Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 'Al-Qaeda ringleader' wins appeal against deportation

(Read 19261 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: 'Al-Qaeda ringleader' wins appeal against deportation
     Reply #30 - May 18, 2010, 09:38 PM

In Denmark we have similar cases (in fact we have 20+ persons who cannot be deported). One of them, who conspired to kill Kurt westergaard, was not charged, as the Intelligence Service did not want to present its evidence in court for fear of revealing their sources, thus endangering them. Looks as if the same could be the case here.

It also looks as if the 2 persons in question are in the UK on students visas and I think that a State has a perfect right to say to a person, you are note welcome here anymore please leave.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #31 - May 18, 2010, 09:39 PM

OK. Considering that the presiding judge considers the man to be a terrorist operative, and there are technical reasons why a conviction couldn't be made, do you see a potential irony in this situation? Because I do.

The irony here is not being caused by anything other than the fact that he has not been found to be guilty by a jury.

No irony in the case, you could even argue why he is still being held captive.  Guantanamo anyone  whistling2

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #32 - May 18, 2010, 09:46 PM

Wait. You see no potential irony here, if the appeal court is correct in saying he is a terrorist operative, and it is for reasons of national security that he will be subject to a control order in the UK, rather than deported to his homeland, where he may face torture?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #33 - May 18, 2010, 09:52 PM

If he was proven to be guilty by a jury, and he was allowed to roam free in public, then I would see your point and the irony.

But as it stands, I see no irony because as far as I am concerned he is only a suspect in the eyes of the authorities. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #34 - May 18, 2010, 09:59 PM

Well, he's a suspect that will be subject to a control order and who has been described by an appeal court judge (the same judge who granted him a stay of deportation in his favour under the Human Rights Act) as an 'al qaeda operative', being saved from potential harm by the institutions of the land he is strongly suspected as an al-qaeda operative to have been plotting to perpetrate acts of murder upon. Allegedly. That's where the (potential) irony resides.

These are unchartered territories of law that terrorist conspiracies have thrown up over the last few years.

God is Love.

Reply #35 - May 18, 2010, 10:01 PM

If he was proven to be guilty by a jury, and he was allowed to roam free in public

That's the thing though. He won't be allowed to roam free. He is subject to a control order. A similar kind of thing that Abu Qatada is (was?) subject to. House arrest, effectively.

God is Love.

Reply #36 - May 18, 2010, 10:04 PM

In Denmark we have similar cases (in fact we have 20+ persons who cannot be deported).

It's the impracticality and time consuming nature of these deportation laws (been allies) that allows Abu Hamza preeching jihadist hatred and 10 years for the prime 1995 Paris Metro bombing suspect to be sent over.

One of them, who conspired to kill Kurt westergaard, was not charged, as the Intelligence Service did not want to present its evidence in court for fear of revealing their sources, thus endangering them. Looks as if the same could be the case here.

It appears some Brits seem to distrust our finest secret service professionals who are trying to protect them each time they ride the London under ground or Manchester metro.
     Reply #37 - May 18, 2010, 10:13 PM

Well, the secret service professionals do get it wrong sometimes.

This is more complex than that. This legal area is a minefield (excuse the image), riddled with mysterious quicksand and dead ends.

God is Love.

Reply #38 - May 18, 2010, 10:24 PM

Indeed, and I'm all for wistleblowers and wikileaks if they've got it drastically wrong.
     Reply #39 - May 18, 2010, 10:24 PM

Here is a precis of the Control Order, which this individual is subject to, under the Prevention of Terrorist Act 2005.

The operable point here is that the Secretary of State can impose them if he has 'reasonable grounds' for suspecting he is a threat to the lives of people in Britain because of his involvement in terrorism-related activity.

They are subject to judicial review.

++++++++

The Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005 (new window) enables the Secretary of State to make a "non-derogating" control order against an individual who he has reasonable grounds for suspecting is involved in terrorism-related activity and where he considers it necessary for the protection of the public. These measures can be applied to any individual, irrespective of nationality, and whatever the nature of the terrorist activity. A control order is a last resort measure, to address the threat from an individual where prosecution is not possible and, in the case of a foreign national, where it is not possible to deport him or her due to our international human rights obligations (in particular, where there is a real risk of torture).

76. Control orders are preventative. They place one or more obligations upon an individual in order to prevent, restrict or disrupt involvement in terrorism-related activity. A range of obligations can be imposed to address the risk posed by the individual concerned, including a curfew, restrictions on the use of communication equipment, restrictions on the people that the individual can associate with, and travel restrictions. The legislation requires that control orders made by the Secretary of State must be compatible with the individual's right to liberty under Article 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights (new window) (ECHR). Although there is a procedure in the legislation for Parliament to agree to derogate from Article 5 of the ECHR, so the Secretary of State can apply to a court to make a "derogating" control order, this has currently not been exercised.

77. The 2005 Act contains strong safeguards to protect the rights of the individual, including requirements for judicial oversight and review of control orders. The legislation and its operation have recently been challenged in the courts. The High Court ruled on 12 April 2006 that the legislation is incompatible with Article 6 of the ECHR (right to a fair hearing), and ruled again on 28 June 2006 that the obligations imposed in six specific cases amounted to a deprivation of liberty under Article 5 of the ECHR. The Government is appealing both judgements in the Court of Appeal. All existing control orders remain in force (including the six cases in the second High Court ruling which remain in force pending the outcome of the appeal), and the Secretary of State will continue to make new control orders where he considers it necessary to do so.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/output/control-orders.html

God is Love.

Reply #40 - May 18, 2010, 10:28 PM

This is what Lord Carlisle, the head of the watchdog body that scrutinises Control Orders, (and a man with an unimpeachable record of impartiality and regard for human rights) said in February regarding this legislation.

++++++

Lord Carlile finds 'no alternative' to control orders for terrorism suspects

Government's official counter-terrorism watchdog says abandoning system could damage UK security

Abandoning the controversial system of control orders for terrorism suspects could damage UK security, Lord Carlile, the government's official counter-terrorism watchdog, concluded today.

There is "no better means of dealing with the serious and continuing risk posed by some individuals" than control orders, which place people under virtual house arrest on the basis of secret evidence, he said, while advising that less important suspects should receive only travel bans.

The home secretary, Alan Johnson, asked the QC and Liberal Democrat peer to look into the legislation after a series of successful legal challenges which brought predictions that the control order system might prove unworkable.

Parliament is to consider both Carlile's review and a draft order renewing the control order powers under the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005.

Carlile concluded: "As the independent reviewer of terror legislation, it is my view and advice that abandoning the control orders system entirely would have a damaging effect on national security."

However, he said that they should only be used in "a small number of cases where robust information is available to the effect that the suspect individual presents a considerable risk to national security, and conventional prosecution is not realistic".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/feb/01/carlile-control-orders-terrorism-suspects

God is Love.

Reply #41 - May 18, 2010, 10:36 PM

There is an argument that since Islamists neither believe in Western rights and yet abuse them, they should not be given the same rights as people of the West who have earned (and fought for) them.

I love how you said *there is an argument that...* instead of *I believe that...*. IWO, well it's not my idea but I do believe in it. Nevertheless, your comment is both hilarious and deplorable at the same time.

I also love your use of the word "Islamists" !! as if there is a definitive proof that anyone can be an Islamist.

Well then how about this, neo-Nazis should not be given the same rights? what do you think?

Reply #42 - May 18, 2010, 10:41 PM

OK. Considering that the presiding judge considers the man to be a terrorist operative, and there are technical reasons why a conviction couldn't be made, do you see a potential irony in this situation? Because I do.

If he's guilty I see the irony-- but it is wholly irrelevant to the interests of justice.

Of course - but that doesn't mean there isn't substance to it either.

I never said otherwise.

The fact is that this man is considered to be a threat to national security, not just by the judges, and the independent reviewer of evidence, and the Home Secretary.

These are neither juries or criminal courts. He has not been convicted. He is innocent until that happens. End of story. You may be cool with the respective governments of the US and UK watering down due process provisions for the rights of the accused over the years, through bad case law and even worse statutes, but I'm not.

Now you can suggest this is a conspiracy and a grave injustice is being done to the man and so on and so on.

No conspiracy necessary-- if all these institutions are relying on the evidence gathered by the same investigators, then they can hardly be expected to come to independent conclusions, especially if they are used to relying on the intelligence services to gather the evidence and piece it together. Existing institutional relationships, institutional conservatism, and laziness, on their own, or together, are enough for all three to come to the same conclusion, even if that conclusion is wrong-- active conspiring between the actors is not necessary.

And if the evidence is so fucking convincing then why don't they put it before a jury? The answer is either it's not so damn convincing or the evidence was obtained illegally.

This is what Lord Carlisle, the head of the watchdog body that scrutinises Control Orders, (and a man with an unimpeachable record of impartiality and regard for human rights) said in February regarding this legislation.

++++++

Lord Carlile finds 'no alternative' to control orders for terrorism suspects

Government's official counter-terrorism watchdog says abandoning system could damage UK security

Abandoning the controversial system of control orders for terrorism suspects could damage UK security, Lord Carlile, the government's official counter-terrorism watchdog, concluded today.

There is "no better means of dealing with the serious and continuing risk posed by some individuals" than control orders, which place people under virtual house arrest on the basis of secret evidence, he said, while advising that less important suspects should receive only travel bans.

The home secretary, Alan Johnson, asked the QC and Liberal Democrat peer to look into the legislation after a series of successful legal challenges which brought predictions that the control order system might prove unworkable.

Parliament is to consider both Carlile's review and a draft order renewing the control order powers under the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005.

Carlile concluded: "As the independent reviewer of terror legislation, it is my view and advice that abandoning the control orders system entirely would have a damaging effect on national security."

However, he said that they should only be used in "a small number of cases where robust information is available to the effect that the suspect individual presents a considerable risk to national security, and conventional prosecution is not realistic".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/feb/01/carlile-control-orders-terrorism-suspects

Wasn't a similar provision for detention without trial/charge used to coerce confessions from the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four and Maguire Seven back in the 1970s?

You act as if authoritarian legislation and law enforcement methods to counter terrorism in the UK is a new thing-- it most certainly is not.

fuck you
     Reply #43 - May 18, 2010, 10:45 PM

That was the 1970's, before even the Police and Criminal Evidence Act was in existence. These men are not being tortured, and their Control Orders under the Prevention of Terrorism Act are subject to constant judicial review and legal transparency. This chap is considered a security risk after all the checks and balances to the power of the Secretary of State have concurred with the Control Order - imposed because this foreign national can't be deported to his country because there is a risk he might be tortured.

God is Love.

Reply #44 - May 18, 2010, 10:46 PM

I love how you said *there is an argument that...* instead of *I believe that...*. IWO, well it's not my idea but I do believe in it. Nevertheless, your comment is both hilarious and deplorable at the same time.

I also love your use of the word "Islamists" !! as if there is a definitive proof that anyone can be an Islamist.

Well then how about this, neo-Nazis should not be given the same rights? what do you think?

easy on the young lad, IA.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #45 - May 18, 2010, 10:47 PM

@ billy

imposed because this foreign national can't be deported to his country because there is a risk he might be tortured.

i didn't read the OP, so I hope you don't mind me asking: did the guy actually ask not to be deported?

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #46 - May 18, 2010, 10:51 PM

i didn't read the OP, so I hope you don't mind me asking: did the guy actually ask not to be deported?

Well, yeah. Read it up, its actually very interesting.

God is Love.

Reply #47 - May 18, 2010, 10:52 PM

easy on the young lad, IA.

I generally like HO. He's into reading and discussions and isn't here to win debates but to learn. I wish more people were like him.
    However this particular comment of his is just silly. Sorry but I have to speak my mind.

Quote from: HO
    There is an argument that since Islamists neither believe in Western rights and yet abuse them, they should not be given the same rights as people of the West who have earned (and fought for) them.

IOW, immigrants.

My 20-year old English neighbor didn't fight for them either.
     Reply #48 - May 18, 2010, 10:54 PM

These men are not being tortured,

I'm sure that's what people said about the Guildford Four, Birmingham Six, and Maguire Seven in the 1970s, before the truth started coming out.

and their Control Orders under the Prevention of Terrorism Act are subject to constant judicial review and legal transparency.

Seeing as how the courts in both our countries have increasingly been giving more power to the executive and legislative branches of government over the years, judicial review doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me.

This chap is considered a security risk after all the checks and balances to the power of the Secretary of State have concurred with the Control Order - imposed because this foreign national can't be deported to his country because there is a risk he might be tortured.

As to the "checks and balances" see my edited post above.

fuck you
     Reply #49 - May 18, 2010, 10:54 PM

IOW, immigrants.

HO can speak for himself, but I don't think that's what he meant at all.

I don't agree with him by the way. I just think he's over reacting in a quasi-authoritarian way and mirroring the absolutism of that which he despises - Islamist totalitarianism.

God is Love.

Reply #50 - May 18, 2010, 11:00 PM

HO can speak for himself, but I don't think that's what he meant at all.

I know he didn't mean it that way. He's of foreign lineage himself. What I was saying is that once you start dichotomizing people into those who fought for them (and their descendants) and those who didn't (and their descendants) .... well we all know where that would lead to.

Reply #51 - May 18, 2010, 11:05 PM

I'm sure that's what people said about the Guildford Four, Birmingham Six, and Maguire Seven in the 1970s, before the truth started coming out.

As I said, that was before the Police and Criminal Evidence Act. They are not being tortured. All interviews are recorded, and a witness is present at all times. They receive full transparency and access to people to verify this is not the case. This is as a result of the miscarriages of justice from the past.

Seeing as how the courts in both our countries have increasingly been giving more power to the executive and legislative branches of government over the years, judicial review doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me.

As to the "checks and balances" see my edited post above.

So basically because the effectiveness of the checks and balances to the Secretary of States power could conceivably be out of skew, you leave no possibility that they could be doing their job effectively too? Let me tell you, the courts and the legislative watchdogs have not hesitated to poke the Secretary of State in the eye in the past. Calling their impartiality into question is kind of like the nuclear bomb argument.

Also, the judiciary has demonstrated its independance today by refusing to deport him to Pakistan, citing the Human Rights Act, denying the petition to deport him. If that was a judicial system in hoc to the authoritarianism of government that wouldn't be the case. Its just that they also agree that he should be subject to this Court Order because he is, in the words of the judge who denied the Secretary of States deportation request, 'an al Qaeda operative'.

God is Love.

Reply #52 - May 18, 2010, 11:06 PM

I know he didn't mean it that way. He's of foreign lineage himself. What I was saying is that once you start dichotomizing people into those who fought for them (and their descendants) and those who didn't (and their descendants) .... well we all know where that would lead to.

Yeah, I agree it was at best a clumsy statement.

God is Love.

Reply #53 - May 18, 2010, 11:13 PM

I love how you said *there is an argument that...* instead of *I believe that...*

I think *any* terrorist should have such rights taken away. But it's exactly for home grown extremists I have trouble with accepting the feasibility of the argument being implemented in practice.

I should have wrote those who believe and/or have fought for and/or earned the rights.

I do think there is a natural right, and I have no hesitancy to say what we know in the West to be true and right is right over the Islamic memeplex's rights and wrongs.
     Reply #54 - May 18, 2010, 11:18 PM

This is the ruling of the judge who refused the petition to deport Naseer because his human rights are paramount and there was a serious risk they would be breached if he was sent back to his country.

++++++++

Mr Justice Mitting, in a written ruling, said: “For the reasons stated, we are satisfied that Naseer was an al-Qaeda operative who posed and still poses a serious threat to the national security of the UK and that... it is conducive to the public good that he should be deported.”

He added that the Special Immigration Appeals Commission in London was allowing the appeal because “the issue of safety on return” made it impossible to deport Mr Naseer to Pakistan. ......

......Teresa May, the Home Secretary, said: “Protecting the public is the Government’s top priority.

“We are disappointed that the court has ruled that Abid Naseer and Ahmad Faraz Khan should not be deported to Pakistan, which we were seeking on national security grounds.

“As the court agreed, they are a security risk to the UK. We are now taking all possible measures to ensure they do not engage in terrorist activity.”

It is likely that both men will be put on control orders under which their movements, access to telephones and bank accounts can be restricted.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article7129649.ece

God is Love.

Reply #55 - May 18, 2010, 11:27 PM

So basically because the effectiveness of the checks and balances to the Secretary of States power could conceivably be out of skew, you leave no possibility that they could be doing their job effectively too?

How the hell did you get that out of what I wrote? I just bring this stuff up to say that just because two branches of the executive and the judiciary found compelling evidence that he's a terrorist, does not mean that I take their conclusions/claims for granted. Again, if the evidence was so damn compelling, why not show it to a jury?

Let me tell you, the courts and the legislative watchdogs have not hesitated to poke the Secretary of State in the eye in the past.

Same here. That institutional interests can sometimes be opposed to each other and/or act independently of each other, and/or have different opinions, does not necessarily mean that they do not act in concert and/or have aligned interests which create a common bias most of the time.

Calling their impartiality into question is kind of like the nuclear bomb argument.

Huh?

Also, the judiciary has demonstrated its independance today by refusing to deport him to Pakistan, citing the Human Rights Act, denying the petition to deport him. If that was a judicial system in hoc to the authoritarianism of government that wouldn't be the case. Its just that they also agree that he should be subject to this Court Order because he is, in the words of the judge who denied the Secretary of States deportation request, 'an al Qaeda operative'.

That the judiciary has some amount of independence from the other branches of government in no way contradicts what I said. I never said the courts had no independence, nor that they did not ever arrive at opinions that contradict that of the executive or legislative branches of government. Of course they do. I'm just saying that they defer to those branches much more often than I am comfortable with, specifically with regards to allowing expansion of state power through case law favorable to authoritarian legislation or executive action.

I think *any* terrorist should have such rights taken away.

That's not the question at hand-- the question at hand is whether to take away the rights of accused terrorists, not proven/convicted terrorists. Somehow people like you (neocons and other authoritarians/reactionaries) always seem to have difficulty understanding that distinction.

There is no question that someone convicted of a serious crime, one which violates the rights of others, can justly have their rights suspended or even abrogated. There's rarely a subject of debate on these topics. The subject of debate almost always centers around the rights of the accused, even though you right-wingers are always trying to blur the line between accused terrorist/criminal and convicted terrorist/criminal.

I do think there is a natural right

Obviously you don't or don't understand what a natural right is, otherwise you would not be arguing that someone's rights should be stripped from them by the state on the basis of that person's subjective beliefs.

fuck you
     Reply #56 - May 18, 2010, 11:35 PM

Huh?

Suggesting that the checks and balances and judicial review are intrinsically suspect blows any other possibility out of the water. They could be suspect. If they are, there is no response to that - the edifice is rotten.

How the hell did you get that out of what I wrote? I just bring this stuff up to say that just because two branches of the executive and the judiciary found compelling evidence that he's a terrorist, does not mean that I take their conclusions/claims for granted.

Neither do I, to be honest. I was just giving the opposing view.

Like I said, this is a very complex and loaded area. Its something that is going to have to resolve itself, the pressure is on.

God is Love.

Reply #57 - May 19, 2010, 12:03 AM

I think *any* terrorist should have such rights taken away.

1-You should've said terrorists not Islamists then. Terrorism is a crime than can be proven by evidence. If a non-citizen terrorist is convicted then I can understand why would want him/her deported. Islamism on the other is an ideology that cannot be measured or proved. I don't think we should discriminate against anyone on the basis of their ideology (as long as they don't incite violence). That's what McCarthyists did.

2-I'll repeat my question. Should neo-Nazis have their rights taken away?

But it's exactly for home grown extremists I have trouble with accepting the feasibility of the argument being implemented in practice.

The place where someone was born shouldn't be a factor in determining whether they should have rights or not. That's ludicrous.
    Now you wanna deport foreign-born convicted terrorists? fine by me.
    You wanna torture foreign-born terrorists? no.

I should have wrote those who believe and/or have fought for and/or earned the rights.

Who decides who believes in these rights? you do realize there are still people in this country who want to criminalize homosexuality, deport non-Whites, enforce miscegenation laws....etc? do you think such people believe in "The RightsTM"?

I do think there is a natural right,

That's contradictory to your earlier statements.

and I have no hesitancy to say what we know in the West to be true and right is right over the Islamic memeplex's rights and wrongs.

Irrelevant to the discussion.
     Reply #58 - May 19, 2010, 11:58 AM

Ay yay yay yay yay …

First off, I stand corrected on the term of a natural right. By natural right, I meant rights based on reason alone. I read it erroneously somewhere. Ah, right here under Immanuel Kant !

Secondly, I feel like abstract arguments are being erroneously implemented with bias justification to prove the former wrong by contradiction. But no problem, these are interesting points to discuss.

That's not the question at hand-- the question at hand is whether to take away the rights of accused terrorists, not proven/convicted terrorists.

Indeed in an ideal world they should be put up in a jury and I whole heartedly agree to this. But in practice this can pose a risk to the secret service revealing their sources, and other reasons, that protect our own people. Then the mine field of legal issues which I still find mind boggling.

Who decides who believes in these rights?

The place where someone was born shouldn't be a factor in determining whether they should have rights or not. That's ludicrous.

Ay yay yay.

A) Where a person is born in the world shouldn't but can determine their thinking
    B) Depending on a person's thinking can lead them to be terrorists
    C) I think in theory a terrorist should not have the the same Western rights as people who believe in them.

Now, I think it is more determinable and likely that when a person is from an known country terrorists have been known to come from in the past or has the name Mohammed or is some way linked with Islam, to end up being an Islamic extremist terrorists. There are correlations here. I don't tip toe around this, or bend backwards around this. I'm not saying all Muslims named Mohammed from a nation with a high proportion of Muslims are terrorists, what I'm saying that so long as the majority are of this nature are, they should be disproportionately targeted. Not completely, but disproportionately.  This is the same just as if blonde Swedish men were causing terrorism or middle aged Japanese women were. I personally didn't like it to have been interrogated at US airports for being a Mohammed, but I understand the situation of our reality.

As for home grown terrorists, they are harder to find and harder to determine what it is they are thinking until the evidence can appear because the correlating links are more difficult to analyse. Hence why I said it was difficult to implement this argument with respect to home-grown terrorists. Hope this makes sense. A->B->C not A->C

As I said and agree to, due to the issue of knowing who believes in the rights and who doesn't and to what degree makes it infeasible in practice. But it is clear, there are people who openly are against certain rights and only abuse them. E.g. Abu Hamza

Should neo-Nazis have their rights taken away?

Those that are found guilty of planning terrorist attacks (even by the secret service here, not just a jury in my opinion as stated above), or have committed acts of terrorism, yes. As to the exact set of rights ... would have to think about it, but what ever the subset it would be the same for all terrorists.

This is an argument that I have found interesting and thought worth sharing. It is not something I believe should be implemented because it would be pretty impossible to implement and would be worse than the ironic system we already have now.
     Reply #59 - May 19, 2010, 08:06 PM

Indeed in an ideal world they should be put up in a jury and I whole heartedly agree to this. But in practice this can pose a risk to the secret service revealing their sources, and other reasons, that protect our own people. Then the mine field of legal issues which I still find mind boggling.

Neither the concept of the accused having rights and due process, nor our jurisprudential system is based on an "ideal world". Now either you respect these rights and procedures or you don't. You can't keep making exceptions on basic legal rights and process based on particular circumstances without compromising the integrity of the justice system's foundations (which I do believe have been severely compromised because too many people in power think like you).

fuck you
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »