Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: From me to you

(Read 22483 times)
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • From me to you
     OP - June 15, 2010, 11:01 PM

Hello everybody.  Smiley

I think I'm in the right place here to introduce myself to you all.  Afro

I should probably have a look around the forum first, check out the rules etc. before I make any comments but as I do tend to do things back-to-front at times I've already had a little peek and a laugh and posted a comment before coming here.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, talking about doing things back-to-front I do realise that this is a forum for ex-muslims.    Well, I'm not even a muslim yet, I'm just thinking about becoming one at this point.   wacko

Have to ask though, why do people become one then later decide they don't like it after all?  whistling2

There's gonna be a storm
  • Re: From me to you
     Reply #1 - June 15, 2010, 11:09 PM

Generally because they find out it's complete rubbish. Glad to see you're not rushing into this.

Mind me asking what it is that is making you want to convert to Islam?
     Reply #2 - June 15, 2010, 11:15 PM

Hi

I don't think you'll get a balanced view of Islam from here, most members are atheists and opposed to anything dealing with metaphysics and religion. I'd recommend some books on Islam, some I've personally enjoyed reading: The Vision of Islam by Sachiko Murata and, William C. Chittick, Islam and the Destiny of Man by Charles Le Gai Eaton, and finally Ideals and Realities of Islam by Seyyed Hossein Nasr.

Your decision to join Islam or not ought to be entirely based on your on conclusions, forums aren't a great place to get informed opinions from. I hope you'll find what you're looking for.
     Reply #3 - June 15, 2010, 11:20 PM

Now here's a first!   Potential  Muslimah coming to this forum!  
    A big welcome to the forum.  hugs  You sound very interesting with your admissions of doing things back-to-front.  Tongue

You've come to the right place at the right time.  I strongly believe in freedom of religion for all, so I will not try to preach to you too much.  It's your choice.  But remember one thing: the punishment for leaving Islam is death (under Sharia), which is why most of us are anonymous.  Some radical Muslims may want to take divine law into their own hands.  And some Muslims just want to defend their tradition from erosion.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #4 - June 15, 2010, 11:27 PM

Welcome HotChick!

Hi

I don't think you will get a balanced view of Islam from here,

Says the person with 8 posts. Besides, she didn't ask for "a balanced view of Islam", she specifically asked:

"Have to ask though, why do people become one then later decide they don't like it after all?"

What better people to ask than those who converted then left? We got plenty of those people here.

most members are atheists and opposed to anything dealing with metaphysics and religion.

Most, but far from all.

Your decision to join Islam or not should be entirely based on your on conclusions,

She didn't ask anyone to draw conclusions for her. She asked about people's personal experience/opinions.

forums are not a great place to get informed opinions from.

Well, let's see she's asking why people leave Islam-- why wouldn't a forum full of people who left Islam be a good place for informed opinions on the topic?

Look, you didn't say much in your intro Sahasrara, so I don't know shit about you, but if you came over here just to complain about ex-Muslims being too anti-Islam or whatever, then I suggest going to FFI-- there are tons of mad-dog Muslim-bashers over there for you to get sanctimonious with.

fuck you
     Reply #5 - June 15, 2010, 11:31 PM

I don't think you'll get a balanced view of Islam from here, most members are atheists and opposed to anything dealing with metaphysics and religion.

Geez, really? Could a forum called the "Council of Ex-Muslims" not have a balanced view of Islam? Brilliant observation.

This is a biased forum, but you won't get a better critique of Islam than on here. Definitely not going to get any less of an unbalanced view of Islam from a *Muslim* forum.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #6 - June 15, 2010, 11:32 PM

Anyway, talking about doing things back-to-front I do realise that this is a forum for ex-muslims.    Well, I'm not even a muslim yet, I'm just thinking about becoming one at this point.   wacko

im glad you decided to do your research before potentially entering islam.
    for instance, are you aware of the death penalty for leaving islam?
    they didnt tell you about that one did they  Wink ?
     Reply #7 - June 15, 2010, 11:35 PM

If you ask me, this probably is one of the more balanced forums but ye as Q-Man pointed out, this forum is filled with ex-muslims who have left Islam for legitimate reasons so I am glad you have decided to take a look at the other side of the argument before you make a potentially life-altering decision.

Hope you stick around hotchick...

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #8 - June 15, 2010, 11:38 PM

Have to ask though, why do people become one then later decide they don't like it after all?  whistling2

I gues most of the people here were born Muslims, although there are also quite a few converts. I was a born Muslim. Btw, if I may ask, what has attracted you to Islam?

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
     Reply #9 - June 15, 2010, 11:39 PM

Welcome Hot Chick.   Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #10 - June 15, 2010, 11:43 PM

Have to ask though, why do people become one then later decide they don't like it after all?  whistling2

Why do we return purchases? Same idea. You buy something, realize its crappy or doesn't do what it advertised and decide to return it.

Special thing about Islam is this...

Islam, doesn't allow you to return it. It's a final sale. You try to get a refund and you die. Kind of like the time I bought my Xbox360 from future shop.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #11 - June 15, 2010, 11:45 PM

Welcome HotChick!

Says the person with 8 posts. Besides, she didn't ask for "a balanced view of Islam", she specifically asked:

"Have to ask though, why do people become one then later decide they don't like it after all?"

I see that.

What better people to ask than those who converted then left? We got plenty of those people here.

Lack of understanding of metaphysics and the concept of religion is the prime reason why those who convert to a faith end up abandoning it. That is why I've recommend those books to her to give her a better insight into the Islamic psyche.

Most, but far from all.

A snowball is mostly made of snow too. We all know about the snowball effect.

Well, let's see she's asking why people leave Islam-- why wouldn't a forum full of people who left Islam not be a good place for informed opinions on the topic?

Those who can't keep a commitment to see a task through to the end are weak of character.  

Look, you didn't say much in your intro Sahasrara, so I don't know shit about you, but if you came over here just to complain about ex-Muslims being too anti-Islam or whatever, then I suggest going to FFI-- there are tons of mad-dog Muslim-bashers over there for you to get sanctimonious with.

Sorry I'm not too found of writing a biography of myself to have total loons on the internet read it.  
     Reply #12 - June 15, 2010, 11:45 PM

Cheesy

Bitter whiney musulman alert.

If you think we're "loons" why not just fuck off, eh?

Reply #13 - June 15, 2010, 11:46 PM

Sahasrara stop whingeing and whining in someone's intro thread.  Say hello and GTFO.  Oh, and if you dislike this forum that much, you know where the door is.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #14 - June 15, 2010, 11:47 PM

im glad you decided to do your research before potentially entering islam.
    they didnt tell you about that one did they  Wink ?

Could you please tell me which jurisprudence of Islamic law (sharia) upholds the death penalty for apostasy?
     Reply #15 - June 15, 2010, 11:48 PM

Welcome.

I'm not a Muslim not an ex Muslim, but can i just say that if it's knowledge you've after you've come to the right place. Over the years, I've been on various forums and I have to say that this one is unique because it's populated by a whole load of well informed, intelligent, rational and people.

Reading the forums and comments will give you something to think about. And if you ask a question, you'll get some answers that will make you think. There's no ulterior motive here. just genuine people.

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #16 - June 15, 2010, 11:48 PM

I like how this tool equates Islam with "keeping a commitment".

Fuck off, seriously. I never made no fucking commitment, I was born into this death cult - had no choice in the matter. I have the right to opt out you self righteous douchetard.

Reply #17 - June 15, 2010, 11:49 PM

Hi and welcome Smiley

Why Islam why not other religions?
     Reply #18 - June 15, 2010, 11:51 PM

, I was born into this death cult

when you say it like that it sounds so cool.

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #19 - June 15, 2010, 11:52 PM

Well, I'm not even a muslim yet, I'm just thinking about becoming one at this point.   wacko

Have to ask though, why do people become one then later decide they don't like it after all?  whistling2

@HotChick,
    In a nutshell for me:
    I was born to Muslim parents, and then a few years ago I had doubts about the truth of Islam, and made sure I settled the question for myself, one way or the other.  After several months of research (mainly Dawkins et al), I finally kicked religion.  For me, it was all about the truth.
    You do realise, one cannot really call themselves a Muslim without believing all the key dogmas of Islam.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #20 - June 15, 2010, 11:52 PM

I see that.

Coulda fooled me.

A snowball is mostly made of snow too. We all know about the snowball effect.

Wow...just...wow.

Those who can't keep a commitment to see a task through to the end are weak of character.  

1) Logically non-sequitur response to my comment, 2) Not true if they discover the task to be pointless, counterproductive, destructive, impossible, or unethical.

Sorry I'm not too found of writing a biography of myself to have total loons on the internet read it.  

Nah, I gotcha. You came here to troll.

fuck you
     Reply #21 - June 15, 2010, 11:53 PM

Hi

I don't think you'll get a balanced view of Islam from here, most members are atheists and opposed to anything dealing with metaphysics and religion. I'd recommend some books on Islam, some I've personally enjoyed reading: The Vision of Islam by Sachiko Murata and, William C. Chittick, Islam and the Destiny of Man by Charles Le Gai Eaton, and finally Ideals and Realities of Islam by Seyyed Hossein Nasr.

Your decision to join Islam or not ought to be entirely based on your on conclusions, forums aren't a great place to get informed opinions from. I hope you'll find what you're looking for.

How about recommending:

Quran
    Hadiths by Shia and Sunni
    Sira
     Reply #22 - June 15, 2010, 11:53 PM

Could you please tell me which jurisprudence of Islamic law (sharia) upholds the death penalty for apostasy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam#Punishment_for_apostasy
     Reply #23 - June 15, 2010, 11:55 PM

How about recommending:

Quran
    Sira

Cheesy

What kind of muslim is that sahasrara anyways? Recommending obscure bullshit while not mentioning the holiest texts of her religion

Reply #24 - June 15, 2010, 11:56 PM

How about recommending:

Quran
    Sira

+1
     Reply #25 - June 15, 2010, 11:57 PM

Cheesy

What kind of muslim is that sahasrara anyways? Recommending obscure bullshit while not mentioning the holiest texts of her religion

Muhammad most displeased.
     Reply #26 - June 16, 2010, 12:01 AM

How about recommending:

Quran
    Sira

+1

The only books which tell you the truth about Islam are those mentioned above.  Any other book written by a Muslim will obviously be biased in favour of the religion.

Whenever you hear anything about Islam, always check and verify whether it's true by asking for a reference from Quran/Hadith.

Reply #27 - June 16, 2010, 12:02 AM

It's like asking about Christianity but instead of the Bible you're recommended to read some book by a 15th century monk with a dry crotch.
     Reply #28 - June 16, 2010, 12:11 AM

Thanks IA i was about to post that earlier but thought why even bother  banghead
     Reply #29 - June 16, 2010, 12:20 AM

Cheesy

Sahasrara doesn't seem like a very Muslim name. Sahasrara is the name of a chakra in the Hindu/Buddhist tradition which symbolizes enlightenment.
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »