Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"

(Read 272767 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 55 56 5758 59 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"
     Reply #1680 - December 17, 2014, 03:45 PM

I don't think it's necessary to include so many quotes from the book's introduction. It's probably best to leave that for when the reader actually opens the book. 

One or maximum two lines from the book should suffice.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #1681 - December 17, 2014, 04:08 PM

OK how's this - I don't want too remove too much because imho it's all pure gold  grin12 (plus that won't take long to read - 2 or 3 mins max!!)

-----------------------------

snip

see edited version further on.
     Reply #1682 - December 17, 2014, 08:05 PM

However, he began to have misgivings and inner-turmoil later in his life. This led to endless questions and ultimately to the position that led him to the conclusion that revelation is the product of the human mind rather than the mind of God.

The bolded part sounds funny when you say it out loud. You could also remove the first sentence to make it short and sweet.

I suggest replacing it with this.

"He began to have doubts about his faith which led to endless questions and ultimately to the conclusion that revelation is the product of the human mind rather than the mind of god. "

Reply #1683 - December 17, 2014, 08:11 PM

Is this what you mean? It doesn't sound quite right to me. It's the repetition of 'began'

However, he began to have misgivings and inner-turmoil later in his life. He began to have doubts about his faith which led to endless questions and ultimately to the conclusion that revelation is the product of the human mind rather than the mind of god. As a consequence revelation must be subject to human reason and not the other way around.
     Reply #1684 - December 17, 2014, 08:17 PM

I think this sentence could be removed.

However, he began to have misgivings and inner-turmoil later in his life. He began to have doubts about his faith which led to endless questions and ultimately to the conclusion that revelation is the product of the human mind rather than the mind of god. As a consequence revelation must be subject to human reason and not the other way around.

Reply #1685 - December 17, 2014, 08:20 PM

OK, How's this:

"My Ordeal with the Qur'an and God in the Qur'an" is an English translation of a book originally written in Arabic by Dr Abbas Abdul Nour, born in Damanhur, Egypt in 1927. A graduate of Al Azhar and a doctor of philosophy. He was a preacher, imam and head of a Sufi lodge in Egypt.

He began to have doubts about his faith which led to endless questions and ultimately to the conclusion that revelation is the product of the human mind rather than the mind of god. As a consequence revelation must be subject to human reason and not the other way around.

There are very few books by Muslims that analyse the Qur'an in a truly critical way - and even fewer in Arabic by Arabs. This book is important because it breaks that ground and removes that barrier.

(Quotes from the author's introduction.)

This book is an emphatic and unambiguous call for a re-reading of the Qur'an… It is a call to break the shackles & chains that have distorted our thinking… that have become a source of backwardness and ruin.

It is a fresh look at the Qur'anic text along with criticism and analysis of its verses in an attempt to lift the veils that obscure our vision, nay, that have blinded us. That have paralysed our ability to think freely.

The Qur'anic text has become our holy cow. There is no difference between those who worship statues and those who worship the text. We approach it on our knees, prostrating before it, trembling and terrified. We fear the lions roar that wards off all those who dare peek behind.

I want us to storm this lion's lair that guards the text of the Qur'an… We must apply the methodology of reason. We must re-consider the distinction we have created between the sacred and the profane. The Qur'an must be placed back into the fallible human realm where it belongs.

Achieving such a transformation will be difficult. But every journey begins with one step and the benefits will be enormous. For we will finally end the tragedy of our situation. Heal the schisms that have torn us apart. Reconcile the differences between us and our fellow man regardless of faith or the lack of it.  Start building a new and better identity and society in our countries. One that will allow us to once again contribute positively to the course of human history. For identity is not something that simply corresponds to a past glory, formed at one moment in history and then remaining like that forever. It is an ongoing process of constant re-invention.

We must be courageous and face the facts regardless of fear, apprehension and unease. We cannot remain imprisoned in this dark cramped room while the world around us marches on. We must throw open the curtains and go out into the light. Re-discover the spirit of dynamism & enterprise we once had before retreating to this time-capsule and locking the doors.

The book that is in front of you requires you suffer some pain and that you persevere in reflecting and introspection. It will strain your nerves, frighten and anger you. It will trigger instinctive defence mechanisms.

But I have not written this other than with a good intention, longing for us to be better.

Ultimately it is up to, you, the reader, to judge and think for yourself.
     Reply #1686 - December 17, 2014, 08:27 PM

Sounds great  Afro

I'll wait for others to add their input.

Reply #1687 - December 17, 2014, 10:25 PM

I would suggest (just a suggestion) slightly revising that introduction as follows, fixing some of the punctuation and clarifying a bit:

""My Ordeal with the Qur'an and God in the Qur'an" is an English translation of a book originally written in Arabic by Dr. Abbas Abdul Nour, born in Damanhur, Egypt in 1927. A graduate of Al-Azhar University with a doctorate in philosophy, Dr. Nour was a preacher, imam, and head of a Sufi lodge in Egypt.

Over time Dr. Nour began to have doubts about his faith, which led him to endless questions about the Qur'an, and ultimately to the conclusion that revelation is the product of the human mind rather than the mind of god. As a consequence of its human origin, revelation must be subject to human reason, and not the other way around.
     Reply #1688 - December 17, 2014, 11:03 PM

""My Ordeal with the Qur'an and God in the Qur'an" is an English translation of a book originally written in Arabic by Dr. Abbas Abdul Nour, born in Damanhur, Egypt in 1927. A graduate of Al-Azhar University; with a doctorate in philosophy; Dr. Nour was a preacher, imam, and head of a Sufi lodge in Egypt.

Over time Dr. Nour began to have doubts about his faith, which led him to endless questions about the Qur'an. This ultimately led to the conclusion that revelation is the product of the human mind rather than the mind of god. As a consequence of this fact, revelation must be subject to human reason, not to the reasoning of a god. the other way around.
     Reply #1689 - December 18, 2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks Zaotar and Lilly!!

Allat has incorporated them and sent me an awesome recording  Afro
     Reply #1690 - December 18, 2014, 05:47 PM

OK well here's the video. It's "unlisted" and so not public yet. Only those with the link can see it - so please don't share the link - as it may change and also will be later deleted from this channel and put up on the CEMBadmins channel.

So post any comments here please - not on the video comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZo081p3g84
     Reply #1691 - December 18, 2014, 08:49 PM

^

I like it ! 

Is that a turkish ney playing in the background ?   grin12

Reply #1692 - December 18, 2014, 08:51 PM

OK well here's the video. It's "unlisted" and so not public yet. Only those with the link can see it - so please don't share the link - as it may change and also will be later deleted from this channel and put up on the CEMBadmins channel.

So post any comments here please - not on the video comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZo081p3g84

Never mind, question answered by reading the thread lol.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #1693 - December 18, 2014, 09:00 PM

One improvement that could be made is to add the entire text of the post to the video instead of just snippets of it for consistency.

Reply #1694 - December 18, 2014, 09:08 PM

^

I like it ! 

Is that a turkish ney playing in the background ?   grin12

It's the "Classical Arabic Orchestra of Aleppo" (which sadly probably no longer exists - like large parts of the city they come from.)

The music is Arabic - Ottoman Classical Music that was spread throughout the Ottoman lands - and was - and still is - popular in Egypt & the Levant.

and yes the ney is popular in egypt many countries in the arab world as well as turkey.
     Reply #1695 - December 18, 2014, 09:10 PM

One improvement that could be made is to add the entire text of the post to the video instead of just snippets of it for consistency.

I would like to hear more views on this.

My view is that too much text turns viewers off - which is why I selected only some bits to subtitle.
     Reply #1696 - December 18, 2014, 09:15 PM

I agree with TheDarkRebel, I would put all the text on the video.
     Reply #1697 - December 18, 2014, 10:51 PM

OK well I'm happy to go with the majority. But would like some more opinions.
     Reply #1698 - December 19, 2014, 03:31 AM

I disagree, too much text can be confronting. I like it the way it is, with only key sentences included.
     Reply #1699 - December 19, 2014, 05:07 AM

I like key sentences better.
     Reply #1700 - December 19, 2014, 06:53 AM

It's the "Classical Arabic Orchestra of Aleppo" (which sadly probably no longer exists - like large parts of the city they come from.)

Fingers crossed for Pinus halepensis, the Aleppo pine.

Reply #1701 - December 19, 2014, 08:37 AM

Ok well that's 3-2 to Spurs…  grin12 I mean to leaving the video as it is. Unless there are any more opinions.  Smiley
     Reply #1702 - December 19, 2014, 08:59 PM

OK well I think I have done everything that was on my list to do. The things that are within my expertise - I've done.

I don't know how to put the text into an online book in the professional way that Aziz started doing - and doubter_seeker recently took up. So basically we must just hope doubter_seeker comes back when he's able and finish that task.

Smiley

Reply #1703 - December 19, 2014, 09:09 PM

I just finished my Fall semester, so now I should have a bit more time. I'll start proofreading in the next day or so if it's still needed.
     Reply #1704 - December 19, 2014, 09:14 PM

Oh it's still needed - but we will have to wait until doubter_seeker can put all the text into a readable format.

So basically nothing else can be done until that is done.
     Reply #1705 - December 19, 2014, 09:23 PM

I'll be up for proofreading myself, if this happens during this winter break.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #1706 - December 20, 2014, 09:46 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm still alive! I've been keeping a distanced eye at this thread, but I'll have some catching up to do in order to get the details right. So give me a few days while I take a deep breath, and get things back in order!

I'm going to be working on the formatting during the remaining of this month, and probably a good part of the next one. One is everything is nice and readable, the reviewers will each get access to the Google Drive folder. I may just gave early access to chapters that are already done so that work can start early.

I'm not sure if I will give edit access to everyone, or just the ability to write comments on the side. Like this, Abu Ali would then be able to pick from the comments and apply appropriate corrections.

Once all that is done, I'll transfer over the text into a proper word processor, convert it to PDF, strip all personally identifiable metadata, get an EPUB (eBook) ready, and we'll see what happens from then.

That's all for now, see you soon!
     Reply #1707 - December 20, 2014, 10:38 PM

Great to see you doubterseeker  Afro

Thanks
     Reply #1708 - December 29, 2014, 04:07 PM

Hello again! Hope everyone is having a good holiday season so far.

Apologies for being silent again. Things are a bit slow on my side right now, but I promise editing will resume soon.

Trying to keep myself together as my parents are about to have a 'talk' with me about my whole religion ordeal. Few months ago I told them about my apostasy and asked for time; and time is up. They want to believe its a phase but clearly it is not. I'm choosing to be transparent with them as we already have trust issues, and don't want to make things worse. I had to lie a bit and tell them that I'm just having doubts and what not, but I'm a terrible liar, and can't act for the rest of my life.

Anyways, I'll be posting back in a day or two and let you know what happened. Stressed out as my family ties are on the line, and depending on how it unfolds, it can either go okay, or I might be asked to leave... I'll post an intro once my story develops a bit more.

Wish me luck!
     Reply #1709 - December 29, 2014, 04:14 PM

Good luck doubter_seeker9, and take your time! Have you the resources to cope on your own if needs be?
  • Previous page 1 ... 55 56 5758 59 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »