Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Atkins Diet

(Read 5430 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Atkins Diet
     OP - July 05, 2010, 09:19 AM

Thinking about going onto Atkins diet for a week, so my meals are going to be very different. 

I did it a few years back and lost a stone in 1 month!  It works because it drives the body into a ketonic state - its not healthy as a long term solution, but it the quickest way to lose wait as long as you do it as a temporary measure and then eat sensibly for thereonin

Anyone else done it?  What were the results?  What kind of foods were you eating?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: Atkins Diet
     Reply #1 - July 05, 2010, 09:58 AM

Crash diets are unhealthy unless they're going to become a lifestyle change for a very long time. Someone I know is on Atkins with no carbs at alll- very very extreme. She's lost a lot of weight but the question is whether she wants to quit the diet and eat a more normal, varied diet and risk putting on the weight again or carry on with it. How long did you go on it before?

Do you exercise?
     Reply #2 - July 05, 2010, 10:01 AM

Do you exercise?

Play tennis twice a week for about 3 hrs in total

How long did you go on it before?

Only a month, and lost a stone

Crash diets are unhealthy unless they're going to become a lifestyle change for a very long time. Someone I know is on Atkins with no carbs at alll- very very extreme. She's lost a lot of weight but the question is whether she wants to quit the diet and eat a more normal, varied diet and risk putting on the weight again or carry on with it.

She didnt go about it very sensibly at all

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - July 05, 2010, 10:40 AM

She's been on it for 3 months and she's looking at not eating carbs for quite some time. Kudos to her for her motivation.

I personally think a balanced and sensitive attitude towards food is all it takes to keep healthy. Cut out the high fat crap, snack less and if peckish eat some nuts or fruit like apples, cut down portion sizes, don't skip breakfast, don't eat after 7pm and exercise. Atkins and every other fad diet is just fueling lots of overweight people's laziness to change; the amount of overweight people i've met who say they've been on Atkins and a million other diets and it hasn't done anything for them- well obviously something isn't adding up.
     Reply #4 - July 05, 2010, 10:43 AM

^ this.

... and lots of water.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #5 - July 05, 2010, 10:44 AM

the amount of overweight people i've met who say they've been on Atkins and a million other diets and it hasn't done anything for them- well obviously something isn't adding up.

Ive have never come across anybody who Atkins didnt work for

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #6 - July 05, 2010, 12:00 PM

Are you going on a diet to reduce bodyfat or because its trendy?

I am not a fan of any particular diet yet learning about good nutrition is a better way.

I will simplify things somewhat
    Carbohydrates- They break down into glucose which gives you energy
    Protein- Breaks down into amino acids which helps with rebuilding /repairing
    Fat- Breaks down into fat.When your body is using your aerobic energy system you are burning fat therefore skinny athletes can eat some fatty foods.
    If you eat more calories than what you burn up this excess gets stored as bodyfat.

If you look at sports nutrition which is in my opinion preferable as its compatible with coronary care dietry advice from your hospital then fats are to be avoided as it does not help blood cells absorb oxygen.

The ratios of Carbs to protein to fat will vary with amount and intensity of exercise.
    If you think about it for a second the food you eat is fuel for your body.

I like some form of dead animal on my dinner plate we are the top of the food chain vegetarians always look anemic to me..lol.

Reply #7 - July 05, 2010, 12:11 PM

I like some form of dead animal on my dinner plate we are the top of the food chain vegetarians always look anemic to me..lol.

I'm stronger than I look.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #8 - July 05, 2010, 04:59 PM

A ketogenic diet is good if you want to lose a lot of weight really quickly, but it's not healthy long term. However, you probably won't get anything out of it worthwhile after just a week-- for one thing it takes a few days for your body to go into ketosis once you start the diet (buy some keto strips so you can tell when your body has made the shift). Min should really be two weeks on the diet. One to two months is probably a good range.

You will get constipated really badly if you don't drink lots of water and take psyllium husks fiber (Metamucil) once your body is in ketosis. Also, you will not lose muscle while in ketosis, but neither will you be able to build it.

The main reason I don't do these diets anymore, however, besides them being unhealthy, is that they are expensive/difficult to maintain due to the high levels of fat and protein required, and furthermore, I get really, really angry on them. Like my head just gets hot (literally and figuratively) and I'll just explode for no reason. I remember once smashing an automatic paper towel dispenser at a travel plaza on the Jersey Turnpike because it was taking too long to dispense the paper towels. Freaked everyone else in the bathroom out.

fuck you
     Reply #9 - July 05, 2010, 05:03 PM

Ive have never come across anybody who Atkins didnt work for

me too, but i agree with Q on this one, it is NOT healthy at all, and you dont
    get  necessary daily nutrition from it.  Unless perhaps one takes high potency
    vitamins as well.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #10 - July 05, 2010, 05:07 PM

Atkins diet is more akin to the way our ancestors used to eat, and what our body got used to, than what we eat now. 

Refined carbohydrates never existed before, and what I believe is underlying & principle cause behind the obesity factor. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - July 05, 2010, 05:13 PM

Atkins diet is more akin to the way our ancestors used to eat, and what our body got used to, than what we eat now. 

Refined carbohydrates never existed before, and what I believe is underlying & principle cause behind the obesity factor. 

Yeah, but you can be on a diet that is low in refined carbs without being on a ketogenic (Atkins) diet-- like the "Zone diet" and "South Beach Diet", which are both much healthier than Atkins. Ketosis is what burns the fat in an Atkins diet, and that is NOT the body's natural state. Essentially, by depriving your body of so much carbs, you trick it into thinking it's starving and your body starts burning fat.

fuck you
     Reply #12 - July 05, 2010, 05:28 PM

Long term, I think I will prob go down this route.  Short-term, they simply wont produce the kind of weight loss that I would like in the timeframe that I want.

Best thing about it was that I enjoyed the whole process because everyday I stood on the scales I saw a different reading and I still got to eat lots of foods I enjoyed and even got to try things I would not have considered normally (e.g. baked sea bass).

Like I said, last time I did it I lost a stone in 4 weeks! 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - July 05, 2010, 05:40 PM

No, I understand what you are trying to do, IsLame. If you can get a hold of some metformin, that will put you into ketosis faster. Get some keto strips so you can tell when your body has shifted. Drink lots of water and once your body is in ketosis, also take plenty of psyllium husks to keep from getting constipated. Breakfast ideally should be a shake of whey protein with flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is helpful in a couple of ways-- (1) in order for ketosis to kick in, your fat intake needs to be pretty damn high, and flaxseed oil is considerably healthier than many other fats, (2) along with plenty of water and Metamucil, it'll keep them bowels a movin.

fuck you
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »