Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Single Mother of 8 living in 2.6 million mansion funded by taxpayers

(Read 5477 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Single Mother of 8 living in 2.6 million mansion funded by taxpayers
     OP - December 16, 2009, 04:22 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1235604/Single-mother-living-2-6m-mansion--Labours-housing-benefit-crackdown.html

A year after the Government vowed to crack down on housing benefits, a single mother of eight is still living in a ?2.6million mansion funded by taxpayers.

Francesca Walker receives more than ?90,000 a year in housing allowance to meet the rent on the five-bedroom villa, plus other payouts of ?15,000.

A defiant Miss Walker, 34, insists that she and her children aged from six to 16 are completely justified in living there as the council could not find them a big enough home.
    And, bizarrely, she claims that 'living in this house is holding me back'.

Miss Walker, whose near neighbours include David Cameron, Elle Macpherson and Hugh Grant, said: 'I've started my own business making organic soaps and bath products but any money I make I have to pay straight back to the council so there's no incentive for me to work hard to grow my business.
    'Lovely though the house is, I'd prefer to live in a cheaper one. But I had to move from my old flat as gangs kicked my door down and harassed my children.'

The four-storey villa in Notting Hill, West London, which costs taxpayers ?7,600 a month, has five bedrooms, three bathrooms, a double living room, study and roof terrace.

'This house is lovely and spacious, and with three bathrooms we don't have to queue in the mornings,' added Miss Walker.

'If it seems like I've landed on my feet, I have. But I can't afford to buy a house myself and I can't work because I have eight children to look after.

'Where would people rather my family was - out on the street?'

Miss Walker was given the house last September on a three-year lease because a rule introduced in April 2008 forces local authorities to place tenants in private properties if suitable council homes are unavailable.
    This was intended to promote fairness but has caused, in some cases, huge cost to the taxpayer.

Last month, it was revealed that a Somali family of nine are living in a ?1.8million central London house costing ?1,600 a week.

And a family of eight Afghan immigrants have been housed for the last 14 months in a ? 1.2million house in Ealing, West London, at a cost so far of ?168,000.

While then Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell said he would crack down on the failing system last year, little seems to have been done although a Government source said yesterday that a crackdown on high rates of housing allowance would be announced this week.

Miss Walker said: 'It's great living here, obviously, but it's ridiculous that the Government have housed me here as it's a complete waste of money.

'There are a lot of people who defraud the system and abuse it - it's not difficult to take advantage of it.'

Miss Walker, a Muslim convert, was brought up by her Jamaican-born mother after they were abandoned by her father, a musician.

She was taken into care at 14 when her mother had a nervous breakdown.

She said: 'I lived in three foster homes and moved school five times. By 17, I was living in a children's home with some disreputable characters.
    'I was afraid of being abused and becoming a junkie. I began to explore Islam.'

She converted to the religion and had five children with her first husband before divorcing five years later.
    She had three more children from a second marriage, which also lasted five years.

Miss Walker insisted: 'I'm the product of a failed society. My family failed me, the council failed me and I failed myself. I should not have married and got pregnant at 17.

'On the other hand, I've never been in trouble with the law, my kids are healthy and well-looked-after, we're moderate Muslims, not extremists, and I'm taking a psychology degree with the Open University so I can be a support worker for families who are socially excluded.'

The property owner Mr Armstrong, who lived there with his wife and three children before moving to a nearby borough, declined to comment.

Kensington and Chelsea Council originally said it had to house Miss Walker in the borough as her children were all at local schools, but now she has removed them all for home education.

Despite this the council claims there is still nothing it can do and it is just 'following Government

Wow! The UK is sooo rich, wish I could migrate there.  Tongue

Btw, if you see the piccy in the Daily Mail link this woman Francesca is not only wearing a burkha herself,  her little girl Rasheeda is also wearing a black burkha, why's she made such a young kid veil?  Huh?

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
  • Re: Single Mother of 8 living in 2.6 million mansion funded by taxpayers
     Reply #1 - December 16, 2009, 09:29 PM

The Daily Mail makes me laugh.

Last month, it was revealed that a Somali family of nine are living in a ?1.8million central London house costing ?1,600 a week.

And a family of eight Afghan immigrants have been housed for the last 14 months in a ? 1.2million house in Ealing, West London, at a cost so far of ?168,000.

Are all these big houses being given only to immigrants?

Also, Miss Walker has been put in that house, even though she would prefer somewhere smaller because it is costing her too much money and said it is ridiculous the government has put her in that house because it is a waste of money.

Anyway, I don't see what the issue is here. We have a wonderful system in the UK called the welfare state, which helps people to to eat and have a roof over their heads. We would be complaining a lot more if we let people starve like in most countries in the world.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #2 - December 22, 2009, 12:54 AM

well there difference between giving her a leg up so she doesn't fall down versus carrying her entire self on a piggy back ride to everywhere

2.6million dollar mansion is just ridiculous
     Reply #3 - December 22, 2009, 09:42 AM

Of course, but why is she to blame for the government's stupid mistake.

When I ran away from my ex husband, the refuge alongside the council had to house me and my 3 kids, which meant they had to pay the rent for a private rented house.  It was ?366 a week.  I was there for 4 yrs, and for 4yrs I was unable to even consider working because I would never have been able to afford the rent, so i really identify with this lady.  She can't do anything to improve her life now because she can't afford to house her kids if she risks it.

Obviously no one told her to have so many children without being able to provide for them, but shit happens.  I certainly didn't think I would be struggling alone barely able to make ends meet, with 3 children and a broken marriage behind me.  I doubt this is where she saw herself either.

The government needs to prepare some larger houses at council rent rates, because there are many large families, and guess what rashna, some of them aren't even muslims.  Wink

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - December 22, 2009, 11:22 AM

Who here thinks, along with myself that if this lady wasn't a Muslim, this story wouldn't have even made the headlines?

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #5 - December 22, 2009, 04:49 PM

Of course, but why is she to blame for the government's stupid mistake.

And, bizarrely, she claims that 'living in this house is holding me back'
    Miss Walker, whose near neighbours include David Cameron, Elle Macpherson and Hugh Grant, said: 'I've started my own business making organic soaps and bath products but any money I make I have to pay straight so there's no incentive for me to work hard to grow my business.' "

Reply #6 - December 22, 2009, 04:54 PM

there's no incentive for me to work hard to grow my business.' "

I repeat, based on her rent, what could she possibly earn to cover it? 

I've been there, I know people there right now.  They want to work, but they would never be able to afford rent because of where the council houses them.  The private sector is very expensive in certain parts of the country.

Instead of insisting on relocating these large families further out to where housing is much much cheaper, they house them locally in places beyond their financial means.

I guess this is something you can only understand if you've lived through it, it's hard for me to assign anger and blame to a load of dumb choices that.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #7 - December 22, 2009, 09:50 PM

The government needs to prepare some larger houses at council rent rates, because there are many large families, and guess what rashna, some of them aren't even muslims.  Wink

Please find where I claimed that all such families are Muslim?  Roll Eyes

Yes I dislike Islam, I haven't exactly claimed otherwise, but there's no need to draw the conclusion that I said something against Muslims when I didn't.  Roll Eyes

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #8 - December 22, 2009, 10:06 PM

You would not post this if it weren't for the fact that the family is Muslim.

Who here thinks, along with myself that if this lady wasn't a Muslim, this story wouldn't have even made the headlines?

^this

An issue about welfare and government spending.. nothing to do with religion or ethnicity.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #9 - December 22, 2009, 10:14 PM

You would not post this if it weren't for the fact that the family is Muslim.

Proof?
    I have been on this forum for almost a year now, & I've posted quite a few stuff not related to Islam & Muslims. Although I dislike Islam, as I have admitted, there's no reason to make baseless accusations. I merely posted this coz I thought UK must have a lot of money to give million pound mansions to welfare folks.

Reply #10 - December 22, 2009, 10:39 PM

Proof?

You are Rashna. Case closed.

Not that you can read this, but whatever.

fuck you
     Reply #11 - December 23, 2009, 12:48 AM

Sounds to good to be true (doesn't it always with the Daily Mail) but if it is a blunder by the government then it was well contrived to ensure bad press, possibly towards Muslims. Let see this article makes out Muslims:
    - have too many kids
    - come over here and eat our tax
    - override British people on waiting lists
    - are given red carpet treatment
    - sponges

Good going the Government & Daily Mail, if it was their intention. This country has to open flood gates in the future due to a shortage of people and such articles are not constructive.
     Reply #12 - December 23, 2009, 01:34 AM

Proof?
    I have been on this forum for almost a year now, & I've posted quite a few stuff not related to Islam & Muslims. Although I dislike Islam, as I have admitted, there's no reason to make baseless accusations. I merely posted this coz I thought UK must have a lot of money to give million pound mansions to welfare folks.

Are you aware there are non-Muslims who are using the benefit system to their advantage? Or is it only Muslims, which would otherwise make your post relevant? If you haven't noticed, this matter about housing-benefit is political, not religious.

And what proof do we need when most of your posts is all about how Muslims did that and this?

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who refuse to understand, no explanation is possible.
     Reply #13 - January 02, 2010, 01:17 AM

Dont forget that in about 6 months time, Labour will no longer be in power, and the only thing that stories like these are doing is fueling more and more support for the BNP.

You really do not want to migrate to the UK right now.

If the BNP do come into power, you can bet that these families would be kicked out of those homes and deported back to where they came from.

(I do not support the BNP in anyway, but labour have destroyed the UK, and their actions and the media are unfortunately creating an exponential rise in the amount of support for the BNP).

We keep hearing about how Jack Straw or the French government have mentioned the veil and our doing so puts us in the same boat as them. How so? I want a ban on the burka, neqab and child veiling.

you can either defend women or you must defend Islam. You can’t defend both

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #14 - January 02, 2010, 02:04 AM

I don't have a problem with examining how some communities might be dependant on welfare out of proportion to their population. Its good that these things get discussed. I don't think there's anything wrong with highlighting it in newspapers too.

The only problem I have with the Daily Mail and their editorial line is that the largest majority of benefit fraud, cross-generational benefit dependancy, occurs in a demographic of the white population of the UK, and this doesn't spin so easily into whatever the editorial agenda is in these troubled times.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #15 - January 12, 2010, 01:46 PM

If government had built more social housing then this situation would not occur.
    I wonder if anyone in this government has a brain cell between them.

Arthur.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »