Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: convinced rational muslim

(Read 38879 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: convinced rational muslim
     Reply #150 - July 25, 2010, 04:31 PM

Hi Ras111,
    As for your question about verses saying that people joining partners to Allah will go to hell. I think it's important to keep in mind the context of those verses. they are general verses with a general message. There are many verses which say people doing this, or people with this characteristic will go to hell. And at the same time many verses saying that people doing that and with those characteristics will go to heaven. This begs the question, what about people who do things from both classes? What about people who have characteristics of both classes? I think the only logical interpretation of these verses is thus, that they are not meant as a tool for us to derive who will go to heaven, and who will go to hell, but that rather these verses were only meant to show which actions and characteristics should be avoided, and which are admirable.

How are they avoided if one is born in a pagan society that does not speak Arabic?  I think it's more of a case of someone not being able to make his mind up.  If it were as you say then surely this god would  have presented it in such a way that could be understood by everyone and made clear.  A way that would leave no room for doubt and different interpretation.  Many have no problems accepting the fact that people who join partners with this allah are going to hell.  An Egyptian friend of mine told me that she was taught during RE that her Coptic friends were going to hell when she was still at school.

Again remember the purpose of the Qur'an is to guide people. So verses saying "these people will go to hell" are not with the purpose of letting us know who'll end up were, but rather are meant to guide us away from a certain type of actions.

Then why did he not present them that way?  Why talk about Jews and Christians and polytheists and how they are going to be punished?  The Arabic language does allow the speaker to address and audience and tell them what they ought to do and not to do.  And we even see in this in the quran when Muslims are told to say this and that.

As for your question on the difference of a woman's testimony compared to a man's testimony. I think you're referring to the testimony on financial transactions right?

No I am referring to general testimony

Well I think that in general men as opposed to woman have a better memory for numbers. That's not to say there might be some woman with exceptionally good memory for numbers, or some men with exceptionally bad memory for numbers. But in general, I do think this is one of these biological differences between men and woman.

And yet this religious edict has proved to be a barrier for many women who were talented with numbers and wished to pursue a career involving numbers.  One would have thought that an all knowing god would be lenient in this matter as it is all down to the individual's characteristics and the genetics inherited.  

As for the issue of relationships, I think that taking the lead, and having authority are both intertwined, and that you cannot have one without the other. And again, I disagree with your argument that this implies men are superior in value in the eyes of God.

No?  Care to tell me why it is the Muslim male that is addressed?  Or why nothing is said about how a women may rebuke her husband?  Not mention the fact that a man is allowed to marry 4 wives (and more if you're the prophet) and have sex slaves when a woman is not?

In fact many verses in the Qur'an state that men and women are equal in value in the eyes of God.

Such as?

So the issue on leadership in a relation is a practical issue, and not a reflection of their respective value in the eyes of God. Also keep in mind that leadership comes hand in hand with responsibility. So it's not like men get a carte-blanche to do as they see fit.

You give responsibility to those who can handle it and are better endowed than others.  It would seem that the god of Muhammad does not have too much faith in the abilities of women other then to be housewives and baby factories.

As for your question on why the Qur'an isn't writen in such a way that it would convince everyone. I can't claim to know the motives of GOd, but my best Guess would be that this would defeat the purpose of testing us.

I see so he writes in a language that few people speak, makes a lot of errors in it and expects us to still believe, in spite of all the contradictions that this word is true.  Not to mention the fact that he allegedly already knows who passed and who failed (remember you think he is all knowing).   Is that logical according to you?  There are people who say that the fossils were placed by god to test people.. your argument sounds quite similar.

Hi Ras111 & Abz,
    Since you both brought forth very similar arguments, I'll respond to both of you at once on this subject.
    Regarding the criteria for accepting things as truths. You seem to imply that accepting anything without scientific proof is irrational. So what you are saying in a way is that any faith is by itself already irrational, regardless of what the faith is. I think that's shortsighted.

But faith is supposed to be irrational.  Faith is believing without proof.  How is it short sighted?

First of all, you seem to be forgetting the subtle differences between "knowing" something and "believing"

It depends what you mean by that.  It depends whether you can back up what you 'know' with concrete evidence to show why it is so.

Do you know that the quran is the word of allah or do you believe that it is the word of allah,  what terms do you use?

something. Secondly, not everything which is true can also be proven,

Then we cannot say that it is true for certain can we?  Does that justify believing anything we believe to be true?

However I still consider it rational to accept some things trough these methods from a pragmatists point of view.

By what method?  Do you have a mechanism or a way of sorting the chaff from the wheat?  You said it yourself that they are uncertain methods, so how can you justify it rationally.  There is no room for uncertainty in rationality.  You clearly are not being rational here at all.

As I said, some things are simply beyond the scope of science, so I don't think we should limit ourself to accepting only those things which can be proven by science.

And where does the accepting stop then?  

Hi Ras111 and Olweasel,
    You both asked me a similar questions about the apparent contradiction between predestination and free will. So basically how God can be just, if he already knows who will go to hell and who will go to heaven. I think your problem with this is, that you think if God knows in advance, that means he's responsible, right?

If you can prevent a crime and you don't that also makes you responsible and yes, the person does not have free will and that means he cannot change and to cap it all will be tortured for eternity

Well I strongly disagree and consider that a slippery slope deduction. Just because somebody has knowledge of something, doesn't make him responsible for it.

Yes?  Try bring up that one in court if you are charged of willfully allowing a murder to happen when you knew in advance what was to happen.

I believe God created us with free will, but he knew what we'd do with our free will.

So in reality it is not free will, it is destiny.  Otherwise it is free will and he does not know our choices and its therefore not all knowing.  Which one is it?

Just because he knew, doesn't mean we aren't responsible.

Why?  Isn't that what god wished?  He knew before hand.  Is he not the creator and everything does according to what he wishes?  If we had control over our actions and the ability to influence our destiny then god cannot be all knowing.  If we can't then he is all knowing and responsible for setting out the script and making the rules that way.

If you have children, have you never had a situation were you knew they were about to do mischief, but rather then stopping them, you let them do it and then afterwards confronted them because you realized that this way they'd learn more out of the experience?

By condemning them to eternal suffering the way your all merciful god does?  For offenses such as joining partners with him and being born homosexual?  And then on the other hand he allows slavery and people to subjugate others?  

Were they then not responsible or accountable for their mischief despite as a parent you knew what they were planning?

You would not know what they would be doing in 10 years time and the punishment is temporary so your argument does not hold.

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #151 - July 25, 2010, 04:38 PM

Hi Prince Spinoza,
    My views on infant deaths, and hell and heaven, they are all derived from my faith, not the other way around that my faith is derived from my views on these issues. So yes, my views will obviously will be circular. I never denied that. I've chosen a paradigm because to me it seems the most logical and consistent, but in the end it is a faith and I have no proof to show for it.

There must still be something that has made you believe Islam is the true religion, I'd like to know what that is.

Regarding your comment that in the end everybody is guided by their desires in choosing their views. I completely agree, although I would add a slight nuance and say everybody is guided by their desires to some extend. I cannot deny that for me there is also a factor of personal desires which guide me. I think this is an inevitable factor every human has to deal with. However, I also think that every person has conflicting desires, and then again we have a choice in which desires we allow to take the lead. so perhaps our choices in faith are not free; and are a direct result of our previous choice in which desires to follow. I do believe so. But this still means they are nevertheless a result of a choice we can be held responsible for!

When there are conflicting desires, the stronger desire wins out. "We have a choice" is another way of saying "I can't see how this act occurred by natural means, therefore I did it out of free will." See the neuroscientific experiments done with regards to free will, they are pretty conclusive, the "I consciously chose to do it" feeling is just an illusion.
     Reply #152 - July 25, 2010, 05:30 PM

This is an intro thread, so explaining yourself should be your concern.

All those debates then come after, or they already exist on other threads. That's part of the reason I haven't debated you on anything here (as the thread just becomes a rerun of every other thread, but jumbled together and hard to follow).

Please use this opertunity to elaberate, I would be very interested to know exactly what you mean, and how you came to such conclusions first, as otherwise its just chasing a black goose at night.

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #153 - July 25, 2010, 06:19 PM

That MRasheed thread set a bad precedent!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #154 - July 25, 2010, 08:21 PM

hypocrucifier- the dawagandists lead me to believe islam was all those things
    i valued.  I agreed with his stance that kaffirs shouldnt be killed LOL. I did NOT
    agree with him RE: folks he entertains on his forum. 

yes.  NOW i do re:  my ideals, are based on one's own personal nature, vs. having
    it being dictated to.  That was another GREAT disappointment for me, that characteristics
    I hold "sacred" if you will, that koranic bribery was used as incentive.

Consider that as a 'GREAT ESCAPE'. Congratulations!Hopefully, once bitten twice shy. Please 'immunize' your mind against debates like these so that you don't do anything drastic  and then regret later. Ultimately what matters the most is your direct experience of life, and not what, some loonies who reference some crazy books from the medieval age, tell you. Direct experience is natural and spontaneous and can be very joyful, if you are willing to learn from it and change the way you react to it. You have got to accept bad things will happen in your life whether you want them or not.They are essential, as without them there won't be good things! They need each other for definition, just as you can't have black without white.
    The trick is not to let either of them make you go overboard with your reactions to them.

The most important thing is to have concrete goals in life and to work relentlessly towards achieving them.Come to think of it if you have to keep running to the dubious 'man in the sky' every time you have a problem there won't be any joy in your achievements.

hypocrucifier, unfortunately its true.  (re: americans and personal exprience)
    it happened to me too.  However, my motive was a last ditch effort to believe
    in the big sky daddy.   The dawagandists that target Americans are thorough
    in their rhetoric to make it really appealing, too.

Misdirection is a very vital tool in the magicians repertoire. Go through the MRasheed thread and this one very carefully and see what I mean. Now that you know the 'man in the sky' is a work of fiction,hopefully you should concentrate on getting on with your life in peace!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Reply #155 - July 25, 2010, 10:34 PM

Thank you very much, Hypo for sharing and encouraging   Smiley
    Still a bit thin skinned on some issues (really, this is the first
    time I have interacted or even discussed Islam since i left)
    But thanks to everyone's patience, I am getting there.  Still
    dealing with the anger of it all, and the occasional cognitive
    distortion Shocked ... again, thank you.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #156 - July 25, 2010, 10:42 PM

Do we know yet how the guy chose Islam "rationally", or is the thread still "To be continued..."?
     Reply #157 - July 25, 2010, 10:56 PM

abood.. i asked him if his decision was in any way emotional, and he responded
    "yes".  i think he'll be back, just prolly inundated (aziz   grin12)  or busy.  He came
    back today

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #158 - July 26, 2010, 07:06 AM

Do we know yet how the guy chose Islam "rationally", or is the thread still "To be continued..."?

Ya, that's kind of why I kept asking to elaborate, because he said it was due to:

"- personal experiences
    - logical consistency of Islam
    - compatibility with science
    - psychological depth of the Qur'an

But none of these are givens, and I dont know what he means by them. How is it logically consistent or what is its compatibility with science?
    What personal experiences? How does the quran have psychological depth, or what is even meant by that?

anyone can say it, but its not really an argument, its just obvious.
    I mean, Nobody is going to say, "Oh, I converted to so and so religion because it was bat shit crazy nonsense" or claim to be an "irrational muslim". 

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #159 - July 26, 2010, 08:44 AM

I think we have to be patient; he's leaving an element of suspense. God is doing the same thing. One day they will both drop a bombshell proving how Islam is consistent with reason and we will be shown the falsehood of our ways. Subhanallah.
     Reply #160 - July 26, 2010, 08:47 AM

I think we have to be patient; he's leaving an element of suspense. God is doing the same thing. One day they will both drop a bombshell proving how Islam is consistent with reason and we will be shown the falsehood of our ways. Subhanallah.

I'm sorry, every time now I hear someone say Subhanallah, I think of SubHannaMontana....Which one of you came up with that again?
     Cheesy

Reply #161 - July 26, 2010, 08:52 AM

Me!!  dance

I also made Mashawarma but nobody is using it  Cry

Maybe Marshamellow is better?
     Reply #162 - July 26, 2010, 08:57 AM

Maybe it should be M*A*S*H-Allah.
     Reply #163 - July 26, 2010, 10:07 AM

Abdul-Fattah is a slippery slope fallacy.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #164 - July 26, 2010, 10:08 AM

Cheesy
     Reply #165 - July 26, 2010, 10:30 AM

OK... someone's gonna have to explain that to me
     Reply #166 - July 26, 2010, 10:38 AM

He calls everything a "slippery slope fallacy", evidently he doesn't know what it means.  If you say there is no evidence for something, he will say that statement is a slippery slope fallacy.

For example take a look at this thread...
    http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/quran-hadith-prophet-muhammad/scientific-miracles-quran-video-cemb-2410

Search for "slippery slope" and see how many times he uses it across the 3 pages.  Then I saw he had posted on here, so I looked at his latest post and guess what?  Something is a slippery slope fallacy Cheesy

Reply #167 - July 26, 2010, 10:38 AM

Cheesy
     Reply #168 - July 26, 2010, 10:43 AM

I'm reading his response in that thread. Is that guy serious? wacko
     Reply #169 - July 26, 2010, 10:51 AM

Not only is he serious but he actually believes he is making a solid argument.  What is even more bizarre is that people read it and then thank him and pray that he receives a bigger reward in the after-life.

Reply #170 - July 26, 2010, 10:57 AM

TR..  you should have simply shown him this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vPdB6QbVZo

As apparently he believes in that mountain stopping the ground from shaking bullshit.

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #171 - July 26, 2010, 11:03 AM

The report he quotes says that in a mountain range the mountains reduce the amount of shaking by up to 50%.  My observations were

1: Mountains don't form on parallel moving fault lines.
    2: The reduction is only UP TO 50%.
    3: The reduction only occurs in SOME PARTS of the mountain range.

In short a piss poor way of "stopping" the Earth from shaking seeing as it does no such thing, and even the reduction is selective, partial, and ineffective.  Why not just make the universe so that there were no Earthquakes rather than making them occur and then slap on a botch job work-around fix that doesn't work properly?

Reply #172 - July 26, 2010, 11:25 AM

He calls everything a "slippery slope fallacy", evidently he doesn't know what it means.  If you say there is no evidence for something, he will say that statement is a slippery slope fallacy.

For example take a look at this thread...
    http://www.islamic-life.com/forums/quran-hadith-prophet-muhammad/scientific-miracles-quran-video-cemb-2410

Search for "slippery slope" and see how many times he uses it across the 3 pages.  Then I saw he had posted on here, so I looked at his latest post and guess what?  Something is a slippery slope fallacy Cheesy

Rationalizer
    POINT 3
    Which begs the question, if this creator wanted to prevent earthquakes then why create earthquakes in the first place?

Lol, yeah. What a retarded verse. It also strikes me as odd that the being who controls the very laws of physics can only think of using mountains to keep the earth steady, rather than just miracleing it steady. Duh!
     Reply #173 - July 26, 2010, 12:41 PM

Probably he wants  to take us higher and higher up the slope of ridiculousness and then expect us to suddenly slip and fall on our heads and hope that fall will make us think like him. [He must have had a serious fall at work before his conversion]. That is the real slippery slope fallacy here!

Thomas Paine

Reply #174 - July 26, 2010, 12:44 PM

Grin
     Reply #175 - July 26, 2010, 01:02 PM

This guy has demonstrated how someone can be rationally irrational.

Thomas Paine

Reply #176 - July 26, 2010, 01:39 PM

Not only is he serious but he actually believes he is making a solid argument.  What is even more bizarre is that people read it and then thank him and pray that he receives a bigger reward in the after-life.

while i realized that was meant as a "compliment" or whatever, i didn't want to spend
    eternity in Mo's paradise LOL  i never knew what to say, it certainly wasn't "shukran"
    lolol

Helen Keller
     Reply #177 - July 26, 2010, 04:53 PM

Hi Olweasel,l
    On the reason I think faith can be simultaneously strong and logical, and why I think those two reinforce each other. Well I can't speak for other people, but for me personally, being raised in a Catholic environment I have a strong resentment against mysticism and the way it tries to shortcut criticism and bypass logic.

Catholicism is mysticism, but Islam is not?

If anything, Islam revolves around very much the same mythos, spare the trinity and the pope.

Islam and Catholicism both feature an omnipotent personal god, and more significantly, are among the only belief systems that incorporate belief in the threat of eternal damnation.

But the major difference is, that Islam in addition, preaches the silencing of critics to this very day.

You won't get any death threats for mocking Catholicism.

Also, the theodicies of St. Aquinas in regards to philosophical dilemmas are more satisfying than what you or any Islamic scholars have offered. More satisfying, but still flawed circular reasoning.

Therefor to me, the more logical a faith is, the easier it is to accept and the stronger my faith becomes.

From there you'd have to show how Islam is logical.

All your responses were defending your own personal faith in it, or begged the question, but didn't prove that Islam as an ideology is logical. 

Likewise, the stronger my personal faith is, the easier it is to think from within the faith-paradigm, and the easier it is to see the logical consistencies.

No.

The stronger your faith is, the more difficult it will be to see logical inconsistencies.

When I said that I'm fully aware that my views are circular, you asked me then how I affirm the "correctness" of my faith.

How do you consider your beliefs to be circular reasoning and then say they are logically consistent?

Well I think you might have misinterpreted my position. In my initial post, when stating that I consider my faith to be perfectly rational; I did not intend to mean by that, that my views are undeniable truths and everyone who opposes them must be false.

You sounded absolutely certain to me. But if that's what you say you intended, then I'll take your word.

But doesn't believing in Islam also mean believing all else is wrong?

What does the first creed of Islam say? You can't get any more clear than that.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #178 - July 26, 2010, 05:39 PM

Hi, I'm sorry guys but it's just to much.
    As you might have seen form the frequency of my posts I don't have that much time to spend on the forum, and there's just to many people bringing to many arguments to respond to them all. I did started a new topic in science and reason with one of the most recurring arguments, the issue of free will and fate. 

@ Jinn and tonic,
    I'm impressed, If I read correctly you went from thinking I'm a troll to respecting me.That you can change your opinion like that is really admirable.

@ Homer,
    Sorry for not being able to answer your question. I did get the impression you were among the most sincere members, it's just that I could go on for ages explaining these things I briefly mentioned. In fact I do on my website. And I know if I do that here that's just going to create an avalanche of responses, and I'm not sure if I'm really up to that.

@ Prince Spinoza
    Do you have any reference I could read about your claim on neuroscience eliminating the possibility of free will? I was under the impression that there was no conclusiveness once-soever on this issue. But then again I admit this is something where I know only little about.
     Reply #179 - July 26, 2010, 05:47 PM

It's not perfectly conclusive, but it's very interesting, these are pretty new experiments and no doubt things will get clearer soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »