Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: the apparent paradox between free will and predestination.

(Read 16396 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: the apparent paradox between free will and predestination.
     Reply #30 - July 26, 2010, 10:48 PM

Hi,
    Could you kindly explain how I misinterpreted chaos?
    And would you be so kind as to give any reference which would show me that physical determinism is indeed a consensus view. I find this topic most interesting and would eagerly read any reference you could give that backs this claim up.
    Also I didn't intend to imply that scientists them self make flawed deductions. I consider science perfectly neutral on these issues. It's just that many people seem to argue that science is on their side in this.

Hi Aziz,
    In short I think the issue of omnipotence vs free will, is solved by determining just how much "free will" mankind gets. I do believe this freedom is very limited, and it is free in the sense that we only have a few choses every now and then. And Allah wanted us to have this kind of freedom, so our freedom there doesn't contradict his freedom (and thus doesn't contradict his omnipotence). So in general, I would say the contradiction depends on which choices an omnipotent being would (want) to take, and which type of freedom he grants.
     Reply #31 - July 26, 2010, 11:03 PM

Chaos is a property of perfectly deterministic systems which are just hard to predict and extremely sensitive to initial conditions. Therefore chaos cannot give rise to free will.

Quantum Randomness is sometimes considered a candidate to support free will, but as of today there are no scientifically valid models which show the emergence of free will out of micro scopic randomness.

Quantum randomness is just a hole in physical determinism that all non determinist philosophers try to exploit without much regard to the mechanics of how it could ever lead to free will.

Its a huge leap of faith to assert that micro scopic randomness leads to some kind of choice.
     Reply #32 - July 26, 2010, 11:05 PM

Iblis,
    I guess this is why my mommy said I shouldn't feed the trolls....  Roll Eyes

s12345,
    Look as long as we don't know the cause of everything, there's no way of knowing is there? I was merely saying that there are candidates. And that perhaps things aren't completely deterministic.
     Reply #33 - July 26, 2010, 11:11 PM

non deterministism does not imply free will.

the stock market doesn't decide to crash any more than a electron decides to appear at a particular location.
     Reply #34 - July 26, 2010, 11:19 PM

as far as showing something as merely possible goes, thats really silly. there might just be a 1000 different types of gods and a 1000 different type of theologies that can't be directly refuted.

its not possible to refute all speculations with science or logic. they are still speculations.

this is a different topic, but cosmology and paleo genetics do not fit well with the islamic creation account.
     Reply #35 - July 27, 2010, 01:43 AM

One problem I see is the inshallah factor.

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #36 - July 27, 2010, 09:44 AM

Hi TheRationaliser
    Sorry for getting your opinion wrong before, and I'm still not getting it in fact. On one hand you seem to be admitting that indeed we have free will, but on the other hand you seem to be saying, God could have made me so I would have used my free will differently so it's still his fault? To me your position sounds like, yeah I have free will, but I'm not willing to take responsibility for it (No offense intended).

Nope, you are still not getting it.  Let me try something else.

A child born to Hindu parents, raised with Hindu beliefs, indoctrinated.  They live in a Hindu village so everyone around them is a Hindu.  Hinduism is the only credible religion to them.  One day they pick up the Quran and read it, the whole idea of it is so foreign to them that they are simply incapable of feeling that it makes sense.

They have the free will to accept it anyway, because it threatens them with Hell if they do not, but then again Christians threaten the same if they don't believe that Jesus was the son of God so why would they pick one religion that means nothing to them over another that is equally meaningless?

And so the point is.  Is that person to blame?  They were born with a brain wired in such a way that made them more prone to accept authority - so that's beyond their control.  They were brainwashed throughout their life - again beyond their control.  By the time they see another religion their brain is so strongly entrenched in their beliefs that they find it impossible to believe any other - beyond their control.  And finally if they started to question their belief there is the entire village to back it up and give it credibility - again beyond their control.

So despite having free will the parameters of their life which guides the mental processes which influence that free will are beyond their control - and so they only act within certain parameters.

Life and culture etc are one massive chaos engine where ones life is influenced by our surroundings and feeds back into that machine.  The current configuration is a reflection of the initial parameters, the initial parameters were (apparently) defined by god.

So, when god created Adam he defined his initial configuration (brain wiring etc) and his parameters (his environment and experiences)  First of all he told angels to bow to Adam knowing full well that Satan would refuse, he also made sure that Adam would be there to see this refusal.  He put a tree there from which Adam should not eat and yet made it accessible.  Then he agreed that Satan could spend millennia trying to make humans evil people.

So, these are all input parameters to the first human's life.  If god had not created the tree then things would be massively different. If he had not told the angels to bow to Adam things would be entirely different. If he had not let Adam see Satan refuse things would be different.  If he had not agreed to Satan misguiding people things would have been different.

I mean, why the hell would god tell people not to eat pigs and then put some people on islands where their primary source of food is pig?  That's another input parameter which guides their lives!

Chaos machine : Butterfly effect : Original input parameters : The way the human mind was originally created.

A quick analogy:
    I leave my baby in the room while I grab a t-towel to clean up a feeding spillage.  The door-gate is up so she cannot escape.  However my natural fire is burning away and there is no fire guard.  The way her brain currently works (insatiable curiosity) combined with her environmental input parameters (no parent present, pretty fire) make it likely that she is going to get burned.  I don't have to perform brain surgery to take away her natural curiosity, I just have to change the initial environment and things will be much different.  She won't get hideously scarred, she won't suffer a life of depression, she won't go on to kill herself when she is 15, she WILL go on to have children, and the chaos engine feeds back into itself for each of her children + all the people she meets throughout her life.

All for the price of a fire guard.

Is that any better?

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #37 - July 27, 2010, 11:18 AM

doesn't detract my point. there simply is no proof of any kind of god, and believers in god are severely deluded, irrespective of what kind of god they believe in.
     Reply #38 - July 27, 2010, 11:31 AM

knowledge of islam isn't necessary to debunk islam. there is simple no proof for any kind of god.

Well, you could debunk the existence of any hypothetical God and to this Allah applies from the characteristics applied to him, but you do need knowledge of Islam and what it is you are going to be debunking Smiley i.e the miracles and claims made in the Quran, because you should know what it is you are speaking about in order to properly make an argument against it which isn't based on preconceived notions. with broad topics such as free-will and predestination, perhaps, it is easy to get away with knowing no details of those things as maintained by the Quran.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #39 - July 27, 2010, 11:33 AM

You don't need knowledge of Islam to debunk their miracle claims - you look for evidence outside of the religion to corroborate the religion and that is exactly where you find the evidence that they are not miracles.

Reply #40 - July 27, 2010, 11:35 AM

But you still need to be aware what the 'miracles' are (supposed to be)! You can't make sweeping statements like "there is no proof for any kind of god" while ignorant of a particular religion's claims.
     Reply #41 - July 27, 2010, 11:43 AM

But you still need to be aware what the 'miracles' are (supposed to be)! You can't make sweeping statements like "there is no proof for any kind of god" while ignorant of a particular religion's claims.

Islamic miracles aren't based on Islam.  For example "Two waters" is debunked by reading Genesis.  You can debunk plenty without ever picking up the Quran.  I think you only need knowledge of the Quran to debunk an Islam miracle if the Quran states a contradictory statement to the miracle claim, but so far I've not needed to do that as the claims are self evidently inaccurate.

As for disproving the religion itself, that's nonsense.  The correct stance is to prove a claim, not disprove one.

Reply #42 - July 27, 2010, 11:50 AM

Islamic miracles aren't based on Islam.  For example "Two waters" is debunked by reading Genesis.  You can debunk plenty without ever picking up the Quran.  I think you only need knowledge of the Quran to debunk an Islam miracle if the Quran states a contradictory statement to the miracle claim, but so far I've not needed to do that as the claims are self evidently inaccurate.

As for disproving the religion itself, that's nonsense.  The correct stance is to prove a claim, not disprove one.

Yet you need to know what it is you're debunking. The particular hadith, the particular miracle.
    Some of us don't know these details...yet.  grin12

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #43 - July 27, 2010, 11:51 AM

Islamic miracles aren't based on Islam.  For example "Two waters" is debunked by reading Genesis.  You can debunk plenty without ever picking up the Quran.  I think you only need knowledge of the Quran to debunk an Islam miracle if the Quran states a contradictory statement to the miracle claim, but so far I've not needed to do that as the claims are self evidently inaccurate.

Eh? How can you know what the qur'an's claims are if you have no knowledge of it? Don't forget too that according to muslims the qur'an itself is the biggest miracle.

As for disproving the religion itself, that's nonsense.  The correct stance is to prove a claim, not disprove one.

Debates work like this -

1: Makes a claim.
    2: Asks for proof.
    1: Provides something he considers proof.
    2: Has to show why that is NOT valid proof.

If you are unaware of what somone is providing as proof of a claim, you can't then say "there is no proof."
     Reply #44 - July 27, 2010, 11:51 AM

lol. scientific ignoramuses lecturing me on rationality. the other guy already made a total mockery of physics trying to lend support to free will.

what can you expect from people who believe in a book full of scientific mistakes.

theology does not have the same status as physics or chemistry or genetics. sorry. don't expect me to treat theologically oriented philosopher with kid gloves.
     Reply #45 - July 27, 2010, 11:53 AM

It goes like this

P1: I have a miracle
    P2: Show me the evidence
    P1: Verses X,Y,Z
    P2: This information was known before Muhammad's life

It's the evidence you need to be aware of, and that is presented to you by the person making the claim.

Reply #46 - July 27, 2010, 11:57 AM

That's what I said. :/

Exactly, and the evidence is taken from the qur'an.
     Reply #47 - July 27, 2010, 12:02 PM

Exactly, and the evidence is taken from the qur'an.

No, you said *I* need knowledge of the Quran, that's wrong.  The person making the claim needs that knowledge in order to know what the claim is and present it to you.  I only need to know what evidence they are providing - the source could be anything, including the Bible/Torah or some other religious document that is totally unrelated to Islam.

For example an ancient Egyptian parchment saying "There will be a prophet of God named 'Muhammad' who will be born in Mecca in 570CE and die in 622CE"

That is an Islamic miracle claim, you don't need the Quran or any other Islamic documents, you just need the evidence no matter what form it comes in.

Reply #48 - July 27, 2010, 12:03 PM

But to say there is NO proof, you need to be aware of ALL the claims, and a lot of those ARE taken from the qur'an.
     Reply #49 - July 27, 2010, 12:06 PM

But to say there is NO proof, you need to be aware of ALL the claims, and a lot of those ARE taken from the qur'an.

To say "There is no proof" is correct, only to say "There is no evidence" is incorrect Smiley

You don't know what evidence there is, but evidence only becomes proof once it has been assessed and considered conclusive.  So we know that so far there is no proof, but to say there is no evidence is wrong just as it is wrong to say there will never be any proof.

It's the same argument for God.  I am an atheist because I believe there is no proof, but to say there is no evidence and will never be any proof would be closed minded.

Reply #50 - July 27, 2010, 12:11 PM

To say "There is no proof" is correct, only to say "There is no evidence" is incorrect Smiley

To say "I believe there is no proof" or "As far as I'm aware there is no proof" would be correct.

You don't know what evidence there is, but evidence only becomes proof once it has been assessed and considered conclusive.  

Right.

So we know that so far there is no proof, but to say there is no evidence is wrong just as it is wrong to say there will never be any proof.

Right again. Smiley
     Reply #51 - July 27, 2010, 12:13 PM

To say "I believe there is no proof" or "As far as I'm aware there is no proof" would be correct.

Yes, I agree.  Although my meaning was "there is no widely known proof.  I was talking from the point of view of humanity and not individually.

Not that I know what the hell this conversation is all about Smiley

Reply #52 - July 27, 2010, 12:14 PM

I was hoping you'd tell me. Tongue
     Reply #53 - July 27, 2010, 03:02 PM

The OP is correct, there need not be any contradiction between apparent free-will and predestination.
    In practical terms, we are definately free. Emotions such as responsbility, shame and regret are meaningless unless we have freedom of choice and those feelings are as real as anything can be. The only reason free will is rejected is that in our abstract, rational modelling of the universe we find that freedom is incompatible with the causal closure of the micro-physical world. However, and this point is often overlooked, abstract reasoning can only take one so far, but when it contradicts with the actual facts of reality, the absolute truth of the matter without any abstraction whatsoever, there is only free choice and it must take precedent.
    Of course, it may be true that if I choose to order a cup of tea instead of a cup of coffee this was always going to be the case taking into account the random quantum fluctuations that lead me to such a decision. However, there is not and can never be enough information available to me about every variable in the universe for me to know what my decision will be before I make it - in which case, even if my action is completely determined, my lack of knowledge of that determination makes my action appear free when I refuse to abstract it.
    I've stated this example elsewhere, but I think it works well and I will repeat it here. Space is as determined as time when abstractly modelled, and yet it would be impossible to divide space in half and to determine what the loaction of all particles on one side will be just because you have knowledge of the other side. Similarly, it's impossible to determine what the future will be even if you think you have all information about the past and so the future remains open to choice.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #54 - July 27, 2010, 03:19 PM

The OP is correct, there need not be any contradiction between apparent free-will and predestination.

With one proviso, that the observer does not interfere at any point.  If the observer interferes and knows the ultimate consequences of the interference then we have been manipulated.

It's like the scene with The Oracle on The Matrix.  She says to him "Don't worry about the vase".  He says "What vase?", and while looking around knocks a vase over and it smashes.  Looking around was his own conscious decision, however he wouldn't have done it if it weren't for her statement. 

If the observer interferes with the observation they change its ultimate outcome.  If they know the ultimate outcome of their interference then they have pre-destined it, and ultimately we had no choice.

Reply #55 - July 27, 2010, 03:25 PM

I do not understand what you mean here, tr, unfortunately.
    What do you mean by the observer? If I order a tea instead of a coffee then who is the observer? God?

Reply #56 - July 27, 2010, 03:37 PM

I do not understand what you mean here, tr, unfortunately.
    What do you mean by the observer? If I order a tea instead of a coffee then who is the observer? God?

Correct, god is the observer.  Here's a non-interference scenario...

1: God creates everything in a big bang capable of forming intelligent life.
    2: People are formed, god decides to judge us.
    3: We are judged by our actions.

At which point did god influence our decisions?  Firstly merely having the concept of god influences us.  Believing we will be judged influences us.  In fact just tweaking the force of gravity by a tiny fraction would have resulted in a different universe, one in which humans may have been more or less cruel.  So there is no point that god has had no influence on us.

Let's get to the point where god sends us a prophet....

God knows everything.  He knows everything he could do, he also knows every consequence until the end of time for every action he might take.  So knowing that, when he reveals his scripture he knows that even something as apparently insignificant as a comma or a full stop (or substituting a single word for another) could be the difference between saving Bob and burning Bill / or / burning Bob and saving Bill.  So, does god put in the comma or not?  Does god use word A or word B?  That's god's decision, and knowing the eventual outcome of that decision means it is god who decides which one burns and which one doesn't - before they are even born.

So my point is this.  If you know everything then the ONLY way you cannot pre-destine people's lives is if you have absolutely ZERO input.  Anything above ZERO means you are not only influencing events, but with full knowledge of the repercussions you are actually deciding them!

Reply #57 - July 27, 2010, 03:44 PM

I don't think that follows. God persumably knows everything and creates everything as it is to happen anyway. God in this case is interchangable with the causal closure of the microphysical - in both cases everything is completely decided before I make my decision.
    However, in both cases, my decision to do A instead of B, as determined as it is, will still feel like a free choice to me. As far as my experience of the choice is concerned I made the choice myself because I cannot know either the will of God or the toal configuration of microphysical events.
    In other words, of course my actions are all decided for me but my experience of them will always be of them being free because I cannot know what my choice will be before I make it. If I knew for a fact that I will always go for the tea in that situation no matter what then of course my decision is made for me (either by God or the interaction of particles, doesn't matter which) but my point is, there is absolutely no way of knowing that for a fact. I cannot know that I will always go for the tea and so my choice, being what it is, happens to be free.

Reply #58 - July 27, 2010, 03:52 PM

To be honest, the notion of "free will" is shady and imprecise.
    So what you all are saying is very close to just blahblahblah.

If by "free will" you mean the ability to act in a way that is not determined by previous causes, then it is necessarily incompatible with determinism.

If you mean something else like "the inability of an individual to determine the outcome of his actions", like z10 just used, then it's compatible with determinism.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #59 - July 27, 2010, 04:00 PM

Actually, not the outcome of his actions... but the outcome of all the previous events that MIGHT have resulted in his decision.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »