Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Honour Killings

(Read 2299 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Honour Killings
     OP - November 02, 2009, 01:34 PM

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if honour killings are permitted in Islam. There have been honour killings from other religions so it does make me wonder if it's something cultural, but is there a verse in the quran or in any hadiths that this is allowed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aikmkVMXGsM&feature=related

"Ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?
    Their eyes real close together. Eyebrow ridges. Big, furry hands and feet. 'I believe God created me in one day.'
    'Looks like he rushed it." ~ Bill Hicks
  • Re: Honour Killings
     Reply #1 - November 02, 2009, 01:45 PM

From what I understand it is cultural, however, I have heard people use the story of Musa going on a journey in a boat to several places 8:60-82 - events happening that seem unjust but when viewed in the larger context are just. I've heard some honour killings being done on such grounds - but that seems to be a bastardised understanding of the parable.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #2 - November 02, 2009, 01:48 PM

There is at least one thread on this somewhere - probably more - but briefly Islam does not directly order or condone Honour Killing, but the fact that Islam places a great deal of the burden of a societies morality at the feet of women helps create the sort of environment and communities that allow such a thing to happen in the name of honour!  Roll Eyes
     Reply #3 - November 02, 2009, 04:23 PM

+1

I will add that murder, disbelief and zina are all held at equal level in the koran. Does the koran directly order the death of apostates as well? No it does not. It is the hadith that orders the death of apostates. As for adulterers, the hadith is not as harsh against them except for the few stonings muhammad ordered.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #4 - November 02, 2009, 04:39 PM

+1

I will add that murder, disbelief and zina are all held at equal level in the koran. Does the koran directly order the death of apostates as well? No it does not. It is the hadith that orders the death of apostates.

Even if the Quran does not say it, the authenticated hadith say so:

Sahih Bukhari 4:260
    The Prophet said, 'If a Muslim discards his religion, kill him.'

The only reason the Quran did not say it is because at the time the emphasis was on spreading the belief, not retaining it.

In any case the Quran is filled with vitriolic verses against non-believers and people guilty of crimes against Islamic morality.  

All in all it creates a culture of retribution & violence that spills into honour killings & mindless violence.  

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - November 02, 2009, 04:47 PM

The murderers got 20 years? What about the cops who let it happen? I say give them 20 years too-- in general pop. Fuckhead cops, they should rot for letting that poor girl die. But if it's anything like the US, they'll get a written warning or reprimand at most. I hope her boyfriend at least can get legal standing to sue the PD and the officers involved.

fuck you
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »