Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Faith Schools

(Read 4878 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Faith Schools
     OP - July 17, 2010, 01:52 PM

Here's a circular from the BHA about the governments  new Acadamies Bill . If you don't want your kids studying Harun Yahyah for their gcse's , best drop your MP a line -

TAKE ACTION! ACADEMIES BILL!
    Dear Central London Humanist or supporter,

The Academies Bill, which will radically reshape the schools system, enters the Commons next week. This is the first time MPs will have the chance to scrutinize the Bill in detail.
    Your help is needed to ensure that serious concerns related to ‘faith schools’ are addressed by the Government.
     Take Action Now- email your MP.

The Academies Bill is a massive de-regulation of public education which could significantly increase the power and influence of religious groups in our schools. It risks permanently entrenching religious segregation in our education system through irreversible changes which will permit wide discrimination in admissions and employment.

By “freeing” religious Academies from the national curriculum the Bill also risks exposing children to extreme religious views, including creationism.

Please write to your MP today and ask them to raise these concerns in Parliament on your behalf.

You can use the BHA's automated email system to contact your MP right now – it will only take a couple of minutes.

Before you send your email to your MP, you’ll have the opportunity to read more on concerns about the Bill. For a more detailed analysis, please read the BHA's Parliamentary Briefing for MPs.

The Bill is being rushed through Parliament, so it’s important to act quickly. Please take action today if you can.

Thank you for your support.

If you know anyone else who may be interested in taking this action, please feel free to forward this email to them!

Thank you!

ReplyReply AllMove...grievanceUnisonGo to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to Messages     Select Message EncodingASCII (ASCII)Greek (ISO-8859-7)Greek (Windows-1253)Latin-10 (ISO-8859-16)Latin-3 (ISO-8859-3)Latin-6 (ISO-8859-10)Latin-7 (ISO-8859-13)Latin-8 (ISO-8859-14)Latin-9 (ISO-8859-15)W. European (850)W. European (CP858)W. European (HPROMAN8)W. European (MACROMAN8)W. European (Windows-1252)Armenia (ARMSCII-8)Baltic Rim (ISO-8859-4)Baltic Rim (WINDOWS-1257)Cyrillic (866)Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)Cyrillic (KOI8-R)Cyrillic (KOI8-RU)Cyrillic (KOI8-T)Cyrillic (KOI8-U)Cyrillic (WINDOWS-1251)Latin-2 (852)Latin-2 (ISO-8859-2)Latin-2 (WINDOWS-1250)Turkish (ISO-8859-9)Turkish (WINDOWS-1254)Arabic (ISO-8859-6,ASMO-708)Arabic (WINDOWS-1256)Hebrew (856)Hebrew (862)Hebrew (WINDOWS-1255)Chinese Simplified (GB-2312-80)Chinese Simplified (GB18030)Chinese Simplified (HZ-GB-2312)Chinese Simplified (ISO-2022-CN)Chinese Simplified (WINDOWS-936)Chinese Trad.-Hong Kong (BIG5-HKSCS)Chinese Traditional (BIG5)Chinese Traditional (EUC-TW)Japanese (SHIFT_JIS)Japanese (EUC-JP)Japanese (ISO-2022-JP)Korean (ISO-2022-KR)Korean (EUC-KR)Thai (TIS-620-2533)Thai (WINDOWS-874)Vietnamese (TCVN-5712)Vietnamese (VISCII)Vietnamese (WINDOWS-1258)Unicode (UTF-7)Unicode (UTF-8)Unicode (UTF-16)Unicode (UTF-32)| Full Headers
  • Re: Faith Schools
     Reply #1 - July 17, 2010, 02:27 PM

Fuckin' Tories.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #2 - July 17, 2010, 02:29 PM

Eh, I'm torn on this issue.

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #3 - July 17, 2010, 03:00 PM

I've just emailed my MP pointing out what I think the problems would be if such a scenario were to be permitted.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #4 - July 18, 2010, 07:16 PM

His reply...

Quote from: MP
    Thank you for your email.

I take a different view to you about religious schools.  There are religious schools in Birmingham that are more ethnically mixed than some of the comprehensive schools.  It is important for children to mix.

Furthermore I am not aware of anything in the bill that would facilitate the teaching of creationism.  In the majority of the USA the state does not fund religious schools hence you cannot conclude that the prevelance of creationist beliefs in the USA arises from the state funding of religious schools.

To which I have just replied..

Quote from: Me
    >There are religious schools in Birmingham that are more ethnically mixed than some of the comprehensive schools

Do you think it will be true for Islamic schools? 99% (if not 100%) of students in such schools will be of the same ethnicity.  How can these children be expected to integrate properly with the rest of society if they attend a religious school and are raised in an area where most people are of the same religion and ethnic origin?

>It is important for children to mix.

Which is why the forming of religious schools should not be encouraged through government funding.  Religious schools encourage segregation.

>I am not aware of anything in the bill that would facilitate the teaching of creationism

So there will be no option for any school to avoid teaching "religiously sensitive" issues such as evolution in biology?

>In the majority of the USA the state does not fund religious schools hence you cannot conclude that the prevelance of creationist beliefs in the USA arises from the state funding of religious schools.

I didn't conclude that creationist beliefs in the USA arise from state funding of religious schools (many creationist parents home school their children.)  I merely pointed out that approximately 50% of Americans believe in something not based on observed reality, and if we allow children to be taught in religiously exclusive environments rather than secular schools we run the risk of something similar happening here in the UK.

I attended a junior school from 1980 to 1984 where they held religious (Christian) assemblies nearly every day.  It's not surprising therefore that later in life when I looked at different religions I could see how ridiculous all of them were except for Christianity.  As I now look at Christianity with an objective mind I can see its claims are no less incredible than those of any of the other religions.  My bias was induced mostly from my religious school assemblies as a child.

I think it was unacceptable that I was indoctrinated surreptitiously as a child, and I think it is unacceptable that government money will be used to continue this practise in the future.

Education should be secular as it concerns itself with the benefits of our mortal lives.  What supposedly happens after-life is the realm of religion and should not interfere with secular concerns.

Reply #5 - July 18, 2010, 07:26 PM

Good find. Thanks. Afro

If you don't want your kids studying Harun Yahyah for their gcse's , best drop your MP a line -

:facepalm: mysmilie_977

Here's a short video of the philosopher A.C. Grayling on the subject.

In 'science', children should be taught *science*.  There can be an optional subject called 'bullshit' where the religious fundies can teach their crap. whistling2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6oOLJ_zbm0

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - July 18, 2010, 07:27 PM

TheRationalizer: I think your MP in Birmingham should go and visit the Madrassa my 18 year old cousin will be in for 6 years I think. Don't know where it is exactly, but it's there.
     Reply #7 - July 18, 2010, 07:28 PM

whats the problem? Isn't this already happening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHzieKUKIw

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #8 - July 18, 2010, 08:32 PM

Has no one else taken an interest in this to find the truth?

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #9 - July 18, 2010, 09:13 PM

Another update

Quote from: MyMP
    The point about mixing is one of requiring an ethnic mix for new state funding.

>>I am not aware of anything in the bill that would facilitate the teaching of creationism

>So there will be no option for any school to avoid teaching "religiously sensitive" issues such as evolution in biology?

That, as far as I know, is the situation.

So I've just written and asked...

Quote from: Me
    So no state funding will be available to schools which only admit students of a specific religious belief?

Reply #10 - July 18, 2010, 09:13 PM

TheRationalizer: I think your MP in Birmingham should go and visit the Madrassa my 18 year old cousin will be in for 6 years I think. Don't know where it is exactly, but it's there.

Why?  What would one find if they did?

Reply #11 - July 18, 2010, 09:32 PM

Has no one else taken an interest in this to find the truth?

truth? truth? you can't handle the truth.

//sorry i've decided to drop random movie lines in my posts

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #12 - July 19, 2010, 04:39 AM

Sweet Jesus if there is anything that isn't a scientific fact it shouldnt be taught in state run schools ( except for subjective topics like art, etc) Im sorry but your imaginary beings have no place being taught with my money. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #13 - July 19, 2010, 04:54 AM

truth? truth? you can't handle the truth.

//sorry i've decided to drop random movie lines in my posts

I love the truth and can stomach it, no matter how bitter , but  am wary of hate induced delusions.
    You see I don't live in England, with so many accusations of Islamophobia floating around , it's prudent to be sceptical. I have had a chat with the author of the video BTW.
     Though the saudi lady didn't dispute the genuineness of the copy, I can't understand why the original has not been shown to the general public. Once and for all the matter could have been thrashed out.
    If a serious claim has been made and the opposite party is innocent what's stopping it from being transparent?
    She gave the standard classical response in her replies," the verse has been quoted out of context"  Cheesy and was generally evasive.
    This was a great opportunity to burst Kristiane Baker's balloon and make her see '' her beautiful religion" in action Saudi style. But looks like it will be wasted as he claims helplessness due to UK government's PC.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #14 - July 19, 2010, 12:21 PM

Quote from: MyMP
    it would be wrong to make the assumption that non-muslims would not want to go to an Islamic school.

Obviously he is wrong, I really cannot imagine any non-Muslims wanting to send their children to Islamic schools.  Does anyone here have access to the curriculum for a UK based Islamic school?  I would like to forward it to my MP.

Reply #15 - July 19, 2010, 12:50 PM

Here is a link to a PDF document created by the British Humanist Association on the subject.

Reply #16 - July 19, 2010, 10:56 PM

Obviously he is wrong, I really cannot imagine any non-Muslims wanting to send their children to Islamic schools.  Does anyone here have access to the curriculum for a UK based Islamic school?  I would like to forward it to my MP.

I wrote a blog piece a few months ago before joining this forum about teenage girls having to wear the niqab (during journeys to and from school) as part of the school uniform.
    See this school in East London for example: http://www.madani-school.co.uk/schoolpolicy.php?on=poli&sub=uni

These schools are quite traditionalist, but there are other Muslim schools which are a bit more progressive, like this one: http://home.btconnect.com/lia/PrimaryCurriculum.html

But if you read the 'mission statement' there, you will be under no illusions that the school is primarily there to preserve the cult religion.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #17 - July 20, 2010, 09:59 PM

Eh, I'm torn on this issue.

perhaps reading thiss will help

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jul/20/education-academies-bill-gove

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #18 - July 20, 2010, 11:34 PM

Dont Pray In My School And I Wont Think In Your Mosque , Church , CHapel , VIP Scientology Suite

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »