Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: google page one?

(Read 4238 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • google page one?
     OP - August 13, 2010, 01:51 PM

why isn't this forum on google page one for the term 'ex muslim'?
  • Re: google page one?
     Reply #1 - August 13, 2010, 02:08 PM

On google.co.uk it comes first:

But on google.com it comes second:

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #2 - August 13, 2010, 02:10 PM

www.ex-muslim.org.uk is the first result I get from google.co.uk whether searching the web or UK results. I noticed www.cembhofmann.co.uk was the first result for "CEMB" a few months ago so started using the Google link everytime I came to the site and now "councilofexmuslims.com" is the first result I get. You can play the rankings game sometimes for low volume hit results, I've found. However, "ex muslim" is probably a much more popular search term, I'd suspect.

As ateapotist has pointed out, Google's national sites do give regional bias to search results regardless of whether you search "the web" or not.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #3 - August 13, 2010, 02:25 PM

my own opinion is that a link to the forum on google page one will be a nice way to get more interested people here from all over the world.

linking in from the .org.uk site is good, but a direct result would be better.
     Reply #4 - August 13, 2010, 02:40 PM

Clicking "I'm feeling lucky" on search term "ex muslim forum" will get you here on .com & .co.uk  Afro

Edit: and also com.pk (Pakistan); co.in (India); com.sa (KSA)
     Reply #5 - August 13, 2010, 02:46 PM

my own opinion is that a link to the forum on google page one will be a nice way to get more interested people here from all over the world.

linking in from the .org.uk site is good, but a direct result would be better.

Perhaps you could propose that the forum be given more prominence on the homepage?

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
     Reply #6 - August 13, 2010, 02:54 PM

sorry for my ignorance, but how is this forum funded and administered. (and who owns the domains etc).

i am neither an ex muslim nor am i from britain. i am just saying that the forum in its own right deserves international visibility.

@highoctane. thanks for the info on 'ex muslim forum' searches.
     Reply #7 - August 13, 2010, 03:17 PM

i am just saying that the forum in its own right deserves international visibility.

I think everyone agrees with this.  It is an international forum already.  I know it still says CEMB at the top; I guess it should really say COEM (i.e. CouncilOfExMuslims.com).

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #8 - August 13, 2010, 03:22 PM

I think everyone agrees with this.  It is an international forum already.  I know it still says CEMB at the top; I guess it should really say COEM (i.e. CouncilOfExMuslims.com).

Yup, with regional subforums as required (like the Arabic one), imo. That way people can converse in various languages to discuss local issues and organise in their corner of the world. Maybe that's the way it will go as the community grows, or perhaps it will be more decentralised with local COEM boards popping up in various countries.

Reply #9 - August 13, 2010, 03:29 PM

I like the word CEMB. One could say there CEMBers here. COEMers doesn't have the same pizzazz ... but well, never mind eh?  Smiley

I don't know actually: Britain is a hot bed for Islam going wrong right now in the West, and to have the exact opposite of a forum that is sourced from Britain would show hope is alive and well also. I don't know, perhaps I'm just being a bit too patriotic! And it's great this forum is so international. Afro
     Reply #10 - August 13, 2010, 03:29 PM

Yup, with regional subforums as required (like the Arabic one), imo. That way people can converse in various languages to discuss local issues and organise in their corner of the world. Maybe that's the way it will go as the community grows, or perhaps it will be more decentralised with local COEM boards popping up in various countries.

yes Like the way you think - we could capitalise on being there first, to give the growing army of future potential ex-muslims a professional & fair site as their first post of call.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - August 13, 2010, 04:58 PM

sorry for my ignorance, but how is this forum funded and administered. (and who owns the domains etc).

i am neither an ex muslim nor am i from britain. i am just saying that the forum in its own right deserves international visibility.

@highoctane. thanks for the info on 'ex muslim forum' searches.

This forum came about in a rather unplanned and ad hoc manner and is run by volunteers and good will - I think someone wrote a history somewhere but can't find it - however briefly:

Berbs and I heard about Maryam Namazie launching CEMB and were very excited by that and contacted her to say it would be great to have an online forum also as most ex-Muslims will not be able to go public, (Berbs and I were both posting on FFI at the time but wanted somewhere more balanced and truly empathetic to the needs of ex-Muslims). Maryam was full of support and originally a Google Group was setup up but left it to us to sort out something better. Oz and Wisehaven joined us (they also posted at FFI) and Oz got the help of the chap who runs Rant n Rave forum (can't remember his name) and he let us use his server and talked me through buying the domain name councilofexmuslims and setting it all up. Oz with the help of others set up the forum software. I don't know what the costs are for the server we share or how much we are contributing to that - perhaps OZ can tell you - but I have paid for the domain name each year since we started in late 2007. There are no other costs as far as I know - and as I say we rely on the good will of our volunteer Admin and Mods - May Allah shower them with Mercy and give them a high place in Janna... Ameen!

Smiley

Reply #12 - August 13, 2010, 05:02 PM

dance

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #13 - August 13, 2010, 05:11 PM

Also this forum is an international forum - despite being named after CEMB.
     Reply #14 - August 13, 2010, 05:14 PM

Thanks Hassan, interesting!  You guys are all great for setting up this place. Afro Smiley
     Reply #15 - August 13, 2010, 05:22 PM

Fascinating little history. Smiley Thanks Hassan.  You guys are all great. Afro hugs

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #16 - August 13, 2010, 05:29 PM

awesome. do you see any point in rebranding(relabeling?) it as an international forum.
     Reply #17 - August 13, 2010, 08:09 PM

Smiley 13 Really nice to know

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #18 - August 14, 2010, 12:42 AM

awesome. do you see any point in rebranding(relabeling?) it as an international forum.

Maybe - though I think most know this is an international forum.

Perhaps if Maryam agrees we can drop the B from CEMB
     Reply #19 - August 14, 2010, 12:57 AM

might suffer from the question of funding by the BHA

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - August 14, 2010, 02:28 AM

No when i stumbled across it through FFI, i was hesitant to join because I thought it was a Brit-specific forum, not international. Then again, i hadn't done reading on the site yet and joined instantly. Smiley

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #21 - August 14, 2010, 05:19 AM

Make sure you are logged in. google will pick up on your search and selection preferences. This forum didnt show up at the top for me either but after a while it does.

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #22 - August 14, 2010, 06:56 AM

No when i stumbled across it through FFI, i was hesitant to join because I thought it was a Brit-specific forum, not international. Then again, i hadn't done reading on the site yet and joined instantly. Smiley

kinda my point really.
     Reply #23 - August 14, 2010, 10:14 AM

Afro

Reply #24 - August 14, 2010, 01:15 PM

Then we can all be CEMers. Sounds good!  grin12
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »