Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How do you handle depression?

(Read 100927 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 9 10 1112 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How do you handle depression?
     Reply #300 - March 20, 2016, 01:32 PM

You're an inspiration.  far away hug

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #301 - March 21, 2016, 12:23 AM

AGirlWithDoubts..... I understand , my life was just a constantly pulling down, like gravity itself wanted me out of the way. I like to say I'm better with years of therapy and pills, but it's still there and it's been a struggle. I hope things will change for me and you, that things would get better, I want to risk it, risk the depression, risk the hurt, put all my all my money all my life on the bet that maybe, just maybe things would eventually change. Because now I can look people in the eye and I could have never done that before. I can speak and let my voice heard when I used to curl away from everything, It's not going to be easy, it will hurt every step but the little changes will come. You won't feel like they're accomplishments but they are. So look at every little thing that you can do right now that you couldn't a week ago, really look, dont compare yourself to other, instead to yourself from before. You change bit by bit. I don't know how long it will take to be completely happy, but I can now allow myself some moments. To me that's a victory. I will but my life on this bet, Maybe just maybe I can get there. I believe that you can too. I won't lie, it will be hard, and it will take a long time, and you'll lose belief in yourself, but you will get to a better place. Even for a little while. I think it's worth it.

This is lovely and accurate and very descriptive.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #302 - March 21, 2016, 09:53 AM

AGirlWithDoubts..... I understand , my life was just a constantly pulling down, like gravity itself wanted me out of the way. I like to say I'm better with years of therapy and pills, but it's still there and it's been a struggle. I hope things will change for me and you, that things would get better, I want to risk it, risk the depression, risk the hurt, put all my all my money all my life on the bet that maybe, just maybe things would eventually change. Because now I can look people in the eye and I could have never done that before. I can speak and let my voice heard when I used to curl away from everything, It's not going to be easy, it will hurt every step but the little changes will come. You won't feel like they're accomplishments but they are. So look at every little thing that you can do right now that you couldn't a week ago, really look, dont compare yourself to other, instead to yourself from before. You change bit by bit. I don't know how long it will take to be completely happy, but I can now allow myself some moments. To me that's a victory. I will but my life on this bet, Maybe just maybe I can get there. I believe that you can too. I won't lie, it will be hard, and it will take a long time, and you'll lose belief in yourself, but you will get to a better place. Even for a little while. I think it's worth it.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through it as well, that can't be easy  far away hug

All of the effort that you're making is inspiring. I find that with my depressive cycles something always happens beforehand that triggers them. One of the things that should help is cutting out the things in life that are causing the pain. At the moment I have this on and off toxic non-relationship that I need to put an end to, but I keep holding it off because we've been very close for years.

You will get there one day, so will I  Smiley
     Reply #303 - March 21, 2016, 04:40 PM

Recently i have been very depressed.
    it feels my whole body has been drained of energy and my life is meaningless.  the weird this is, i dont even know why i'm depressed.
    i mean i'm finished with school ( for now) & me and my family are talking again and they accept my decision( to leave Christianity).
    but i dont know. it's just like i havent been happy lately and last night i was actually thinking about killing myself. i know that sounds weird , but it's true. it feels like i have nobody to talk to....

when you guys are depressed,
    how do you deal with it?
    also, is it normal to be depressed for no reason?

thanks

I had depression for around 4-5 years, and only now am I beginning to feel like myself again.  I only actually sought help one year ago, and that's probably why I'm better now.

I can't stress enough the importance of talking about how you feel to someone, whether that be a close friend you trust or a healthcare professional. When your mental health isn't at it's best, the decisions you make are rarely good for you, and your thoughts tend to lack proper insight into your own situation. Having an outside opinion from someone who can assess your situation is important as they can offer full, honest and objective advice. Healthcare professionals can refer you to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, which involves talking through how you feel to someone who is trained to deal with people going through things like yourself. If necessary, they also may offer medication. However you are under no obligation to take medication if you do not wish to do so. I was on antidepressants for around six months and they didn't help me at all, so I stopped them and continued with CBT.

You also need to learn what your triggers are. For me, those are lack of sleep, lack of routine, bad diet, and the people I am around (for example, I get more anxious and stressed when I am visiting my parents). I learnt how to spot these through the help of CBT - my psychiatrist made me keep a mood diary.

I know that when you're having low days, everything in life feels pointless. Any small task like brushing your teeth can feel like a huge chore. But I promise, if you seek help, things will feel better eventually, and one day you will actually be able to say that you feel happy.

Please don't suffer in silence.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
     Reply #304 - March 25, 2016, 01:26 AM

I am a philosophic drunk  Cheesy
     Reply #305 - April 01, 2016, 09:00 PM

Here, it might be wise to go a little too Flaubertian, because language is like a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity . . .

I can't stress enough the importance of talking about how you feel to someone

1+
     Reply #306 - July 21, 2016, 10:50 PM

http://philosophicalsociety.com/Archives/Philosophy%20And%20Depression.htm

An article a fellow Ex-Muslim shared with me I thought people would find it interesting.
     Reply #307 - July 22, 2016, 02:12 PM

I stopped being depressed when I asked myself
    "What's the point of being depressed?"
    Lol

Well, Im past the existential phase, because It is simply a waste of time. These are questions we will never have answers to anyway.
     But we can find meaning in the smallest things.

Im glad because I feel alive and want to do things. I dont necessaruly look forward to everyday. I dont necessarily look forward to feeling good or being happy.
    I just like the fact that I can improve myself everyday. I can look at life from different angles.

I just like the fact that I look forward to learning something new everyday, to meet people, to connect with others, to listen to music, to create etc...

There's so much beauty in this world. If Im alive, Id rather feel alive, then  being a dead corpse even before my time.

It's not easy to change, but you can change. You have to start from somewhere. Im sure it's different for everyone. But if you allow yourself, then there's a way out.

Start small but do it. Live while you can!!!

Reply #308 - July 22, 2016, 02:38 PM

A lot of people confuse depression with chronic depression. It's pretty common to experience depression for certain reasons, where it's "life is so meaningless" or the loss of a loved one. But some people are more prone to depression than others, and sometimes it's triggered without an external factor. Even if there's an external factor, some people are more sensitive to them than others.

The first time I experienced depression, I had no idea why. Which is what made it so much worse. I wanted to know so that I can help myself, but there was nothing for me to know. It was probably adolescent hormones fucking up my brain chemistry. I was depressed for something like sixth months. Really deep depression. Sometimes I'd feel the pain physically. Sometimes I would cry for no reason. Sometimes I would self-harm.

Then one day it just lifted.

I was so confused. Yet so happy that it went away and didn't question it.

There are times when my depression is triggered by something, say an argument or a rejection. But I know full well that that trigger is not what I'm depressed about. The depression is deeper and more complex than just that. It was probably dormant for a while waiting to happen.

Sometimes my depression is purely chemical. I'd deplete my endorphins and it leaves me really depressed for a few hours. Sometimes all I need to do is eat. Carbs help a lot with restoring energy. Fats are also important for a healthy hormonal functioning.

I've certainly had the existential kind of depression, but I think, ironically, that existential depression gives depressed people a reason for their depression. It's a symptom, not a cause.

I'm prone to depression, because my brain is wired that way. It's not like I'm always depressed, but I know that I'm very sensitive to triggers (both external and internal). One of the things I've had to do to overcome my depression is realize that there's always a chance it'll come back, and that's important because it allows me to always keep my tools for dealing with it handy. I've developed a lot of cognitive behavioral therapy techniques to combat it, and I've learnt a lot about my depression and how to handle it. I've learnt how to push myself out of my slump, but also when to allow myself to fall and not be too harsh on myself.
     Reply #309 - July 25, 2016, 01:31 PM

I have depression on and off.  There are periods where I think about suicide everyday.  I even had deadlines for when  I would kill myself if my situation did not get better.

I find that eating better and taking mulitvitamins helps.  Usually I take extra vit B.  You can try to eat food you like for a special treat. 

Having some special project to work on also helps.  I try to help other people and finding out that some people have a worse situation than you do and they seem happy does seem to make you feel like you have to put your life into perspective.   You have to get a upport system of friends or family who will help you change your situation.  I remember living at home, working at a job I hated and having no boyfriend and I felt like I just had to endure it all.  It took a while bit the situation changed but sometimes I still get bouts of depression from different situations. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #310 - July 25, 2016, 01:48 PM

A lot of people confuse depression with chronic depression. It's pretty common to experience depression for certain reasons, where it's "life is so meaningless" or the loss of a loved one. But some people are more prone to depression than others, and sometimes it's triggered without an external factor. Even if there's an external factor, some people are more sensitive to them than others.

The first time I experienced depression, I had no idea why. Which is what made it so much worse. I wanted to know so that I can help myself, but there was nothing for me to know. It was probably adolescent hormones fucking up my brain chemistry. I was depressed for something like sixth months. Really deep depression. Sometimes I'd feel the pain physically. Sometimes I would cry for no reason. Sometimes I would self-harm.

Then one day it just lifted.

I was so confused. Yet so happy that it went away and didn't question it.

There are times when my depression is triggered by something, say an argument or a rejection. But I know full well that that trigger is not what I'm depressed about. The depression is deeper and more complex than just that. It was probably dormant for a while waiting to happen.

Sometimes my depression is purely chemical. I'd deplete my endorphins and it leaves me really depressed for a few hours. Sometimes all I need to do is eat. Carbs help a lot with restoring energy. Fats are also important for a healthy hormonal functioning.

I've certainly had the existential kind of depression, but I think, ironically, that existential depression gives depressed people a reason for their depression. It's a symptom, not a cause.

I'm prone to depression, because my brain is wired that way. It's not like I'm always depressed, but I know that I'm very sensitive to triggers (both external and internal). One of the things I've had to do to overcome my depression is realize that there's always a chance it'll come back, and that's important because it allows me to always keep my tools for dealing with it handy. I've developed a lot of cognitive behavioral therapy techniques to combat it, and I've learnt a lot about my depression and how to handle it. I've learnt how to push myself out of my slump, but also when to allow myself to fall and not be too harsh on myself.

Absurdist  you will be a wonderful  Psychiatrist.,   If you are not one now.,please get some stupid degree and become a Psychiatrist.,   I am sure  you have great abilities to help others...

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: How do you handle depression?
     Reply #311 - July 25, 2016, 02:39 PM

Absurdist  you will be a wonderful  ...  you have great abilities to help others...

ITA.  I am continually awed by the wisdom and compassion shown by many posters on this board, some of whom appear wise beyond their years.     Afro
     Reply #312 - July 25, 2016, 06:39 PM

I stopped being depressed when I asked myself
    "What's the point of being depressed?"
    Lol

Well, Im past the existential phase, because It is simply a waste of time. These are questions we will never have answers to anyway.
     But we can find meaning in the smallest things.

Im glad because I feel alive and want to do things. I dont necessaruly look forward to everyday. I dont necessarily look forward to feeling good or being happy.
    I just like the fact that I can improve myself everyday. I can look at life from different angles.

I just like the fact that I look forward to learning something new everyday, to meet people, to connect with others, to listen to music, to create etc...

There's so much beauty in this world. If Im alive, Id rather feel alive, then  being a dead corpse even before my time.

It's not easy to change, but you can change. You have to start from somewhere. Im sure it's different for everyone. But if you allow yourself, then there's a way out.

Start small but do it. Live while you can!!!

Proud of you, Inception!  hugs

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #313 - July 25, 2016, 06:42 PM

That's really super cool.  Afro

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #314 - July 25, 2016, 06:49 PM

I don't really know what to say about my own depression. I don't think it's necessarily a life-defining thing, but it has felt that way very often in recent years.

The only thing I can do for it which seems to work and feel right to me is to distract myself from it. And I have gone to pretty far lengths I think in that end.

To think that it might always be there, somewhere in the background, is honestly a scary thing but I hope I won't let that keep me from living what I can out of life.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #315 - July 25, 2016, 09:03 PM

My depression has had more to do with a crappy work situation than anything else...

I went the anti depressant route, and it's working for me.

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering
     Reply #316 - July 25, 2016, 11:24 PM

Proud of you, Inception!  hugs

I dont like people being proud of me. I disappoint them very quickly

But thanks anyway. Asbishhdhsjsoddjs

Reply #317 - July 25, 2016, 11:43 PM

I am  least proud of you and you are most arrogant  INcePtion ...

Reply #318 - July 25, 2016, 11:53 PM

I am  least proud of you and you are most arrogant  INcePtion ...

Thanks Yeez. I appreciate it.
     Reply #319 - July 26, 2016, 12:29 AM

Trust me, I'm way more disappointing than you. Grin

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #320 - July 26, 2016, 08:35 PM

magrib is the worse time of day for me recently.
     Reply #321 - July 27, 2016, 08:35 AM

Quote from: yeezevee on July 25, 2016, 07:48 PM
    Absurdist  you will be a wonderful  ...  you have great abilities to help others...

ITA.  I am continually awed by the wisdom and compassion shown by many posters on this board, some of whom appear wise beyond their years.     Afro

That's some compliment, considering Yeez is 127 years old.

Hi
  • Re: How do you handle depression?
     Reply #322 - July 27, 2016, 12:47 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Well,  I'm in that cohort as well, Musivore  dance

Hi.
     Reply #323 - July 28, 2016, 03:21 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Well,  I'm in that cohort as well, Musivore  dance

Hi.

actually you guys are right. I am old..Ooooooold.,    old and tired.,   Some of the stuff inside my body is as old as  universe.,  13 to 14 billion years old.,  well  that is life,  that is how it goes  whether I take or leave it.,

So going back to thread., I am just curious here.,  Many readers/members of this forum  may have physiological, psychological., uncontrollable anger , frustration .. mood disorders  ..etc..etc..  problems  and the docs just suggest some  mood disorder medications ..and..and we have zillion of those  medications

Question is how many of these physicians check for HPL  in the urine for that  so-called  Pyrrole disorder, also called pyroluria or  kryptopyroluria ??

http://www.neuropsychotherapist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/TNPTissue3pp58-67.pdf

Reply #324 - July 28, 2016, 07:16 PM

Mine didn't Yeezevee...

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering
     Reply #325 - July 29, 2016, 12:59 AM

Mine did test me, but even before the results came in he had me on supplements because it was fairly obvious I had been malnourished when I moved here- not by my weight, but by my health.
    It did not cure my PTSD, but it sure made it more manageable.

Reply #326 - July 29, 2016, 10:45 AM

Mine did test me, but even before the results came in he had me on supplements because it was fairly obvious I had been malnourished when I moved here- not by my weight, but by my health.
    It did not cure my PTSD, but it sure made it more manageable.

My goodness gracious ., you came a very long way dear three., never give up,   forget the past and move on ..   For many other psychological/personal  problems (( Stress of modern life, financial burdens, family problems, religious junk in the brain etc..etc)) compounded with imbalances in neurotransmitter metabolic disorders    literally 10s of thousands folks are put on some mood altering medications and some of these   medications are addictive and  dangerous

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #327 - July 29, 2016, 10:48 AM

Mine didn't Yeezevee...

hello envixer., if you are still on some psychotropic medications then it is good to get that test done to make sure the problems  are not from pyroluria metabolic disorder

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #328 - July 30, 2016, 03:19 AM

My goodness gracious ., you came a very long way dear three., never give up,   forget the past and move on ..   For many other psychological/personal  problems (( Stress of modern life, financial burdens, family problems, religious junk in the brain etc..etc)) compounded with imbalances in neurotransmitter metabolic disorders    literally 10s of thousands folks are put on some mood altering medications and some of these   medications are addictive and  dangerous

with best wishes
    yeezevee

I am not on one of those yet. Currently I am only on a medication for hypertension. But I take a handful of supplements each day, all of which are vitamins save for a probiotic and a naproxen sodium (over the counter) for pain. I can say that quitting all forms of caffeine has done me wonders. I miss my coffee and my tea but I don´t miss my brain on coffee or tea! When my PTSD starts getting bad I take GABA and L-theanine, but I suspect a grueling one hour workout five times a week would be just as effective. If only we had a gym in my town with childcare provided...

Reply #329 - July 30, 2016, 03:58 AM

How's the GABA? I was thinking of trying it but have read mixed reviews. I love theanine but I develop tolerance quickly so I always need to cycle off it.
  • Previous page 1 ... 9 10 1112 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »