Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greetings and salutations.

(Read 5989 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greetings and salutations.
     OP - May 06, 2010, 04:17 PM

I am not an ex-muslim. I'm also not a muslim. The reason I am here is I was invited to come here by a certain someone. I come from Finland and hence was brought up a Lutheran. At the ripe age of fifteen (around confirmation) when you begin to realize that you know everything and no one understands things better than you, I came to realize that believing in one god above others was silly. If I had been brought up in another culture, I would believe in Ganesh, Siddartha, Allah or whatever. From there on my lack of faith grew and when I grew up and realized my childhood follies of supposed omniscience were exactly that, I came to think about things more and rationalize my belief - or lack there of - in god(s). Nowadays, I realize that there can be no god, or at least not one that matters to us since if a god or a superior being exists, he doesn't communicate with us. Science is the thing I believe in.

Well, that's the important stuff there I guess. Feel free to ask, question, criticize or just plain invite discussion.
  • Re: Greetings and salutations.
     Reply #1 - May 06, 2010, 04:20 PM

Welcome  far away hug

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #2 - May 06, 2010, 04:24 PM

I am not an ex-muslim. I'm also not a muslim.

Welome, although I must warn you that we have certain members here who are satan reincarnates.  You might not know Naery's yet but she is one of them Wink

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - May 06, 2010, 04:25 PM

Welcome Vulpecula Afro

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #4 - May 06, 2010, 04:35 PM

Hey man Smiley Welcome!
     Reply #5 - May 06, 2010, 04:36 PM

Welcome!  parrot

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #6 - May 06, 2010, 05:06 PM

Welcome to the Forum
     Reply #7 - May 06, 2010, 05:22 PM

Welcome Vulpecula  Afro
     Reply #8 - May 06, 2010, 05:24 PM

Greetings

Nice to see you here!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #9 - May 06, 2010, 06:19 PM

Welcome dude and here is a far away hug for you.   far away hug

Feel free to ask any questions about Islam or whatever.
    Just a few questions for you if you don't mind: are there many Muslims in the part of Finland where you live?  Are there any Mosques? Are they well integrated into mainstream society?

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #10 - May 06, 2010, 08:16 PM

Welcome Vulpecula  Smiley
     Reply #11 - May 06, 2010, 09:01 PM

Welcome!

It is not the way you live your life that is important, it is how well you enjoy it that matters.
     Reply #12 - May 06, 2010, 09:13 PM

Welcome to the forum, Vulpecula! Smiley Hope you enjoy being here!

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #13 - May 06, 2010, 09:24 PM

signwelcome to the forum!
    Let us know how Finland is.
    Are there a lot of Hott guys there?

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #14 - May 07, 2010, 02:05 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums. You are very right about the place where one is born and raised will be the decider of what God one will worship. Afro

..... By the way, here is your complimentary Parrot. It is a custom here to present new comers with one...  parrot

Reply #15 - May 07, 2010, 03:22 AM

Thank you for all the welcomes as well as the parrot.

are there many Muslims in the part of Finland where you live?  Are there any Mosques? Are they well integrated into mainstream society?

I live in Espoo which is part of the Helsinki metropolitan area so it is the area with most muslims in this country. Mostly they are immigrants, refugees specifically, from Somalia, Serbia (Albanians), Turkey and Iraq (kurds). There are quite a few mosques, I think over ten in the area (three cities and a town, about a million inhabitants), but you wouldn't recognize them as mosques from the outside. They are old residences, cinemas or whatever that have been transformed to mosques. So I suppose they aren't actually mosques but just prayer halls. There's only one actual mosque with a minaret in Finland in Järvenpää which is near here, but not part of the metropolitan area. Some of them are, some of them aren't. It's not the religion I think, but more the culture that makes some of them reluctant to integrate. The men usually look and dress very western, but a lot of the women, especially Somalis, wear the hijab and long skirts and generally stick out more. I've seen burkhas once or twice in my life, but that was years ago and I do live in a cheap neighborhood with the highest percentage of immigrants in Espoo. Other muslims are very well integrated, but they've been here longer like the first muslims here, Tatars. First ones came in the 19th century and they still run an exclusive islamic congregation. They're the ones who built and own the mosque in Järvenpää. They do not allow anyone of non-Tatar ethnicity to join them though. So as integrated as they are, they are still separate.

Welome, although I must warn you that we have certain members here who are satan reincarnates.  You might not know Naery's yet but she is one of them Wink

Ah yeah, I have been warned about her before. I'll keep a close eye on her.

Let us know how Finland is.

Well, Finland is cold and dreary right now. Just suffered through our coldest, snowiest winter in decades. As for hot guys, well, if you like the tall, blond and blue-eyed, I suppose. I don't really look at them that much in that way.
     Reply #16 - May 07, 2010, 05:29 AM

What does the "Fin" part in the name of your country "Finland" mean? I know what "Iceland" mean! LOL

Reply #17 - May 07, 2010, 06:54 AM

Welcome.   Smiley  Naerys is a secret badass, but apart from her we're all safe.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #18 - May 07, 2010, 06:59 AM

Welcome Vulpecula.  Smiley

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #19 - May 07, 2010, 07:14 AM

Hello and welcome.  Smiley

What does the "Fin" part in the name of your country "Finland" mean? I know what "Iceland" mean! LOL

Finnish people don't call Finland, Finland. They call it Suomi. Smiley
     Reply #20 - May 07, 2010, 08:07 AM

I'll answer that. Yes there are. Everywhere, wherever you look.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #21 - May 07, 2010, 09:21 AM

I've been told that it comes from an old Norse verb 'finnas' or something like that, in contemporary Swedish finnas, finns, fanns, funnits. Which roughly means lie (in a direction), located (somewhere), find. It's rather difficult to translate especially since I'm not a native speaker of the language and it's been years since I studied it, but suffice to say: Du finns Finnland där translates to You will find Finland there. So it's sort of like a land that's located there (right next to them).
     Reply #22 - May 07, 2010, 09:57 AM

Welcome. I am from Finland too.
     Reply #23 - May 07, 2010, 11:11 AM

I know!  North western Europe has hott women.  001_wub  Kiss  The trouble is, the weather is too cold, and the days in the winter are too short and dull.  And I only speak English.   sad

Anyway, I know the Finnish education system is excellent, but I don't exactly why?  Can you or jt263 enlighten me please?

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #24 - May 07, 2010, 12:14 PM

Welcome Vulpecula!  parrot

At the ripe age of fifteen (around confirmation) when you begin to realize that you know everything and no one understands things better than you

Of course we know everything, we are Gods of the Universe! And we're not as stupid as we before. We are super beings in which no human can fully understand...

Nope, never went through that stage of life...
     Reply #25 - May 07, 2010, 01:00 PM

welcome

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #26 - May 07, 2010, 09:17 PM

Welcome Vulpecula! Smiley

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #27 - May 07, 2010, 09:46 PM

I live in Espoo which is part of the Helsinki metropolitan area so it is the area with most muslims in this country. Mostly they are immigrants, refugees specifically, from Somalia, Serbia (Albanians), Turkey and Iraq (kurds). There are quite a few mosques, I think over ten in the area (three cities and a town, about a million inhabitants), but you wouldn't recognize them as mosques from the outside. They are old residences, cinemas or whatever that have been transformed to mosques. So I suppose they aren't actually mosques but just prayer halls. There's only one actual mosque with a minaret in Finland in Järvenpää which is near here, but not part of the metropolitan area. Some of them are, some of them aren't. It's not the religion I think, but more the culture that makes some of them reluctant to integrate. The men usually look and dress very western, but a lot of the women, especially Somalis, wear the hijab and long skirts and generally stick out more. I've seen burkhas once or twice in my life, but that was years ago and I do live in a cheap neighborhood with the highest percentage of immigrants in Espoo. Other muslims are very well integrated, but they've been here longer like the first muslims here, Tatars. First ones came in the 19th century and they still run an exclusive islamic congregation. They're the ones who built and own the mosque in Järvenpää. They do not allow anyone of non-Tatar ethnicity to join them though. So as integrated as they are, they are still separate.

Thanks for the info Vulpecula. Very interesting.   Afro

It doesn't surprise me too much (except for the Tatars).  Many European countries have many refugees (or just economic migrants) from Muslim countries.  I would not expect the first generation to integrate into mainstream society instantly.  I can understand that being too much of a shock for them.  You're right about culture having a lot to do with it.  However, I think the children of these immigrants should be allowed to integrate, and the parents should not use religion (or culture) as an excuse to control their children.  That's just my opinion.  Adults too should make an active effort to integrate.  There are certain sacred values that are not negotiable like freedom of speech, secularism, liberalism, etc, and when a society gets divided along religious/cultural lines, it is a recipe for future conflict.  Most of us on this forum live in the West and despite that, we have had problems leaving our religion because of the social unacceptability of apostasy that still exists among religious Muslims.  Unfortunately many religious Muslims do not subscribe to the liberal values that natives in the West take for granted, because they believe in God and all that Prophet Muhammad taught.  You might like to read my story in the intro section.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #28 - May 14, 2010, 01:20 AM

victory
    HI HI
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »