Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 'Al-Qaeda ringleader' wins appeal against deportation

(Read 19279 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: 'Al-Qaeda ringleader' wins appeal against deportation
     Reply #60 - May 19, 2010, 10:55 PM

I think we are living in times where laws need to adapt and be refined to the threat of terrorism.

(which I do believe have been severely compromised because too many people in power think like you).

I'm interested in the compromise. Last I heard was the UK police stopped 180,000 people but only arrested 255.

I did see on TV a Muslim in the UK who was downloading terrorist material (for a research paper on terrorists) and was arrested and let off in the same day (I think). I say that was good work by our police and I'm glad they are doing something about it at the same time dealing with him so quickly.

I'm a realist, and am able to understand when I've been interrogated and why (at an airport). It's the world we live in today.
     Reply #61 - May 19, 2010, 11:57 PM

I think we are living in times where laws need to adapt and be refined to the threat of terrorism.

Yep, and this is the essential flaw in your reasoning, and in neocon reasoning in general. "New" circumstances demand we adapt basic principles of justice and respect for natural rights. Bullshit. There's nothing new under the sun. Terrorism has been around for a very long time, death and violence even longer.

Consider this, Mr. Consequentialist-- if a terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11 happened each year, I'm still over 7 times more likely to be killed by some other form of murder, and over 14 times more likely to be killed in a car accident. Add all that and the diseases and death by other accidents together, and how likely you think it is I'd be killed by a terrorist as opposed to something else?

I'm interested in the compromise.

On fundamental principles of justice and basic, natural rights I have NO interest in compromise.

I did see on TV a Muslim in the UK who was downloading terrorist material (for a research paper on terrorists) and was arrested and let off in the same day (I think). I say that was good work by our police and I'm glad they are doing something about it at the same time dealing with him so quickly.

Okay, so the cops did a good job in this case. What does that prove? I can provide plenty of counter-examples too. You trust the authorities. I don't. I am a libertarian, you are an authoritarian-- that's the basic ideological difference here.

I'm a realist, and am able to understand when I've been interrogated and why (at an airport). It's the world we live in today.

1. To the part I italicized-- questioning someone is not necessarily a violation of their rights or due process. Don't compare apples to oranges.

2. To the part I bolded-- I'm a realist too. You saw the numbers I cited above, and the real chances of dying in a terrorist attack. You choose to live in irrational fear, I don't. That's one of the big problems in both the US and UK (and likely many other places)-- too many people willing to sacrifice freedom for a false sense of security

fuck you
     Reply #62 - May 20, 2010, 12:29 AM

I can provide plenty of counter-examples too.

I'd like to see these please.

You trust the authorities. I don't. I am a libertarian, you are an authoritarian-- that's the basic ideological difference here.

Not to flame and purely to define my position: Not really. I was liberal until I was mugged by reality. Now I beleive in drawing a line. I still am a liberal, up until that line.
     Reply #63 - May 20, 2010, 12:36 AM

Consider this, Mr. Consequentialist-- if a terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11 happened each year, I'm still over 7 times more likely to be killed by some other form of murder, and over 14 times more likely to be killed in a car accident. Add all that and the diseases and death by other accidents together, and how likely you think it is I'd be killed by a terrorist as opposed to something else?

Not to flame again, but this is pure relativism. Just because it is a low probability doesn't mean we don't do anything about it. We have police and laws (and in the UK gun laws) to prevent murders, have licences and speeding cameras to monitor road users and to combat diseases with medicine.
     Reply #64 - May 20, 2010, 12:54 AM

I'd like to see these please.

Jeez dude, so many examples of the authorities going after innocent people (and those are just the ones we know about, which I'm betting are a minority). What kinds of counter-examples would you like?

Not to flame and purely to define my position: Not really. I was liberal until I was mugged by reality. Now I beleive in drawing a line. I still am a liberal, up until that line.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that phrase, coined by the founder of LGF, an even nastier cesspool of hate and bigotry than FFI. It's catchy but meaningless-- a shibboleth to tell people you are a neocon, nothing more.

You speak of reality, even after I posed, in very concrete terms, the real risk of being killed by a terrorist. Again, you are ruled by fear. People ruled by fear are willing to throw every principle out the window in their perceived self-interest. Yes, you are liberal up to a point-- you are liberal up to the point that your fear outweighs your principle, and that line isn't too damn far from your starting point.

You speak of being mugged by reality, but have you ever been mugged IN reality? I have, I fought back and won. But I've been assaulted by street thugs and lost too. Spent a couple weeks in the hospital once, not that was my first visit to the hospital. Do you know what my response to being a victim of crime was? Well, I'll tell you what it was not-- giving up my liberties, and those of others, and begging the mighty state to protect me. That is cowardly. And there are only two kinds of authoritarians in my opinion-- the power-hungry and cowards.

You like pithy expressions and quotes? I'll give ya a fine one--

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

That's from Ben Franklin a man with more courage and principle in his pinky finger than your boy Chuck Johnson has in his entire body.

Not to flame again, but this is pure relativism. Just because it is a low probability doesn't mean we don't do anything about it. We have police and laws (and in the UK gun laws) to prevent murders, have licences and speeding cameras to monitor road users and to combat diseases with medicine.

Hey dude, you can accuse me of relativism all you want, but you're the one talking about changing fundamental principles of justice and rights on the basis of particular situations, and of "reality", and you're the one taking a consequentialist ethical approach-- so in bringing up such probabilities, I'm only speaking your language, bud.

fuck you
     Reply #65 - May 20, 2010, 01:37 AM

Ay yay yay yay yay …

What does that mean? seriously I have no idea.

Ay yay yay.

Again what does it mean?

A) Where a person is born in the world shouldn't but can determine their thinking
    B) Depending on a person's thinking can lead them to be terrorists

OK

C) I think in theory a terrorist should not have the the same Western rights as people who believe in them.

How do you mean? do you mean a convicted terrorist? do you mean a suspect who's got a whole lot of fuckin evidence on him? or just an Arab guy with a long beard?

Now, I think it is more determinable and likely that when a person is from an known country terrorists have been known to come from in the past or has the name Mohammed or is some way linked with Islam, to end up being an Islamic extremist terrorists. There are correlations here. I don't tip toe around this, or bend backwards around this. I'm not saying all Muslims named Mohammed from a nation with a high proportion of Muslims are terrorists, what I'm saying that so long as the majority are of this nature are, they should be disproportionately targeted. Not completely, but disproportionately.  This is the same just as if blonde Swedish men were causing terrorism or middle aged Japanese women were. I personally didn't like it to have been interrogated at US airports for being a Mohammed, but I understand the situation of our reality.

I'm not completely against profiling and I said that recently.
    However, you speak of *taking away rights* which compels to ask, what exactly do you mean by "disproportionally targeted"? do you mean having to take off your shoe at the airport? or do you mean having the state monitor you, randomly arrest you, or ban you from flying just because you have a Muslim name?

As I said and agree to, due to the issue of knowing who believes in the rights and who doesn't and to what degree makes it infeasible in practice. But it is clear, there are people who openly are against certain rights and only abuse them. E.g. Abu Hamza

You didn't answer my question. Who decides who believes in these rights? you do realize there are still people in this country who want to criminalize homosexuality, deport non-Whites, enforce miscegenation laws....etc? do you think such people believe in "The Rights"?

Those that are found guilty of planning terrorist attacks (even by the secret service here, not just a jury in my opinion as stated above), or have committed acts of terrorism, yes. As to the exact set of rights ... would have to think about it, but what ever the subset it would be the same for all terrorists.

Those two words are all I care for TBH. Found guilty.

This is an argument that I have found interesting and thought worth sharing. It is not something I believe should be implemented because it would be pretty impossible to implement and would be worse than the ironic system we already have now.

What's so ironic about it?
     Reply #66 - May 20, 2010, 02:37 PM

Q-Man : Ok.

Sorry to hear you assaulted by street thugs and hospitalized.

IA:

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=ay+ay+ay

I give up on answering the other questions. If I could transmit thoughts directly, or talk this over a coffee, I would do.
     Reply #67 - May 20, 2010, 03:57 PM

Q-Man : Ok.

Sorry to hear you assaulted by street thugs and hospitalized.

Roll Eyes

Nevermind. I give up. I debate with you and the only responses I get are "reality" ad infinitum and neocon sloganeering.

fuck you
     Reply #68 - May 20, 2010, 07:59 PM

I give up on answering the other questions. If I could transmit thoughts directly, or talk this over a coffee, I would do.

OK. I just want to hear you thoughts on this one:

Who decides who believes in these rights? you do realize there are still people in this country who want to criminalize homosexuality, deport non-Whites, enforce miscegenation laws....etc? do you think such people believe in "The Rights"?

And take your time.
     Reply #69 - May 22, 2010, 12:38 AM

Q-Man: Please could you point me to names and sources to show the extent at which citizens in the US/UK/any other nation shows the authorities going after innocent people. I know of about 5 serious cases, 2 of which in the UK.

IA: Okay, because you asked kindly. Btw I notice in another thread I wrote AI instead of IA, sorry, I don't think you are artificial intelligence or anything!

you do realize there are still people in this country who want to criminalize homosexuality, deport non-Whites, enforce miscegenation laws....etc?

Absolutely. Populations are full of normal distributions on height, weight and mental judgements.

do you think such people believe in "The Rights"?

I agree to this point. I really do. Some indeed won't believe in the right to be gay or right to have immigrants in this country.

Who decides who believes in these rights?
    Which is the entire crux of the reason it wouldn't be implementable. As I wrote, "home grown extremists I have trouble with accepting the feasibility of the argument being implemented in practice. " By homegrown, I do indeed refer to such bigots you've described (well, a subset depending on their level of extremism). It is difficult to know how or what people think. The courts usually decide this, or other higher powers for normal criminal activity where evidence can be weighed up. But to do something like on people's opinions/thougts only would be very authoritarian and since there is a normal distribution/bell curve of opinions, who knows where one should draw the line. Where would the threshold be determined is a very tough one.

The abstract argument I wanted to make is precisely this: people who try to blow others up in a terrorist manner, who's minds are so far past the threshold, over the 95th percentile, so deluded, etc ... should such people be given rights compared to other people who:
    - aren't so extreme
    - are not at all extreme
    - who would not be given the same rights if the situation was opposite (e.g. for even being gay, clerics like Abu Hamza would not give a person such rights).

It's because of the normal distribution, unidentifiable thresholds and general likelihood of administration failure the argument presented would not be implementable in practice.

If I still haven't answered the question, we should chat over skype.

----

Just one more article to present that caught my eye. Interesting read. Writes of double standards. But the important part is this:

Majid Nawaz was in prison for being part of a hardcore Islamist plot to try to topple the governments of Egypt and Pakistan and seize its nukes – but when Amnesty International campaigned to protect him from torture, he realised the "Infidel" were rescuing him, because we have strong moral principles of our own.

However when looking up some other evidence we read this:

ES: Did you do propaganda for Hizb ut-Tahrir in Egypt?

MN: I was there to study, but of course I made no secret of my plans to establish a Caliphate. One day, my apartment was stormed; they blindfolded me and dragged me out of the living room while my wife and little one watched, and they took me and several others to be interrogated by the National Security in Alexandria. Their first tactic was taking me to the outside stairwell on the roof where they threatened to throw me down if I didn’t cooperate. Then the interrogation began. We were a large group huddled in a small room, arms tied behind our backs with blindfolds. They systematically tortured us with electrodes – we went through everything. We got numbers, I was 42. When they started with me, the first question was: “Where do you come from?” When I said I was English they went crazy. “No, no where do you actually come from, your father? Aha, Pakistan. So you are Pakistani.”

ES: Did you know what exactly was expected of you? How did you mentally prepare yourself to cope with this extreme situation?

MN: They wanted information from me about Egyptian members of Hizb ut-Tahrir. They tortured one man in front of me. It was unbearable. If I talked, they would catch my friends on the outside; but in the mean time they drove my companion crazy right before my eyes with an electric cable.

ES: How was it possible to keep you there without a lawyer?

MN: After 9/11, the world went berserk, everything was possible. I finally was given a trial and was imprisoned for five years for propagating an organisation that was forbidden in the country.

ES: How did you cope with your time in jail? Did you prepare yourself, make a plan?

MN: That was where my intellectual journey began. After two years of solitary confinement I was transferred to the Mazra Tora prison where I had the opportunity to speak with political prisoners, survivors of the attacks in Sadat and many that turned away from radical Islam. I got books form the Azhar University, but most importantly I spoke with ex-jihadists. I met members of Gama al-Islamiyah, the largest militant group in Egypt, who had decided to distance themselves from terror.

ES: It must be a difficult process to take the journey back, to leave the ideologies and indoctrinations of the Islamist group behind you. What happened in your mind?

MN: Before someone can change his ideas, he has to open his heart. I was filled with hate and anger. But during my trial, something decisive happened: Amnesty International adopted me as a prisoner of conscience, and it was an unbelievable feeling to know that there is someone fighting for you on the outside. Amnesty’s “soft” approach made me seriously consider alternatives to revenge.

So, to my understanding, Nawaz wanted to establish a Caliphate, let's say he's a 90th percentile extremist, not enough to kill people outright but enough to really want to overthrow a government. During prison he changes and eventually does a 180 and these days debates the issue of the threat of political Islam to the West. Just as any other criminals, some can change. But others out there, so deluded and try to delude others, and I draw the line here with them.
     Reply #70 - May 22, 2010, 12:42 AM

By the way, there was one argument that rattled me from the most recent Question Time program: Rashid Rauf who walked out free in Pakistan. In this case, well, guess lock up in the UK is better than the possibility of being released by a foreign (and possibly less competent/resourceful) authority for such cases. Not sure on the likelihood on this though. Hmm.
     Reply #71 - May 22, 2010, 04:57 PM

Q-Man: Please could you point me to names and sources to show the extent at which citizens in the US/UK/any other nation shows the authorities going after innocent people. I know of about 5 serious cases, 2 of which in the UK.

I could. I could even give you personal examples as well, but I'm not going to. There's no point in me digging up the sources and giving them to you because you are an authoritarian who trusts the state and doesn't believe in the rights of the accused. You'd probably make a great spokesperson for the FOP. I doubt this fundamental attitude of yours is going to change as a result of me presenting you facts. So far you have refused to acknowledge any of the facts I have already given you. So debating a person with an authoritarian mindset is pointless-- any examples I give you would just be "mistakes" or "bad apples" in your mind, rather than indicative of a systemic problem.

Bottom line-- you are an authoritarian who does not believe in natural rights, and trusts the state. I'm the opposite. You wanna know where I'm coming from, read some of Thomas Jefferson's writings. No point in continuing the discussion.

fuck you
     Reply #72 - May 22, 2010, 08:57 PM

HO, thanks for talking the time to answer.

I don't agree with any of that (to be fair I was baffled by some of it). I don't think we should continue with this debate. I have an overall idea of your ideology and way of thinking.
    You believe in mathematically measuring the level of extremism and group people into percentiles and then award rights and freedoms accordingly. I find this idea laughable, authoritarian, and illiberal.

Let's just say that I hope that people like you don't ever rule over me or have any sort of power or authority over me. Don't take this as an insult. I understand if you feel the same way.

Be well.
     Reply #73 - May 23, 2010, 01:56 PM

@Q-Man: Will read Thomas Jefferson's writings. "you are an authoritarian who trusts the state" - I don't really see myself that way. I'm more than happy to challenge the government if I feel there is something wrong. I'm all for whistle-blowers, wiki-leaks, corruption indexes and the media reporting when MP's use tax payers money to claim duck-houses on expenses.

@Iraqi Atheist: No offense taken at all. In fact, it's important to know my thinking (as of now) is taken as such, and I appreciate the honesty.
     Reply #74 - May 23, 2010, 05:48 PM

@Q-Man: Will read Thomas Jefferson's writings.

Cool. If you're gonna read him, might as well read John Locke and read about Freeborn John, who provided the philosophical basis of Jefferson's thinking. Nozick is a more recent writer on similar topics (see "Anarchy, State, and Utopia"), and if you're gonna read Nozick, might as well read Rawls and "A Theory of Justice", too, who Nozick was replying to in his book.

"you are an authoritarian who trusts the state" - I don't really see myself that way.

I'm not being a smart-ass here, as much is it may seem, but-- authoritarians who trust the state almost never see themselves that way.

I'm more than happy to challenge the government if I feel there is something wrong. I'm all for whistle-blowers, wiki-leaks, corruption indexes and the media reporting when MP's use tax payers money to claim duck-houses on expenses.

Yeah, plenty of other statists/authoritarians support these things too. Very few statists/authoritarians support completely unchecked or unaccountable government power-- being an authoritarian and statist doesn't automatically make one a fascist-- but they do support government power beyond that which is just. In other words, the authoritarian is more likely to be willing to dispose of rights in the interest of safety or even convenience, and when given a choice between liberty and security, they most often err on the side of security. For the authoritarian, rights are subjective, for the libertarian they are objective.

fuck you
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »