Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Arabic Sub-Forum?

(Read 52975 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Arabic Sub-Forum?
     Reply #30 - July 19, 2010, 08:20 AM

Cheesy

Very distasteful, ras. Very distasteful. Cheesy

True, sorry IA, nothing personal or anything..  was only intended as a joke

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #31 - July 19, 2010, 08:21 AM

I understand OS, but it does seriously detract from the forum (I'm talking the Arabic sub-forum)
     Reply #32 - July 19, 2010, 08:22 AM

Can give them to RIBS and IA too.

Yes definitely - please!
     Reply #33 - July 19, 2010, 08:25 AM

Just dicking around with you.. nothing serious.  I suddenly had this image of you being a really harsh, no nonsense mod and it gave me an idea..

Cheesy I see. Alright then first rule of the forum: the Mods must be ex-Sunnis. An ex-Shia may post and discuss with ex-Sunnis but he cannot mention Ashura   Wink

True, sorry IA, nothing personal or anything..  was only intended as a joke

No problem. No offense taken.
     Reply #34 - July 19, 2010, 08:26 AM

I understand OS, but it does seriously detract from the forum (I'm talking the Arabic sub-forum)

The thing is that this software has full support for RTL languages but it is based on the assumption that you wont want to be using RTL in one board and LTR in another. To get that to work requires screwing around with the guts of it to make it something it isn't. It's possible, but it's sure not a ten minute job.

I can take a look at basic things like rtl.css though, and I can load Arabic files as well. That should mean that it's cool in English and cool in Arabic if you select either language in your profile options, but that's about the best we can do for the moment.

ETA: Note that changing profile options is pretty fast too. It's just load the profile page, click the setting and save. So if you are doing a debate in Arabic you'll be able to switch back to English after posting. You just wont be able to have board-specific languages for a while.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #35 - July 19, 2010, 08:27 AM

Os - how do I remove topics/threads.

(Sorry Iblis - you know I love you - and in a very Gay way too - but I want to remove your thread on that forum.)
     Reply #36 - July 19, 2010, 08:32 AM

Come to think of it that probably didn't make a bloody bit of sense.  Cheesy

What I mean is we can do it so you can switch between a full Arabic forum (like Arab Atheists with Arabic menu and all that crap) or the standard English forum.

Reply #37 - July 19, 2010, 08:35 AM

Come to think of it that probably didn't make a bloody bit of sense.  Cheesy

What I mean is we can do it so you can switch between a full Arabic forum (like Arab Atheists with Arabic menu and all that crap) or the standard English forum.

OK, well I don't understand the Tech side of it, but I do know that it is really fiddly to post stuff properly. If it can be sorted that would be great.
     Reply #38 - July 19, 2010, 08:35 AM

Os - how do I remove topics/threads.

(Sorry Iblis - you know I love you - and in a very Gay way too - but I want to remove your thread on that forum.)

Down the bottom underneath where it says Previous page 1,2,3 and all that is a menu strip. Look for "Move Topic". It's the first one. If you click that it will give you another page which has a drop down that lets you pick the board you want to move things to. Just dump the crap threads in the Rant Arena. Have a go. Can't do any real damage. Smiley

Reply #39 - July 19, 2010, 08:39 AM

Ok IA and RIBS have mod powerz on that board too. Tongue

Reply #40 - July 19, 2010, 08:41 AM

Please may also ask that anyone who posts on there to try and post as best they can in standard Arabic (I won't say classical) - rather than their dialect.

The Arab Atheist forum has that rule - as it helps Arabs from different places to understand each other well.

Having said that I don't think we should be too strict about that and it's fine to occasionally use dialects - but please do your best to stick to standard Arabic.

And no-one is making a list of mistakes - so please don't be put off having a go - even if your Arabic is not that good. No-one minds.

As I say they do this on the Arab Atheist forum and ppl make mistakes right left and centre - but no-one cares - we just don't want the forum to turn into a forum of local Arab dialects.

Smiley
     Reply #41 - July 19, 2010, 08:54 AM

Well make yourself a sticky in that board and you can put all the house rules and stuff in it. That same menu strip down the bottom should let you remove, lock, sticky and merge topics too.

If you guys want to make some practice threads anytime and mess around with the functions go for it. It's all pretty easy really:)

Reply #42 - July 19, 2010, 09:35 AM

Ok peeps, for those who want to guinea pig it:

1/ Select the SMF Default Theme - in the theme change thingy in the bottom block of the left column (under Recent Posts). This theme is really boring. It's so boring Hass likes it.  dance

However it does come standard with CSS for supporting RTL languages (like Arabic).

Our sexy custom themes don't come with rtl.css, which means some wally (ie: me) is going to have to write it. That aint happening overnight. Tongue

Anyway you can change back from the boring one to whatever you like anytime, but just remember the sexy ones will probably look pretty messed up if Arabic is selected in your profile.

2/ Go to Profile > Account Related Settings > Preferred Language: and choose whichever one you want to use. You'll have to enter your password to save the change which is a PITA. Should be able to change that fairly easily so passwords aren't needed, but until some recoding is done that's the best we can do.

Try it out and see what happens. Be warned that if you try this without being able to read Arabic it may do your head in.  parrot

Reply #43 - July 19, 2010, 10:03 AM

OK I have started a: "Forum Rules" thread that we can add to as we go along. Smiley
     Reply #44 - July 19, 2010, 11:51 AM

@Os
    I noticed yesterday, while creating the Arabic sub-forum, that we can set a fixed theme for it.
    I made a simple experiment yesterday on my end, I just changed the direction of the whole HTML document to RTL, by inserting dir="rtl" as an attribute into the <html> tag. Afaics, everything got mirrored without a problem thanks to the table layout.

So I'd suggest to copy a theme and make this little change. Then the only remaining problem would be the language of the forum text...

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #45 - July 19, 2010, 12:03 PM

Well that's worth a try for sure. The forum text should be taken care of by the profile settings for language but that enabled appears to be bringing in another bug.

However, I just had a cunning idea.  dance

What I can do is copy the arabic files to the languages folder and rename them for this reset theme. That way we wouldn't have the user-selectable language enabled and could ditch the extra files out of our default/languages folder. As far as the software was concerned the whole forum would be running just on English with no selection options, but we'd have our RTL theme pulling arabic language strings from the "english" files.

That might work.  yes

Reply #46 - July 19, 2010, 12:13 PM

I'll show you a simple example of the problem.

If I write "Hi Naerys how are you?"

it is

اهلا نيرس كيف حالك

But if I want to use her actual nick instead of a transliteration it comes out like this:

اهلا Naerys كيف حالك

As you can see it has mixed up the sentence.

Problems like this also occur when using numbers or quotation marks etc...

Reply #47 - July 19, 2010, 12:16 PM

Yes but which language do you have selected when you are doing this?

Reply #48 - July 19, 2010, 12:18 PM

That's "normal", because the main direction of the document is LTR... That's why a fixed theme which is RTL needs to be set.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #49 - July 19, 2010, 12:20 PM

Hassan, can I suggest that you transliterate the titles of the threads in the Arabic forum? That seems to be a better solution for the moment. Using Arabic text will unfortunately not be possible with the current software...

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #50 - July 19, 2010, 12:20 PM

Ok so I'll look at knocking up such a theme then.  Wink

The only thing that might screw it up then is if everthing is set to RTL and you want to type in "Naerys" it could come out as "syreaN".  grin12

Reply #51 - July 19, 2010, 12:25 PM

Nope, it won't. Because they are LTR characters, and when they are together they build a "LTR text run". See bidi-algorithm. grin12

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #52 - July 19, 2010, 12:27 PM

Another suggestion, Hassan: When you have the time, translate the preface of your book and post it in the Arabic forum. I did it for Turkish and posted it on a popular atheist Turkish forum. Wink

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #53 - July 19, 2010, 12:30 PM

Nope, it won't. Because they are LTR characters, and when they are together they build a "LTR text run". See bidi-algorithm. grin12

Ok awesome. I can sort this bugger no worries then.  Afro

I'll make a copy of our site default with the bogus languages folder and the rtl trickery up in html and see how it goes.

Reply #54 - July 19, 2010, 12:30 PM

And regarding the issue with Arabic titles:

@RIBS
    When typing the title why this:
    أخطاء لغوية في القرآن

Becomes this:
    أخطاء لغ&#1608

Have no idea... finmad

That's because I installed a little hack into the forum to allow for writing any character in any language (called Unicode.) The problem you're complaining about is an unfortunate downside of this hack.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #55 - July 19, 2010, 12:32 PM

That's a nasty bug. Any way around it?

Reply #56 - July 19, 2010, 12:44 PM

No, not really. There's a character limit for titles, and as you know Unicode characters have to be converted to something like this: &#1234;
    Migrating to SMF 2.0 would solve this problem completely.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #57 - July 19, 2010, 12:50 PM

Why would 2.0 solve it?

ETA: Oh and we can change the character limit for titles easily enough.

Reply #58 - July 19, 2010, 12:58 PM

Because it supports Unicode by default?

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #59 - July 19, 2010, 12:59 PM

No it doesn't. Unicode support for 2.0 is no different to for 1.1.x. 

• Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »