Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: hey

(Read 3462 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • hey
     OP - May 24, 2010, 03:22 PM

hi everyone,

i am not an ex-muslim but an atheist sufficiently concerned about islam to snoop in here Smiley

from india btw. anyone else?
  • Re: hey
     Reply #1 - May 24, 2010, 03:28 PM

Hi there! What a strange username  Wink

Welcome to the forum. Indian here too Smiley

Reply #2 - May 24, 2010, 03:30 PM

Welcome to the forum, hugs
    from an indian living in the UK.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #3 - May 24, 2010, 03:35 PM

Yeah, i would expect plenty of indians, just by statistical chance. There are more of us than us and europe combined Cheesy
     Reply #4 - May 24, 2010, 03:37 PM

Hi there & welcome! Descendant from the region too, live in the UK. I love chicken 65's.
     Reply #5 - May 24, 2010, 03:37 PM

We are taking over the world - one pani puri stall at a time  cool2

Reply #6 - May 24, 2010, 03:41 PM

i am guessing personal identities would be a big deal here right. on other fora, its probably easier to give away personal info without worrying about repurcussions Smiley
     Reply #7 - May 24, 2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah some of the members here would have to be careful, but there are others that don't really have to worry too much.

Reply #8 - May 24, 2010, 03:55 PM

I'll sell my personal info to anyone who wants it.

And welcome Smiley

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #9 - May 24, 2010, 03:57 PM

Cheesy I thought you were an angel Ephemeral.  Cheesy

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #10 - May 24, 2010, 04:00 PM

hi everyone,

i am not an ex-muslim but an atheist sufficiently concerned about islam to snoop in here Smiley

Yep, we had one join just yesteday but there are few others too

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - May 24, 2010, 04:01 PM

hi everyone,

So tell us how you found us? YouTube? facebook?

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #12 - May 24, 2010, 04:05 PM

i came to know about CEMB on youtube. but i don't exactly remember how i got linked to this forum. i was googling around and i hit ffi first. then hit a link here somehow.
     Reply #13 - May 24, 2010, 04:21 PM

so anyone want to hazard a guess at the number of private renouncers of islam (local or global guesses)
     Reply #14 - May 24, 2010, 04:22 PM

30 000 cool2

Just because.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #15 - May 24, 2010, 05:37 PM

so anyone want to hazard a guess at the number of private renouncers of islam (local or global guesses)

1-2% ?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - May 24, 2010, 05:42 PM

Really IsLame.  Very interesting.  The number of nominal/non-practising Muslims is quite high though.  I'm sure over time they will find the courage to kick religion entirely. Wink

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #17 - May 24, 2010, 05:51 PM

I am just guessing, but I agree its interesting to see what people think. 

Can everyone who reads this post (YES, THAT MEANS YOU  banana dance), stick your finger in the air and give your guess of the % of Muslims who privately realise Islam is hogwash.

Then we might be able to take an average and get a better idea with the average guess lol.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - May 24, 2010, 05:58 PM

Here is my guess about Baghdad's Muslims (excluding Christians, Sabaens...etc):

Atheists/agnostics: 5%
    Non-practising Muslims (nominal/cultural): 35%
    Practising Muslims: 60%

Iraq as a whole:

Atheists/agnostics: 2%
    Non-practising Muslims (nominal/cultural): 23%
    Practising Muslims: 75%

Oh and welcome to the forum s12345 !
     Reply #19 - May 24, 2010, 06:13 PM

I just want to clarify that by non-practising I meant Muslims who believe in Allah and Mohammed but live secular lives. They might fast every other Ramadan or pray intermittently but their way of life and ideology is not shaped by religion.
    They would drink, get into romantic relationships, don't wear hijab, wear tight jeans and sleeveless shirts, have pre-marital sex.....etc (one or any combination of the above).

Practicing Muslims can still do any of those activities and might skip prayers or Ramadans but Islam is still a integral part of their lives.
     Reply #20 - May 24, 2010, 06:50 PM

thanks for the welcome iraqi atheist. do you think the % of non practicing people will go up in a generation significantly? another interesting question might be how many of the non practicing ones are effectively atheistic and won't respond emotionally to political ideas rooted in islam ( like the iranian revolution or islam based party manifestoes e.g.)
     Reply #21 - May 24, 2010, 07:16 PM

do you think the % of non practicing people will go up in a generation significantly?

Not significantly but in the long run yes. But there will be a gap b/t males and females in my opinion. Women are socially oppressed and shackled by societal expectations. They are more forced to stick to norms than men are.

another interesting question might be how many of the non practicing ones are effectively atheistic and won't respond emotionally to political ideas rooted in islam ( like the iranian revolution or islam based party manifestoes e.g.)

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. If you're asking whether they are not politically religious and Islam doesn't shape their ideology, then yes I would say most of them don't care that much about religion in that sense.
    If you're asking whether they are practically atheist, no they still believe in a personal intervening god and believe in the after-life.
     Reply #22 - May 24, 2010, 07:24 PM

I agree with Iraqi Atheist.  I would add that, when I was a Muslim, I was uncomfortable with Sharia law, because it seemed barbaric, but I still believed Islam was the true religion.  I was also uncomfortable with the intolerant dogma against Jews and other disbelievers.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #23 - May 24, 2010, 07:27 PM

I was comfortble with multiple marriages, but punishment for Hindus and treatment of Jews began the corrosion for me too.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »