Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: convinced rational muslim

(Read 38772 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: convinced rational muslim
     Reply #120 - July 23, 2010, 05:45 PM

"Hi HomerSo your question is, you've found things to be the opposite as I see them, and you want me to elaborate why that is so?H"

Because I don't know what you mean, and you said not to judge you by putting words in your mouth, so I asked you to elaborate. Seems fair enough.

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #121 - July 23, 2010, 05:46 PM

Hi olweasel
    I think can be simultaneous strong and logical, in fact I think those two reinforce each other.

How?

My comments on evolution, were coming from my personal views which you can find in detail on my website on the evolution-page, but which I don't want to copy paste here in this thread.

Could you sum up your main points?

I'm very well aware that my viewpoints are circular and faith-based here on this issue.

Then how did you affirm "the correctness of my faith", as you stated in your very first post?

I never intended to deny that. It also wasn't my intention to "validate" God. Just to explain my viewpoints as Hassan asked about them.

You were trying to validate your viewpoints, which include god and eternal damnation.

And I disagree, I don't think Hassan was arguing from a logicians point of view, neither do I think you can just claim this view to be moral objectivism.

He believes that morality exists without god, or that morals are objective, and that your proposed god would be morally incoherent.

This stance is shared by moral objectivists.

There's a difference between arguing in favor of a view, and then proceeding by establishing it as universal.
    And what you're doing, labeling it as universal and expecting me to accept it axiomatically.

Reality isn't objective?

As for your other two questions,yes I do believe in the existence of djinns and that the majority of them are out to misguide us.

Why do you assume they exist?

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #122 - July 23, 2010, 06:08 PM

Quote from: Abdul-Fattah on Today at 08:38 AM
    As for your other two questions,yes I do believe in the existence of djinns and that the majority of them are out to misguide us.

please provide surrah/hadiths to back up this belief. (i.e.  THE MAJORITY OF DJINNS ARE OUT TO
    MISGUIDE US)

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #123 - July 23, 2010, 06:12 PM

I remember when my parents said the jinn would kidnap me if I played outside during Maghrib.  Tongue

- Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #124 - July 23, 2010, 06:13 PM

Woaw I dind't expect that many comments over night

Guys be fair, you judge me for stereotypical beliefs, while you don't even know my views on Islam (and yes there are many different views even among the scholars). I'm attacked from all sizes by arguments saying  "you believe in this" and "you believe in that"? Most of the things you people ask me about with judgment in your tone are things I don't believe in either. While I clearly said I didn't come here to try and convince you. Then others comment it's boring and that I'm a troll for debating here, but I'm not the one debating, I'm simply answering the questions people are asking me.

Is it really that hard for you people that a Muslim registered in the forum and voices his opinion? I know there's ton of websites out there attacking Islam, but there's tons of websites out there that refute them. Must we really copy paste that all here? Again, I didn't come here to pick a fight or convince you of my views. And I'm not directing this post to the people who were genuinely asking about my opinion, but most of you didn't seem genuine at all in the way you approached me. It's easy to write me of as just another nutter, but if you're really an ex-muslim you should know better.
    And I get you might get a lot of trolls in here, and that the response I'm getting here is probably payback for how they behaved here in the past. But I know you all realize that's not fair. So to the people here out to get me could you give it a rest and grant me the benefit of the doubt.

far away hug

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #125 - July 23, 2010, 06:28 PM

Abdul-Fattah

EVERY muslim has their "views" on islam.  from one extreme to the other, and
    every thing in between.  And I AGREE with SOME of your views
    However, as I said before, they are grand dreams of hope, love, peace,
    UMMAH! I too, wanted this to be so.  But you cannot twist islam to your
    interpretation, or "wanting" a surrah or hadeeth to be explained away from
    its heinous origins, just because you dont like it.  Islam is ALL or NOTHING.

you cant bend or change the reality.  Why is the koran soambiguous, that
    over 1400 years there has been somuch violence BETWEEN muslims for
    this very reason?  Does god ENJOY watching his peons torture,and kill
    each other off in such fervor?  When I see a shia masjid, a sufi masjid,
    a wahabi masjid, and any others ALL come together as UMMAH,
    I MIGHT rethink some things.  Where are the miracles today?  
    where are the basic,fundamental humanrights since islam's inception?
    Reallity vs. rose colored glasses.  im not bashing you, i am pointing
    out that I,too had rose colored glasses inmy outlook on islam,but
    was rudely "slapped intheface" MANY times (figuratively speaking)

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #126 - July 23, 2010, 07:12 PM

Yes its tired, but the issues are still live. 

And remember the discussion here is not just addressed to Abdul-Fattah but to any other readers, even muslims and those thinking about converting to Islam.

If they honestly want reasons against Islam, they'd search for them all over the internet or on previous things on this forum. But they're not genuinely interested, which is why I don't bother.
     Reply #127 - July 23, 2010, 09:47 PM

Hi princespinoza
    Yes Allah knows what we would do even if he weren't to test us, the test is not meant for Allah to learn what we'd do, the test is mean for us to learn what we'd do.

So why are the infants not given the opportunity to learn what they'd do?

As for your question about the high number of infant deaths up until recently, and wheter I think it's reasonable none of them would turn out to be bad people. First of all, my argument isn't that they would have been completely devout of evil, just more good then evil. Well to be honest I'm not even sure it's like that, I'm just saying it's a possible alternative for the sake of argument.

And what are you basing this argument on?

Secondly your argument is a bit silly. See, you're thinking that it would be unreasonable to think that statistically, because what you see from the people who haven't died, is that many of them are evil. The reason that is is silly though, is that from my point of view, the people that haven't died aren't a representable group to make deductions about those who did died.

No, what you're saying is that every single one of those infants that died were not destined for hell-fire. That's an unreasonable claim, unless you have anything to back up your claim.

As for the state of those who disbelieve but are genuinely convinced it is false, only Allah knows. I guess it would all come down to how honest the person was in getting to his/her convinced state of mind. Was the person building on false information, was the person being guided by his/her own desires, was the person honest to him/herself and so on.

Everyone is guided by their own desires.
     Reply #128 - July 23, 2010, 09:49 PM

If they honestly want reasons against Islam, they'd search for them all over the internet or on previous things on this forum. But they're not genuinely interested, which is why I don't bother.

I agree.
     Reply #129 - July 23, 2010, 10:25 PM

Hi princespinoza
    Yes Allah knows what we would do even if he weren't to test us, the test is not meant for Allah to learn what we'd do, the test is mean for us to learn what we'd do.

Christianity and Islam's teleological responses to the problem of evil and the purpose of life seem wholly inadequate.

We addressed this in the free will discussion, so you might want to look at that.

Not only did Allah know that we were going to disbelieve when he created us - but he will punish us for it.

In addition, the Qur'an also claims that Allah intervenes and blinds some people so that they can never reach the path.

Those who reject Our Signs are deaf and dumb in the midst of darkness profound: whom Allah willeth He leaveth to wander; whom He willeth, He placeth on the way that is straight.

Such are the men whom Allah has cursed, for He has made them deaf and blinded their sight.

It is he whom Allah guides, that is on true guidance; but he whom He leaves astray,― for such wilt thou find no protector besides Him. On the Day of Judgment We shall gather them together, prone on their faces, blind, dumb, and deaf: their abode will be Hell: every time it shows abatement, We shall increase for them the fierceness of the Fire.  Al-Anaam [6:39]

As for the state of those who disbelieve but are genuinely convinced it is false, only Allah knows. I guess it would all come down to how honest the person was in getting to his/her convinced state of mind. Was the person building on false information, was the person being guided by his/her own desires, was the person honest to him/herself and so on.

So Islam is the absolute truth, and anyone who doesn't think so must be misguided or an evil hedonist?

- Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #130 - July 24, 2010, 01:45 AM

What's up with all this MRasheedness?

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #131 - July 24, 2010, 07:58 AM

One man's troll is another man's debater!These people are so intransigent and so full of themselves that they believe and tout their infallibility. IMHO, the whole purpose of a debate is to clarify matters,it shouldn't be about winning. If at the end of a debate you have reached a middle ground then that's the real victory.       

Unfortunately the predominant attitude of these people is " I know I am right, you are misguided by your misunderstanding of my Holy Book, so I am here to show you why and how you are wrong!" "allah knows best" is a very handy cop out.

The willingness to accept that one could be wrong sometimes[which is natural] and is ready to learn and accept mistakes with grace, is almost always one sided.
    This makes any meaningful debate a non starter.
    Come to think of it, how can you ever debate 'THE WORD OF GOD' ? It would be tantamount to calling something 'perfect' imperfect!

So the sane thing to do in such a situation is to agree to disagree and 'live and let live'. But how many times are you going to do that and keep flogging a dead horse?
     beatdeadhorse

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #132 - July 24, 2010, 08:37 AM

Abdul-Fattah

EVERY muslim has their "views" on islam.  from one extreme to the other, and
    every thing in between.  And I AGREE with SOME of your views
    However, as I said before, they are grand dreams of hope, love, peace,
    UMMAH! I too, wanted this to be so
    .  But you cannot twist islam to your
    interpretation, or "wanting" a surrah or hadeeth to be explained away from
    its heinous origins, just because you dont like it.  Islam is ALL or NOTHING.

you cant bend or change the reality.  Why is the koran soambiguous, that
    over 1400 years there has been somuch violence BETWEEN muslims for
    this very reason?  Does god ENJOY watching his peons torture,and kill
    each other off in such fervor?  When I see a shia masjid, a sufi masjid,
    a wahabi masjid, and any others ALL come together as UMMAH,
    I MIGHT rethink some things.  Where are the miracles today?  
    where are the basic,fundamental humanrights since islam's inception?
    Reallity vs. rose colored glasses.  im not bashing you, i am pointing
    out that I,too had rose colored glasses inmy outlook on islam,but
    was rudely "slapped intheface" MANY times (figuratively speaking)

What are the views you agree with ? I will hazard a guess and say that those will be something that won't be unique to Islam.
    You have admitted that even after the apostasy you are the same person you were before[Islam and pre Islam]. Don't you think that hope, love, peace,desire for brotherhood are pure individual traits that are best expressed individually? In other words no religion or any other institution on earth can create and nurture these qualities for you. YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE IN CHARGE OF YOUR PERSONALITY!
    If diligently following the instructions of a recipe could produce a great dish,then all the cooks in this world would be great cooks!
    So be confident about your goodness and don't bother to seek the approval of anyone. Let all of us express our goodness in our own way and let no religion usurp the credit and crow about it!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Reply #133 - July 24, 2010, 03:33 PM

Quote from: Abdul-Fattah
    You speak as if people should only accept something if it is verified with the scientific method. I think that's rather shortsighted.

Wrong. I expect anyone who is to be taken seriously to present something that is verifiable, big difference. It isn't shortsighted, it's rational and reason-based thinking.

Science is simply to limited to apply in some fields.

See, that's where you get stuck. With Islam, you have a belief system that makes enormous claims as to the origins of the universe, this planet, the origins of man, etc. All sorts of claims that have been evidenced, beyond reasonable doubt, to be absolutely false.

With religion you can't bend without breaking. Make worldly claims about worldly matters, then you're bound to be shown up as the human species improves it's ability to find out more about these things.

Obviously I didn't verify my faith with the scientific method.

Obviously.

Thats why my replies was that I believed in the usefullness of the scientiifc method, but at the same time think that it's scope is limited so we shouldn't stop there and be open to other methods as wel, and we should allow our minds to form opinions based on other methods as welll (such as philosophy, logic, plausibility, personal experiences and so on).

Philosophy, good. You can have much in religious thought/reflection that is philosphical, but Islam in particular is a revelation-based religion. Your hands are effectively tied. You aren't a muslim if you genuinely believe in the attributes of Allah, his messenger - as well as pose philosphical questions with regards to things like why we're here and what we should be doing, how we should treat eachother, what is really most important in life, etc. These sorts of things are spelt out for you in Islam, you don't have the scope to explore these ideas for youself with a free mind and concience. As a muslim you effectively have to work backwards in a bid to affirm a faith handed down via revelation. To admit to such fundamental quesitons as being open to discussion opens you up to 'kufr' because if you accept the method, you accept the outcome. If you're intellectually honest and objective, that is. 

Let's not mince words here, what we're talking about here is 'thought crime'.

Logic, great. Consistency would be a fairly big challenge for anyone that takes the Qur'an and Ahadith seriously though. Let's be clear, religion, in particular Islam, is full of arbitrary and ad hoc formulations and applications of logic - the premises of which  point to a specific time and place in human history, in a specific part of the world. A belief system for all times and places, is it? It can't be.

Plausibility. Well, Islam, like all religions, claim that the origins of this world and mankind are self evident, an idea that no reasonable person in the 19th century, let alone 21st, with all other tools of intellect at his/her disposal can accept.

Personal experience - well, millions of people in the american south would classify a warm fuzzy feeling in the bathtub as being that of the holy spirit. These things in themselves don't present an plausable and provable link between cause and effect.   

You forgot ethics...and Islam fails there, too.
     Reply #134 - July 24, 2010, 03:43 PM

hypocrucifier- the dawagandists lead me to believe islam was all those things
    i valued.  I agreed with his stance that kaffirs shouldnt be killed LOL. I did NOT
    agree with him RE: folks he entertains on his forum. 

yes.  NOW i do re:  my ideals, are based on one's own personal nature, vs. having
    it being dictated to.  That was another GREAT disappointment for me, that characteristics
    I hold "sacred" if you will, that koranic bribery was used as incentive.

Helen Keller
     Reply #135 - July 24, 2010, 05:35 PM

Welcome.

Were you existentially depressed as an atheist, and do you feel Islam made you happier and gave your life meaning?
     Reply #136 - July 24, 2010, 06:33 PM

I don't think he's coming back...
     Reply #137 - July 24, 2010, 06:35 PM

lol

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #138 - July 24, 2010, 06:55 PM

I think his time is limited and he can't answer all the hundreds of questions here. Fucking read his story. I did...

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #139 - July 24, 2010, 07:06 PM

I think all Muslims have to go through shit when they first join, and they only stay if they manage to endure it all. Kind of like a frat initiation.
     Reply #140 - July 24, 2010, 07:08 PM

But maybe we should limit debates on intro threads.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #141 - July 24, 2010, 07:09 PM

If you look at Iblis' avatar long enough, it'll make you laugh.

Cheesy
     Reply #142 - July 24, 2010, 08:34 PM

Personal experience - well, millions of people in the american south would classify a warm fuzzy feeling in the bathtub as being that of the holy spirit.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy No wonder these people 'graduate' to Islam so easily despite great cultural differences.

Thomas Paine

Reply #143 - July 24, 2010, 09:38 PM

hypocrucifier, unfortunately its true.  (re: americans and personal exprience)
    it happened to me too.  However, my motive was a last ditch effort to believe
    in the big sky daddy.   The dawagandists that target Americans are thorough
    in their rhetoric to make it really appealing, too.

Helen Keller
     Reply #144 - July 24, 2010, 09:58 PM

Welcome Man

Hopefully by the time you leave from here, you'll be a Rational Thinking Free Thinker
     Reply #145 - July 25, 2010, 02:41 AM

One man's troll is another man's debater!These people are so intransigent and so full of themselves that they believe and tout their infallibility.

Abdul-Fattah must be MRasheed's joke account.  Wink

- Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #146 - July 25, 2010, 07:04 AM

I think you guys opened a little hard. This is the introduction thread after all.  Roll Eyes

But just in case he returns and actually decides to adress the many points raised here, I want to add my own, which I don't think has been mentioned yet.

To this day, the most horrible discovery I had about Islam was learning about Aisha, the child bride of the self professed prophet of the infallible creator of the Universe. What was your first reaction to this Abdul-Fattah, and how do you justify such a dubious action by the person who is supposed to be the epitome of purity, justice and morality?

Bukhari 62:142 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:
       The Prophet used to pass by (have sexual relation with) all his wives in one night, and at that time he had nine wives.
     Reply #147 - July 25, 2010, 02:54 PM

Hi Ras111,
    As for your question about verses saying that people joining partners to Allah will go to hell. I think it's important to keep in mind the context of those verses. they are general verses with a general message. There are many verses which say people doing this, or people with this characteristic will go to hell. And at the same time many verses saying that people doing that and with those characteristics will go to heaven. This begs the question, what about people who do things from both classes? What about people who have characteristics of both classes? I think the only logical interpretation of these verses is thus, that they are not meant as a tool for us to derive who will go to heaven, and who will go to hell, but that rather these verses were only meant to show which actions and characteristics should be avoided, and which are admirable. Again remember the purpose of the Qur'an is to guide people. So verses saying "these people will go to hell" are not with the purpose of letting us know who'll end up were, but rather are meant to guide us away from a certain type of actions.
    As for your question on the difference of a woman's testimony compared to a man's testimony. I think you're referring to the testimony on financial transactions right? Well I think that in general men as opposed to woman have a better memory for numbers. That's not to say there might be some woman with exceptionally good memory for numbers, or some men with exceptionally bad memory for numbers. But in general, I do think this is one of these biological differences between men and woman.
    As for the issue of relationships, I think that taking the lead, and having authority are both intertwined, and that you cannot have one without the other. And again, I disagree with your argument that this implies men are superior in value in the eyes of God. In fact many verses in the Qur'an state that men and women are equal in value in the eyes of God. So the issue on leadership in a relation is a practical issue, and not a reflection of their respective value in the eyes of God. Also keep in mind that leadership comes hand in hand with responsibility. So it's not like men get a carte-blanche to do as they see fit. And those who do think that might be questioned about that in the afterlife.
    As for your question on why the Qur'an isn't writen in such a way that it would convince everyone. I can't claim to know the motives of GOd, but my best Guess would be that this would defeat the purpose of testing us.

Hi Ras111 & Abz,
    Since you both brought forth very similar arguments, I'll respond to both of you at once on this subject.
    Regarding the criteria for accepting things as truths. You seem to imply that accepting anything without scientific proof is irrational. So what you are saying in a way is that any faith is by itself already irrational, regardless of what the faith is. I think that's shortsighted. First of all, you seem to be forgetting the subtle differences between "knowing" something and "believing" something. Secondly, not everything which is true can also be proven, so by only believing in things which can be proven, you limit yourself to a whole bunch of truths out there. Thirdly, There are many other reasons, next to scientific proof which might make people accept things as truths. Indications, probabilities and plausibilities, personal experiences, emotional judgment and so on. Now, if you were to object that trough all these different methods, there is a much lower degree of certainty, and false truths can easily sneak in, Id have to admit you're right. However I still consider it rational to accept some things trough these methods from a pragmatists point of view. As I said, some things are simply beyond the scope of science, so I don't think we should limit ourself to accepting only those things which can be proven by science. at least that is the personal choice I made. I off course acknowledge your right to only believe in things that can be proven, or in other words to not "believe" in anything at all.

Hi Ras111 and Olweasel,
    You both asked me a similar questions about the apparent contradiction between predestination and free will. So basically how God can be just, if he already knows who will go to hell and who will go to heaven. I think your problem with this is, that you think if God knows in advance, that means he's responsible, right? Well I strongly disagree and consider that a slippery slope deduction. Just because somebody has knowledge of something, doesn't make him responsible for it. I believe God created us with free will, but he knew what we'd do with our free will. Just because he knew, doesn't mean we aren't responsible. If you have children, have you never had a situation were you knew they were about to do mischief, but rather then stopping them, you let them do it and then afterwards confronted them because you realized that this way they'd learn more out of the experience? Were they then not responsible or accountable for their mischief despite as a parent you knew what they were planning? I'd argue the case with pre-destination and punishment and reward, although not the same is still very similar.

Hi Olweasel,l
    On the reason I think faith can be simultaneously strong and logical, and why I think those two reinforce each other. Well I can't speak for other people, but for me personally, being raised in a Catholic environment I have a strong resentment against mysticism and the way it tries to shortcut criticism and bypass logic. Therefor to me, the more logical a faith is, the easier it is to accept and the stronger my faith becomes. Likewise, the stronger my personal faith is, the easier it is to think from within the faith-paradigm, and the easier it is to see the logical consistencies.
    When I said that I'm fully aware that my views are circular, you asked me then how I affirm the "correctness" of my faith. Well I think you might have misinterpreted my position. In my initial post, when stating that I consider my faith to be perfectly rational; I did not intend to mean by that, that my views are undeniable truths and everyone who opposes them must be false. I believe that two views can be completely opposite, and yet both can be perfectly logical and rational. Logic and rationality only go that far. You cannot build a world view without relying on premises and axioms. And those will always inevitably be biased to some extend. In the end we've no option then to chose our world views based on different criteria. So what I meant by pointing out the rationality of my views, is that my views are different from those who have inconsistent and illogical views, and don't even care about that because of their faith. My faith is different in the sense that I cannot have faith without logical consistency, but I have faith nonetheless because I found this consistency in Islam!
    Regarding the problem of evil, I do think that has been sufficiently tackled. the problem though, is that there are many types of evils, and that one scholar might limit his explanation to one type of evil, and another scholar to another, making both of their explanations insufficient. But if you put all these Islamic views toghether, you arrive at a pretty satisfactory reply to the problem of evil.   

1. Evil as result of free will. Many evil things comes from mankind's free will. The problem is freedom of Choice. If you believe -like I do- that life is a test; then God would defeat his own purpose by preventing evil! Stopping evil would prevent free will. 
    2. Necessary (relative) Evil. Of course, not all evil of the world can be traced back to human choices. There is a second type, which I'd like to call relative evils. Because their "evilness" is relative to one's perspective. Death for example, gets a whole new perspective if seen as a transition rather then an end. These are things that serve a purpose. It can be a practical purpose, like the mentioned death in order to transit from one world to the next. But other things as hardship can also have practical benefits. For example, it can teach people. Ever noticed how generally speaking, people who had little or no hardships in their life have a higher tendency to be arrogant? Rightful punishment could be another practical evil. As controversial as some of these might be, the point remains that we can imagine alternative motives, without resorting to judging our creator as malevolent for allowing these "evils".
    3. Hardship as a test. And then finally a third type of evil, in general all sorts of hardships and suffering that do not serve a direct purpose in this life. However even these can gain a new perspective if seen in the context of life being a test. There's a huge difference between a poor man who doesn't steal and a rich man who doesn't steal. From that perspective one could consider being poor as a blessing rather then a curse, as it can increase one's reward in the hereafter.

As for your question if I think that Islam is the absolute truth, and anyone who doesn't think so must be misguided or an evil hedonist? I'm a bit surprised you would deduce that out of my statement while I fact what I said was completely different.

Hi Jinn and tonic,
    I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful towards what you've been trough, but since you keep pressing the issue I'd like to take the opportunity to point some things out.
    - If the Saudi government imposes unfair rules towards woman, that doesn't mean that Islam is unfair towards woman, or that Islam is false. There is this hadeeth were the prophet mentioned that some time in the future (ie, after the war with the polytheists ended) a woman would be able to perform hajj while only having to fear wild animals. this clearly indicates that woman are allowed to perform hajj on their one as long as the route is safe and secure, as some scholars hold.
    - Even if these Saudi imposed rules hindered you from performing hajj, it's unfair to say that they stopped you from worshiping God. If you are unable to perform hajj by factors beyond you. Be that financial needs, or rules enforced by a woman-unfriendly government, then eitherway no blame falls on you and you're perfectly capable of worshiping god in all other methods which we have been thought in the Qur'an and sunnah.
    - Just because a large majority of Muslims have a different view, doesn't mean that theirs is the correct one, and I'm just wishful thinking. every opinion I hold, was formed based on arguments and source.

Hi Homer,
    It's not that I don't want to elaborate on your question, it's just that I've already got my hands full with this thread to reply to such "open questions". I'm not quite sure what exactly you're inquiring after. Furthermore I'm pretty sure that anything I'll post will probably create an avalanche of replies, so for the moment I think I prefer keeping it on the defensive and replying to these direct questions. Then when things cool down a bit, I might venture into different threads and voice my opinion occasionally.

Hi Prince Spinoza,
    My views on infant deaths, and hell and heaven, they are all derived from my faith, not the other way around that my faith is derived from my views on these issues. So yes, my views will obviously will be circular. I never denied that. I've chosen a paradigm because to me it seems the most logical and consistent, but in the end it is a faith and I have no proof to show for it. On the other hand, I think there's something fundamentally flawed with your approach. You're questioning my views, but your arguments are made from your personal premises and world-views. I fail to see the logic in that. I mean if you're questioning a paradigm, you must construct your premises from within that paradigm, otherwise it's just a philosophical play, and not a genuine search for truth.
    Regarding your comment that in the end everybody is guided by their desires in choosing their views. I completely agree, although I would add a slight nuance and say everybody is guided by their desires to some extend. I cannot deny that for me there is also a factor of personal desires which guide me. I think this is an inevitable factor every human has to deal with. However, I also think that every person has conflicting desires, and then again we have a choice in which desires we allow to take the lead. so perhaps our choices in faith are not free; and are a direct result of our previous choice in which desires to follow. I do believe so. But this still means they are nevertheless a result of a choice we can be held responsible for!

Hi TheLastKnight,
    I'll be honest, the issue of Aicha is still one that I've not heard a completely satisfactory answer to myself. And I'm still somewhat on the fence because of that. However I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is a horrible thing, and that it convinces me my faith is false. First of all there's the issue on arbitrarily fixing the border as to where lies the boundary of adulthood. Secondly there's the recognition that each individual has his personal rate of growing up and reaches puberty at a different age. Thirdly there's the issue on whether or not you can compare adulthood now, with adulthood several centuries ago. Again, I'm not saying any of these issues clear the issue. But I do think these questions put things into perspective enough, for me to remain on the fence about it.
     Reply #148 - July 25, 2010, 03:36 PM

Just because somebody has knowledge of something, doesn't make him responsible for it. I believe God created us with free will, but he knew what we'd do with our free will. Just because he knew, doesn't mean we aren't responsible. If you have children, have you never had a situation were you knew they were about to do mischief, but rather then stopping them, you let them do it and then afterwards confronted them because you realized that this way they'd learn more out of the experience?

That's fine in trivial cases but what about wars and events like the holocaust? Did God step back and let the Nazis exterminate so many Jews so that the Nazis would reap some kind of educational benefit?

And actually, yes I think there are certain instances where having knowledge of something and not doing anything about it amounts to responsibility. For example, if you could see someone attempting to rape somebody else and you stood back and watched on, letting it happen, I would morally condemn that person for not doing anything to stop the situation. And if that person was to say "I let the rape happen because then the victim would become a better person" then I wouldn't just morally condemn that person I'd say they're a sicko who needs psychiactric help.

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #149 - July 25, 2010, 04:24 PM

Abdul..  that wasnt the REASON i left,  (re:hajj)  It was one of the factors that had
    me starting to doubt Islam.  You have been most respectful, and i will reciprocate
    likewise.  Thanks for taking the time to respond Smiley

Helen Keller
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »