Chechen War. Up until that point, The Republic of Chechnya had de-facto independence, Chechen and Russian political leaders were working on rapprochement, and Russia was even funding rebuilding and humanitarian aid efforts in Chechnya. Chechnya's invasion of Dagestan and continued terrorist acts on Russian soil changed all that. And just prior to the Russian reinvasion the "Chechen Republic of Ichkeria" became the "Islamic Republic of Ichkeria", and is now the "Caucasus Emirate".

Chechnya ain't exactly Palestine, ya know-- Islamists always held considerable power in Chechnya and sought a broader jihad in the Caucasus. All goes back to the War in Afghanistan really. The ultimate aim of the US, besides miring the Red Army down in a Vietnam-like conflict and cripple the Soviet economy, was to spark jihad within the USSR's borders-- just so happened that part didn't occur until after the Cold War ended.

fuck you
     Reply #7 - September 10, 2010, 07:18 PM

I stand corrected, my good comrade.
     Reply #8 - September 10, 2010, 10:09 PM

He discovered a whole new world of videos with powerful looking bearded guys and enchanting islamic nasheeds. He showed me some of the videos, and they do look enchanting.

He started seriously thinking about ''helping the guys''. How can I convince him that it would be better if he helped people by joining some humanitarian organizations like UNHCR  or something similar?

This is the reason I advocate mandatory military service. It would dispel some of the "violence is cool" mentality engendered by films, television, and the internet, especially in younger people.

Anyone under 35 should have to go through military service, so they experience the incredible boredom, interspersed with sheer terror, that war in particular, and violence in general, brings to the table.

Nothing gets rid of the glamor like having your buddy's blood splattered all over you, or being injured yourself.

And no, this doesn't cover the religious zealots of all types, who couldn't use reason to find their way out of a wet paper bag. They will continue to be violent, and use violence done to them as an excuse to continue.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #9 - September 10, 2010, 10:13 PM

This is the reason I advocate mandatory military service. It would dispel some of the "violence is cool" mentality engendered by films, television, and the internet, especially in younger people.

Ew.
    Not cool.

I managed to avoid compulsory military service by luck.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #10 - September 10, 2010, 10:15 PM

I ain't serving in no goddamn national army.

We actually have conscription in Kuwait, but I'm gonna try avoid it. Apparently most people do.
     Reply #11 - September 10, 2010, 10:24 PM

Q-Man hit the nail on the head.  yes

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #12 - September 10, 2010, 10:27 PM

I ain't serving in no goddamn national army.

We actually have conscription in Kuwait, but I'm gonna try avoid it. Apparently most people do.

The point is, to teach some of you youngsters that violence isn't cool. Too many seem to think it is. That's just sad.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #13 - September 10, 2010, 10:31 PM

I wouldn't go around shooting people unless I really had to. Although I'm thinking of joining a shooting club to learn how to use a gun n shit. Smiley
     Reply #14 - September 10, 2010, 10:36 PM

Nothing wrong with learning to use a weapon. It's when people think that firearms are the solution to everything, that I get irritated.

Reply #15 - September 10, 2010, 10:44 PM

The point is, to teach some of you youngsters that violence isn't cool. Too many seem to think it is. That's just sad.

I completely agree, but I am mostly against compulsory military service. a 4 months or so period is ok though.
     Reply #16 - September 10, 2010, 11:37 PM

Revolution against oppression appeals to the sense of idealism within the human mind. That's great and should be encouraged, but only within the larger context of what that revolution may spawn later on down the road. One can support self-determination for XYZ people, but then say sometimes the lesser of two evils is for the status quo to remain. If Islamists gain control in some country, that has potential consequences far outside that country's borders. So, ask your friend how willing he is to live under shariah before he decides to help those guys out.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."~Steven Weinberg
     Reply #17 - September 11, 2010, 12:01 AM

I'd support a self-determined Islamic state over a state coerced into secularization and democracy from without. Progress needs to be organic and from within. You need to change minds for real change to happen.
     Reply #18 - September 11, 2010, 09:34 PM

Well he did serve in the army. And he still dreams about Chechnya. mysmilie_977

He told me: when will you get killed there-it's a matter of time. I guess these youngsters who join guerilla in woods don't have much military experience, therefore they die en masses.
     Reply #19 - September 11, 2010, 09:38 PM

What did he do in the army, exactly?

The most antiwar veterans tend to be the ones who were actually doing the fighting.
     Reply #20 - September 11, 2010, 10:16 PM

The most antiwar veterans tend to be the ones who were actually doing the fighting.

One of my grandfathers served in both Europe and Asia during WWII (the other only in Europe). He never spoke of it to the day he died, refusing to even collect his medals.

Those warped enough to lust after death and destruction are a plague upon humanity.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #21 - September 11, 2010, 10:19 PM

There's a reason they use drones now. Operating that shit tens of thousands of miles away gives you the feeling of playing a video game.
     Reply #22 - September 12, 2010, 12:14 PM

I saw an Air Force commercial showing the Chair Force control drones, and for a sec I could've sworn they were playing Call of Duty.  Shocked

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #23 - September 12, 2010, 01:04 PM

I saw an Air Force commercial showing the Chair Force control drones, and for a sec I could've sworn they were playing Call of Duty.  Shocked

If it was the Desert Hawk 3 UAV then it probably had nothing to do with the one-of-a-kind controller.  whistling2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6QaFsY4qXE&

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »