Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam-what inventions,science,technology are there

(Read 4706 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islam-what inventions,science,technology are there
     OP - November 05, 2009, 09:06 AM

In the last 200 years is there anything in science,maths,technology,inventions,etc that can be credited with coming from islam?

Anything no matter how trivial even preventing skidmarks.
  • Re: Islam-what inventions,science,technology are there
     Reply #1 - November 05, 2009, 09:37 AM

In the last 200 years is there anything in science,maths,technology,inventions,etc that can be credited with coming from islam?

Anything no matter how trivial even preventing skidmarks.

To claim that Islam has created or caused something is akin to 'correlation doesn't equal causation'. Islam has created nothing, just as Christianity has created nothing.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #2 - November 05, 2009, 09:42 AM

I would say that from about 200 years ago, Islamic civilisation has been in a huge decline. The Ottomans were struggling as well as the other kingdoms and caliphates. I'm not sure there has been anything specific in the past 200 years. Although they did have their glory about 1000 years ago, which is still talked about by muslims today.
     Reply #3 - November 05, 2009, 10:10 AM

Most of the gold in the golden age was stolen from other civilizations. As soon as theocracy settled in, and the neighbors ran out of gold, the gold ran out. As opposed to the golden age of the renaissance where they rode on the shoulders of giants/dwarves and produced gold.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #4 - November 05, 2009, 11:39 AM

Not trying to compare religions here christians do hold back science today with stem cell research just want to know what has been produced by muslims living under Islamic rule?

Mossadegh who brought democracy briefly to Iran was i believe educated in france and the uk he  was pretty good and i think Iran had the worlds largest oil refinery so just trying to find out what has been produced rather than pumped or mined from the ground.

Very happy to concede the Arabs did lead the world once upon a time so intelligence undisputed with the smart ones just trying to work out exactly why they fell behind under Islam.

Reply #5 - November 05, 2009, 11:51 AM

So if maths was declared the work of satan is that still valid?

For me physics is just maths applied to word problems lol.
     Reply #6 - November 05, 2009, 01:39 PM

So if maths was declared the work of satan is that still valid?

I've heard this a few times, but I've never seen a source for this statement. I think even Neil deGrasse Tyson (astrophysicist) said this once in one of his talks. Maybe it's a lie and it has become fact already?

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #7 - November 05, 2009, 05:13 PM

Very happy to concede the Arabs did lead the world once upon a time so intelligence undisputed with the smart ones just trying to work out exactly why they fell behind under Islam.

Good question, Ive only got 2 overly-simplistic answers for this one

i) in-fighting resulted - a religion that grew by the sword, was ultimately destroyed by its own sword

ii) there came a critical point where our civilisations needed education, not brute force, for continued growth and sustenance - as the Islamic meme was inflexible and could only work on one cylinder, it faltered.. 

If anyone can do better I would also be interested to know..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - November 06, 2009, 02:14 AM

I guess the list stands with Mosques and not much else.

Cheetah in another thread on this topic you vaguely hinted at some other knowledge breakthrough is there anything you can add?

Women not participating would have to be a huge factor.

I think it was al gazali (?on spelling) who branded maths as satans work can anyone enlighten me on the current attitude towards maths with Islam?

Is it reasonable to assume the Isamic attitude towards environmental issues is one of god is taking care of that so no worries?
     Reply #9 - November 06, 2009, 02:29 AM

In recent history. Not Islam himself but an Ahmadi Muslim, Abdus Salam, contributed to the electro-weak theory in quantum physics and was awarded a Nobel Prize. As far as Islamic civilisation contributing to science, check the internet lol. Omar Khayyam contributed to Mathematics, there were advances in chemistry and medicine made but I suggest you look this up.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #10 - November 06, 2009, 04:48 AM

In recent history. Not Islam himself but an Ahmadi Muslim, Abdus Salam, contributed to the electro-weak theory in quantum physics and was awarded a Nobel Prize. As far as Islamic civilisation contributing to science, check the internet lol. Omar Khayyam contributed to Mathematics, there were advances in chemistry and medicine made but I suggest you look this up.

Which proves nothing - a Muslim might accomplish something but that has nothing to do with Islam. To claim that Islam has accomplished something would be as stupid as claiming deism has accomplished something if I get a good mark on an essay.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #11 - November 06, 2009, 05:53 AM

A quick look on wiki which i dont really like  because of accuracy issues tells me

Omar- was atheist.
    Abdus- the Pakistan government decisions regarding the ahmadi cast some doubt on claims the ahmadi are even muslims.
    Apostasy- claims its not acceptable to kill apostates yet further down all agree beheading is the preferred method of execution.

All good i just dont want anyone saying to me what about Al Davinci? lol.

I like the summary Baal has given.

Reply #12 - November 06, 2009, 10:16 AM

I thought 'Omar Khayyam' was an agnostic?  He must have been borderline at least borderline during his writing of 'maggot starved fanatic crew' poetry? 

In any case Islamic contribution to science is significantly less than its rivals - as Ive said before, consider this 30% of the world population is muslim, and the possess 3% of nobel prizes.  Jews on the otherhand are only 3% of the world population and have 30% of the Nobel prizes.  What does this say about Islamic culture?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - November 06, 2009, 11:37 AM

Omar Khayam was indeed an agnostic or a skeptic. This can be seen through his poetry. I think it was fairly brave of him, then again what could be said is that at that time muslims were might have been more tolerant of heretics and back sliders. They might have viewed him as a heretic rather than an outright unbeliever.

Abu Hanifa, the founder of the Hanafi school of thought was known to have debated atheists in open forums. I have no source for this and have only heard this from talks etc.

As far as science is concerned, all that happened 1000 years ago and was a fairly brief period. To deny it would be silly, credit should be given where it is due. But I always see it as more a sign of independent thought rather than being influenced by religion.

In philosophy there is no doubt that a fair amount of thought from antiquity was used by the likes of Ibn Sina, Al-Farrabi, Al-Kindi and Ibn Rushd. They looked at philosophy as something not contradicting revelation but as working alongside it. They saw revelation for the common man and philosophy for the thinking man. The tragedy of it is the abandoning of the philosophical tradition for dogma. The results of which can be seen today.
     Reply #14 - November 07, 2009, 12:53 AM

lol obviously. The title of this thread is a bit misleading. It should be how Islamic civilisation contributed to scientific fields and so on.

I thought 'Omar Khayyam' was an agnostic?  He must have been borderline at least borderline during his writing of 'maggot starved fanatic crew' poetry? 

In any case Islamic contribution to science is significantly less than its rivals - as Ive said before, consider this 30% of the world population is muslim, and the possess 3% of nobel prizes.  Jews on the otherhand are only 3% of the world population and have 30% of the Nobel prizes.  What does this say about Islamic culture?

Well it says a lot about how Islamic civilisation has not progressed in terms of thought and the approach they adopt to education and scientific research. They value religion above anything else. Instead of critical analysis they adopt blind faith. Muslims countries, simply put, are just more religious in general and not at all open-minded. However that was not hard to figure out. I know your question was rhetorical but felt like getting that off my chest.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #15 - November 07, 2009, 03:10 PM

I couldnt think of anything thats why i asked just in case i missed something.

Abdus and the ahmadi are interesting i wonder what evidence is needed to convict an ahmadi in Pakistan for "outraging the religious feelings of muslims" which is 3 years jail and a fine,sounds like a kangaroo court to me.

I am starting to wonder what is taught in Islamic schools and thinking Arabic and the holy books obviously no 7th grade biology.

I would say muslims take this god thing far more seriously than any other belief some christians i know only really go to church for weddings and funerals and most get stuck after about 6-7 of the 10 commandments.

A lot of atheist/agnostics here in Australia i have lived in the USA where they take this jesus stuff far more seriously than they do down here.

It was wiki that said Omar was atheist and wiki is not always right.

Reply #16 - November 08, 2009, 12:17 AM

Cheetah in another thread on this topic you vaguely hinted at some other knowledge breakthrough is there anything you can add?

I'm not sure which thread or comment you're referring to?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #17 - November 08, 2009, 02:46 AM

I think it was in science yet cant remember as i have read lots of threads.

Not to worry as you didnt type anything specific and my thoughts are the potential was certainly there yet the environment they were in  couldnt let anything happen.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »