Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"

(Read 272967 times)
  • 12 3 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"
     OP - April 28, 2010, 04:32 PM

This is the most incredibly written book about the true Quran. Written by a previous Mullah who finally decided that enough is enough and admited that he is now an athiest.

He is an authority in the Arabic language grammer and poetry, and also an authority in the Islamic faith. In this book he disects the Quran to show that it is not at all a miracle as Muslims portry...

I just finished reading it and I recomend it to all our members here who can read Arabic. I wish there is a translated version so that you all can read it...

My Ordeal With The Quran

Mod-edit: See thread with the actual translations.

• Re: Discussion about "My Ordeal with the Qur'an"
     Reply #1 - April 28, 2010, 04:56 PM

We have a wiki (apparently for nothing). Start translating some excerpts you find very interesting. grin12

Edit: Ugh, it's a PDF with images, not text that can be copied. That's terrible for translation. :(

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #2 - April 28, 2010, 05:14 PM

We have a wiki (apparently for nothing). Start translating some excerpts you find very interesting. grin12

Edit: Ugh, it's a PDF with images, not text that can be copied. That's terrible for translation. :(

I wish I have the time to translate, besides my English is not that good to do the translation. The thing is, it is full of poems and Quranic passages that no google translate or other translation engines can translate.

But believe me it is the best book that exposes the Quran from an expert in the Arabic language and the Islamic faith combined. He studied Islamic faith at Al-Azhar university. He compares the poetic Quran with the old famous poems by famous pre-Islamic Arabian poets.

Reply #3 - April 28, 2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks RIBS, just downloaded it and will give it a read when I have time - not in the mood for much heavy reading these days.

Do you know if the book is available to buy online? I'd much rather read it in book form that as a pdf doc - particularly on my laptop - I got tired just reading the intro!
     Reply #4 - April 28, 2010, 05:40 PM

No problem, RIBS.

I uploaded the PDF file to our server. The author shouldn't mind, I guess. grin12

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #5 - April 28, 2010, 05:52 PM

gonna read it tonight.. sounds great..  Afro
    thanks ribs!!
     Reply #6 - April 28, 2010, 07:58 PM

Wish it was in english.....grrrr! finmad
     Reply #7 - April 28, 2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks RIBS, just downloaded it and will give it a read when I have time - not in the mood for much heavy reading these days.

Do you know if the book is available to buy online? I'd much rather read it in book form that as a pdf doc - particularly on my laptop - I got tired just reading the intro!

No it is not available online nor in book stores am afraid. It is banned in the Muslim world. The author an Egyptian scholar born 1927 wrote the book when he was 80 years old. He says in the intro that he is not optimistic that it will stay in book stores. He knows most copies will get burned. He says he wasted all his life believing in a good that never showed any sign of existance. Although he was 80 but he says he is happy dying while he knows the truth.

Reply #8 - April 28, 2010, 08:04 PM

That is amazing - surely there must be a way to get it published - and translated!
     Reply #9 - April 28, 2010, 08:09 PM

Wish it was in english.....grrrr! finmad

maybe if one day we devide the chapters among us Arabic speakers and try translate as much as possible. The book really is an Autopsy of a dead book.

Reply #10 - April 28, 2010, 08:14 PM

This sounds incredible. This is the kind of thing that really needs to be out there, and read.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #11 - April 28, 2010, 08:16 PM

He says, and I agree, that although the Quran has many beatiful poetic passages, the majority is rubish badly written, with loads of grammar mistakes, but Islamic schools and societies only recite the best part that it got diluted. He actually shows examples of badly written verses.

Another good point he raises is the challange that asks people to create similar verses if the can. He says no one can, because it is only unique as Almutanabi is unique or shakesper is unique. No one can imitate the original and that is not heavenly.

I totally agree. If you look at musicians for example, no one can imitate Elvis or Michael Jackson. Because there is this originality that every one has.

Reply #12 - April 28, 2010, 08:55 PM

Me too, wish it was in English as I would have read it.  Whats his name by the way?

It would be a shame for an Islamic scholar, who studied at Al-Azhar, with 80 years of experience and who has covered something like this so comprehensively, for it all to just go down the drain :(

Can those people who read it in Arabic put forward a brief synopsis , like RIBS just did?

He says, and I agree, that although the Quran has many beatiful poetic passages, the majority is rubish badly written, with loads of grammar mistakes, but Islamic schools and societies only recite the best part that it got diluted. He actually shows examples of badly written verses.

Can you list a few of the verses here, so we can take a look at them?

Another good point he raises is the challange that asks people to create similar verses if the can. He says no one can, because it is only unique as Almutanabi is unique or shakesper is unique. No one can imitate the original and that is not heavenly.

A good point, although I wouldnt put the Quran in the same league as Shakespeare.  The Quran is crappily written, thats why its so difficult to replicate.  Nobody would want to put their name to that drivel, and it would never sell if it was not supposedly authored by Allah.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - April 28, 2010, 09:39 PM

i'd honestly love to read it aswell in English, but would rather reserve my judgement on it until i do. since i am not an arabic speaker (how i wish i was) i don't know too much about this sort of stuff. i remeber debunker always went on about the poetic factor of the Quran. there is one article however that i have read reagrding the topic that i found quite balanced:

http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/arabic.htm

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #14 - April 28, 2010, 10:27 PM

Me too, wish it was in English as I would have read it.  Whats his name by the way?

It would be a shame for an Islamic scholar, who studied at Al-Azhar, with 80 years of experience and who has covered something like this so comprehensively, for it all to just go down the drain :(

Can those people who read it in Arabic put forward a brief synopsis , like RIBS just did?

Can you list a few of the verses here, so we can take a look at them?

A good point, although I wouldnt put the Quran in the same league as Shakespeare.  The Quran is crappily written, thats why its so difficult to replicate.  Nobody would want to put their name to that drivel, and it would never sell if it was not supposedly authored by Allah.

The author's name is Abbas AbdulNoor. He is from a small city called Damanhoor (Egypt). I will try and point some good points he raised and I liked. And people who like something interesting they can post it here in this thread...

Here is the inside cover of the book translated. I have no idea what Trial Print means???

Reply #15 - April 28, 2010, 10:30 PM

It was written six years ago, and we only get it now?  Anyhow will google the name, and see if I can dig anything up..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - April 28, 2010, 10:31 PM

Wow, this sounds great. Will read it as soon as I'm done with the book I'm reading at the moment.
     Reply #17 - April 28, 2010, 10:33 PM

I have no idea what Trial Print means???

I would guess it means that it was a specimen, practise draft of some kind.

This book really does sound like something else, from how its been described.

God is Love.

Reply #18 - April 28, 2010, 10:35 PM

Shame this guy was not put down as a scholar in this list of exmuslim converts youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLiMlQzTHlQ ..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - April 28, 2010, 10:41 PM

I found this: http://www.ahl-alquran.com/arabic/show_article.php?main_id=2802

A critical look at the book.

Note how the guy belittles the author by claiming he's mentally ill then goes on to say he'll keep an open mind while analyzing the book. And note how in the next sentence he says saying going from belief to skepticism is like saying going from enlightenment to ignorance -- a contradiction in terms. So much for keeping an open mind. Cheesy
     Reply #20 - April 28, 2010, 10:46 PM

Wow. I hate saying this, but why is it that Muslims love ad hominem attacks? Of all the religious groups out there, Muslims do it the most. I hate saying this, but why the hell do they do that?

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #21 - April 28, 2010, 10:54 PM

How about those who are members at the Arab Atheists network, perhaps raise this question over there i.e. whether they would be interested in translating it bit by bit.

In theory I think if every Arab speaking member on this forum and that forum, just translated a page, we would get there very quickly.

Even if we get just a quarter of the book translated, that would be good enough and the information would disseminate from there (I would be first by sticking the best bits in my blog lol).  

Like I said, it would be a tragedy for 80 years of experience to go to waste like that.

It just needs somebody to coordinate it..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - April 28, 2010, 10:58 PM

Considering someone already translated The God Delusion to Arabic, I'm sure someone would be willing and able to translate this one to English. Wink
     Reply #23 - April 28, 2010, 11:02 PM

Well the only coverage this book has had in the last 6 years is by cobwebs.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - April 28, 2010, 11:06 PM

Well then, let's start a thread.
     Reply #25 - April 28, 2010, 11:11 PM

OK, let's get organized and start translating it.

How do you guys suggest doing it? As IsLame suggested, the best way is to do it is collectively.

I guess we should use this thread to choose which page(s) to translate then report back, and others on the thread can make amendments.

For example, if I choose the first page of the intro, I have to say so here, translate it, post my translation, then someone else can pick it up and make sure it sounds good.

This is my attempt at translating the first paragraph of the intro:

This book is an honest call to read the Quran anew to truly understand it. And to break the shackles that have corrupted our thought. And corrupted our reading of life and destiny. And forced us to see existence and things from one ideological perspective. And as much as the Quran in its time was a tool of progress and construction, today it's a tool of backwardness and destruction. And a nightmare that takes over brains and minds.

Reply #26 - April 28, 2010, 11:15 PM

Good luck to you all. We Arabic illiterates will be in your debt. This book sounds very important.

God is Love.

Reply #27 - April 28, 2010, 11:15 PM

We can use this one  Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #28 - April 28, 2010, 11:17 PM

Maybe you could each translate a chapter, starting with the shortest ones and then eventually collectively translating the longest ones.
     Reply #29 - April 28, 2010, 11:19 PM

(Mods - I think we should merge this thread with RIBS one)

For those Arabic novice, we dont need accurate translations  - we could pick up on that later. How many pages long is this book btw?

If we can get this book in electronic format, I would happy to read it just by using google translate (or I'd be happy to pay for an even better online Arabic conversion tool)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • 12 3 ... 61 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »