Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: From me to you

(Read 22453 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: From me to you
     Reply #90 - June 16, 2010, 03:22 PM

HotChick,

1) If you can't talk to him very well because of the language barrier, why are you thinking about marrying him...? You need to be able to communicate very deeply with someone you want to marry.

2) You shouldn't agree to convert to Islam. First, you clearly don't believe in the islamic god, don't plan to follow any of the rituals like prayers 5 times a day, wearing hijab, you want to bring your husband over to the british way of life, etc. Therefore you shouldn't offer to convert, especially since he said that you don't have to convert and can stay a christian if you want to.

Also, there is the penalty of death for apostates, so if you ever wanted to leave islam, you may be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life like many of us do.

3) Your child should not be brought up as a muslim. Children defenseless and easy to indoctrinate, which is why most suicide bombers are taken in as kids. You would be doing your child a lot of injustice if you agree to let him be brainwashed into Islam when his mind is defenseless and he cannot think for himself. Is that what you really want, that he grow up in fear of qiyamat (judgement day), torture of grave, torture of hell, superiority of men over women, how women should cover up and how he should lower his gaze on seeing a woman, how masturbation is evil, and all this BS in islam that no kid should be exposed to?

Your kid will be forever grateful to you if you don't bring him up according to islam, just give him the information on all religions, including atheism/agnosticism, and let him make up his own mind when he is 18 or so.

4) Since you mentioned that you aren't working and are receiving government funding, and also since your husband doesn't speak good english, you have a lot of things going against you in terms of the visa application. If you go to Tunisia now its quite likely that you would end up staying there for years.

What I would recommend is that you may be go over to visit him and let him see the child, however don't marry him yet. Instead return to UK in a few weeks, wait till the child is older and you can start working again, think about everything deeply and research islam a lot during this time. And then if you still want to marry him, you would have an easier time sponsoring him to visit you.

5) You have a lot of leverage over your boyfriend right now. He wants to come to UK, that's in your hands. You should set out your conditions, and be strong about them. If he accepts them, good, if he doesn't accept any of them, he will not be a good choice for a life partner. Your conditions should be: a) You will not convert, and you will not change your lifestyle in any way. b) Your child will not be brought up according to any religion, and there will be no indoctrination into any religion. When the child is old enough, he would make up his own mind.

Set these conditions out now, and be strong about them.
     Reply #91 - June 16, 2010, 03:33 PM

^^^ What @ali said. Specially 4 and 5.  Afro
     Reply #92 - June 16, 2010, 04:14 PM

I'm afraid I see too many alarm bells in your situation - age difference, language difference, religious assumptions, his unreflectiveness regarding religion and his expressed intention to become more religious at a future date.
    There have been many cases in Europe of males from North Africa/Middle East kidnapping their children to bring them to their home countries where the legal system will ensure that the mother will never again see their children - bear that in mind when issues around passports arise. 

I would suggest that you tell him that as a compromise between you want to bring up your joint kids in a "neutral" religion - i.e. not his religion and not yours. (Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism etc. -or whatever).  You don't have to mean it - but I suspect you'll find his reaction illuminating.
     Reply #93 - June 16, 2010, 07:21 PM

Once again thanks for all the replies.  I'll try to give some more info and answer your questions:

Yes, that's what we're hoping to do but if this fails (if his visa application is rejected again) then he has asked me if I will live there in Tunisia with him and his family.  I don't really want to do this (not because I dislike his family or anything, just that I don't think I could live in Tunisia and the tunisian way of life permanently) and he is ok about that but I've been looking at what options there are if his visa is rejected again and my understanding is that firstly we can appeal, failing that if I live there with him for 4 years we should both be able to come back to the UK together as a family.   The visa application does worry me a lot because since I've had the baby I no longer work and a requirement of a successful application is that you or your spouse must not be dependent on and receiving any public funds, which unfortunately I do.  :(

I'm going over there for 5 weeks and getting married after the first week because all the documents I need to take with me can not be any older than 21 days (certificate of no impediment, birth certificate etc) on the day of marriage.  We're staying with his family and then I'm returning to England with the baby and he'll then apply for the UK settlement visa.

His family are very nice people and have always welcomed me everytime I've been there.  They know he's trying to get a visa to move to the UK with me but having a family discussion with them as such is very difficult as they don't speak English and I don't speak Arabic.  My boyfriend's understanding of the English language is limited - when I met him he couldn't speak any English at all and we communicated mainly by mine and his limited knowledge of French. Since then his English has improved greatly but is still rather basic. 

Yes I've done this already and they do need the father's permission to exit the country.  My boyfriend has not given me cause to think he wouldn't grant this though. I know that the British govt. would not intervene in any disputes etc whilst a dual-nationality citizen is in the "other" country. My boyfriend says he wants his son to have a Tunisian passport as well as a British one because he's half Tunisian and it's his right.

I'm 32 and my fiance is 23.

Yes I know which is why I would like to get him over here and gradually accustom him to the British way of life.

Yes we've discussed this as well as we can in view of the language barrier. He has said before that a muslim man can marry a christian but not the other way round.  He didn't insist I convert, he asked me if I would and I said ok.

Thanks for the links, I will read up some more on this. 

This is in general when we chat.  He will say things like inchallah, wallah, etc. and that Allah knows everything.  His talk of the quran is mainly if I ask him something to do with Islam and he will then say the quran tells this, or that.  I've asked him about his, what I call wayward lifestyle  according to the quran,  (his drinking, smoking, sometimes eating in the day during ramadan, not praying etc) and he says he knows he's not a good muslim right now but that he can make up for this later and Allah will be ok with this. I guess my take on this is that if he enjoys doing these things now he isn't likely to change back again.  wacko

Please don't feel guilty about writing my user-name,  I have a wicked sense of humour.  Cheesy

We're going to bring the child up as a muslim.  We've discussed this in the sense of how it will be done when we're living together as man and wife but not elaborated on how to do this or how to teach him arabic if we are forced to be apart for any length of time. 

If and when he gets over here he will look for work and I will too when the baby is older.

I know it might look like he may only be interested in getting to the UK but I honestly don't think this is his ulterior motive. We genuinely do love each other but I can see that his culture and beliefs may get in the way.  That he IS a muslim and only knows how to be a muslim and only knows the Tunisian way of life etc is something I feel that I do have to accept and adjust to. I don't feel it should have to be all about him relinquishing all that he is and believes in just because he's fallen for an English girl either.  I am more liberal and whilst the ideal is that both of us accept each other for what we are, I do understand that it doesn't always work this way, especially if Islam has such a hold over him.

Well I'm initially going alone with the baby but my mum and dad are coming out for a week for the wedding. My mum has already been out to Tunisia with me in January and met him and his family.    My parents do have their reservations about what I'm doing but at the same time understand it's my decision at the end of the day. 

My mum has often said things about Islam and what I might be getting myself into - but I kinda didn't want to hear it.  I guess because I felt this was coming between us and she was trying to put me off him, even though she likes him as a person, based on her own thoughts and ideas about Islam and not necessarily mine.  She has recently been reading a book called "They Must Be Stopped" by Brigitte Gabriel and I think some of her fears and doubts are as a result of what she has read about in this book.    She has tried to get me to read it but I just don't want to.   

I guess some would say I'm burying my head in the sand here.  Huh?

Okay, if I were in your shoes, well, first I wouldn't be marryin this guy or even contemplating converting to Islam, but if I really did feel like marriage was the right thing and were in your situation, here are the minimum precautions I would take:

1. Try to arrange for your parents or some family to be there until your flight is scheduled to return home.

2. Avoid the Tunisian passport for the kid like the plague. If your man's visa application is denied again and you do eventually decide to move there for a few years, you can sort it out then. Your kid does not need it now. There is no reward in getting him the passport at this time, only risk.

3. Keep your eyes open for signals your husband is getting more conservative, and he or his family getting more insistent on pushing you in a way you don't want to go. For that reason alone, I'd hold off on conversion-- that way you will be able to gauge their reaction and how insistent they are. As I think others here have mentioned, if they push you to wear a headscarf that's a bad sign, considering the majority of women there don't wear them.

Finally, as Iraqi Atheist already said, the book your parents are reading is bigoted Muslim-bashing brainwash bullshit, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong or don't have good cause for concern.

That's about all I feel I have to contribute at this point. Other folks can contribute more, I'm sure. So best of luck in whatever decisions you take.

fuck you
     Reply #94 - June 16, 2010, 07:44 PM

If you have to marry him, tell him you wont and never will convert. 

Are you going to give your son a circumcison?  Because if you convert, you will have little room for manoevre and then possibly opening yourself for then being called a hypocrite.

You shouldnt have convert unless you actually believe in it.  Not just because of principles, but because I think its a great litmus test to show you how they will react in the future.  And I suspect you will then see everyones true colours.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #95 - June 16, 2010, 07:46 PM

What Islame said in the last paragraph. Except without the "u" in color.

fuck you
     Reply #96 - June 16, 2010, 07:48 PM

colorcolour

finmad

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #97 - June 16, 2010, 07:55 PM

Norman French is no longer the official language of England, the UK, or her former colonies. Get with the fuckin times, man and drop the "u"s if you're not gonna pronounce the words like the frogs do.

fuck you
     Reply #98 - June 16, 2010, 08:02 PM

Lately I've been reading this entry - It seems I've been misinformed I was under the impression that the majority of the Islamic scholars did not agree on the death penalty for leaving Islam by the looks of it the majority do agree on the death penalty for apostasy.

I did some quick research and found that although the death penalty for apostasy has been ruled by Islamic courts no apostate has actually been killed in any Islamic country or no cases have been documented where the courts have actually carried out the ruling.

Even though the law exists and is handed out it has never been applied, in fact there is an example of an apostate living in an Islamic country that is Tasleema Nasreen, from Bangladesh, the author of Lajja, ironically she was expelled from India she was considered a trouble maker India is a secular country.
     Reply #99 - June 16, 2010, 08:05 PM

You missed my question Bud.  As a Muslim, are you using a proxy.  If so, why?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #100 - June 16, 2010, 08:06 PM

2. Avoid the Tunisian passport for the kid like the plague. If your man's visa application is denied again and you do eventually decide to move there for a few years, you can sort it out then. Your kid does not need it now. There is no reward in getting him the passport at this time, only risk.

+1
    If you get your kid a Tunisian passport you will risk losing custody. This will happen if the visa application gets rejected and you want to move back to the UK with your kid.
     Reply #101 - June 16, 2010, 08:13 PM

Lately I've been reading this entry - It seems I've been misinformed I was under the impression that the majority of the Islamic scholars did not agree on the death penalty for leaving Islam by the looks of it the majority do agree on the death penalty for apostasy.

I did some quick research and found that although the death penalty for apostasy has been ruled by Islamic courts no apostate has actually been killed in any Islamic country or no cases have been documented where the courts have actually carried out the ruling.

Even though the law exists and is handed out it has never been applied, in fact there is an example of an apostate living in an Islamic country that is Tasleema Nasreen, from Bangladesh, the author of Lajja, ironically she was expelled from India she was considered a trouble maker India is a secular country.

First of all there has been cases where atheists and converts have been killed, imprisoned, or censored.
    But this is all irrelevant to our discussion. Your question was "Could you please tell me which jurisprudence of Islamic law (sharia) upholds the death penalty for apostasy?" not which country executes apostates.
     Reply #102 - June 16, 2010, 08:25 PM

I did some quick research and found that...

I doubt this statement. I'm getting the feeling you had this canned response ready to go before you even joined this site.

fuck you
     Reply #103 - June 16, 2010, 08:30 PM

You missed my question Bud.  As a Muslim, are you using a proxy.  If so, why?

Unfortunately I've got to use a proxy to keep my anonymity I thought that was something quite common. I've got adoptive parents and for business (and tax) reasons we live in an Islamic country. I was saved from a bloody civil war in my country by being adopted. I'm not a Muslim.    
     Reply #104 - June 16, 2010, 08:32 PM

Tut Tut Tut..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #105 - June 16, 2010, 08:32 PM

Are you kidding me? A bunch of Iranian Kurds were just executed for apostasy about six months ago. It was in the news.  I don't have time to look for it, but I think we had a thread on it.  

[this space for rent]
     Reply #106 - June 16, 2010, 08:33 PM

Yes I am taking the baby to Tunisia, he's only 8 weeks old and 'dad' hasn't seen him yet apart from in the webcam.  I've got his UK passport sorted and once in Tunisia I know my boyfriend is getting him a Tunisian one too.

Sorry, my opinion is that is not such a hot idea until *you* are eligible for a Tunisian passport.  I have known and heard of far too many women in my time whose husbands got the kids "back home" passports, and as soon as they were back in the country, they have all the legal rights to the kids and they can keep them there.  The British embassy will not be able to assist you.  If you are not a citizen of the country, you will have to leave.  Why would you voluntarily buy into a system that says you, as the mother, do not have the right and are not competent enough to travel with your own child without a male relative (not just the father - male relatives) giving you permission like you are a 3 yr old child?  Are you "less than" because of your womanhood? If you don't believe that, then why comply and go along with a system that says you are?

They can kick you out of the country, and you could not see your son again for a very, very long time.  Forget his "right" to a worthless Arab passport*.  The reason they want the kids to have  Arab passports is so the family can claim legal rights to the child in family court in case there is a divorce later (or yes, in case the plan from the get go is to get the child and mother into the country so they can take the child... in Muslim culture, the children "belong" to the father and his family. The mother is seen as having minimal rights and her family as having none at all).  Did you find out if Tunisia has mandatory military service for men?  Getting him a passport could mean a big headache for him later when he's visiting grandma and is stopped in the airport for failing to serve.  It has happened and his British passport and lifestyle won't save him in that case.... you need to find this stuff out before you go burdening your child with this.  Hey, and I am burdened with an Arab passport, so I know of whence I speak... in fact a great many people saying the same advice to you are also Arab passport holders...

(*by worthless I mean that it does not convey to the holder better ease of travel than, say, a British passport. There is really NO reason at all to have it if you are a dual citizen, unless you work there and need to stay without a visa or something).  

At the very least, if you are a Tunisian passport carrier, you could stay there if he or his family (and a lot of times, it seems like it's the family behind it, egging on the husband or ex-husband) decide to keep the child from you or engage in a custody battle (and in the Arab countries, the rights of custody are with the father first and his family).  Being liberal in terms of Islam does NOT mean that a country's laws are liberal when it comes to being Arabs.  I know plenty of people who have liberal beliefs about Islam, don't wear hijab, etc. or they are Christians, but when it comes to their family or other things, they are old school ARABS, and that includes 100% the kids being the "property" of the father and not the mother.  

I'm sorry, you asked for advice, and I'm giving you some, but as you said, you are opting to bury your head in the sand when it comes to Islam and perhaps when it comes to the realities for women in the Arab world.  I hope it turns out better for you than it has for thousands of other girlfriends and wives of "liberal" "loving" Muslim men with "nice" families.    Some of them are "nice" right up until the marriage, others until the wife doesn't convert (or does convert) or until they get her in the house in their country.  For you, this is your life and your experience, but for some of us, this is the thousandth time we've heard this story and we know how MOST of these stories end. Not all of them. I'm sure many of us have also seen the women who marry younger men from North Africa, have sex with them, and then as soon as the visa is approved, the marriage goes south really, really quickly - totally by coincidence of course - and the husband moves out and moves on with a host of girlfriends or whatever.  Maybe he's not like that.  I hope not, since there is a child involved. But you need to reach out to the wives, ex-wives, and ex-girlfriends of North African guys on this... poke around on the internet - there are support groups about this issue.

I wouldn't want to rain on your parade, but I'm trying, like others, to give you a realistic portrait of how things may be from those of us who are from there or have been there. Maybe you haven't met someone till now who can give you the OTHER side.  Understand this, and understand it again: Your rights as a woman, as a mother and wife will NOT be respected in the family courts there should his family decide to take the child or should he divorce you or should he "suddenly" forbid you from leaving b/c he can't get a visa to the UK and he's frustrated and has to exercise control and "manliness" over you the only way he knows how.  Just understand that. Understand what you might be giving up and what you might face. It might NEVER happen.  It might not happen. But it might.  

We just want to be together and it just happens that the person I fell in love with is muslim. I know he would never leave Islam and, although he doesn't do all the stuff I know some do such as pray 5 times per day etc and he also smokes and drinks too, he does talk about Allah and the quran quite a lot.   I wouldn't say he was liberal, probably errs on the conservative side.

It's not conservative if he has pre-marital sex with you.  You know, there is nothing wrong with being a liberal. The world needs more liberal Muslims.

I would convert if that's what his religion requires of him

It DOESN'T and you shouldn't do something like that for him.  He obviously didn't care about Islam's requirement that he be married to the woman he is having intercourse with, so why would this one matter? If you want to make a radical life change and worship and invisible desert god, do it for yourself and because you believe in invisible sky gods, not for a man. Islamically, it wouldn't even be a valid conversion anyway (although yes, I know you can lie to the imam about your convictions and people do it all the time).

I suppose the fact that I'm not really a religious person and don't believe in worshipping some invisible god would carry over no matter which "religion" I'm supposed to follow. I can't see me being much different than I am now in that respect.  I realise that this isn't really being a muslim in the true sense of the word but does that really matter so much?  Huh?

It matters to Muslims. You can't *be* a Muslim if you don't believe in their invisible friend. It's all hard wired into the very word "Muslim."  

I've asked him about his, what I call wayward lifestyle  according to the quran,  (his drinking, smoking, sometimes eating in the day during ramadan, not praying etc) and he says he knows he's not a good muslim right now but that he can make up for this later and Allah will be ok with this. I guess my take on this is that if he enjoys doing these things now he isn't likely to change back again.

Um. No.  Again, something some of us have seen thousands of times.  All of you who were pot heads and became judgmental Muslim twats later, raise your hands. Or saw it happen to your dads, your brothers, your sisters, your mums, your cousins.   whistling2 A friend of mine is now getting divorced from her "so liberal" husband who "saw the light of allah" after they had tons of pre-marital sex and got married and he became a "good Muslim" who exercised complete financial, emotional and social control over his family and threw his little temper tantrums as Islam encourages men to, and she was run into the ground. That's just the most recent of my friends anyway.   A ton of guys "see their way back to allah" after the marriage... and they were total libertines before. So yes, it does happen ALL THE TIME especially with the rise of Islamism in the Arab world.

I don't feel it should have to be all about him relinquishing all that he is and believes in just because he's fallen for an English girl either.  I am more liberal and whilst the ideal is that both of us accept each other for what we are, I do understand that it doesn't always work this way, especially if Islam has such a hold over him.

What are you calling "relinquishing all he is?"  What does it mean to accept Tunisian culture and Islam in your life? Some nice tagine and rugs?  Or the husband demanding that you ask his permission before leaving the house for anything - including going to the doctor or store?  Does it mean that you accept that you are not allowed to answer back?  Think about this carefully.  What happens with a lot of western women who marry these guys -whether or not the wife is a Muslim - is that she reverts to a really nice 19th century Victorian style role and these guys are given complete control over the house, the woman, the children, the finances, etc.  And she might appear all modern from the outside, but it's not what goes on at home.  Don't give up yourself and what is essential to you, b/c giving up pork or beer isn't a big deal, but that's not all that you may be expected to do.  If he comes to England, let him bring the food and the rugs and the music, but tell him to leave the patriarchal shit at home.  Far too few western wives do this and eventually find themselves in the types of marriages that their great-grandmothers lived in.

Cross-cultural marriages are hard, hard work and very tough on both parties involved when there is absolutely no language barrier and they both live in the same country. You are talking about marriage to a man with whom you admit you have major communication problems, who has never lived in your country or you in his, and who, from what you are saying, has no conception of, let alone acceptance of, some common liberal values or understandings.  How can you discuss your ideas on what rights a human being has if you can't speak the same language? If it's hard for those of us who speak the same languages and meet and marry and live in the same countries as our cross-cultural spouses and can discuss our commonly held beliefs as well as those things on which we differ, it's a 1000 times more difficult for those like you.  I wish all the best to people who try it, I really do, but speaking from experience, I know very, very few women whose cross cultural marriages last more than a few years.  I know a few whose marriages are into the decade and a half mark, but they're not happy marriages, and I have known more than a few women who "suddenly" divorced as soon as their kids turned 18.  

With all due, it just seems like you're asking for opinions, but with your head buried in the sand by your own admission, I'm wondering if you just need to feel reinforced in a belief that it's you and him against the world, that people don't understand your love, and so forth.  And converting to Islam without seriously reading up on it and reading up on what you are agreeing to is a massive mistake, especially when there are children and dual nationalities involved.  Do what you like, for you are an adult woman in a country that recognizes the abilities and rights of adult women to make their own life decisions even if they opt not to become informed about those decisions ahead of time... but be ready to accept whatever consequences may come down the pike because of it.  

[this space for rent]
     Reply #107 - June 16, 2010, 08:34 PM

And yet he uses a proxy when going on an ex-muslim site...

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #108 - June 16, 2010, 08:36 PM

^^^^THIS

As a non-muslim as well  whistling2
     Reply #109 - June 16, 2010, 08:37 PM

I'm not a Muslim.    

Yeah, and I'm not a troll.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #110 - June 16, 2010, 08:47 PM

Unfortunately I've got to use a proxy to keep my anonymity I thought that was something quite common. I've got adoptive parents and for business (and tax) reasons we live in an Islamic country. I was saved from a bloody civil war in my country by being adopted. I'm not a Muslim.    

I know, I'm in the exact same situation.

fuck you
     Reply #111 - June 16, 2010, 08:54 PM

Tut Tut Tut..

LMFAO, no shit.......
     Reply #112 - June 16, 2010, 08:55 PM

You're Tut @li

fuck you
     Reply #113 - June 16, 2010, 09:06 PM

Cheesy
     Reply #114 - June 16, 2010, 09:18 PM

+1 Manats huge post. some plain talking good advice right there.

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #115 - June 16, 2010, 09:22 PM

I think what HotChick is doing is dangerous even if you replace "Tunisia" and "Islam" with any other country and religion (or lack thereof).

1) From what I inferred, you want to marry a guy you did not spend much time with, IRL. Does it amount to a few months top?
    2) On top of that, there was (and partially still is) a language barrier.
    Result: you are only have a vague idea of what kind of person really is.

3) There is a language barrier between you and his family.
    Result: you have an even more vague idea of what role his family plays in his life, and what are his family's plans with the baby.

4) You want to convert to a religion you do not really know and that you do not believe in. That's quite wrong on all accounts.

5) Why do you want to convert and raise the baby as muslim? My guess is that you seem eager to please him.
    But there is a baby involved: the perceived desires of your boyfriend should not mean shit compared to the necessities of your kid. Not to mention your own.

So, I think your decisions are pretty dangerous.
    And him being a Muslim is not even much relevant in this situation.

I have heard of countless cases of women and men getting screwed up and having their kids stolen by the spouse once they move to the other country.
    And it happens even when both are from "western" countries with almost identical cultures.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #116 - June 16, 2010, 09:25 PM

+1 Manats huge post. some plain talking good advice right there.

I'm taking credit for Manat's awesomeness because I asked her to post in this thread.

Sorry, Manat, the glory of your contribution all belongs to me.  dance

In all seriousness, she makes excellent points. And speaking of good points:

I think what HotChick is doing is dangerous even if you replace "Tunisia" and "Islam" with any other country and religion (or lack thereof).

1) From what I inferred, you want to marry a guy you did not spend much time with, IRL. Does it amount to a few months top?
    2) On top of that, there was (and partially still is) a language barrier.
    Result: you are only have a vague idea of what kind of person really is.

3) There is a language barrier between you and his family.
    Result: you have an even more vague idea of what role his family plays in his life, and what are his family's plans with the baby.

4) You want to convert to a religion you do not really know and that you do not believe in. That's quite wrong on all accounts.

5) Why do you want to convert and raise the baby as muslim? My guess is that you seem eager to please him.
    But there is a baby involved: the perceived desires of your boyfriend should not mean shit compared to the necessities of your kid. Not to mention your own.

So, I think your decisions are pretty dangerous.
    And him being a Muslim is not even much relevant in this situation.

I have heard of countless cases of women and men getting screwed up and having their kids stolen by the spouse once they move to the other country.
    And it happens even when both are from "western" countries with almost identical cultures.

I didn't even think of it that way, but Tlaloc is right on the money.

fuck you
     Reply #117 - June 16, 2010, 10:11 PM

Please dont convert to Islam
     Reply #118 - June 16, 2010, 10:25 PM

Oh god,  thankyou Manat/Q-Man/Tlaloc/Hassan and to everyone else who is trying to make me see what I haven't wanted to see for so long.

I'm scared I've left it too late - for me, my baby, for my fiance, for what I'm about to do in less than 3 weeks time.  I just feel like I want to get off the train but I don't know how to stop it.    I feel sick.  Cry

I'm sorry but I really don't know what else to say right now except I need to go and think, and think good.  I'll be back as soon as I can get my thoughts straight.  

There's gonna be a storm
     Reply #119 - June 16, 2010, 10:26 PM

Stay strong.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

• Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »