Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Arabic Sub-Forum?

(Read 53061 times)
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Arabic Sub-Forum?
     OP - July 18, 2010, 07:05 PM

Why not have an Arabic Language sub-forum for those who want to discuss in Arabic. (The chap who recently wanted to discuss with me prefers to discuss in Arabic and the Arab Atheists Forum doesn't provide a good place for one-to-one discussions.)

I know it would not be frequented too often now - but could grow and attract others.

What do you thinK?
  • Re: Arabic Sub-Forum?
     Reply #1 - July 18, 2010, 07:12 PM

Sounds like a good idea.  It should just be a quick admin job, methinks.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #2 - July 18, 2010, 07:16 PM

Sounds good. Who's gonna moderate it? grin12

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #3 - July 18, 2010, 07:17 PM

Yeah I think it would be a good idea. Could encourage quite a few people to come in and have a look, especially if they feel more comfortable conversing in their preferred language.

Reply #4 - July 18, 2010, 07:18 PM

..and who's gonna help Hassan in the debate?  grin12

I can help out, but I'll have to use... errmm ... Google Translate.. alot... whistling2

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #5 - July 18, 2010, 07:21 PM

Hmm... well I am reluctant to take on any job that commits me to being around as I like to come and go as I please and don't want any responsibilities lol.

But certainly in the early stages I could do it as I'm sure it wouldn't be busy.

Maybe IA or others might be willing to keep an eye on it also?

Shouldn't be too much trouble really.
     Reply #6 - July 18, 2010, 07:30 PM

Well, I think we shouldn't need a mod in the beginning. If somebody is posting offensive crap you guys can report it to us...

So what should the sub-forum be named?

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #7 - July 18, 2010, 07:34 PM

Arabic Discussion Forum? (منتدى المناقشات باللغة العربية)

Can you make go from right to left?
     Reply #8 - July 18, 2010, 07:36 PM

Ah yes, that's gonna be difficult... Would need some modifications to the forum software.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #9 - July 18, 2010, 10:17 PM

Can you make go from right to left?

That's a nice-to-have feature, but not essential.  Users can click 'right-align' on all their text.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #10 - July 18, 2010, 10:44 PM

Why not have an Arabic Language sub-forum for those who want to discuss in Arabic. (The chap who recently wanted to discuss with me prefers to discuss in Arabic and the Arab Atheists Forum doesn't provide a good place for one-to-one discussions.)

I know it would not be frequented too often now - but could grow and attract others.

What do you thinK?

What a brilliant idea. We can post the book you are translating in there!

Reply #11 - July 18, 2010, 10:46 PM

That's a nice-to-have feature, but not essential.  Users can click 'right-align' on all their text.

I think we need that feature if possible.
     Reply #12 - July 18, 2010, 11:19 PM

Ah yes, that's gonna be difficult... Would need some modifications to the forum software.

No it doesn't require modification at all. It just requires loading Arabic language files and enabling user-selectable languages support. It's a standard feature. I've done enough testing with it because I've had to do debugging for SMF 2.0 in RTL and I use Arabic as the test language.

(and I can tell you that debugging IE6 in Arabic when you don't read Arabic is highly amusing)

The whole software is set up to fully support either LTR or RTL languages. The only changes needed would be some additional RTL CSS for our custom themes, but I can sort that as all theming I do from now on is going to have RTL support anyway. However, I would prefer to not have to go back and debug RTL CSS for our current themes as we will be ditching them in the not too distant future when the site gets upgraded to 2.0. I would prefer to just do the 2.0 versions with RTL support.

The SMF default theme should be fine on RTL languages though even if it is a bit boring.

Anyway I'm fine with this sub-forum idea as long as we have some trusted members moderating it, or at least keeping an eye on it and reporting anything dodgey (with a translation, obviously).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #13 - July 18, 2010, 11:28 PM

I was thinking about switching to RTL on threads that are in Arabic (but that's actually not feasible, or at least not very easy.)
    I don't think users here would like to manually switch from English to Arabic all the time...

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #14 - July 18, 2010, 11:37 PM

Hmm, I was thinking more of people who are predominantly Arabic speaking using Arabic as their default language with anyone who mainly used English only switching to Arabic for debates. I can see your point though if this turns into a true multilingual site.

This interesting actually and I can see it being useful for quite a few sites worldwide. I am prepared to seriously look into this as an SMF mod for 2.0 but not for 1.1.x as I don't think it's worth putting any more time and effort into 1.1.x coding. I can see (conceptually) how it could be done. Can't see any great performance problems offhand as it should only require a few more IF's in php and some suitable CSS on call.

Reply #15 - July 18, 2010, 11:37 PM

Anyway I'm fine with this sub-forum idea as long as we have some trusted members moderating it, or at least keeping an eye on it and reporting anything dodgey (with a translation, obviously).

Me, IA, and RIBS... perhaps Infidel, Kod and Truth could hep when they're online - + others.
     Reply #16 - July 18, 2010, 11:39 PM

Yup. Fine with me.

Reply #17 - July 18, 2010, 11:57 PM

Here you go:
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?board=41.0

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #18 - July 19, 2010, 12:06 AM

Ooohhh, that's cool. I can imagine my mom's surprise when I sudden get better at reading Arabic...  grin12
     Reply #19 - July 19, 2010, 12:11 AM

Spammed.  dance

Reply #20 - July 19, 2010, 12:11 AM

زغرتى يا ام محمد

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #21 - July 19, 2010, 12:22 AM

Yeah wot he sed. Tongue

Reply #22 - July 19, 2010, 06:13 AM

Me.  Smiley
     Reply #23 - July 19, 2010, 06:25 AM

Me, IA, and RIBS... perhaps Infidel, Kod and Truth could hep when they're online - + others.

Yeah, I can report anything dodgey, or report bad trolling posts, but not sure if I can be moderator, as I might not be online as frequently as a mod should be.

Reply #24 - July 19, 2010, 08:02 AM

Thanks Aziz, just took a look at the Arabic sub-forum  Afro

I posted some info about CEMB (bits from the manifesto) and a couple of posts (one about the needy God I posted here in English and one with a quote from "My Ordeal" book).

But a couple of things.

1. I don't want to officially be a Mod. I'm happy to keep an eye when I can but don't want that responsibility. (Besides I will be without an internet connection in 4 days - moving house.)

2. The forum doesn't work like an Arabic forum - I mean it doesn't go from right to left and just aligning right doesn't solve the problems - it gets all weird when trying to use quotations and numbers and other characters.

3. The title of threads won't post in Arabic properly - the words get cut off or messed up. (So I gave up and posted titles in English.)

Any way of sorting these things?

EDIT - and one more thing - I think it should be STRICTLY Arabic only and all posts in English deleted.
     Reply #25 - July 19, 2010, 08:10 AM

Me.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7goShS90Kdc&feature=related

Wink

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #26 - July 19, 2010, 08:14 AM

WTF !!!11??  Huh?
     Reply #27 - July 19, 2010, 08:14 AM

Cheesy

Very distasteful, ras. Very distasteful. Cheesy
     Reply #28 - July 19, 2010, 08:17 AM

WTF !!!11??  Huh?

Just dicking around with you.. nothing serious.  I suddenly had this image of you being a really harsh, no nonsense mod and it gave me an idea..

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #29 - July 19, 2010, 08:17 AM

Hass, we aren't going to get into massive coding stuff for this at the moment. This site would need a fair bit of work to get it functioning flawlessly the way you want it because a lot of code would need modifying. I can fix some of it fairly fast but the rest will have to wait until after we upgrade, because I don't have time to do it all twice.

And you have modration powers on that boar so delete stuff. Tongue

You only have mod powers in the Arabic board. Don't have to worry about the rest of the forum. Can give them to RIBS and IA too. No pressure. Just keep an eye on it when you can.

• 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »