Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

(Read 13201 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists
     OP - May 20, 2010, 05:56 PM

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10132762.stm

Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first synthetic living cell.

The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.
    The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.
    The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.
    The researchers hope eventually to design bacterial cells that will produce medicines and fuels and even absorb greenhouse gases.
    The team was led by Dr Craig Venter of the J Craig Venter Institute in Maryland and California.
    He and his colleagues had previously made a synthetic bacterial genome, and transplanted the genome of one bacterium into another.
    Now, the scientists have put both methods together, to create what they call a "synthetic cell", although only its genome is truly synthetic.
    Dr Venter likened the advance to making new software for the cell.
    The researchers copied an existing bacterial genome. They sequenced its genetic code and then used "synthesis machines" to chemically construct a copy.
    Dr Venter told BBC News: "We've now been able to take our synthetic chromosome and transplant it into a recipient cell - a different organism.
    "As soon as this new software goes into the cell, the cell reads [it] and converts into the species specified in that genetic code."
    The new bacteria replicated over a billion times, producing copies that contained and were controlled by the constructed, synthetic DNA.
    "This is the first time any synthetic DNA has been in complete control of a cell," said Dr Venter.

'New industrial revolution'
    Dr Venter and his colleagues hope eventually to design and build new bacteria that will perform useful functions.
    "I think they're going to potentially create a new industrial revolution," he said.
    "If we can really get cells to do the production that we want, they could help wean us off oil and reverse some of the damage to the environment by capturing carbon dioxide."
    Dr Venter and his colleagues are already collaborating with pharmaceutical and fuel companies to design and develop chromosomes for bacteria that would produce useful fuels and new vaccines.
    But critics say that the potential benefits of synthetic organisms have been overstated.
    Dr Helen Wallace from Genewatch UK, an organisation that monitors developments in genetic technologies, told BBC News that synthetic bacteria could be dangerous.
    "If you release new organisms into the environment, you can do more harm than good," she said.
    "By releasing them into areas of pollution, [with the aim of cleaning it up], you're actually releasing a new kind of pollution.
    "We don't know how these organisms will behave in the environment."
    Dr Wallace accused Dr Venter of playing down the potential drawbacks.
    "He isn't God," she said, "he's actually being very human; trying to get money invested in his technology and avoid regulation that would restrict its use."
    But Dr Venter said that he was "driving the discussions" about the regulations governing this relatively new scientific field and about the ethical implications of the work.
    He said: "In 2003, when we made the first synthetic virus, it underwent an extensive ethical review that went all the way up to the level of the White House.
    "And there have been extensive reviews including from the National Academy of Sciences, which has done a comprehensive report on this new field.
    "We think these are important issues and we urge continued discussion that we want to take part in."

Genetic breakthrough
    Dr Gos Micklem, a geneticist from the University of Cambridge, said that the advance was "undoubtedly a landmark" study.
    But, he said, "there is already a wealth of simple, cheap, powerful and mature techniques for genetically engineering a range of organisms. Therefore, for the time being, this approach is unlikely to supplant existing methods for genetic engineering".
    The ethical discussions surrounding the creation of synthetic or artificial life are set to continue.
    Professor Julian Savulescu, from the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics at the University of Oxford, said the potential of this science was "in the far future, but real and significant".
    "But the risks are also unparalleled," he continued. "We need new standards of safety evaluation for this kind of radical research and protections from military or terrorist misuse and abuse.
    "These could be used in the future to make the most powerful bioweapons imaginable. The challenge is to eat the fruit without the worm."

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • Re: 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists
     Reply #1 - May 20, 2010, 06:01 PM

This is great. Thanks for the information, Ateapotist. I find the idea of a new sort of industrial evolution intriguing. Especially as we're about to head face first into a major crisis.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #2 - May 20, 2010, 06:04 PM

synthetic DNA - I'm dumbfounded

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - May 20, 2010, 06:04 PM

I, for one, welcome our new synthetic bacteria overlords!

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves." - from Goethes Faust
    "Only the wisest and the stupidest men never change." - Confuzios
    "there is no religion of peace, only people who are peaceful while being religious."
     Reply #4 - May 20, 2010, 06:06 PM

Awesome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnwIIKnWJtg

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #5 - May 20, 2010, 06:06 PM

Craig Venter is God. Narcissist

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - May 20, 2010, 06:11 PM

Here is Craig Venter's talk at TED in 2008:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_is_on_the_verge_of_creating_synthetic_life.html

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #7 - May 20, 2010, 06:23 PM

Now we can design pelicans who can scoop up and digest oil spills!

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #8 - May 20, 2010, 06:23 PM

Amazing.
     Reply #9 - May 20, 2010, 06:24 PM

Now we can design pelicans who can scoop up and digest oil spills!

So I have to keep buying new bedsheets?  wacko
     Reply #10 - May 20, 2010, 06:37 PM

Oh my God!

The possibilities are endless!

I'm talking about science fiction movies based on this new breakthrough!

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #11 - May 20, 2010, 06:38 PM

I bet some Muslims are already scouring Quran for evidence that this was predicted in there!

God is Love.

Reply #12 - May 20, 2010, 07:16 PM

I, for one, welcome our new synthetic bacteria overlords!

Cheesy

Good one, dude.

Personally, unless this breakthrough leads to sex bots in the near future, I could care less.

fuck you
     Reply #13 - May 20, 2010, 08:08 PM

Personally, unless this breakthrough leads to sex bots in the near future, I could care less.

Of course, if we can make DNA we could make sex bots armed with donkey sized penises, wings, & breasts where your arse is and some nipples on the end for good measure.  Corrr!!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - May 20, 2010, 08:18 PM

I've just been reading up on this and its freaking me out. On the BBC News 24 headlines the newsreader quoted someone who said this is a discovery as big as splitting the atom. What the fuckety fuck?

They could create zombie cells or something and fuck us all up? Military applications? Morphs out of control spreading a never ending chain reaction of cancer cells that destroy the fabric of out planet I mean WTF  Huh?

God is Love.

Reply #15 - May 20, 2010, 08:26 PM

Zombies, fuck yeah! I'm ready for 'em. Bring it!

fuck you
     Reply #16 - May 20, 2010, 08:29 PM

Q-Man the last man on Earth in Philadelphia with his guns surrounded by zombies  Grin

God is Love.

Reply #17 - May 20, 2010, 08:30 PM

Assessing the impact of Venter's 'synthetic life'

Susan Watts

Building a life form in the laboratory - piece by piece from DNA building blocks - is as groundbreaking as it sounds.

And this is just what the American scientist, Dr Craig Venter, has announced on Thursday evening.

Dr Venter is the controversial scientist who famously developed a "short cut" for decoding the human genome a decade ago.

And the creation of his synthetic microbe is being compared with Dolly the sheep in genetics, and Microsoft's operating system in computing.

"Synthetic life" is new science and a new technology rolled into one.

The aim is to create a whole new biological toolkit - organisms with artificially added DNA instructing them to exude cleaner oils, or novel drugs or vaccines.

Dr Venter has been promising this for years, and now that he has succeeded we'll be hearing a lot about how he has "created life in the lab".

It's not quite that - not yet - but it's close.

Dr Venter and his team built "Synthia", as they've named their new life form, from snippets of DNA called "cassettes".

But he is still relying on a naturally-occurring microbe to act as a host - with its own DNA stripped out.

Don't misunderstand me. What Dr Venter has done is incredible science. I've already heard it described as Nobel prize-winning, "landmark", work.

But there is always an element of razzmatazz surrounding Dr Venter's research that makes it harder to sift fact from hype.

It will certainly raise the profile of a whole new field of science Synthetic Biology - less than decade old.

Filming at the Royal Society this morning - where coincidentally they were hosting a meeting on Synthetic Biology, a portrait of Charles Darwin gazed down the corridor towards the library.

I wondered what he would make of the discussion among a couple of dozen of today's brightest scientists and thinkers - gathered to ponder the latest in Synthetic Biology.

They are in no doubt that the potential is there for a new industrial revolution.

Dr Venter's microbe is just the start. Others will be inspired to build on it.

This is how Dr Venter sees his team's success: "This is an important step we think, both scientifically and philosophically. It's certainly changed my views of the definitions of life and how life works."

But just as Dr Venter unveiled his work, the critics lined up to call a halt.

There are calls for a moratorium until society can better understand the implications.

And even some of the scientists who work in the field have told me they worry that we lack the means to weigh up the risks such novel organisms might represent, once set loose in the real world.

They are by definition so new that we cannot simply compare them with the risky microbes and pathogens we know about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/susanwatts/2010/05/assessing_the_impact_of_venter.html

God is Love.

Reply #18 - May 20, 2010, 08:42 PM

I've just been reading up on this and its freaking me out. On the BBC News 24 headlines the newsreader quoted someone who said this is a discovery as big as splitting the atom. What the fuckety fuck?

They could create zombie cells or something and fuck us all up? Military applications? Morphs out of control spreading a never ending chain reaction of cancer cells that destroy the fabric of out planet I mean WTF  Huh?

As long as this technology is with a free democratic state, I feel safe.  People will always feel free to question any area they are not comfortable with, and appropriate checks will be put in place.  In the article it says:
    Dr Venter said "We think these are important issues and we urge continued discussion that we want to take part in."

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #19 - May 20, 2010, 09:04 PM

But if it gets into the hands of unscrupulous mad scientists  Huh?

And this:

And even some of the scientists who work in the field have told me they worry that we lack the means to weigh up the risks such novel organisms might represent, once set loose in the real world.

They are by definition so new that we cannot simply compare them with the risky microbes and pathogens we know about.

Either way, this is exciting! 'A new industrial revolution' - wow!

I wonder what the world will be like in 100 years with all these science and technologies being dicovered and converging.

I envy my great grandchildren! They will look back on us as backwards the same way we look back on people in 1910 with their rubbish technology!

God is Love.

Reply #20 - May 20, 2010, 09:12 PM

Yeah, me too.  I'd love to be here in 100 years time just to see what the technology will be like.
    Unless, of course, modern civilisation goes downhill and society collapses before then.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #21 - May 20, 2010, 09:15 PM

It's time to bring out the cryo-freeze.

I just don't want to be thawed and wake up in Sharia-ruled world. lipsrsealed
     Reply #22 - May 20, 2010, 09:17 PM

Unless, of course, modern civilisation goes downhill and society collapses before then.

Whoops, yeah. I hadn't thought of that.

In that case, @ my great grandchildren.

If not, they will be so lucky to see all this stuff come together!

I am so envious of them!

God is Love.

Reply #23 - May 20, 2010, 09:20 PM

Pfft please they'll have cryo freeze while we have cryo engine. You tell me which one is better.

They will have virtual reliaty sex while we have imaginary virtual reality sex. you tell me which one is better.

They will have a robot chef that has mastered all the cooking styles of the world while we have Ferrors pictures to watch. You tell me..

OK that's enough of that
     Reply #24 - May 21, 2010, 10:49 AM

Fascinating stuff! I just read the original article in Science - if anyone fancies a read, just PM me your email address and I'll send you the pdf version.

What they basically did was to use the sequenced genome of a certain strain of bacteria, and use all of that sequence information to build an almost similar DNA (in the form of a chromosome)  in the laboratory - this was an impressive feat and one of the major breakthroughs of the study. They then injected this newly synthesized DNA into an already living bacterial cell, whilst causng the bacteria's orgininal genome to be discarded. The bacterial cell was found to still be able to replicate and  do all the things it was meant to do - basically the syntheised DNA that they had injected 'worked' - it was able to take control of the cell and keep it living.

This is great stuff, and it should be a useful technological tool - targeting the endogenous DNA of an organism is not easy and is frought with difficulties. This technology should make it easy to synthesize a genome with subtle changes and make a cell work more efficiently to do what you want it to - for example you could potentially synthesize a genome that makes a bacterial cell produce a bio-fuel more efficiently.

In terms of the gain in new technology this could be huge. Although we have not gained too much new scientific knowledge from this study (that was not the purpose of this work) they basically showed that this new technology is possible and that it might potentially work to great benefit for humankind.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #25 - May 21, 2010, 10:58 AM

So how should we prepare for the imminent zombie threat?
     Reply #26 - May 21, 2010, 11:01 AM

stay behind me son, i'll protect you

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #27 - May 21, 2010, 11:22 AM

Grin
     Reply #28 - May 21, 2010, 11:29 AM

Fascinating stuff! I just read the original article in Science - if anyone fancies a read, just PM me your email address and I'll send you the pdf version.

What they basically did was to use the sequenced genome of a certain strain of bacteria, and use all of that sequence information to build an almost similar DNA (in the form of a chromosome)  in the laboratory - this was an impressive feat and one of the major breakthroughs of the study. They then injected this newly synthesized DNA into an already living bacterial cell, whilst causng the bacteria's orgininal genome to be discarded. The bacterial cell was found to still be able to replicate and  do all the things it was meant to do - basically the syntheised DNA that they had injected 'worked' - it was able to take control of the cell and keep it living.

This is great stuff, and it should be a useful technological tool - targeting the endogenous DNA of an organism is not easy and is frought with difficulties. This technology should make it easy to synthesize a genome with subtle changes and make a cell work more efficiently to do what you want it to - for example you could potentially synthesize a genome that makes a bacterial cell produce a bio-fuel more efficiently.

In terms of the gain in new technology this could be huge. Although we have not gained too much new scientific knowledge from this study (that was not the purpose of this work) they basically showed that this new technology is possible and that it might potentially work to great benefit for humankind.

Incredible! This could change the way we live then, in terms of fuel for cars and planes etc etc

God is Love.

Reply #29 - May 21, 2010, 11:51 AM

Q-Man the last man on Earth in Philadelphia with his guns surrounded by zombies  Grin

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »