Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: So...here it goes....I'm abz from Oz...how ya goin'?

(Read 23282 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: So...here it goes....I'm abz from Oz...how ya goin'?
     Reply #60 - July 16, 2010, 12:24 PM

Whats that?

Its a type of plant that is grown especially in EA and is chewed and has been used for a long time by Somalis and is a common pastime for men especially. Pre dates caffine and is seen by the US as a 'drug' and illegal in many other countries.
    It can give a form of buzz.

It is very nice, I had some last night but it drys out your throat

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #61 - July 16, 2010, 12:26 PM

I heard about Khat but never tried it....:(

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #62 - July 16, 2010, 12:27 PM

has been used for a long time by Somalis

Yemenis too. My Yemeni ex's family gave me some to chew - I secretly spat it out - it gave me a headache!
     Reply #63 - July 16, 2010, 12:29 PM

I heard about Khat but never tried it....:(

Out of all the drugs to try, I'd recommend it. Its not very harmful at all and risks are low

I'd give you some but I don't share mine  Wink

Reply #64 - July 16, 2010, 12:32 PM

come on Meridith, sharing is fun :(...

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #65 - July 16, 2010, 12:32 PM

And here I was thinking that chewing qat meant eating pussy. Oh well.  whistling2

Its not very harmful at all and risks are low

Meh. Sounds boring.  bunny

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #66 - July 16, 2010, 12:36 PM

And here I was thinking that chewing qat meant eating pussy. Oh well.  whistling2
    Meh. Sounds boring.  bunny

LOL
    Get your mind out of the gutter!
    Although sex is integral in Somalia as well Tongue

Better that than a drug which makes you deluded or ill. I can get my high in a legal and safe way in UK  Afro

Reply #67 - July 16, 2010, 12:38 PM

Out of all the drugs to try, I'd recommend it. Its not very harmful at all and risks are low

I'd give you some but I don't share mine  Wink

Where can I get hold of some?  Why is it illegal in the US?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #68 - July 16, 2010, 12:39 PM

Yemenis too. My Yemeni ex's family gave me some to chew - I secretly spat it out - it gave me a headache!

Really? Hm, you must just not be used to it.
    The only thing that really annoys me is when your jaw hurts but that is a consequence of chewing for hours

Reply #69 - July 16, 2010, 12:44 PM

Where can I get hold of some?  Why is it illegal in the US?

US is crazy like that, I don't pretend to understand the mind of the US Government but I suppose it falls into their 'war on drugs' plan. As the plants have stimulants which some compare to cannabis.
    Get a Somali or Yemeni friend to get it for you. I'd wager they have someone in their family who either uses or sells.
    But if not, Edgware road in London does sell it in some shops but you'd need to bring someone along or they'd sell you crap

come on Meridith, sharing is fun :(...

Lies lol.
    But if I ever meet anyone on here, I'll bring some with me for everyone to try

Reply #70 - July 16, 2010, 12:54 PM

Quote from: Meredith
    I like Ethiopia but it was amusing visiting as people assumed you were from the South and then had a wary look on their face until you corrected them

I don't get that either. Even In Djibouti, if you're somali and don't speak french everyone would assume you're Hawiye Cheesy then they ask you for your sub-clan, then your family tree and on and it goes. To be honest, I've got nothing against the qabil system per se - it was always a support system and safety net for people and a community where you could belong. I just hate when it's politicized and used as a weapon against others - I think the proof is in the pudding on that one.

I thought you may be Isaaq...but didn't really wanna ask, some ppl are sensistive about that stuff and conversations turn ugly when qabil is brought up. Smiley I'm more familar with Issa's & Darod sub-clans than southeners anyway. In the end I hope all of us horners would unite - ethnic groups stretch out right across these fake Euro-drawn borders. Afro

The religous conflict in Somalia is a relatively new and dangerous development, but I could sort of see this coming for a while now. Many young people would travel to Madina rather than Azhar for their 'education' to come back to their mosques with new 'improved' understanding of the religion and quietly introduced their influence on their families in terms of culture, music, dress, etc.

They took their time in entering politics but now they've managed to insert themselves quite well. What they've done is proposed a system of 'unity' under Islam as a substitute for clan-identity politics & warfare. I don't envy those that had to make the decision btw fighting a never-ending war for their clan and 'fighting for allah'. Needless to say, but I hope a peaceful, secular, unifying force comes to prominance in Somalia some day.

Somaliland needs support and I'm happy to see Ethiopia maintain full diplomatic ties and I wish more would follow - I think Israel has considered it as well.

Al-shabab I think has little prospects for the future. Most of Somalia, as with most east african muslims, are what would be considered 'Sufi' and hold quite alot of animist/ancestral traditions that are native to the area.  

I'm with you on the 'somalis don't like being told what to do' bit as well Afro Imagine that...Shabab telling hooyo's what colour dir'ii to wear and not to wear bright colours, as well as ordering them not to participate in selling things in public marketplaces? Cheesy Somalis are resilliant but need the world to support the effort against Shabab.

I hope the recent bombing in Uganda (during WC final) doesn't deter more African states from contributing more to this effort.

Reply #71 - July 16, 2010, 12:56 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #72 - July 16, 2010, 01:00 PM

It is very nice, I had some last night but it drys out your throat

That's why you have a tea thermos handy. Smiley

A great social lubricant, completely frees you from the realities of time and space. Smiley

No shit...Djibouti's productivity would be at least double what it is now if it weren't for that stuff. Cheesy They considered banning the chewing of it during business hours but to no avail. Smiley
     Reply #73 - July 16, 2010, 01:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40DbV8K8hiA

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #74 - July 16, 2010, 01:04 PM

Yes I know what it is Islame. I was joking about the eating pussy. Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #75 - July 16, 2010, 01:11 PM

Punani is an Haitian fruit.
     Reply #76 - July 16, 2010, 01:14 PM

I thought you may be Isaaq...but didn't really wanna ask, some ppl are sensistive about that stuff and conversations turn ugly when qabil is brought up. Smiley

LOL.
    ‘Sensitive’ is the understatement of the century when qabils are discussed by Somalis.  I have witnessed fights start over less than that.
    That is interesting but unity seems unlikely, despite the ethnic and cultural cohesion of Somalis. We are more divided than ever then throw in Horn of Africa in general.

Somaliland needs support and I'm happy to see Ethiopia maintain full diplomatic ties and I wish more would follow - I think Israel has considered it as well.

Egypt prevents Somaliland being recognised, I hate Egypts policy on EA. But judging by its own record in ME and Africa can’t say I’m shocked it is so hypocritical and idiotic. Like Landers care if Ethiopia gets access to the Nile.
    Arab Govts. In general I dislike when it comes to East Africa policy. I do not see why I should care if Israel gets a military base in Somaliland
    But I agree with you, likelihood of Islamists overthrowing hundreds of years of a Sufi-like religious teachings is unlikely.
    Somalis are more passionate about qabils than religion.

I'm with you on the 'somalis don't like being told what to do' bit as well Afro Imagine that...Shabab telling hooyo's what colour dir'ii to wear and not to wear bright colours, as well as ordering them not to participate in selling things in public marketplaces? Cheesy Somalis are resilliant but need the world to support the effort against Shabab.

LOL  Cheesy

Better chance of flying to the moon than stopping it or telling them not to get dressed up for a wedding or wear jewellery or sing and dance! Islamists really do not know Somalis at all.

I hope the recent bombing in Uganda (during WC final) doesn't deter more African states from contributing more to this effort.

The bombings may put off Uganda which is sad but not surprising

Reply #77 - July 16, 2010, 01:52 PM

That's why you have a tea thermos handy. Smiley

A great social lubricant, completely frees you from the realities of time and space. Smiley

No shit...Djibouti's productivity would be at least double what it is now if it weren't for that stuff. Cheesy They considered banning the chewing of it during business hours but to no avail. Smiley

I usually have some coke with it as it sweetens the natural bitterness

Cheesy So very true
    You know you have come back to EA when you see people laying around with it around them lol

Reply #78 - July 16, 2010, 02:33 PM

We probably spent more on bribes than anything else. It being my biggest expenditure. The same for Somalia and Somaliland, the police are easily paid off

that is the case in Every African and Middle eastern country as well.  Trust me

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #79 - July 16, 2010, 03:24 PM

many asian ones too!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #80 - July 16, 2010, 03:52 PM

victory
    hiya abz !
     Reply #81 - July 17, 2010, 12:14 PM

victory
    hiya abz !

Hey there!

But I agree with you, likelihood of Islamists overthrowing hundreds of years of a Sufi-like religious teachings is unlikely.

Somalis are more passionate about qabils than religion.

They operate under fear atm. Those I fear for most are the younger ones, the kids that are no doubt being indoctrinated as we speak. One thing you'll notice them doing is making a point to have kids involved in their most brutal of actions. Stonings, lashings, amputations....they'll make sure to have kids there to witness it. Once they even shut a nearby school down to have the schoolchildren sit and watch a public lashing. They even take some of their kids to the battlefront to watch the mujahideen in action.

Sufi's are being drawn in as well, only they've taken the side of the govt & UN against the shabab. The tipping point I think came after all those sufi shrines were destroyed in the south, which was fairly early on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPWI-p9Kl4g&feature=channel

Then the sufi backlash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o_XQNdtnKk&feature=related

It's my hope that they fail in their attempts at luring somali youth in the west into joining the fight but unfortunately they've managed to brainwash some from the UK, Canada, Australia, US, etc.

Btw, have you managed to tell your loved ones about you leaving the religion? Do you see it happening in future?
     Reply #82 - July 17, 2010, 12:23 PM

Those DOGS in human form you see in that 2nd video should be shot dead on site and throw their bodies to wild dogs of African jungles... see that above video after 6 mts..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #83 - July 17, 2010, 12:29 PM

It's my hope that they fail in their attempts at luring somali youth in the west into joining the fight but unfortunately they've managed to brainwash some from the UK, Canada, Australia, US, etc.

Btw, have you managed to tell your loved ones about you leaving the religion? Do you see it happening in future?

Oh those videos are so sad, it makes me feel horrible watching what is happening in the South.
    Poor Sufi Somalis. They have been part of our history for so long :(

The Somalis in the West feel the need to have a purpose, some Somalis have not integrated in their adopted homeland which is sad considering they have what those back home would love to have.

Lol
    Tell my family?
    You, more than anyone else on this board understand Somali culture. Do you really think I could tell them and walk away unscathed?  Cheesy
    I will never tell my Mom, I don't think I could break her heart or bring down her reputation willingly.
    How about you?

Reply #84 - July 17, 2010, 12:35 PM

Lol Meredith. I just wanted to see you react to that question. Wink Was worth it. I've got a pretty good idea of how they may well react. Smiley  

Me? Not a snowflake's chance in hell. Cheesy It's my mum whose religious sensibilities would be hurt the most, my dad would be offended as he'd view it as me rejecting something he's handed down to me, a sort of personal betrayal. He'd react the same way if I rejected my ethnicity. 

Reply #85 - July 17, 2010, 12:36 PM

Oh those videos are so sad, it makes me feel horrible watching what is happening in the South.
    Poor Sufi Somalis. They have been part of our history for so long :(

The Somalis in the West feel the need to have a purpose, some Somalis have not integrated in their adopted homeland which is sad considering they have what those back home would love to have.

I never quite understood why regions such as Somaliland and Puntland do not get more help...  I feel that they are fighting a losing battle against Al Shabab but I could be wrong.,

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #86 - July 17, 2010, 12:41 PM

Lol Meredith. I just wanted to see you react to that question. Wink Was worth it. I've got a pretty good idea of how they may well react. Smiley  

Me? Not a snowflake's chance in hell. Cheesy It's my mum whose religious sensibilities would be hurt the most, my dad would be offended as he'd view it as me rejecting something he's handed down to me, a sort of personal betrayal. He'd react the same way if I rejected my ethnicity. 

Cheesy

Its the exact same for me and Somalis are really judgemental as well of each others children. They practically compare them to one another!
    But for my Mom it has gone a step further, she has started "hinting" I need to settle down. Pfft, perhaps when hell freezes over.

What is it with E African women? My Mom did the exact same thing. She was all nice and liberal, comes to UK and now she has gone all psychotic religious on me to "fit in"

Reply #87 - July 17, 2010, 12:43 PM

I never quite understood why regions such as Somaliland and Puntland do not get more help...  I feel that they are fighting a losing battle against Al Shabab but I could be wrong.,

No we're losing and if someone doesn't contain it, I think Puntland will fall first.
    What makes it worst is that the Somalia still gets million in foreign aid which goes to weapons whereas Somaliland is limited to only what it can get which is less a quarter of what Somalia gets.

Reply #88 - July 17, 2010, 12:47 PM

What is it with E African women? My Mom did the exact same thing. She was all nice and liberal, comes to UK and now she has gone all psychotic religious on me to "fit in"

She's in a foreign country that is quite different to what she's known before.  She's started seeing Islam as an integral part of her identity, its not just an East African thing.

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #89 - July 17, 2010, 12:50 PM

She's in a foreign country that is quite different to what she's known before.  She's started seeing Islam as an integral part of her identity, its not just an East African thing.

+1

You can be quite lucid sometimes. And you being crazy makes it even more impressive.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »