Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi from a Christian *ducks and runs for cover*

(Read 12507 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi from a Christian *ducks and runs for cover*
     OP - July 01, 2010, 09:15 AM

Hi everyone Smiley

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, so thought I should introduce myself. I'm a married mum of 2 girls, I'm Scottish (but live in England these days). Yes I'm a Christian, but a slightly different one I think lol. I don't hold the Bible as the be all and end all, I think it's more of a guide book than a rule book. A collection of stories to try and install morals etc into civilization. The NT is more of a rule section, but as it's main message is peace and love, I have no probs with that  grin12 I am however, fanatical (is that a good word to use on here  Cheesy) about learning about other religions. I find it fascinating what some people will believe in (and that includes the various branches of Christianity!), but also I believe the better understanding we have of each others faiths (or non faiths) then the better off the world will be. So that's me, and look forward to hearing from you guys Smiley

Tiocfaidh ar la.
  • Re: Hi from a Christian *ducks and runs for cover*
     Reply #1 - July 01, 2010, 09:16 AM

Welcome momma2.   Smiley

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - July 01, 2010, 09:21 AM

Welcome momma.   Smiley  You sound like a CofE type Christian, am I right?  Here's a parrot.   parrot

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - July 01, 2010, 09:40 AM

Welcome.  Smiley
     Reply #4 - July 01, 2010, 09:43 AM

oooh, so close lol. I'm Church of Scotland, but as there aren't any down where I live, I attend a methodist church Smiley CoE still believes in a lot of things that the catholic church does, so I'm not comfortable with that, with CoS it's a lot more 'casual' (if that's the right word), and people are free to have the relationship they want to have with God, without the rituals and hierarchy getting in the way Smiley

But thanks for the parrot  Afro (although my cats may eat it  Cheesy)

Tiocfaidh ar la.
     Reply #5 - July 01, 2010, 09:46 AM

The only thing I know about Methodists is that they always allowed women to become preachers. 

CoE still believes in a lot of things that the catholic church does, so I'm not comfortable with that,

Oooooh, controversial!  What don't you like about the Catholic church?  (I'm an ex-Catholic).

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - July 01, 2010, 09:52 AM

Have you got a spare 3 hours  Cheesy

weeeelll, a few points that drive me nuts:

In the Bible it says that you shall have no other father but your father in Heaven, so why call a priest father? It also says idolatory is a sin, so why have the figure of Christ on the cross, statues of Mary and the saints etc? The whole transwhatever with the communion wine and wafer actually turning into the body and blood of Christ, er no it doesn't, it's wine and bread, it's symbolic people!! The fact that priests forgive sins, nope, God does that. The pope speaking to God and no one else, says who buddy? And then there's the pope, the archbishops, mass, confession etc, where does it mention all that in the Bible?

I have a simple faith, where there's me and God, and that's how I like it Smiley I go to church as I like to be with people in celebration of that fact, but I certainly don't NEED to go, and I'm not going to go to hell if I happen to miss a few sundays or decide I'd rather not go at all lol.

Tiocfaidh ar la.
     Reply #7 - July 01, 2010, 09:55 AM

hi there moma,

wellcome.

2 quick questions:

1. how do you/did you call your Father if there is no other father than god?

2. The bible also states that there are no other gods except Yahweh (1,2,3, comandments), how do you reconcile your belief in Jesus (son of god = a god himselfe) and Yahweh?

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #8 - July 01, 2010, 10:19 AM

Welcome! Smiley

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #9 - July 01, 2010, 10:27 AM

welcome momma2  Smiley   heres a "welcome bunny" for you  bunny

I was raised catholic, and went to catholic schools.  My parents were catholic in
    name only.  I wanted to be a nun at one point  Cheesy

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #10 - July 01, 2010, 10:36 AM

Welcome to the forum momma2 Smiley

The parrot and bunny has been taken, so I'll just have to offer you the piggy  piggy   His name is Bob

Reply #11 - July 01, 2010, 10:38 AM

hi there moma,

wellcome.

2 quick questions:

1. how do you/did you call your Father if there is no other father than god?

2. The bible also states that there are no other gods except Yahweh (1,2,3, comandments), how do you reconcile your belief in Jesus (son of god = a god himselfe) and Yahweh?

I call him dad lol, and there is a difference from calling your parent father, to calling a religous leader Father (with the capital F), as that insinuates that he has authority over your spiritual being, which he should not, he should only be there to guide you in your faith, not dictate it Smiley

and Christ IS God, part of the trinity that makes the whole. Nope, I don't completely understand it myself, but it's not something I get worked up about lol, and is part of the whole faith thing Smiley As I said about the Bible, I don't believe it is the complete word of God, it is a group of stories that were brought together to bring order to chaos, but I do believe it had the hand of God in it, and not one of the religions of the world has the complete answers, or should claim to have the final word of God (ie their Holy book), as they have ALL been written down by man, and man is fallible and makes mistakes in interpretation and translation Smiley

Tiocfaidh ar la.
     Reply #12 - July 01, 2010, 10:50 AM

Welcome Momma!

(although my cats may eat it  Cheesy)

You have cats? I like you already  Afro
     Reply #13 - July 01, 2010, 10:58 AM

Hi there momma! Welcome to the forum Smiley

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #14 - July 01, 2010, 10:59 AM

lol, thanks Aurora. I have 3 of my own (along with ferrets, chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and fish Cheesy) plus I foster for the Cats Protection Smiley

Tiocfaidh ar la.
     Reply #15 - July 01, 2010, 11:04 AM

momma2 is on my good books!

Reply #16 - July 01, 2010, 11:06 AM

Welcome, momma2, and no worries-- theists of the laid-back, liberal sort (Muslim, Christian, whatever) get along just fine here.

fuck you
     Reply #17 - July 01, 2010, 11:08 AM

Welcome Momma Smiley
     Reply #18 - July 01, 2010, 11:11 AM

lol, thanks Aurora. I have 3 of my own (along with ferrets, chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and fish Cheesy) plus I foster for the Cats Protection Smiley

Did I say I like you? No no, I meant I love you!

Canyougivemeoneplease?
     Reply #19 - July 01, 2010, 11:13 AM

Me too. My cat needs a playmate.

fuck you
     Reply #20 - July 01, 2010, 11:14 AM

Cheesy Cheesy

I'm known to many as the mad cat lady, but tbh, I like nearly all animals! My one exception is snakes!! They're evil!! They were cast out of the garden for a reason y'know Cheesy

And I have one lonely little boy in my cat pen just now looking for a home Wink

Tiocfaidh ar la.
     Reply #21 - July 01, 2010, 11:15 AM

Hey there Momma
    Are you by chance, building an Ark?

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #22 - July 01, 2010, 11:16 AM

Unfortunately, my parents don't like animals in the house. So I'll just try to volunteer at an animal shelter.

Snakes are lovely, kinda boring though.
     Reply #23 - July 01, 2010, 11:20 AM

Hey there Momma
    Are you by chance, building an Ark?

Cheesy
    Never hurts to be prepared Afro Cheesy

Tbh, I prefer animals to people most of the time, they give unconditional love  grin12

Tiocfaidh ar la.
     Reply #24 - July 01, 2010, 11:23 AM

Heya momma,  far away hug, cats are awesome.
     Reply #25 - July 01, 2010, 11:33 AM

Tbh, I prefer animals to people most of the time, they give unconditional love  grin12

Not completely unconditional. Gotta feed em when they're hungry or else they're pains in the ass.

My cat would wake me up in the morning meowing his head off 2-3 hours before my alarm was set to go off. I'd reach down by the futon and throw one of my shoes in his direction (not to hit him, but just to scare him off)-- that fucker can wait until I wake up.

Lately he's been better about it and only wakes me up maybe an hour or 30 min before my alarm is set to wake me up, so now I just wake up, feed him, and go back to bed until my alarm goes off.

But now he's fucking with me I think. After I've fed him and go back to bed, and he's done eating he starts meowing again, and I partly raise out of my bed and say "Now what the fuck do you want?"--not in a loud, angry way but more a groggy annoyed way-- then he immediately runs upstairs. It's like he's thinking "Yeah, throw shoes at me motherfucker? Now I'm gonna wake you up even when I don't need to be fed. Take that, fucker!"

He's cool as shit, though.

fuck you
     Reply #26 - July 01, 2010, 11:42 AM

This show you can't mess with kitties, Q. They fight back.  Tongue
     Reply #27 - July 01, 2010, 11:57 AM

animal owners, feed the animals after yourself, then you in charge.
     Reply #28 - July 01, 2010, 11:59 AM

Yeah, that works with dogs, but not cats. Cats do what the fuck they want.

fuck you
     Reply #29 - July 01, 2010, 11:59 AM

Not completely unconditional. Gotta feed em when they're hungry or else they're pains in the ass.

My cat would wake me up in the morning meowing his head off 2-3 hours before my alarm was set to go off. I'd reach down by the futon and throw one of my shoes in his direction (not to hit him, but just to scare him off)-- that fucker can wait until I wake up.

Lately he's been better about it and only wakes me up maybe an hour or 30 min before my alarm is set to wake me up, so now I just wake up, feed him, and go back to bed until my alarm goes off.

But now he's fucking with me I think. After I've fed him and go back to bed, and he's done eating he starts meowing again, and I partly raise out of my bed and say "Now what the fuck do you want?"--not in a loud, angry way but more a groggy annoyed way-- then he immediately runs upstairs. It's like he's thinking "Yeah, throw shoes at me motherfucker? Now I'm gonna wake you up even when I don't need to be fed. Take that, fucker!"

He's cool as shit, though.

And that is why I love cats Cheesy They think, other animals just do. One of mine can open doors, and if you try to have a lazy morning he will open the bedroom door and yowl at you until you get up and feed him, sheer genius.

And yes, you gotta feed them, but that's it really, for that they will try to kill you on the stairs by wining round your ankles, sit on your neck on a hot summers day like a scarf, lie across your keyboard when you HAVE to get that email sent off, and take off round the house for a mad half hour every evening.

Whereas my kids, you feed 'em, do their laundry, act like a taxi service, nurse, maid, teacher etc, and they fight, argue, make mess, and give you grief. If only I'd had the animals before the kids  Cheesy

Tiocfaidh ar la.
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »