Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Introduction threads.

(Read 3382 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Introduction threads.
     OP - July 27, 2010, 02:12 PM

Lately, introduction threads suck.

They can be divided into two categories:

1) Introduction threads by atheists. Everyone welcomes them briefly, kinda agrees with them, and does not really care much. Which is ok.

2) Introduction threads by theists. Everyone questions them about why they believe in this or that, starting 4.17e32 arguments that no sane person can really follow without getting bitter. Counterproductive gank fest, IMO. And not very friendly from the point of view of the newbie.

Opinions?

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
  • Re: Introduction threads.
     Reply #1 - July 27, 2010, 02:22 PM

I think Megan fox is over-rated.
     Reply #2 - July 27, 2010, 02:58 PM

I agree. But not every thread is like that. Julien's intro thread wasn't turned into a long-winded debate for example.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #3 - July 27, 2010, 03:04 PM

I agree Tialoc, but it's difficult to see what can be done about it. perhaps intro threads should allow only welcoming messages and any sort of questions/ discussions should be discouraged?

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #4 - July 27, 2010, 03:09 PM

I dont mind an introduction page turning into a discussion fest. 

At the end of the day its up to the newbie if he wishes to continue the discussion, and I am not sure if it makes any difference either way.  Muslims will get tied up in those kind of discussion in any case, and then leave, so might as well have it out on the intro thread (for several reasons).

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - July 27, 2010, 03:12 PM

I personally think IsLame should be banned from all intro threads - that will cut the problem in half at least  grin12

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #6 - July 27, 2010, 03:22 PM

It's an intro thread; they're being introduced to what they're gonna be facing.
     Reply #7 - July 27, 2010, 03:25 PM

I personally think IsLame should be banned from all intro threads - that will cut the problem in half at least  grin12

Cheesy

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #8 - July 27, 2010, 03:48 PM

My 2 cents.  Intro threads should contain an introduction like where are you from, family, history and discussion related to that such as oh your from the me, what do you like about it, dislike etc.  Theological/ political discussions can wait.  Intro threads are to know the poster as a person.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #9 - July 27, 2010, 04:03 PM

I dont mind an introduction page turning into a discussion fest. 

At the end of the day its up to the newbie if he wishes to continue the discussion, and I am not sure if it makes any difference either way.  Muslims will get tied up in those kind of discussion in any case, and then leave, so might as well have it out on the intro thread (for several reasons).

But, since they are n00bs, they have no idea that the same argument is being discussed or is better discussed elsewhere.

Reply #10 - July 27, 2010, 04:07 PM

I agree Tialoc, but it's difficult to see what can be done about it. perhaps intro threads should allow only welcoming messages and any sort of questions/ discussions should be discouraged?

Well, I think we "regulars" should avoid questioning somebody's beliefs as soon as they make an intro thread.

I just try to imagine the opposite: me introducing myself as an Atheist in some religious forum and everyone questioning left and right why I do not believe in God because "it's so evident that I should believe in God, since it's so evident that God exists", and 20+ parallel arguments starting, and me being unable to follow them all, mixed with a bit of flaming and crude lame humor towards my lack of belief... and me saying "ok, fuck all" and deleting.

Reply #11 - July 27, 2010, 04:08 PM

My 2 cents.  Intro threads should contain an introduction like where are you from, family, history and discussion related to that such as oh your from the me, what do you like about it, dislike etc.  Theological/ political discussions can wait.  Intro threads are to know the poster as a person.

I raise that to 4 cents!

Reply #12 - July 27, 2010, 04:16 PM

Well, I think we "regulars" should avoid questioning somebody's beliefs as soon as they make an intro thread.

I just try to imagine the opposite: me introducing myself as an Atheist in some religious forum and everyone questioning left and right why I do not believe in God because "it's so evident that I should believe in God, since it's so evident that God exists", and 20+ parallel arguments starting, and me being unable to follow them all, mixed with a bit of flaming and crude lame humor towards my lack of belief... and me saying "ok, fuck all" and deleting.

I joined an Islamic forum once and introduced myself as an ex-Muslim. People were very condescending towards me from the get go. I asked one guy why he's disrespectful when I've been respectful towards him, he said he doesn't respect people who disrespect God.

As I said, it's an introduction to what the new user will be facing. It's expected. The new user can either continue the debate in the thread or take it elsewhere.

No one here has been unwelcoming.
     Reply #13 - July 27, 2010, 05:56 PM

But, since they are n00bs, they have no idea that the same argument is being discussed or is better discussed elsewhere.

I disagree.  Some have claimed  to be reading threads for  weeks, even months.
    Surely they know what to expect.

Some have already formulated  "opinions" about this person or that person,
    and express themselves as such, IN their introductions, or shortly thereafter.

I need to abstain from some of the intros cuz  I get sooo  pissed off, and admittedly
    realize after the fact, that my buttons HAVE been pushed, deliberately.

Perhaps i should take a hiatus from all intro threads.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #14 - July 27, 2010, 07:40 PM

That should be the intro thread.  It's just to know someones general background, no?

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #15 - July 27, 2010, 08:15 PM

I think Megan fox is over-rated.

As if you wouldn't  Wink
     Reply #16 - July 27, 2010, 08:24 PM

I agree with deusvult et al. An intro thread is just an introduction of the poster, not a place for debates. I'm interested to know how the person got to his/her current state of (non)belief, what interests them in an ex-Muslim forum, etc. Some interesting debate topics may come out of those answers, and it would be a great time to invite the poster to discuss in a different thread. Otherwise the single thread will become a mash of several different topics that are too difficult to follow.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #17 - July 27, 2010, 08:34 PM

And waaaay too long lol

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #18 - July 27, 2010, 09:14 PM

I agree with deusvult et al. An intro thread is just an introduction of the poster, not a place for debates. I'm interested to know how the person got to his/her current state of (non)belief, what interests them in an ex-Muslim forum, etc. Some interesting debate topics may come out of those answers, and it would be a great time to invite the poster to discuss in a different thread. Otherwise the single thread will become a mash of several different topics that are too difficult to follow.

+1

Mods take note. Tongue

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #19 - July 27, 2010, 09:32 PM

My 2 cents.  Intro threads should contain an introduction like where are you from, family, history and discussion related to that such as oh your from the me, what do you like about it, dislike etc.  Theological/ political discussions can wait.  Intro threads are to know the poster as a person.

6 cents.
     Reply #20 - July 27, 2010, 11:46 PM

I sort of in agreement with this but wouldn't like to have to police it as such. Would be better if people just chilled out a bit in the intros I think.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »