Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Sunnah Sports

(Read 8578 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Sunnah Sports
     OP - July 04, 2010, 10:24 PM

I just saw this group on Facebook called "Sunnah Sports", and the summary reads as follows:

Helping to revive the best pastimes found in the Sunnah. Archery, Horseriding, Wrestling, Swimming, Horse Racing, Running, Falconry etc. This is a place to develop ideas of revival within our communities, and to learn the evidences based upon the Quran and Sunnah.

To Revive the Sunnah Pastimes, and replace the vain practises that the ummah has fallen into.

Fundamentalists are such dickheads. I'm surprised they didn't go the whole hog and say that any sports not mentioned in the Sunnah are Haram. Just because football, cricket, tennis, rugby etc were not played then, does not make them bad. If it were up to these lot, we would be going to work on Camels because they didn't have cars back then.

Anyway, have you heard of scholars etc. declaring sports to be haram. I know boxing is considered haram because of punching in the face, and everyone has seen that video where zakir naik is saying cricket is haram because it is a massive waste of time. But have there ever been any scholars who have outright said that sports other than "sunnah" sports are haram or not recommended?

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
  • Re: Sunnah Sports
     Reply #1 - July 04, 2010, 11:13 PM

Soon they will have their very own muslim version of Amish

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #2 - July 04, 2010, 11:28 PM

I don't think they are saying sports like fooball are haram (that really would be tortuous to give up for many Muslims).  I think this group is to encourage the *particular* sports which the prophet engaged in (because they are sunnah).  I've heard scholars encourage sports like archery and horse-riding many times because they are sunnah.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #3 - July 04, 2010, 11:34 PM

Speaking of sports, it'll be difficult for practising Muslim athletes to compete in the 2012 London Olympics because its slap bang in the middle of Ramadhan.

Reply #4 - July 04, 2010, 11:46 PM

I don't think they are saying sports like fooball are haram (that really would be tortuous to give up for many Muslims).  I think this group is to encourage the *particular* sports which the prophet engaged in (because they are sunnah).  I've heard scholars encourage sports like archery and horse-riding many times because they are sunnah.

The problem is that some of them are not even sunnah. archery, horse riding, and swimming were from Omar bin al Khattab, neither from the Quran or Sunnah.

Reply #5 - July 05, 2010, 08:31 AM

I know boxing is considered haram because of punching in the face,

What about if they change the rules to

"Punch (lightly) in the face" Smiley

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #6 - July 05, 2010, 08:35 AM

Speaking of sports, it'll be difficult for practising Muslim athletes to compete in the 2012 London Olympics because its slap bang in the middle of Ramadhan.

There was a story about this...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-410439/Muslims-anger-London-Olympics-clash-Ramadan.html

Quote from: MassoudShadjareh
    They would not have organised this at Christmas

Erm no, perhaps because it would have been....bastard freezing?

I'm not really fussed.  Sport should be secular.  If we kept postponing due to religious objections I don't know how it would end up.

Reply #7 - July 05, 2010, 08:36 AM

What about if they change the rules to

"Punch (lightly) in the face" Smiley

Cheesy

Reply #8 - July 05, 2010, 08:53 AM

What about fencing? I'm sure Muhammad used swords..   Perhaps scimitars will be used instead of the normal ones to make it more sunnah..

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #9 - July 05, 2010, 09:17 AM

Do beheadings count as an islamic pastime?

Reply #10 - July 05, 2010, 09:49 AM

Do beheadings count as an islamic pastime?

Stoning the wench sounds like good fun the whole family can enjoy.

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

Reply #11 - July 05, 2010, 10:04 AM

How about the burqa sack race?  Cheesy

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #12 - July 05, 2010, 10:09 AM

How about the burqa sack race?  Cheesy

Guess who could eventually become popular with the niqabiyyas

Reply #13 - July 05, 2010, 10:11 AM

How about the burqa sack race?  Cheesy

Good one Grin

Reply #14 - July 05, 2010, 10:14 AM

Thing is, most of these Islamofacist groups have a blanket condemnation for women participating in ANY sport.  That's what really pisses me off.  If keeping physically fit is part of the sunnah than that should equally apply to women, especially women since it is only women who bear the children.  finmad

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #15 - July 05, 2010, 10:16 AM

Thing is, most of these Islamofacist groups have a blanket condemnation for women participating in ANY sport.  That's what really pisses me off.  If keeping physically fit is part of the sunnah than that should equally apply to women, especially women since it is only women who bear the children.  finmad

Any sport, or any sport observed by men?  Surely the main objection is that men might see their ornaments shake as their feet stamp?

Reply #16 - July 05, 2010, 11:41 AM

No, they even have a problem with women working out in women-only gyms:
    Q:I am concerned about this subject matter I am a female at the age of twelve and I practise martial arts taekwondo I wear my hijab during these classes.
    The session is mixed female and male. Is it okay if I continue my training that enjoy very much even after I receive my puberty. I will start to wear hiab permanently then, but my question is must I quit my training .

A: Praise be to Allaah.

How good it is that this Muslim girl, who is so young, is keen to ask about matters of her religion and is keen to make her life, behaviour and attitude in accordance with her religion. Whatever her religion allows, she does it and avails herself of this concession. Whatever Islam does not allow, it is best to keep away from, and what Allah has permitted His slaves is sufficient and there is no need to transgress His limits and do what He has forbidden.

It is clear that one of the aims of sharee‘ah is that women should cover themselves and guard their chastity, and that a woman should not show her charms to a man who is a stranger (non-mahram) to her.

It is well known that when girls do sports, especially games involving strength or some other games which need particular effort, when they do these sports in mixed clubs and venues, it leads to the girl showing a great deal of her charms, and showing that which is not appropriate, especially when these exercises cannot be done wearing full jilbab.

We have discussed the guidelines on women participating in sports, the most important of which is that it should be out of the sight of non-mahram men. See the answer to question no. 115676.

Doing the exercises that a woman needs at home means that she has no need to go to clubs and open places, because that usually involves uncovering and mixing.

In the answer to question no. 1200 we have discussed the prohibition on mixing because of the serious bad consequences to which it leads.

It should be noted that many girls reach puberty and thus become fully accountable when they are twelve years old. If she has not yet reached this stage, she is very close to puberty and has reached an age at which men may be attracted to her. A girl like this should cover and avoid mixing with men and so on, just as is required of an adult woman.

See the answer to question no. 43485.

The Muslim woman should be keen to do sports that are in accordance with her nature and femininity and avoid violent sports which may affect her body and may cause her real harm.

Islam QA

And what, pray tell, ARE these 'womanly' sports?  Speed hoovering, freestyle mopping?  Advanced laundry folding?  mysmilie_977

Reply #17 - July 05, 2010, 11:47 AM

when they are twelve years old. If she has not yet reached this stage, she is very close to puberty and has reached an age at which men may be attracted to her

I think he misspelled 9

Reply #18 - July 05, 2010, 12:49 PM

And what, pray tell, ARE these 'womanly' sports?  Speed hoovering, freestyle mopping?  Advanced laundry folding?  mysmilie_977

Those sound like pretty cool sports actually Grin

Reply #19 - July 05, 2010, 01:09 PM

Coincidentally I just stumbled across this advertised on a youtube video Smiley
    www.islamic-games.com

Reply #20 - July 05, 2010, 02:12 PM

Nice find, Rationalizer. The girl next to the title made my day
    RUN, WOMAN! RUUUUUUN!!!!

Reply #21 - July 05, 2010, 02:23 PM

LOL!  That was the first picture that caught my eye too!

Reply #22 - July 13, 2010, 07:15 PM

I alway thought golf was the perfect sport for a Muslim woman cool2

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #23 - July 13, 2010, 07:24 PM

A hijab made by Nike??

Reply #24 - July 13, 2010, 07:26 PM

Sure, why not? Expand the customer base.

Reply #25 - July 13, 2010, 07:29 PM

Is it just me or does she look like a human condom in the second pic?!

Reply #26 - July 13, 2010, 07:32 PM

Actually, in my Muslim days, I would have said there's no point in her covering her head because her clothes reveal the detailed shape of her body, which defeats the purpose of hijab.
     Roll Eyes

Reply #27 - July 13, 2010, 07:34 PM

Is it just me or does she look like a human condom in the second pic?!

It actually reminds me of the Face Trainer

Reply #28 - July 13, 2010, 07:34 PM

that doesnt even look like a woman!!!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #29 - July 13, 2010, 07:37 PM

Actually, in my Muslim days, I would have said there's no point in her covering her head because her clothes reveal the detailed shape of her body, which defeats the purpose of hijab.
     Roll Eyes

Seriously! I saw so many muslim girls here with tight-ass jeans and bouncy melons. But noooooo! the hijab will protect her from men's gazes, she says Roll Eyes

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »