Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim councilor gets death threats over 'western' appearance

(Read 3182 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim councilor gets death threats over 'western' appearance
     OP - May 19, 2010, 04:58 PM

Muslim councilor  gets  death threats over 'western' appearance

Shiria Khatun says she has adapted the way she dresses after receiving death threats, but will continue to work at Tower Hamlets council

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23812965-western-dress-led-to-death-threats.do

Shiria Khatun, a Labour councillor in Tower Hamlets, said she was called on her work mobile three weeks ago by a man speaking in Sylheti, a dialect of Bengali.

“He threatened to exhume my parents' bodies and put me in there so I just put the phone down,” she said.

Ms Khatun, 38, called in police after the man rang a week later and threatened her four children. Detectives gave her an alarm and increased patrols around the route her children take to school.

The councillor says the harassment began 18 months ago and has included late night obscene phone calls from a number of men and cars following her in the street.

“No ward resident ever complained about how I dressed, but I heard from my female colleagues and friends that some people were criticising me for wearing jeans and skirts,” she said.

She now wears loose Asian clothes to social and ward functions and has swapped her contact lenses for thick glasses. She still wears western clothes to her job in an employment charity and to council meetings in the evenings.

Ms Khatun said the threats made her re-consider her political career, but added: “After getting a lot of support from my friends I have decided to stay on.”

The Met police said it was investigating “an allegation of harassment via telecommunication, made on 26 February”.

That is how Muhammad's Islam works through Muslim Robots and Muslim Baboons to interfere personal issues of people  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: Muslim councilor gets death threats over 'western' appearance
     Reply #1 - May 19, 2010, 05:01 PM

Tower Hamlets, what a surprise.   Roll Eyes

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - May 19, 2010, 05:52 PM

Things are turning around in Tower Hamlets, at least for now. The IFE have been defeated and purged, and Shiria Khatun gets a mention as well.

http://hurryupharry.org/2010/05/19/a-new-start-in-tower-hamlets/

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - May 19, 2010, 05:58 PM

That 'Dispatches' program by Andrew Gilligan about the IFE weeks before the election was great. grin12

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #4 - May 19, 2010, 06:09 PM

Yeah, he had them on the run  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - May 19, 2010, 06:48 PM

Shiria Khatun says she has adapted the way she dresses after receiving death threats, but will continue to work at Tower Hamlets council  

Would have been much cooler if she walked into the middle of the borough with body armor and an L85 and said "Well, then-- bring it, bitches!"

fuck you
     Reply #6 - May 29, 2010, 10:35 PM

This stuff has been going on here for a while - another councillor , Rania Khan had similar experiences during the election , and our new MP Rushnara Ali has had some grief from the vile MPAC . The good news is that both Khan & Khatun were reelected with increased majorities , as was Jim Fitzpatrick .Hopefully the election results represent a sae change in Tower Hamlets , but I think it's a bit premature to talk about the IFE being wiped out - they might have lost their grip on the council but they're still running the mosque and their influence runs pretty deep .
     As for Respect , seeing them not just beaten but actually humiliated ( third place behind the tories George!) was definitely the highlight of the election for me , but I'm not sure we're completely rid of them yet . There are afew politicians in TH who've been darting back and forward between the Labour Party and Respect over the past few years and many of them have been sympathetic to the IFE and/or involved in the corruption and cronyism that's been endemic here for years ....and then there's the fact that Gorgeous George is still hanging about , like an annoying party guest that just won't go home . It looks almost certain that he's going to stand for the new post of elected mayor , and he's also said he''ll stand at the general election if/when the coalition government collapses
     Reply #7 - May 29, 2010, 11:29 PM

Thanks aife, for your insight. Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #8 - June 20, 2010, 12:00 AM

That guy must be very brave to threaten a woman and children!

what a tosser
     Reply #9 - June 20, 2010, 10:05 PM

Such incidents occur in East London very often and a lot of women have to deal with such harassment, it's a sad state but unfortunately it has become the norm at in that area. 

But its great that she has remained a councilor despite the problems, it will teach the fools that their threatening tactics won't stop women from expressing themselves.

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #10 - June 20, 2010, 11:31 PM

Are you kidding me? Thats just ridiculous!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »