Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: A Campaign To Improve Image Of Islam - "Inspired by Mohammad"

(Read 41006 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 7 8 910 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Campaign Launched To Improve Image Of Islam
     Reply #240 - June 17, 2010, 06:26 PM

good advert

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #241 - June 17, 2010, 06:32 PM

Better than a used condom on my face and a crumpled up 5 dollar bill on my nightstand, which is all you have at the end of the day.

Grin

Don't fuck with the Q  cool2
     Reply #242 - June 17, 2010, 06:35 PM

So if a BNP member called a black man a "nigger" and ended up having the crap beaten out of him, you'd jump in and protect him would you?

That's hate speech and hell no it is not allowed. I would not stand for somebody saying that. And I would not stand for somebody beating him up, that's not right either. But I would call the cops and I would press charges.

Calling somebody a nigger is a horrible thing. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can spew out racist vitriol.

If this is the level you argue at I suggest you find another hobby.
     Reply #243 - June 17, 2010, 06:36 PM

Once again, he avoided my question about the BNP . Roll Eyes

Are you pretending you didn't see it, DH?

Why do I even bother !
     Reply #244 - June 17, 2010, 06:39 PM

The vast majority of Charles Manson's "family" didn't go breaking into people's houses and murdering them. However, a high enough proportion did so to render the prospect of the cult setting up its headquarters in ones neighborhood something not to be welcomed - and indeed to be actively opposed. Or do you regard making comparisons between Islam and Manson's killing cult to be somewhat absurd?

mysmilie_977

Fuck this I'm gonna go and make threads about my penis, it's more productive than arguing with you.
     Reply #245 - June 17, 2010, 06:40 PM

That's hate speech and hell no it is not allowed. I would not stand for somebody saying that. And I would not stand for somebody beating him up, that's not right either. But I would call the cops and I would press charges.

Calling somebody a nigger is a horrible thing. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can spew out racist vitriol.

If this is the level you argue at I suggest you find another hobby.

Hate speech is bullshit. Either you have freedom of speech or you don't. I have the right to say racist things. I'm a filthy donkey fucking paki. Fuck me. I should go back to my own country.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #246 - June 17, 2010, 06:49 PM

I don't agree. And freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything. I think its naive to assume that it meant that. But you should be able to criticize politicians, monarchs, governments, media companies, ideas, religions, ideologies etc etc

The whole point is to have a difference of opinion so we don't fall in the dark ages again. But spewing hateful shit does not contribute to anything. And I wouldn't want to live in a society where you can print this shit:

Reply #247 - June 17, 2010, 06:49 PM

Hate speech is bullshit. Either you have freedom of speech or you don't. I have the right to say racist things. I'm a filthy donkey fucking paki. Fuck me. I should go back to my own country.

lol you're trolling

damn i can't believe i fell for it  Cheesy

still... i make a great post so suck on this iraqi pineapple:

the small one is me at 11
     Reply #248 - June 17, 2010, 06:52 PM

I'm actually not trolling. I know European sensibilities (and Canadian ones) are different. But in America they have it right. People are allowed to spew vitriol and frankly its better that way. I'd rather have my rednecks being open about their hate rather than bottling it up and voting for crazy Hitler-wannabe and putting me in a concentration camp. KKK, neo-nazis, islamists and other faggots all have the right to say their faggoty things and much as they want. Freedom of speech only stops when they *directly* incite violence.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #249 - June 17, 2010, 07:20 PM

I don't agree. And freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything. I think its naive to assume that it meant that. But you should be able to criticize politicians, monarchs, governments, media companies, ideas, religions, ideologies etc etc

The whole point is to have a difference of opinion so we don't fall in the dark ages again. But spewing hateful shit does not contribute to anything. And I wouldn't want to live in a society where you can print this shit:

(Clicky for piccy!)

BD, could you answer my questions in this thread?
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=10321.0

I would like to see where you draw the line.
     Reply #250 - June 17, 2010, 07:43 PM

BD, could you answer my questions in this thread?
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=10321.0

I would like to see where you draw the line.

I will, let me think on it for a minute. I've always been "OK" with demonstrations and leaflets from neo-nazi groups and extreme groups. My problem is I worry it might cause more of these fuckers and I worry for my family. The threat of getting your teeth bashed in by skinheads has always been real, very much so in the past, now, only in certain parts. I see anti-immigration, anti-Islamic posters everywhere and I don't "mind" them. What I'm saying is that I think they are within their right to express their views but I am disgusted beyond words. I hate racism probably more than anything else, being subject to it directly, and having subjugated it on others in the past. I know what it does and what it can lead to.

So in all of these demonstrations and posters I would not think the use of hate-speech. I hate racial slurs, and I'm not sure if this falls under threats, but it gets awfully close. The times these words have been used have been in heated arguments that either led to violence or nearly did. In fact I feel my body tensing up as I write this.

I'm not really sure what to say, I'm split between believing in people should be able to say what they want and people saying what they want and thus leading to further hate and anger. Emotions escalating and some poor person getting hurt. I know it's not related directly, and the argument is inciting violence is punishable. I get that and respect it. But it's so close to home having racial slurs and hate speech usually leads to violence anyways.

I guess my environment is one of preemptive caution. Weed for example is illegal because it's a gateway drug (opinion of media and politicians). So I suppose hate speech falls under this banner. I guess it's because of Europe's WW2 history. People are terrified it might happen again.

I don't want to sound a like child brought up by a nanny-state which is unavoidable since I was brought up by a nanny state but I'm still uncertain about the possible consequences. But at the same time I don't agree to the people that were arrested for saying racist things. Simply because its unpalatable that somebody should be doing time for this, I mean when we have criminals who hurt and injure people. It doesn't feel right to arrest a person for what they say, and even getting fined by the government should be wrong, basically its the government infringing on your natural right to speak your mind. But I still feel very split since I honestly don't feel very sorry for someone that get locked up for it, or is punished. Which is wrong I know, it's simply because I feel so strongly against their views.
     Reply #251 - June 17, 2010, 08:21 PM

I see where you're coming from. My position is you can hate them, oppose them, organize against them but you can't have them locked-up just for expressing their racist views. As long as you don't incite violence or other criminal acts you're allowed to say what you want.
     Reply #252 - June 17, 2010, 08:26 PM

*sigh* I know you're right. But it's super hard for me to accept that. Product of my upbringing.

I know you can say the same thing about Islam. Just give  me a moment. I feel slightly ill right now.
     Reply #253 - June 17, 2010, 09:11 PM

lol take it easy bro. And fuck racists.  Afro
     Reply #254 - June 17, 2010, 09:18 PM

Look man just let me post in the Rant area OK? I don't belong in the debate club. I belong in that weird group that skips class and smokes behind the school. Only thing is that several of the guys in the debate club of CEMB hang out with the outcast group. Yer a bunch of weirdos. Like to use big words and then come and split a big spliff with us. You need to choose IA.

Rant area or I am soo smart area.

*takes a drag from cigarette*

Can't have it both ways  cool2
     Reply #255 - June 17, 2010, 09:22 PM

I'll take the spliff over a debate any day.   grin12
     Reply #256 - June 17, 2010, 09:37 PM

Cheesy Cheesy dance

You'll find girls like her at the hang-out. I hope you're OK with that.
     Reply #257 - June 17, 2010, 09:42 PM

Yum yum.
     Reply #258 - June 18, 2010, 01:34 AM

I'm actually not trolling. I know European sensibilities (and Canadian ones) are different. But in America they have it right. People are allowed to spew vitriol and frankly its better that way. I'd rather have my rednecks being open about their hate rather than bottling it up and voting for crazy Hitler-wannabe and putting me in a concentration camp. KKK, neo-nazis, islamists and other faggots all have the right to say their faggoty things and much as they want. Freedom of speech only stops when they *directly* incite violence.

Very true, but even here historically the courts have carved out some exceptions to freedom of speech for "fighting words" In other words, statements made with the intent to insult and incite, are generally known to inflame passions, and devoid of any political content. In other words, the 1st Amendment would cover a group of Nazis carrying a banner through a Black neighborhood that says "Niggers Go Home!", as it's part of a political demonstration. But some racist wandering into a Black neighborhood and just yelling racial slurs at people wouldn't necessarily. And while the former would have a cordon of cops protecting the demonstrators, the latter would likely result in the guy being arrested for disturbing the peace, if he wasn't assaulted by residents first.

Dick Head's example of a lone BNP member shouting racial slurs at Black people sounds closer to "fighting words" than "protected speech"

fuck you
     Reply #259 - June 18, 2010, 01:50 AM

@ Iblis & Q-man

I have heard of racism in the US, watched movies about racism, read abour racism, but I have NEVER experienced racism in the US and I have been to many cities/states and even *rural* areas.

Do you think I would have noticed racism if I took a job in the US?

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #260 - June 18, 2010, 01:54 AM

Where have you been exactly, for how long and in what context?

fuck you
     Reply #261 - June 18, 2010, 01:59 AM

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #262 - June 18, 2010, 02:01 AM

Okay, first place you listed is a liberal academic bubble. As far as the Northern part of that area is concerned, why were you there? In what context were you there? Who did you go with? What kind of places did you go to?

fuck you
     Reply #263 - June 18, 2010, 02:05 AM

I went to Northern ... as tourist and went with friends (both Saudis and Pakistanis, and one time I went with my family who were visiting from Saudi... they were wearing Hijab--not Burka.. it was face revealing Hijab).. and we never felt unwelcome nor noticed any dirty looks...

Reply #264 - June 18, 2010, 02:07 AM

Reply #265 - June 18, 2010, 02:19 AM

Well, man, I don't know that area, but keep some stuff in mind:

1. Being somewhere as a tourist or university student is much different than being a permanent resident, especially a working-class one. Your interactions with working-class Americans were likely brief and limited, as were, I'm presuming, your interactions outside academia in general. If you went to a public grammar school here or worked on a construction site, I'm pretty sure you would have encountered some racism after a while, if not right off the bat.

2. Other than certain parts of the country, Americans are generally known for being polite and welcoming to strangers/visitors. That doesn't actually mean they respect you or your religion/culture.

3. You can't always judge how someone thinks based solely on how they act in front of you. The American South is an excellent example. I knew tons of Southerners who would be sickly sweet and ridiculously polite to Black folks, then the minute they are away from them and amongst other White-skinned people it's nigger this and nigger that.

You want to see how White Americans really feel about you-- go to a redneck bar, alcohol has a tendency to remove the mask people wear in front of you.

fuck you
     Reply #266 - June 18, 2010, 02:23 AM

well I really felt their politeness and friendliness were genuine.. but as you explained, probably the context is a key factor.

Reply #267 - June 18, 2010, 02:32 AM

well I really felt their politeness and friendliness were genuine...

Doesn't mean they were. A lot of people in the US and elsewhere have been culturally conditioned to be polite and friendly to people even if they talk shit behind their backs and have no respect for them. A lot of them have been acting their whole lives and have become very adept at presenting a convincing demeanor.

But maybe they were all genuine. There are a lot of White Americans, even in rural areas, who aren't racist, and maybe you were lucky enough to have interactions only with them. But it seems unlikely that in 5 years you didn't meet at least one person who was racist against Arabs, even if they didn't let it show.

fuck you
     Reply #268 - June 18, 2010, 02:36 AM

btw, I forgot to mention that I have been to Europe (...) and Canada (...), both with family and I always felt like a stranger (by their looks, cold interactions), never so in the US!

Also, I heard that after 9/11, Muslims/Arabs were far much better treated in the US than in Canada/Australia/UK.

My personal conclusion is that the US is the least racist country in the world.

Reply #269 - June 18, 2010, 02:42 AM

• Previous page 1 ... 7 8 910 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »