Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How do you handle depression?

(Read 101328 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: How do you handle depression?
     Reply #60 - August 05, 2010, 11:43 PM

Stardust, it definitely sounds like you are experiencing depression.  As Ephemeral said, the best thing to do is to talk about your feelings with a close friend or family member who you feel comfortable with.  

I have struggled with depression for most of my life and recently found out that it runs in both sides of my family so I know how it feels and yes, being able to pick up the phone and to vent either to a friend or my dad, etc. after having a bad day has proven to be very helpful.  I usually feel much better and relaxed once I've been able to let my feelings out.  

Do be careful in who you choose to discuss your feelings with as some people might not understand or 'get' depression and there is still a lot of misinformation and cultural biases regarding depression out there.  I once got told by a North African friend of mine that 'depression doesn't exist and that it is a Western concept.'  I really wanted to reach through the phone and strangle here when she said that!  finmad

If you EVER get to the point of self-harm or suicidal thoughts however GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!  I'm not kidding!  I struggled with cutting and suicidal thoughts throughout my latter teen years and my mom refused to believe that I had anything more than 'teen angst' until I went to our doctor and told her about my feelings.  She agreed right away that I had more than 'teen angst' and put me on a low dose of Paxil (this was in the mid-late '90s).  After a few days I was feeling much better.

Also, going to talk therapy may help.  If you can find a good therapist they will give you some tools to help you sort out your feelings.  Journaling is very good for this type of thing.

Hope you feel better soon!  far away hug

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #61 - August 05, 2010, 11:59 PM

I'll second most of what the others have advised but whatever you do stardust, please don't revert to Islam.  wacko

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #62 - August 06, 2010, 12:04 AM

Stardust, hugs

I hope you feel better soon.

I am reluctant to give advice because I'm not an expert.  What I will say is that I can relate to your feelings and the way I tend to deal with my problems is to geek up on the topic (LOL!).

While I'm at it, here's a couple of videos about depression:  (you might have watched them already)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-waYj1otvhY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMWV6BIvTIc

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #63 - August 06, 2010, 12:05 AM

sd,

All I can say is I know where you're coming from.

fuck you
     Reply #64 - August 06, 2010, 12:07 AM

Journaling is very good for this type of thing.

I second this. Journalling does help a lot. I'm doing it atm when everything just sort of caves in on me. Writing stuff down is really therapeutic, whether it's creative writing/prose/poetry or thoughts, feelings, and a diary of sorts.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #65 - August 06, 2010, 12:12 AM

I was reading through the older posts, some really good advice from people. Think I'll follow through with some of those.

I don't really know what advice to give you besides...that it might be helpful just to talk with someone about all of this. Every aspect. It doesn't have to be a professional...it could be a friend, I don't know, but with me when I had issues, I always held it in. I've been doing that since I was little. I laugh stuff off, tell myself i'm fine, and believe it for a while and slowly everything is contained within for a period of time...until I can't sustain it. Even now that i'm just talking to people around me, it doesn't always help but for that moment at least I feel better.

As for your room...I completely understand. Several months ago when I was just ready to organize my life and just think positively I finally cleaned out every inch of my room (which I was avoiding and could not bring myself to do), now that mindset is creeping back up on me, but you always have to have some goal or perspective in mind to drive you. It helps.

Atm you're sort of in a transitional phase i'd say, stuck in some limbo between one step in life and another.

I don't really know what to say past that.

Tell someone.  Free your mind, talk about it, figure out why? What's causing it? Sometimes we can overcome our own issues, I find. And if not, then you really should go see someone. Depression isn't something to be treated lightly, and it can get worse. Sometimes You're just stuck there and you don't know why at all. My mother had this issue and eventually she overcame it as well. It was hard watching. Sometimes life will just move in a way that helps.

:S

Thanks Eph  far away hug

I don't have any friends close enough to talk to about this, other than my ex, but he has a lot of problems of his own to deal with. I definitely can't talk to family about it, they wouldn't understand.

@Iblis: That's a good question, hmm nothing comes to mind straight away, but that's something I could ponder on.

@Nour: Mm, I don't think my (very few) friends would get it, they're more likely to tell me to just get over it, but they're not close friends and I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to them. Journaling sounds like a great idea, I did start that before, but I didn't keep it up and forgot about it.

Thanks Smiley

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #66 - August 06, 2010, 12:19 AM

I'll second most of what the others have advised but whatever you do stardust, please don't revert to Islam.  wacko

Oh, no, don't worry about that. lol, never going back to islam.

Stardust, hugs

I hope you feel better soon.

I am reluctant to give advice because I'm not an expert.  What I will say is that I can relate to your feelings and the way I tend to deal with my problems is to geek up on the topic (LOL!).

While I'm at it, here's a couple of videos about depression:  (you might have watched them already)

Thanks ateapotist, I'm going to look at those now. I have looked at videos before on depression, trying to understand it, havn't seen those before, thanks.

sd,

All I can say is I know where you're coming from.

far away hug

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #67 - August 06, 2010, 12:29 AM

Cool, I got an e-hug from a hot chick. Life is just a little less shitty than I was thinking it was a few minutes ago.  Smiley

I'm sliding back into the depths myself lately, so I can definitely empathize with you. When I finally beat it, I'll give you advice, but until then I'll just say I know what you're going through and  lipsrsealed leave it at that.

Best of luck to you, sd. And I guess just remember you're wicked hot and wicked smart, so those are two advantages you got that most people don't. Yeah, I know that won't make you feel that much better and lift you out of your depression and boredom, but it should at least make you feel a little better. Wink

fuck you
     Reply #68 - August 06, 2010, 12:39 AM

How do you handle depression?

Eat..Drink.. and sleep and get up early morning work hard on anything that you do, it doesn't matter what you do. But do it hard and do your best..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #69 - August 06, 2010, 12:48 AM

Dr. Yeez has spoken.

fuck you
     Reply #70 - August 06, 2010, 12:51 AM

Cool, I got an e-hug from a hot chick. Life is just a little less shitty than I was thinking it was a few minutes ago.  Smiley

I'm sliding back into the depths myself lately, so I can definitely empathize with you. When I finally beat it, I'll give you advice, but until then I'll just say I know what you're going through and  lipsrsealed leave it at that.

Best of luck to you, sd. And I guess just remember you're wicked hot and wicked smart, so those are two advantages you got that most people don't. Yeah, I know that won't make you feel that much better and lift you out of your depression and boredom, but it should at least make you feel a little better. Wink

Q-man, you can always make me smile Smiley Thanks for that.

Worse thing about it, is that depression isn't a tangible thing, makes it all the more despairing. I hope you feel better soon.

Those videos were good ateapotist, I feel a bit better after watching that. I'm not sure I agree with him entirely though.

Reply #71 - August 06, 2010, 05:47 AM

Stardust,

I was in the same exact position less than a year ago. It's not uncommon for people to go through existential depression at this age, especially gifted people who feel that they want something more out of life. Do you feel that you identify with this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_giftedness

The most important thing to do is control your depression and not let it control you. Turn it into energy and be creative with it. Experiment with things. Discover yourself. There were so many things I wanted to do and I felt there wasn't enough time to the point that it made me depressed. And that's how it's so ironic: your depression will make you feel dull and shiftless and that you don't want to do anything. Don't let that happen to you. Always fight it. Be productive. As soon as you're productive, you feel much happier and forget about your depression. Never give in.

And you should definitely talk to people about it. You'd be surprised how many people relate and are more than willing to help. Don't keep it to yourself. And if you're in university, talk to your academic counselor if it's affecting your studies. Academic counselors are there exactly for that purpose, and they're very helpful. Don't find that out too late.

Don't put yourself down and assume that people don't care and that you're burdening them with your problems. That's not true at all. A lot of people love to help. So even if it takes looking at yourself in the mirror and telling yourself you're awesome so many times till you get it, do it.

I also understand how you feel about your room. The way my room is always affects my mood. Just take it easy and you can make an event out of cleaning it and make it fun. Take it slowly. Tidy up while listening to music. Maybe invite a friend over to help you clean up. Don't be afraid of getting closer to people.
     Reply #72 - August 06, 2010, 07:17 AM

stardust,

When did you start feeling like this? After your relationship split or did these thoughts linger before then?
     Reply #73 - August 06, 2010, 07:46 PM

far away hug
    I posted some things earlier in the thread that might help, but I know it can be hard. Not feeling great myself lately. let me know if there is anything I can do.
     Reply #74 - August 06, 2010, 08:41 PM

Thought I'd post here as it's been stickied.

Note: Just me talking about my sadness, I can't really talk to anyone about this. I don't want to burden any particular person with this either.

I think I may have depression. I'm not sure. I don't really want to go to the doctors, particularly because of the profession I want to go into. I hope I can just over come this. There's no particular reason for me to be this way either, I don't get it.

Life seems dull to me, I can't remember the last time I truely felt happy.

I'm always stuck in this frame of mind, of this feeling of emptiness, confusion, wondering about the point of life. Feelings like I've fallen and I can't get back up, trying though, but it feels impossible. Impossible to be on top of everything, to feel like i'm in control of my life again. Impossible to find momentum in life and I don't know why.

My room being a mess is pissing me off at the back of my mind. That's something I'll attend to tomorrow, but it seems impossible to get it tidy enough. I'd need days on it, and then I lose the drive, get fed up and it never gets tidied fully. Some how tidying my room and feeling it's orderly is really important to feel im in control of my life too. I just wish it could also stay tidy, and not have to always end up with a mess and have to do this big task all the time.

I wish I where like those cheerful people, I can't even fake it, if i'm down, people know I'm down.

Everything seems dull - Like I can't see the importance in things anymore, things people talk about, i find it hard to engage most times.

I feel inadequate in every aspect of my life as well, I have very little confidence in myself to do anything.

I would find it difficult to get out of bed, sometimes still do, I'd rather not wake up to reality.

It started months ago and become worse over time, like finding almost everything dull now. I'm fighting it, but sometimes I want to just give up, because the presence of that darkness is strong.

Seriously, it's time you saw a quack.  I've struggled all my life with it, the bi-polar form, and I always felt abnormal about it to the extent that I never sought help when I needed it.  It's cost me so much in my life, I just wish I'd sorted it out when I was young and not let it blight my life.
    As it turned out, in my late 50s , I stopped caring about what people thought and saw a psycho and it was the best thing I ever did. The right medication, a low dose of b-blockers in my case, have stopped my manicos altogether and levelled my depressions.
    My father had 6 lots of ECT and was rescued from attempted suicide and most of his family were affected in some way. My maternal grandma once tried to murder someone in a butchers shop one day in the throes of a delusionary attack and was only prevented when the butcher grabbed the knife off her. she was arrested but never charged.
    My own life has lurched from the ridiculous to the sublime in approx 3 year cycles until I went onto the blockers.  Even so, every Winter I sink into the exact state that you've just described and the only thing that touches it is a couple of weeks in the Canaries sunshine in November.
    I'd strongly advise you to talk to your GP before it fucks your life up completely.  There's a lot of support out there nowadays.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #75 - August 06, 2010, 10:16 PM

SJL - get a SAD light for winters and a winter alarm clock which simulates the light coming up in the morning, it will help.
     Reply #76 - August 06, 2010, 10:16 PM

I am feeling a little low atm too, Summer on Holiday and Boredom and lack of motivation to do anything.
     Reply #77 - August 06, 2010, 11:07 PM

Seriously, it's time you saw a quack.

...or rather a proper doctor. grin12

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #78 - August 07, 2010, 12:15 AM

Stardust,

I was in the same exact position less than a year ago. It's not uncommon for people to go through existential depression at this age, especially gifted people who feel that they want something more out of life. Do you feel that you identify with this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_giftedness

The most important thing to do is control your depression and not let it control you. Turn it into energy and be creative with it. Experiment with things. Discover yourself. There were so many things I wanted to do and I felt there wasn't enough time to the point that it made me depressed. And that's how it's so ironic: your depression will make you feel dull and shiftless and that you don't want to do anything. Don't let that happen to you. Always fight it. Be productive. As soon as you're productive, you feel much happier and forget about your depression. Never give in.

And you should definitely talk to people about it. You'd be surprised how many people relate and are more than willing to help. Don't keep it to yourself. And if you're in university, talk to your academic counselor if it's affecting your studies. Academic counselors are there exactly for that purpose, and they're very helpful. Don't find that out too late.

Don't put yourself down and assume that people don't care and that you're burdening them with your problems. That's not true at all. A lot of people love to help. So even if it takes looking at yourself in the mirror and telling yourself you're awesome so many times till you get it, do it.

I also understand how you feel about your room. The way my room is always affects my mood. Just take it easy and you can make an event out of cleaning it and make it fun. Take it slowly. Tidy up while listening to music. Maybe invite a friend over to help you clean up. Don't be afraid of getting closer to people.

Hi Abood,

That's how I would feel too, during the last year of university.

Nah, I don't think It's to do with giftedness, I don't have that.

Although I have slight perfection issues. If I feel like I can't do something 'right' or not enough time to work on it to make it 'right' then I would find it difficult to even try at it. Most time end up avoiding things because of that. I used to have more confidence and focus on work so that wasn't an issue before. The focus went when I started to feel 'normal' i.e. rather than a nerd, I used to be so work orientated, then I took off the scarf, had a proper haircut at the shops for the first time, started experimenting with make up more, and clothes (-couldn't buy clothes I liked or any make up because up until uni I was only allowed out shopping with parents) and generally looking after my body better.

I thought about when this started. Around the time this emptiness started was when I made the decision not to do a PhD, before that point I had always thought I'd become a scientist, taken it as granted almost, but it was based on a false idealised verison of what I believed being a scientist was about. 4th year university, gave me a better idea of what real physicists do, and I didn't find it interesting, it could've been just that area of physics, but I choose that topic because it came across as most interesting out of what was avaliable.

I think it worse because of the added break up of the relationship, all the changes that has happened over this last year, and cold feet about moving out and the pgce course.

Maybe it's a kind of grief I'm going through, the loss of the possible future. I feel much better today though, i've tidied my room, well half way through, it looks much better already. Going to finish it off tomorrow.

far away hug
    Thanks Zoomi, I read your previous post, I think it's great and I'll be employing some of the things you've mentioned, such as exercising, decided to go jogging daily once I've moved and without parents knowing.

Reply #79 - August 07, 2010, 12:21 AM

Thanks SJL, but I think it's a circumstantial depression. I just need to get in control of my life again.

I am feeling a little low atm too, Summer on Holiday and Boredom and lack of motivation to do anything.

far away hug I think I get like that also because of the holiday.

Reply #80 - August 07, 2010, 01:02 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but I felt a little bit of depression when I finished school.  A large chunk of my life was dedicated to rote learning and schooling and I got depressed when I thought " what am I going to do now? "

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #81 - August 07, 2010, 07:32 AM

Stardust,

It doesn't sound like you have chronic depression; life changes can be very stressful at times and that seems to be true for you too. I  always thought I wanted to become a clinical psychologist(CL) and then, last year, I realised it wasn't something I wanted to do. I had started my degree course with a career as a CL and I got very low because I was stuck doing a course and not knowing what to do with it. I lost my drive to the extent I wanted to give it up. You don't need to be diagnosed with depression or think there is something really wrong with you if you want to go see a counsellor. You will probably just need to have half a dozen or so, of sessions and you'll 'feel better'.

Depression doesn't need to be a chronic cycle. You do not necessarily need drugs to bring your mood up because a current mood can be simply reflective of life events. But it could also be the start of something a bit more than a low mood if not addressed, even if you think you're over it soon enough. You risk something more serious happening the next time you find yourself in a difficult decision in life.
     Reply #82 - August 07, 2010, 07:49 AM

...or rather a proper doctor. grin12

Sorry about the colloquialism.

Reply #83 - August 07, 2010, 07:58 AM

SJL - get a SAD light for winters and a winter alarm clock which simulates the light coming up in the morning, it will help.

A good idea if you're able to stand light/dark contrasts. I've tried a SAD light and it gives me cracking headaches.

Reply #84 - August 07, 2010, 08:26 AM

Since I was depressed myself, I will tell you what worked for me:

1) Meds.
    The first time I was depressed I made the mistake of not wanting meds. It took me years to recover.
    The second time I gave up and took meds, and I recovered very quickly.
    Yay for chemistry!
    Since I was depressed myself, I will tell you what worked for me:

1) Meds.
    The first time I was depressed I made the mistake of not wanting meds. It took me years to recover.
    The second time I gave up and took meds, and I recovered very quickly.
    Yay for chemistry!

2) Fitness. Sport. Fatigue.
    Lately I can stay very happy and stable by working out, lifting weights, swimming.
    The more I "destroy" my body with physical fatigue, the better my brain feels.
    So I try to work out and swim 1km at least every other day, even if initially my mind does not feel like it ;P

That's all ^_^

I know what you mean. When I was younger I used to have manicos, I loved them; I used to live 3 lives simultaneously; there was never enough time for sleep but plenty for 20 mile runs. I always came home with a story to write or a sketch to draw, fully formed during the run - love those endorphins.
    But in between, when the dreaded downer eventually came my life would unravel like a ball of string and everything would get tangled up and anything I had achieved during my manico, like a first in Zoology, would be destroyed by immobilisation.
     I was Icarus on speed.
    I was about 35 when I fully realised there was something wrong with me and I spent the next 20 years covering it up by trying to think my own way out of the worst manifestations. I should have sought help then.
    As I've said already, I was 55 and old enough not to give a damn, before I went for help and got it.
    Do any of you get extra creative when you're feeling high?

Again: Fuck the quote function.

2) Fitness. Sport. Fatigue.
    Lately I can stay very happy and stable by working out, lifting weights, swimming.
    The more I "destroy" my body with physical fatigue, the better my brain feels.
    So I try to work out and swim 1km at least every other day, even if initially my mind does not feel like it ;P

That's all ^_^

Reply #85 - August 07, 2010, 08:35 AM

That is so weird, the singing I mean. I never understood that.

Every language has its own way of singing speech. Call it PRIPS: Pronunciation; Rhythm; Intonation; Pitch; Stress (on syllables).

Reply #86 - August 07, 2010, 08:43 AM

I second this. Journalling does help a lot. I'm doing it atm when everything just sort of caves in on me. Writing stuff down is really therapeutic, whether it's creative writing/prose/poetry or thoughts, feelings, and a diary of sorts.

+1

Reply #87 - August 07, 2010, 08:51 AM

Thanks SJL, but I think it's a circumstantial depression. I just need to get in control of my life again.

far away hug I think I get like that also because of the holiday.

I hope you're right.  I think we humans need goals and purpose. Sounds like you've hit some sort of hiatus and when you've decided what your next step should be, you'll become motivated again.

Reply #88 - August 07, 2010, 09:39 PM

I thought about when this started. Around the time this emptiness started was when I made the decision not to do a PhD, before that point I had always thought I'd become a scientist, taken it as granted almost, but it was based on a false idealised verison of what I believed being a scientist was about. 4th year university, gave me a better idea of what real physicists do, and I didn't find it interesting, it could've been just that area of physics, but I choose that topic because it came across as most interesting out of what was avaliable.

I think it worse because of the added break up of the relationship, all the changes that has happened over this last year, and cold feet about moving out and the pgce course.

Maybe it's a kind of grief I'm going through, the loss of the possible future. I feel much better today though, i've tidied my room, well half way through, it looks much better already. Going to finish it off tomorrow.

I actually became depressed for the same reasons: I lost direction in my life, and it was triggered by girl troubles (isn't it always? Lol). But you can turn it into something positive. Try to express yourself using different means and find yourself. It has the double advantage of making you less depressed and also taking up your time and thus avoiding thinking about your depression. The worst thing to do when depressed is to think about how depressed you are.

And I just remembered this song, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHOCjG_8ajo
     Reply #89 - August 07, 2010, 11:46 PM

Stardust,

It doesn't sound like you have chronic depression; life changes can be very stressful at times and that seems to be true for you too. I  always thought I wanted to become a clinical psychologist(CL) and then, last year, I realised it wasn't something I wanted to do. I had started my degree course with a career as a CL and I got very low because I was stuck doing a course and not knowing what to do with it. I lost my drive to the extent I wanted to give it up. You don't need to be diagnosed with depression or think there is something really wrong with you if you want to go see a counsellor. You will probably just need to have half a dozen or so, of sessions and you'll 'feel better'.

Yeah, I think it was due to a lot of changes, and wow! tidying my room has seriously lifted my mood. I think like Eph said cleaning my room is almost like signifying moving on with my life, stepping into a new phase and getting ready for the future. A cleansing both physically and mentally.

I have thought of counsellors, and I'm not afraid of trying that, but I preferred to really address it myself and talking with people before taking that option. I think most people do go through depression at certain points in their lives, I guess that was one of mine. I do really think I've passed that low mood, but I'll give it a week to confim.

I actually became depressed for the same reasons: I lost direction in my life, and it was triggered by girl troubles (isn't it always? Lol). But you can turn it into something positive. Try to express yourself using different means and find yourself. It has the double advantage of making you less depressed and also taking up your time and thus avoiding thinking about your depression. The worst thing to do when depressed is to think about how depressed you are.

And I just remembered this song, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHOCjG_8ajo

Thanks for that, the lyrics were intersting, and resonated with me a bit. I did lose myself for a long time, when I got into the relationship, it took a few months to start finding myself again and it wasn't just because of the relationship, but because of all the changes too. Loss of religion, more confidence in standing up to parents, new personal style, sexual confidence, learning more about 'who i am' etc.

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »