Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What's happened to the fo...
Today at 12:54 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:49 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: A Campaign To Improve Image Of Islam - "Inspired by Mohammad"

(Read 41026 times)
  • 12 3 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • A Campaign To Improve Image Of Islam - "Inspired by Mohammad"
     OP - June 05, 2010, 09:15 AM

A group called Exploring Islam Foundation is due to launch a campaign called 'Inspired by Mohammad' next week in London. This will consist of posters across London which challenge 'misperceptions' about Islam. What do you guys think?

Take the Pakman challenge and convince me there is a God and Mo was not a murdering, power hungry sex maniac.
  • Re: Inspired by Mohammad
     Reply #1 - June 05, 2010, 05:06 PM

As billy would say "Dawaganda".
     Reply #2 - June 06, 2010, 01:12 AM

Iraqi Atheist

Don't forget the lying and deception part.
     Reply #3 - June 06, 2010, 01:48 AM

+1 Afro

Any attempt at polishing the image of Islam will fail.  The internet is full of all Islam's ugly dogma.  Anyone can look it up now.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #4 - June 06, 2010, 12:49 PM

A group called Exploring Islam Foundation is due to launch a campaign called 'Inspired by Mohammad' next week in London. This will consist of posters across London which challenge 'misperceptions' about Islam. What do you guys think?

Dawah. I like it. Because the increase in focus towards Mohammad and using him as the spike to skewer Islam into people will lead inevitably to a counter interest in the TRUTH about him. Muslims don't realise they are fattening up the pig for roasting.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - June 06, 2010, 12:50 PM

Hey dude! I LOVE that word, but I picked it up from someone here, I think one of the original members invented it.

But it is a brilliant coinage and whoever invented it, I salute them  Afro

God is Love.

Reply #6 - June 06, 2010, 12:52 PM

+1 Afro

Any attempt at polishing the image of Islam will fail.  The internet is full of all Islam's ugly dogma.  Anyone can look it up now.

Plus, I think there will be more concerted, more rational, less 'cartoon' take downs of Islam's achilles heel, Mohammad, in the near future. The truth will begin to be disseminated.

God is Love.

Reply #7 - June 06, 2010, 02:52 PM

Hey dude! I LOVE that word, but I picked it up from someone here, I think one of the original members invented it.

Thank you Smiley
     Reply #8 - June 06, 2010, 06:28 PM

Oh it was you BD? poor thing can't take credit for anything  grin12

Reply #9 - June 06, 2010, 06:57 PM

Was it Anwar Shaikh? I seem to remember first encountering that word in his "testimony" in Ibn Warraq's book, "Leaving Islam: Apostates speak out". Any ideas?
     Reply #10 - June 06, 2010, 07:11 PM

Oh it was you BD? poor thing can't take credit for anything  grin12

ROFL

I jokes. I think it was Manat though, not sure.
     Reply #11 - June 06, 2010, 07:59 PM

The coinage came from somewhere, but it wasn't from here.
     Reply #12 - June 06, 2010, 08:00 PM

Can we do a search for the first time it was ever used on this site?
  • Campaign Launched To Improve Image Of Islam
     Reply #13 - June 07, 2010, 08:38 AM

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Inspired-by-Muhammad-Campaign-Launched-To-Improve-Image-Of-Islam/Article/201006115644684?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15644684_Inspired_by_Muhammad_Campaign_Launched_To_Improve_Image_Of_Islam

A campaign to improve the image of Islam has been launched after an opinion poll found that more than half of British people associate the religion with extremism and terrorism.

Muslims hope the campaign will boost their religion's image
    "Inspired by Muhammad" aims to promote Islam as a faith which contributes positively to British society.
    Posters of Muslims with captions like: "I believe in rights for women ... so did Muhammad" will feature at bus stops, Tube stations and on London cabs.
    It is a reaction to a YouGov poll which found that 58% of the British population surveyed associated Islam with extremism, 50% associate it with terrorism and 68% feel the religion encourages the repression of women.
    TV presenter and Islam convert Kristiane Backer is one of the faces of the campaign.
    She said: "This negative image is the reason for the need of a campaign, the reason for coming out with some positive news, reflecting the truth and showing what Islam is about.

Kristiane Backer is a strong advocate of Islam
    "Values of compassion, peace, mercy, women's rights, social justice - these are all part of Islam.
    "We're just trying to focus on some of those values, some of those messages that reflect the true Islam of mainstream Muslims."
    Following the terrorist attacks on London in 2005 and the attempted attack on Glasgow airport in 2007, there has been an anti-Islamic feeling in some parts of Britain.
    The poster campaign aims to dispel the negative stereotypes of the religion.
    Islamic author Ed Husain said: "Sadly, just like with football hooliganism, where you have a minority of football hooligans destroying the image of football fans in general, among Islam and Muslims we have a situation where, as a result of the activities of a minority of Muslims and their twisted understanding of the prophet's teachings, we have an entire faith and a 1,400-year-old spiritual tradition being demonised.
    "So this campaign helps refocus and rebalance the image of Islam - that the religion is not a violent one."

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
  • Re: Campaign Launched To Improve Image Of Islam
     Reply #14 - June 07, 2010, 08:51 AM

Meh. Bollocks. More dawahganda.  whistling2

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #15 - June 07, 2010, 09:14 AM

One way to improve their image would be to organise protests against terrorism with the same level of enthusiasm they do when someone draws a picture of Mo with a bomb on his head.

It won't happen though.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #16 - June 07, 2010, 09:36 AM

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Inspired-by-Muhammad-Campaign-Launched-To-Improve-Image-Of-Islam/Article/201006115644684?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15644684_Inspired_by_Muhammad_Campaign_Launched_To_Improve_Image_Of_Islam

A campaign to improve the image of Islam has been launched after an opinion poll found that more than half of British people associate the religion with extremism and terrorism.

Muslims hope the campaign will boost their religion's image
    "Inspired by Muhammad" aims to promote Islam as a faith which contributes positively to British society.
    Posters of Muslims with captions like: "I believe in rights for women ... so did Muhammad" will feature at bus stops, Tube stations and on London cabs.
    It is a reaction to a YouGov poll which found that 58% of the British population surveyed associated Islam with extremism, 50% associate it with terrorism and 68% feel the religion encourages the repression of women.
    TV presenter and Islam convert Kristiane Backer is one of the faces of the campaign.
    She said: "This negative image is the reason for the need of a campaign, the reason for coming out with some positive news, reflecting the truth and showing what Islam is about.

Kristiane Backer is a strong advocate of Islam
    "Values of compassion, peace, mercy, women's rights, social justice - these are all part of Islam.
    "We're just trying to focus on some of those values, some of those messages that reflect the true Islam of mainstream Muslims."
    Following the terrorist attacks on London in 2005 and the attempted attack on Glasgow airport in 2007, there has been an anti-Islamic feeling in some parts of Britain.
    The poster campaign aims to dispel the negative stereotypes of the religion.
    Islamic author Ed Husain said: "Sadly, just like with football hooliganism, where you have a minority of football hooligans destroying the image of football fans in general, among Islam and Muslims we have a situation where, as a result of the activities of a minority of Muslims and their twisted understanding of the prophet's teachings, we have an entire faith and a 1,400-year-old spiritual tradition being demonised.
    "So this campaign helps refocus and rebalance the image of Islam - that the religion is not a violent one."

Typical. Instead of a critical re-evaluation of the teachings of traditional Islam, everything is just chalked up to nothing more than the misinformed, Islamophobic and probably slightly racist 'misunderstanding' of Islam on the part of non-Muslims.

Nothing more than a transparent PR campaign. I doubt people will fall for it.

How can they? With the kind of nonsense that we get from Islamic radicals, even the most dim-witted of individuals cannot fail to see that there is something about traditional Islam that its apologists would rather we didn't know about.
     Reply #17 - June 07, 2010, 09:46 AM

Yup. Of course the death penalty for apostasy isn't evidence that Islam is violent. Deary me, no. To suggest such a thing would be pure Islamophobia. You can kill people without being violent about it.  whistling2

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #18 - June 07, 2010, 09:49 AM

Yup. Of course the death penalty for apostasy isn't evidence that Islam is violent. Deary me, no. To suggest such a thing would be pure Islamophobia. You can kill people without being violent about it.  whistling2

Yeah, it's just as they say, it's just like football hooliganism is to football.  Because we all know that in the football rule book it details how opposing teams should kick the shit out of each other after the match, but the players don't participate in that because it was metaphorical or something.

Reply #19 - June 07, 2010, 10:00 AM

Haha

Yeah, it's just as they say, it's just like football hooliganism is to football.  Because we all know that in the football rule book it details how opposing teams should kick the shit out of each other after the match, but the players don't participate in that because it was metaphorical or something.

In Islam, you can invite the other team to concede defeat, and if they don't, then you can kick the shit out of them   Afro
     Reply #20 - June 07, 2010, 10:08 AM

In Islam, you can invite the other team to concede defeat, and if they don't, then you can kick the shit out of them   Afro

Cheesy

Reply #21 - June 07, 2010, 12:01 PM

There's already another thread on this started a few days ago:
    Inspired by Mohammad
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=10582.0

but this thread is better. Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #22 - June 07, 2010, 12:16 PM

Meh. Bollocks. More dawahganda.  whistling2

Is right.

Thing is, these sorts of 'image improvement' exercises have been continual since 9/11 and even before that, in one form or another.

Wouldn't the energy be better expended on persuading the extremists and literalists within Islam about these things?

Once again, you see Muslims making efforts to 'correct' supposed misperceptions of Islam amongst the kaffirs, rather than dealing with the issues, as if these 'misperceptions' amongst non Muslims are the problem.

Save your efforts for those who 'misperceive' Islam from within the house of Islam. If they are misperceiving things at all, that is.

God is Love.

Reply #23 - June 07, 2010, 12:20 PM

For fucks sake  Roll Eyes

Remember a while back there was a thread about some right-wingers in America who made bus adverts giving a helpline for apostates of Islam?

What I wouldn't give for COEM or some other body to have a budget to put adverts on the Underground, on buses and cabs in London telling the truth about Islam.

(Where are they getting funding for this? Can't be cheap)

Anyway, the other thing is, I can't help feeling that there will be a general backlash against this kind of dawah. People just don't believe it anymore.

God is Love.

Reply #24 - June 07, 2010, 12:22 PM

One way to improve their image would be to organise protests against terrorism with the same level of enthusiasm they do when someone draws a picture of Mo with a bomb on his head.

It won't happen though.

+1
    They know that once they start condemning terrorism, they will soon be forced to condemn jihad, which is an integral part of Islam.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #25 - June 07, 2010, 12:22 PM

Typical. Instead of a critical re-evaluation of the teachings of traditional Islam, everything is just chalked up to nothing more than the misinformed, Islamophobic and probably slightly racist 'misunderstanding' of Islam on the part of non-Muslims.

Nothing more than a transparent PR campaign. I doubt people will fall for it.

How can they? With the kind of nonsense that we get from Islamic radicals, even the most dim-witted of individuals cannot fail to see that there is something about traditional Islam that its apologists would rather we didn't know about.

Exactly.

What annoys me though, is that there never seems to be journalists or news presenters who put this to the dawah merchants when interviewing them. Its so frustrating.

God is Love.

Reply #26 - June 07, 2010, 12:34 PM

What annoys me though, is that there never seems to be journalists or news presenters who put this to the dawah merchants when interviewing them. Its so frustrating.

I think there is more to be gained by convincing Muslims that Islam is peaceful than there is convincing Kuffs that it is not.

Reply #27 - June 07, 2010, 12:40 PM

That may be true, but it would be nice for them to be picked up on these points.

God is Love.

Reply #28 - June 07, 2010, 02:23 PM

The problem I have with improving an "image" is that it doesn't seem sincere. Improving your image is trying to change the way other people look at the outward aspects of your religion or ideology, but dig a little deeper and what is really so different? It shouldn't be about improving the "image" of Islam, it should be about improving Islam. Sadly, I think this is only going to happen in the same way that it happened with Christianity - disregarding the stone-throwing rules and cherry-picking what applies to modern secular society that values freedom.

In any case, you can change the image of a devil by dressing him up in a nice tuxedo, but if his attitude and mannerisms are still the same then there's always going to be a problem...
     Reply #29 - June 07, 2010, 02:58 PM

Muslims are too scared to criticise Islamic dogma, out of fear of being branded as heretics.  We need to sweep away the old guard and bring in some fresh blood, like supporters of the Quilliam Foundation, who are willing to challenge traditional thinking and work towards the enlightenment of Islam.

Baloney Detection Kit
  • 12 3 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »