Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: So...here it goes....I'm abz from Oz...how ya goin'?

(Read 23368 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: So...here it goes....I'm abz from Oz...how ya goin'?
     Reply #30 - July 15, 2010, 12:24 PM

Just three posts down from that one mate.  Afro

ex-muslim + google =  yes
     Reply #31 - July 15, 2010, 12:29 PM

How many of you have managed to come out to friends/family as ex-muslims? If not...do you forsee that ever happening? If so, when?

I have come out to all my family & friends, they all accept me for who I am now even though some dont agree.  Others think I have a point and dont dwell on it, because they know I love too and they are bored of the subject now.  Shame, because they're the ones I love talking to about it.  Cry 

Others, like my partner and bothers & sisters,  have actually lost most of their faith to a point where they accept that they are agnostic given the dictionary definition of the term.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #32 - July 15, 2010, 12:44 PM

Quote from: IsLame
    I have come out to all my family & friends, they all accept me for who I am now even though some dont agree.

That's pretty good of them, I'm sincerely happy for you man. I read your letter to your religious cousin when I first visited this site...maximum respect. Smiley
     Reply #33 - July 15, 2010, 02:09 PM

welcome

love this saying "I knew I'd been sold a dud" haven't heard it in a while Smiley but perfectly sums up the penny dropping

Damn you Mr X! always ruining my focus on the thread with your seductive avatars! anyway welcome abz  grin12
     Reply #34 - July 15, 2010, 03:45 PM

How many of you have managed to come out to friends/family as ex-muslims? If not...do you forsee that ever happening? If so, when?

I'm out to pretty much everyone lol
     Reply #35 - July 15, 2010, 03:50 PM

I'm out to pretty much everyone lol

Oh yes, we were talking about "as an apostate", that's right Smiley

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #36 - July 15, 2010, 03:54 PM

lol... there are striking similarities though  grin12
     Reply #37 - July 15, 2010, 04:07 PM

Welcome to the forum, abz!  I certainly can relate to the frustration and
    a bit angry realizing the truth.  I also thank Oz for those tidbits, because i
    derived some confort from it myself.  Smiley  There are some eye opening
    videos in various threads regarding islamic slavery, that blew my mind, as
    well.  Interestingly, some of the muslims  that frequent here refuse to
    believe muslims are involved or treated slaves heinously.  (and still do, btw)

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #38 - July 15, 2010, 04:15 PM

Welcome abz! Great to have you here, the water is nice & warm, do come in for a swim.  cool2

I see a lot of my mother (bless her) and dad in your parents. Striking similarity even (!)

See you around!  Smiley
     Reply #39 - July 15, 2010, 04:26 PM

abz.. it was reverse for me.  being an american convert to islam, i was afraid to
    tell my family and friends for fear of being blasted into outer space.  A few friends
    turned their back on me in utter disgust, but for the most part, my family and
    closest friends accepted it, even though they didnt like it.  They knew i had been
    searching for "truth" and spirituality via the big sky daddy for many years, and
    to them, this was just another quest in my search.  However, they were quite
    relieved when I apostized. 

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #40 - July 15, 2010, 04:42 PM

Welcome to the boards Abz!!

I was a bit distracted by Mr X's avatar too, until I realised why I came to this thread Grin

Reply #41 - July 15, 2010, 11:37 PM

W00t! dance Awesome! Which country? Smiley

Somaliland!  dance
    I loved going Ethiopia for holiday a few years ago (Addis Ababa). It was kinda awkward considering the Somalia/Ethiopia dislike and I ofc chose the genius year of 06 ( Roll Eyes) to go there but otherwise it was fun

There hasn't been a lot of those from HOA here although it is a pretty big region, wonder why =P

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #42 - July 16, 2010, 12:12 AM

whalecum new kafir Cheesy

hope you enjoy hell

astaghfarallah

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #43 - July 16, 2010, 12:26 AM

Welcome. The good thing about the internet is that there is a place for everyone. Everyone here is great. On top of that its like reaching through the screen and touching someone.

you like being touched don't you. grin12

Musa, mihi causas memora, quo numine laeso,
    quidve dolens, regina deum tot volvere casus
    insignem pietate virum, tot adire labores               
    impulerit. Tantaene animis caelestibus irae?

-the Aeneid
     Reply #44 - July 16, 2010, 01:41 AM

ok
    that's the second time I've seen that...
    ass tag for allah???
    what the hell does it mean?

Sex booze and rock&roll
    you know
    the finer things in life
     Reply #45 - July 16, 2010, 01:47 AM

astaghfarallah = in response to blasphemy... somehing like "REPENT TO ALLAH!"

at least thats what i was told lol

Helen Keller
     Reply #46 - July 16, 2010, 07:46 AM

ok
    that's the second time I've seen that...
    ass tag for allah???
    what the hell does it mean?

Cheesy
     Reply #47 - July 16, 2010, 08:18 AM

Meaning of... Word: Astaghfirullah
    Meaning: An Arabic phrase meaning "I ask Allah forgiveness." A Muslim says this phrase many times, even when he is talking to another person. When a Muslim abstains from doing wrong, or even when he wants to prove that he is innocent of an incident he uses this expression. 
    True Form: استغفر الله   
    Grammar: phraze;

http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=astaghfirullah

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #48 - July 16, 2010, 10:27 AM

Meaning of... Word: Astaghfirullah
    Meaning: An Arabic phrase meaning "I ask Allah forgiveness." A Muslim says this phrase many times, even when he is talking to another person. When a Muslim abstains from doing wrong, or even when he wants to prove that he is innocent of an incident he uses this expression.  
    True Form: استغفر الله  
    Grammar: phraze;

http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=astaghfirullah

It is also used in the sense of an exclamation of disgust or disdain - for example if I say to a Muslim:

"I had bacon for breakfast!"

He might reply:

"Astaghfirullah!"

It's another example of how it can be misleading to translate words literally without understanding the sense they are commonly used.
     Reply #49 - July 16, 2010, 10:35 AM

Just because my curiosity is aroused for no apparent reason, how would that vary in order to make it accurate?

Before: I ask Allah's forgiveness (for me)
    After: I ask Allah's forgiveness (for you)

Reply #50 - July 16, 2010, 10:41 AM

Meaning of... Word: "Astaghfirullah"

That is one hell of CREEPY WORD., sounds like those Necrotizing fasciitis ( flesh-eating)bacteria crawling on you..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #51 - July 16, 2010, 10:48 AM

Just because my curiosity is aroused for no apparent reason, how would that vary in order to make it accurate?

Before: I ask Allah's forgiveness (for me)
    After: I ask Allah's forgiveness (for you)

You would just need to add the preposition and pronoun; "For you" (laka)
     Reply #52 - July 16, 2010, 10:51 AM

Astaghgirullahlaka?

la = for : I have learned a new word Smiley

Reply #53 - July 16, 2010, 10:55 AM

Astaghgirullahlaka?

la = for : I have learned a new word Smiley

Yep: "I seek forgiveness (from)" "allah" and; "for" "you" (the latter two are joined)

Astaghfiru allah laka

استغفر الله لك
     Reply #54 - July 16, 2010, 11:03 AM

Excellent, thanks.

Funny how for a woman "for you" is laki - which is phonetically the same as "Lacky" (someone who does all the cleaning).  I shall notify my wife immediately Smiley

Reply #55 - July 16, 2010, 11:12 AM

lol... there are striking similarities though  grin12

Nice. The similarity did occur to me, definitely. Discovering who you really are, facing up to it and accepting your validity, working up the courage to tell those you care about...anticipating the reaction, ie. acceptance & uncoditional support or stubborn rejection.

abz.. it was reverse for me.  being an american convert to islam, i was afraid to
    tell my family and friends for fear of being blasted into outer space.  A few friends
    turned their back on me in utter disgust, but for the most part, my family and
    closest friends accepted it, even though they didnt like it.  They knew i had been
    searching for "truth" and spirituality via the big sky daddy for many years, and
    to them, this was just another quest in my search.  However, they were quite
    relieved when I apostized.  

I'd imagine they would've been. Smiley They religious themselves, at all?

Welcome. The good thing about the internet is that there is a place for everyone. Everyone here is great. On top of that its like reaching through the screen and touching someone.

I look forward to it all. Smiley

you like being touched don't you. grin12

I do, but not on a first thread. I'm not that kind of boy. Smiley

Reply #56 - July 16, 2010, 11:14 AM

Funny how for a woman "for you" is laki - which is phonetically the same as "Lacky" (someone who does all the cleaning).  I shall notify my wife immediately Smiley

lol
     Reply #57 - July 16, 2010, 11:41 AM

Somaliland!  dance
    I loved going Ethiopia for holiday a few years ago (Addis Ababa). It was kinda awkward considering the Somalia/Ethiopia dislike and I ofc chose the genius year of 06 ( Roll Eyes) to go there but otherwise it was fun

There hasn't been a lot of those from HOA here although it is a pretty big region, wonder why =P

Somaliland, nice. Smiley I'm half Oromo/Amhara. My old man worked in Berbera for a while. Somaliland & Ethio have relatively good relations, I've got quite a few friends from there. They've even built an Ethio college over there. I've never been as far as Addis myself - I caught the Djibouti-Addis train but never got as far as Addis Abeba 'cos I couldn't afford to bribe my way through, and I was a refugee with no official documents/passport. Cheesy I'd usually go to Dire dawa (my parents hometown) and hang out there - the town is like, half somali I'd say. Smiley Infact at least 6% of Ethiopia (80 mill) is ethnic somali.

My oldies, when they were younger actually worked in Gobolka Soomaalida in places like Godey, Jijiga and werder where the communist gov't was trying to establish social services there as a means of furthering the 'cause' of the international proletariat. Smiley You can imagine how well that would've gone. Cheesy

I'm very familiar with Somalis and their culture, I just wish this whole qabil (clan) thing would be done with....now there's UIC & Al-shabab....just seems to be getting worse. I don't know a single Ethiopian that supported the US-backed invasion in '06....it would have to be one of our most unpopular wars ever imho. I couldn't be sorrier for all those civilians that got caught up in the Ethio-Al-shabab fight.

I just hope Al-shabab is defeated along with their Islamist ideology....I think the Somali people have had a taste of Shariah now and I'd wager they absolutely hate it. Shooting people for watching the world cup?! They've introduced the practice of suicide bombing inot the HOA as well....not happy about that.

Outside of that I'd actually say the horn of africa doesn't have too much to worry about in terms of religious fanaticism, the majority are just poor folks that need more government & NGO work in terms of eradicating harmful social practices like FGM.

What do you think of the situation in Somalia at the moment? Al-shabab? Abdullahi Yusuf?

Reply #58 - July 16, 2010, 12:00 PM

Yeah. Somaliland and Ethiopia are good friends and will continue to be good allies, I like Ethiopia but it was amusing visiting as people assumed you were from the South and then had a wary look on their face until you corrected them

LOL Cheesy
    We probably spent more on bribes than anything else. It being my biggest expenditure. The same for Somalia and Somaliland, the police are easily paid off
    Always wished to visit Dijoubti but saw no point, seems little different from other Somali areas. Just that it speaks French  as well and not very surprising it is majority Somali. We have spread out in our time across horn of Africa.   Afro

I like my qabil! I am very proud of being part of the Isaaq, it’s what makes Somali’s just that.
    Our culture steeped in history but I see what you are getting at considering it is exactly because of qabils that the whole mess down South got exacerbated.
    But it seems to be moving from a clan-based civil war to a religious warfare in the South which is even more dangerous.

I’d prefer warfare over qabils than Islamists getting control of the South and I disliked the invasion of 06. I don’t know anyone who supported it.

This is why I love having another horner here, I can talk about Qabils and Somalia’s problem without having to go right to the beginning and explaining everything.
    I hope Al Shabab is defeated as well, it does not belong there. I do not appreciate the Arabs having their hand in Somalia and using it as some sort of proxy or Eitrea using Somalia to hurt Ethiopia. Annoying to put it mildly.

I know of no one who supports Al Shabab and do not worry, it will collapse eventually. As with the warlords Somalis eventually will snap and get rid of them, we do not like being told what to do.

Football is as integrated in Somalia as chewing  qat Cheesy

I see what is happening in Somalia as dangerous to Somaliland. The Ugandan bombings has worried me, if they can get that far into another country. It doesn’t take much to get into Somaliland.
    Especially considering Somaliland just recently had its elections, I do not want something happening during inauguration. Somaliland’s democracy is too fragile and new to handle such a strain.

But if I was Ethiopia I'd be very concerned, Islamists seem to be gaining a foothold and honestly, where the bloody heck are they getting weapons from?? UN has a arms ban on Somalia which means one of the neighbouring countries is giving it to them.

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #59 - July 16, 2010, 12:16 PM

Football is as integrated in Somalia as chewing  qat Cheesy

Whats that?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »