Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Women's NGOs around the world

(Read 7309 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Women's NGOs around the world
     OP - June 21, 2010, 02:25 PM

General women's NGO guide:

http://library.duke.edu/research/subject/guides/ngo_guide/ngo_links/women.html

Arab Women's Solidarity Association

http://www.awsa.net/

Request to pin

fuck you
  • Re: Women's NGOs around the world
     Reply #1 - June 21, 2010, 02:32 PM

Good idea Q. The mods were just talking about setting up a page/article with this kind of info from around the world.

Members, please add any resources that you know of that could help women escaping abuse/violence and religious fundamentalism.

Please put the city/region/country near the top for any resources you post here so we can sort them in the document(s) we are creating.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #2 - June 21, 2010, 02:54 PM

Thanks,

FYI I just tried e-mailing AWSA and the e-mail came back as undeliverable. So I don't know if they have a different e-mail, there's some kind of glitch or the organization itself is defunct, but I'm working on finding out. When I have more info, I will post here.

fuck you
     Reply #3 - June 21, 2010, 04:03 PM

This is a great thread -- I've been looking into trying to set something like this up, a shelter of sorts. Most of the ones I know about are to help women who have been sold into prostitution escape, though there is a few others. There need to be more. I am still very much in the beginning stages thought -- anyone interested in helping me take on this project?
     Reply #4 - June 21, 2010, 04:06 PM

Where are you located, zoomi? And do you mind posting an intro thread? I don't think you ever did and I'm sure we'd all like to know more about you.

I may be willing to help out in setting up some kind of a shelter. I'm an excellent organizer, but honestly, for something like that I wouldn't know where to begin. Would probably also want to recruit someone who has experience grant-writing.

fuck you
     Reply #5 - June 21, 2010, 04:39 PM

Q-Man for President! Afro Afro Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - June 21, 2010, 07:01 PM

Where are you located, zoomi? And do you mind posting an intro thread? I don't think you ever did and I'm sure we'd all like to know more about you.

I may be willing to help out in setting up some kind of a shelter. I'm an excellent organizer, but honestly, for something like that I wouldn't know where to begin. Would probably also want to recruit someone who has experience grant-writing.

I do have experience grant writing, and also in setting up community programs -- I volunteered in Ghana for awhile doing that sort of thing. That was more geared towards AIDS prevention and various childrens programs and orphanages though. The thing is, I don't want to rely on grant money or donations, or at least only for the very first set-up cost -- I'm more working on making this sort of a self-sustaining venture. I've done some preliminary research and planning on this, though I've been looking into partnering with some existing organizations which is difficult, and also difficult to really get moving until I'm actually in the country I want to work in for an extended period of time, which is difficult given I am just starting my masters. Buut I'm still plugging away at it and am open to ideas.
     Reply #7 - June 21, 2010, 07:02 PM

And I've been refraining from posting an intro thread because I prefer to be anonymous -- I like it when people don't know who I am or where I am coming from, lest they stereotype me Wink

But if you all will feel more comfortable, I will make an intro post. To come.
     Reply #8 - June 21, 2010, 07:14 PM

The thing is, I don't want to rely on grant money or donations, or at least only for the very first set-up cost -- I'm more working on making this sort of a self-sustaining venture.

How do you make a charitable organization "self-sustaining"? I mean a dues-based membership organization or a not-for-profit/non-profit business that sells shit I could see, but, well-- what do you have in mind exactly?

I've done some preliminary research and planning on this, though I've been looking into partnering with some existing organizations which is difficult, and also difficult to really get moving until I'm actually in the country I want to work in for an extended period of time, which is difficult given I am just starting my masters. Buut I'm still plugging away at it and am open to ideas.

Well, let me know what you've got worked out in terms of plans so far, and I'll let you know if I think I could be of any assistance.

Masters in what?

And I've been refraining from posting an intro thread because I prefer to be anonymous -- I like it when people don't know who I am or where I am coming from, lest they stereotype me Wink

But if you all will feel more comfortable, I will make an intro post. To come.

This is one of the places you are least likely to be stereotyped by the membership-- well, unless we want to make fun of ya Smiley Some of us like using stereotypes just to bust each others' stones in a good-natured fashion. But genuine stereotyping and prejudice? Not here, really.

Even just some basic stuff would be nice-- age, where you from/where you live, sex/gender, religious background/current religious beliefs, etc. Just nice to have a basic idea of the person you're communicating with.

fuck you
     Reply #9 - June 21, 2010, 07:45 PM

It's a long story about how the organization I have in mind will be self-sustaining, though it is more geared towards helping women in third-world (mostly Islamic) countries escape 1) abusive relationships/forced marriages 2) women who have been sold into prostitution 3) women who have been raped, or are under threat of an "honour killing," or related situations. Essentially it is a combination program involving several faucets, including not-for-profit selling of goods, but also education, and training women to become community workers or become self-sustaining in society. It will also be modelled on western eco-village principles. Anyway I've done enough rambling about it, I'll let ya know what I come up with  Afro
     Reply #10 - June 21, 2010, 07:46 PM

(P.s. just posted an intro...)
     Reply #11 - June 21, 2010, 07:59 PM

I'll let ya know what I come up with  Afro

Yes, please do. Sounds like a good idea, I'd just need some more details in order for me to wrap my head around it better, particularly the funding part and how the services you're talking about would be done exactly. I've been an organizer for many years, so like I said, you get a framework together and I'm happy to look at it and give some input.

(P.s. just posted an intro...)

Yeah, I saw it, thanks. Now I know your z10's wife I think maybe you're too hip, cool and good-looking to talk with.  worship

fuck you
     Reply #12 - June 22, 2010, 04:38 AM

Yeah, I saw it, thanks. Now I know your z10's wife I think maybe you're too hip, cool and good-looking to talk with.  worship

+1 Damn that bohemian, damn him and his Hugo Boss socks.
     Reply #13 - June 22, 2010, 05:38 AM

Good idea Q. The mods were just talking about setting up a page/article with this kind of info from around the world.

Members, please add any resources that you know of that could help women people escaping abuse/violence and religious fundamentalism.

Please put the city/region/country near the top for any resources you post here so we can sort them in the document(s) we are creating.

Oi! Ahem. Fixed it for you. Tongue

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #14 - June 22, 2010, 10:03 AM

Are you suggesting women are people too? mysmilie_977

Afro

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #15 - June 22, 2010, 10:12 AM

No. Perish the thought. Wherever did you get such a preposterous notion?

I was suggesting that if we are going to provide resources for those in need there is no reason why they should be listed as being for one sex only, and several good reasons why they should not.

Reply #16 - June 22, 2010, 10:20 AM

i think the idea is that women who have suffered abuse/opression at the hands of men are much more likely too feel safe and comfortable in a women-only environment - i think this the case a lot of the time

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #17 - June 22, 2010, 10:24 AM

Yeah sure. I'm saying that we should also provide resources that are not limited to one sex.

Reply #18 - June 23, 2010, 06:07 PM

No. Perish the thought. Wherever did you get such a preposterous notion?

I was suggesting that if we are going to provide resources for those in need there is no reason why they should be listed as being for one sex only, and several good reasons why they should not.

Thanks dude, you rock 13

I guess I never really thought about the fact that there might be a man in an Islamic society who would have problems of this sort, though now that you mention it, especially homosexuals might face persecution and be in need of services. Also men who are being held against their will (like, duh, z10 about 3 years ago). Cheers for catching that.
     Reply #19 - June 23, 2010, 06:10 PM

Haha, and I can assure you I am neither hip, nor cool, and defo not good looking so don't worry about it Wink
     Reply #20 - June 23, 2010, 08:09 PM

Thanks dude, you rock 13

I guess I never really thought about the fact that there might be a man in an Islamic society who would have problems of this sort, though now that you mention it, especially homosexuals might face persecution and be in need of services. Also men who are being held against their will (like, duh, z10 about 3 years ago). Cheers for catching that.

Exactly.

Reply #21 - October 13, 2012, 06:52 PM

First link in the OP is kaput. Destickying.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »