Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The hubble space telescope

(Read 4468 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The hubble space telescope
     OP - October 11, 2009, 08:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: The hubble space telescope
     Reply #1 - October 11, 2009, 09:01 PM

I always thought the old "pale blue dot" image was a good one. That is a shot of Earth taken from out near Pluto. Brings a new meaning to the old saying "It's a small world, isn't it?"

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - October 11, 2009, 09:04 PM

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves."

RIP Carl Sagan

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - October 11, 2009, 09:08 PM

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves."

RIP Carl Sagan

I have always loved these words of Carl Sagan, far more humbling and enlightening than any word from any mythical prophet or soothsayer. If it wasn't too long, it would certainly be my signature.
     Reply #4 - October 11, 2009, 09:14 PM

Such a moving piece of prose .. did he write his own words?  If so, he should have been a poet!  Actually, second thoughts know, he would have been wasted if he did anything other than what he did best.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - October 11, 2009, 09:15 PM

Found it. You can see the asteroid belt between Pluto and Earth.  Smiley

ETA: Yes those were his own words. Great stuff.

Reply #6 - October 11, 2009, 09:18 PM

I put attached the photo in my post - the pale blue dot isnt even that pronouced in mine!

Here again is Sagan's masterpiece for posterity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - October 12, 2009, 07:40 AM

how far did huble go into space?

Reply #8 - October 12, 2009, 08:21 AM

Found it. You can see the asteroid belt between Pluto and Earth.  Smiley

ETA: Yes those were his own words. Great stuff.

Wow, nice image. How was this picture taken?

Reply #9 - October 12, 2009, 08:40 AM

'The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) is a space telescope that was carried into orbit by the space shuttle in April 1990. It is named after the American astronomer Edwin Hubble. Although not the first space telescope, the Hubble is one of the largest and most versatile, and is well-known as both a vital research tool and a public relations boon for astronomy. The HST is a collaboration between NASA and the European Space Agency, and is one of NASA's Great Observatories, along with the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory, the Chandra X-ray Observatory, and the Spitzer Space Telescope. [4]

Space telescopes were proposed as early as 1923. The Hubble was funded in the 1970s, with a proposed launch in 1983, but the project was beset by technical delays, budget problems, and the Challenger disaster. When finally launched in 1990, scientists found that the main mirror had been ground incorrectly, severely compromising the telescope's capabilities. However, after a servicing mission in 1993, the telescope was restored to its intended quality. Hubble's orbit outside the distortion of Earth's atmosphere allows it to take extremely sharp images with almost no background light. Hubble's Ultra Deep Field image, for instance, is the most detailed visible-light image ever made of the universe's most distant objects. Many Hubble observations have led to breakthroughs in astrophysics, such as accurately determining the rate of expansion of the universe.

The Hubble is the only telescope ever designed to be serviced in space by astronauts. There have been five servicing missions, the last occurring in May 2009. Servicing Mission 1 took place in December 1993 when Hubble's imaging flaw was corrected. Servicing missions 2, 3A, and 3B repaired various sub-systems and replaced many of the observing instruments with more modern and capable versions. However, following the 2003 Space Shuttle Columbia accident, the fifth servicing mission was canceled on safety grounds. After spirited public discussion, NASA reconsidered this decision, and administrator Mike Griffin approved one final Hubble servicing mission. STS-125 was launched in May 2009, and installed two new instruments and made numerous repairs.

The latest servicing should allow the telescope to function until at least 2014, when its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), is due to be launched. The JWST will be far superior to Hubble for many astronomical research programs, but will only observe in infrared, so it will complement (not replace) Hubble's ability to observe in the visible and ultraviolet parts of the spectrum' source-wapedia

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - October 12, 2009, 09:46 AM

grin12 Ahem. The "pale blue dot" photo wasn't taken by Hubble. It was taken by the old Voyager tin can on its way out of the solar system. Hubble is in near-Earth orbit and only takes very, very big pictures of Earth.  Afro

Reply #11 - October 12, 2009, 10:24 AM

Whoops.  I hope that when they decommission the Hubble that they allow it to do the same as Voyager, and leave our galaxy whilst snapping more piccies of the rest of Milky Way

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - October 12, 2009, 11:07 AM

That would be cool.

Reply #13 - October 12, 2009, 03:29 PM

Our universe is so ridicoulosly...fucking...unbelievable big!

We will NEVER visit 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of it.
    We can be happy if we are able to cross our galaxy someday!

And i love this... we are so unimportant... all our little wars are nothing... noone will ever hear of them, or care about them.

And now mr religous guy tell me again there is one personal god!

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves." - from Goethes Faust
    "Only the wisest and the stupidest men never change." - Confuzios
    "there is no religion of peace, only people who are peaceful while being religious."
     Reply #14 - October 12, 2009, 03:49 PM

This thread is totally amazing  Afro
    And the fact that I have never seen the 'Pale Blue Dot' video means I'm missing a lot of what we have in this world, now think about what I don't know about other planets and galaxies. I'm so fucking insignificant.

Also that Numa Numa guy in the first video was totally random  Cheesy

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #15 - October 12, 2009, 04:02 PM

Also that Numa Numa guy in the first video was totally random  Cheesy

Yep, he does qualify pointlessness pretty well @ 1.30 on the vid

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - October 12, 2009, 04:35 PM

Yep, he does qualify pointlessness pretty well @ 1.30 on the vid

I love the Numa Numa guy Cheesy

The double right-eyebrow raising is a sign for Aliens to invade earth. Glad they missed that sign and we are safe..... Fewwwww!

Reply #17 - October 12, 2009, 04:47 PM

I wouldn't be so sure we're safe......

http://www.ufodigest.com/gotmilk.html

In what appears to be the result of extraterrestrial encounters, dairy farmers are reporting a rash of cow disappearances in California?s heartland.

Eyewitnesses claim to have seen alien beings combing cow pastures for what they call a ?magic white serum? that enhances bone strength, promotes muscle recovery, prevents cavities, and takes the edge off insomnia and PMS.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #18 - November 25, 2010, 12:09 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dVqkp225kg&feature=sub

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - November 25, 2010, 05:11 AM

wow man thats amazing !!

if that still doesn't make me believe i dont know what will  Afro

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #20 - November 25, 2010, 08:06 AM

wwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »