Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Microscopic Photography - Beautiful images

(Read 7594 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Microscopic Photography - Beautiful images
     OP - October 12, 2009, 03:49 PM

There are millions of photo competitions. But very few of them deal with objects that are normally invisible to the naked eye. SPIEGEL ONLINE brings you the winners of this year's microscopic photo competition.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,654690,00.html

First place in this year's Nikon Small World Competition went to Heiti Paves of Estonia. The image shows the anther of a thale cress (arabidopsis thaliana) magnified 20 times. The plants pollinate themselves and reproduce quickly, making them a favorite for genetics researchers.

Second place, Gerd G?nther of Germany. The spiny sow thistle (sonchus asper) can be found in Austria and Germany. This image is part of the plant's flower stem magnified 150 times.

Third place, Pedro Barrios-Perez of Canada. The image shows a wrinkled photoresist, a light-sensitive material used in a number of industrial processes, such as micro-electronics. The image was magnified 200 times.

Twelfth place, Tsutomu Seimiya of Japan. What does soap look like when it flows off of a slide? Like this, magnified 10 times.

Fifteenth place, Fabrice Parais of France. This alien-looking creature is actually the water larvae of an atherix ibis, a species of fly. The little guy was magnified 25 times.

Ninteenth place, Yanping Wang of China. A snowflake, magnified 40 times.

More images at http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-47664.html
  • Re: Microscopic Photography - Beautiful images
     Reply #1 - October 12, 2009, 03:57 PM

Wow!  I would have given first place to the little water larva guy, but they're all class.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - October 12, 2009, 04:11 PM

Nice pictures, particularly the winner

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - October 21, 2009, 05:36 AM

I thought snowflakes were flat. The soap one is my favourite. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - October 21, 2009, 06:58 AM

The water larva dude is cool. Nice hair do. Afro

Reply #5 - October 21, 2009, 08:26 AM

Wow!  I would have given first place to the little water larva guy, but they're all class.

Yup, that one was awesome.  yes

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - November 28, 2009, 08:18 PM

More pictures from a different contest:
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,663849,00.html

The wonders of Allah, eh science.

When the praying mantis (Rhombodera basalis) feels threatened, she transforms herself into a dancing alien. This species, native to Malaysia, grows to be as much as 10 centimeters. When the mantis goes into her famous praying pose, she's not paying tribute to a higher authority, but getting ready to spring on its prey.

Fibrin is a protein created by the body that works with platelets in the blood to clot a wound. As they reach the wound site, they attach themselves to fibers, and create a mesh. Working with the platelets, they make a scab that covers the wound until it heals. Though, with the naked eye you would never guess that the process looks like this.

The zebrafish, or zebra danio, is a tropical fresh-water fish not only popular in aquariums around the world, but in research tanks as well. Danio rerio plays an important role in teaching us more about evolution. These two-day old larvae will turn into adult fish in three months. Scientists have found that zebrafish have the ability to regenerate fins, skins, the heart and the brain during the larval stages.

Not every sunflower grows up to reach its idol. Parasites and disease can turn fields of gold into fields of brown. Dr. Damaris Odeny is making it her mission to find out what makes plants more resiliant to pests. "I'm from a country where hunger is still a problem," the Kenyan biologist says, adding that her research could change that.

That's not coral -- but a true-to life model of the human vascular system. This series of veins have been plastinated using a method developed by Dr. Gunther von Hagens, the scientist behind the often controversial Body Worlds exhibits. A liquid plastic gets injected into the blood stream. When it hardens, scientists can study the system as it is in the human body.

Meet Paro. He's a robotic seal developed by Japanese researchers to help dementia patients feel that they have companionship and a feeling of security, without the responsibilities of a living pet. Made to emulate a live pet as much as possible, he can cuddle, nod and blink his big black eyes. Paro is currently being tested with patients in Baden-Baden and there are already 1,000 robot seals deployed in long-term care homes in Japan.

There are approximately 100 billion nerve cells in an adult brian. Each of those communicate with as many as 1,000 other nerves throughout the human body. It's the most complex system in the human body and to study it, scientists use a substance that makes the nerve fluoresce in a scan. The researchers then take pictures of the nerves in action.

Robert Jordan has only one leg, but thanks to a hydraulic prosthesis, he can live his life just as he did before his accident at work. Sensors take as many as 50 measurements per second to determine where and how much force is being applied to the prosthetic. Those measurements are then sent to a micropocessor that then uses a series of algorithms to determine the appropriate movement. That allows Jordan to round up longhorns all day long.

The Tabernas desert in Spain gets 320 days of sun a year, which made it the perfect place for the Plataforma Solar de Almer?a (PSA). The German Aerospace Center (DLR) has been part of the solar energies research facility since its beggining in 1981. More than 20,000 square-meters of mirrors fill the 100 hectare facility -- that's as big as 225 football fields.

Julia Stoess works at making small things into something that can be studied with the naked eye. She makes exact models of insects, with the only difference being their size. This model of a misquito is 60 times bigger than its live counterpart.

To make the Audi R8's aluminum frame, the body of the car goes into an oven heated 185 Celsius (365 Fahrenheit). Sensors placed along the car make sure it gets baked evenly. Here, a worker at the Audi factory in Neckarsulm gives a done frame a once-over. Aluminum frames are mostly used in luxury and sports-model cars.

Just like his flesh-and-blood counterparts, "AquaPenguin" can dive and swim through the waters. He navigates the seas on his own, using the same sonar principles dolphins use to communicate with the environment around him.

A cross-section of muscle tissue, surrounded by the extracellular tissue that acts as the connective tissue. Each muscle fiber is joined together by the connective tissue to make up the complete muscle. Myasenthia is an neuromuscular disease caused by a faulty relationship between the two.

I2D2 is one of the newest team members in the field of computer chip production. It's his job to stabalize temperatures during the manufacturing process. Day and night he patrols the facility, an area of more than 10,000 square meters (108,000 square feet) to ensure the chips are at the right temperature. He already has more than 75 kilometers logged on his odometer.

In honor of Charles Darwin's 200th birthday and the 150th anniversary of his masterpiece, "On the Origin of Species," two members of the daisy family show how they've evolved to adapt to their surroundings. Each have changed in order to make it easier for insects to get to their pollen.

An electron microscope catches the immune system blooming into action. A white blood cell (red) wraps itself around a mycobacterium tuberculosis, the causative agent of most cases of tuberculosis. Phagocyte, as a white blood cell is known as, comes from the Greek word phagein (to eat), and that's what the cell does, rendering the infectious cell benign.

In order to accurately measure the amount of electroradiation that a new television produces, a researcher has to be in a completely sound-proof room. This makes the job a very isolating one.
     Reply #7 - November 28, 2009, 08:26 PM

Cool shots.  Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #8 - November 28, 2009, 08:32 PM

Yeah very neat!

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #9 - December 07, 2009, 07:01 AM

Eptesicus Fuscus (Big Brown Bat)

Holcocephala Fusca (Robber Fly)

Coccinellidae (Lady Bug)

Gekko (Gecko)

Solenopsis (Fire Ant)

Helix Aspersa (Garden Snail)

Maevia Inclemens (Female Jumping Spider)

That last one!!! Vamoose

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #10 - December 07, 2009, 09:35 AM

WoW

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - December 07, 2009, 01:21 PM

Wow2
     Reply #12 - December 12, 2009, 10:24 PM

Brain Array
     Courtesy Kelly Johnson/University of Utah Department of Neurosurgery
    Here, microwires emerging from the green and orange tubes connect to two arrays of 16 microelectrodes. Each array is embedded in a small mat of clear, rubbery silicone. The mats are barely visible in this image. These microelectrode arrays sit on the brain without penetrating it, a step toward longer-lived, less invasive versions of "neural interfaces" that in recent experiments elsewhere have allowed paralyzed people to control a computer cursor with their thoughts. The new microelectrode arrays were placed in two patients at the University of Utah who already were undergoing brain surgery for severe epilepsy. The larger, numbered, metallic electrodes are used to locate the source of epileptic seizures in the brain, so the patients allowed the microelectrodes to be placed on their brains at the same time.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - December 12, 2009, 10:26 PM

Homemade Helicopter
     China Daily China Daily Inform/ Reuters
    Wu Zhongyuan, 22, a local farmer, sits in his self-made helicopter, in Jiuxian county, Henan province August 1, 2009. The local government, out of safety concerns, later halted Wu's plan to fly the helicopter. The aircraft took Wu two months to build and cost more than 10,000 yuan ($1,460).

http://www.popsci.com/node/36702

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - December 12, 2009, 11:18 PM

These microelectrode arrays sit on the brain without penetrating it, a step toward longer-lived, less invasive versions of "neural interfaces" that in recent experiments elsewhere have allowed paralyzed people to control a computer cursor with their thoughts. The new microelectrode arrays were placed in two patients at the University of Utah who already were undergoing brain surgery for severe epilepsy. The larger, numbered, metallic electrodes are used to locate the source of epileptic seizures in the brain, so the patients allowed the microelectrodes to be placed on their brains at the same time.

Creepy
     Reply #15 - October 04, 2010, 03:40 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8023681/Photos-on-Sunday-insects.html?image=1

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - October 04, 2010, 09:27 PM

WOW!  This thread has some stunning photos!!   Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #17 - October 05, 2010, 03:09 PM

The blood clot picture is soo amazing. We are studying the subject at the moment and I'm gonna forward it to my professor.
  • Microscopic Photography - Beautiful images
     Reply #18 - August 01, 2015, 03:24 PM

Beautiful !

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »