Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Criticism of Rape Victims' Treatment by the 'Ulama

(Read 3074 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Criticism of Rape Victims' Treatment by the 'Ulama
     OP - September 19, 2009, 11:55 AM

From: http://www.memri.org/bin/latestnews.cgi?ID=SD254309
    On May 20, 2009, on the liberal website Middleeasttransparent, Lebanese columnist Ayman Nassar [1] criticized an article published by the London daily Al-Sharq Al-Awsat regarding a fatwa sanctioning abortions for rape victims under certain conditions. Nassar rejected these conditions, and demanded that the clerics either stop ruling on matters in which they lack scientific and professional expertise, or take into account the opinions of the relevant expert community.

Following are excerpts from the article:

"The Article... Miraculously Transform[s the Problem] Into a Simple Matter... Like Buying a Kilo of Apples"

"It is with great concern that I read the article published May 12, 2009 in Al-Sharq Al-Awsat titled "Debate over the Fatwa Sanctioning Abortion for Rape Victims" [2] ? I cannot understand the point [in publishing] such articles, since they are not relevant to our society, nor do they belong in the column [dealing with] Islamic [issues].

"Why do we hasten to ask 'knowledgeable parties' [i.e. clerics] their opinion on everything that happens to us and has not yet been addressed by a fatwa? I have heard of almost no scientific or social phenomenon regarding which no fatwa has been issued?

"Who are they, these [clerics] whom we consult regarding Koranic verses? Are they [really] sheikhs? Are they [really] muftis? Have they knowledge of tradition and of the Koran?...

"The [Al-Sharq Al-Awsat] article discussed different opinions regarding [the permissibility of] abortion for rape victims? but neglected to mention the views of psychologists and sociologists - those who usually deal with these matters. Nor does the article reflect the point of view of the women who are the victims, who have been raped. The article also fails to take into account the sociological, psychological, and family implications of this problem - thereby miraculously transforming it into a simple matter with no ramifications, like buying a kilo of apples, as if it did not involve a living being who has been hurt, and as if the point of view were all that mattered?"

Al-Azhar Sheikh is Confusing Rape with Prostitution

"?Let us take a close look at the article. In it, Al-Azhar Sheikh [Dr. Muhammad Sayyed Tantawi] is asked to state his opinion regarding [the permissibility of] abortion for a rape victim. He replies: Such a woman is permitted to have an abortion, but only if she is pure, her reputation is unblemished, and she resisted the rape.

"Thus, by sleight of hand, 'His Highness' rules who may have an abortion and who may not. [Dr. Tantawi,] the highest-ranking cleric in the Muslim world, singled out [a group of women] as an exception. The conditions he stipulates - which he phrases as a statement, rather than a suggestion - mean that [a woman] who is not Muslim, who does not wear the hijab, and who is not devout? brings the disaster upon herself, and may not abort her fetus.

"[Tantawi] further posits that [a woman may abort only if] she resisted the rape. Has any of the readers heard of rape by agreement?! A rape on which [the man and the woman] agree is [not rape but] prostitution - which is very different from rape. Is there any logic in [Tantawi's] statements, or are they nothing but senseless gibberish, like many sheikhs utter before coming up with an answer?!

"Next, [the article] presents the view of Al-Azhar Research Center member, Dr. Mustafa Al-Shak'a, who concurs with Tantawi's view but restricts the time frame when abortion is allowed to 120 days following conception? since, [he says,] after 120 days, a fetus is perceived as [an entity with] a soul and its murder is forbidden. Al-Shak'a's opinion is shared by Sheikh Mahmoud 'Ashur, [former deputy of Al-Azhar Sheikh and currently a member of the Al-Azhar Research Center].

"According to an opposing view presented in the article, abortion is forbidden on the grounds that life begins when the sperm enters the ovum; thus, abortion is tantamount to murder at any time. This view's proponents base their arguments on [several] hadiths and on the precedent of the woman from the Ghamidiyya [tribe]. [3] According to the article, this was the ruling of Dr. 'Abd Al-Fattah Idris [the head of the Comparative Islamic Law department at Al-Azhar's Shari'a faculty], who contended that [the Prophet Muhammad] ordered Al-Ghamidiyya to give birth [before having her stoned]? Thus, Sheikh [Idris] extrapolates from something that happened long ago to modern times - and equates harlotry with rape, as if they were one and the same."

The 'Ulama Disregard the Suffering of Rape Victims

"It is with deep anguish that I ask again: Who taught these people to issue fatwas on matters they don't understand? Who gave them the idea that their opinions are correct just because they back it up with a [Koranic] verse or a hadith? Why doesn't even one of them suggest consulting experts who treat rape victims? Why doesn't a single one ask the rape victim, so as to understand her hurt, pain, suffering, and humiliation? Why don't they ask rape victims how they are treated by society, expelled from the family, divorced by their husbands, and repulsed by their fathers?

"Why can't they see [the implications of] their statements? Why don't they take into account statistical data collected by organizations that deal with these issues, and [rape's] destructive consequences for the individual and the family, [including] repeated suicide attempts?...

"Has any of [these clerics] asked these women whether they are emotionally fit to raise a child [born from rape]? Do they really believe that we live in a pure world that accepts, pities, and protects such children?"

[1] www.middleeasttransparent.com, May 20, 2009.

[2] Al-Sharq Al-Awsat (London), May 12, 2009.

[3] The wife of one of Prophet Muhammad's companions, who conceived as a result of adultery and asked the Prophet to purify her of her sin. After she gave birth and weaned the baby, Muhammad ordered that she be stoned, and that her soul be prayed for since she had repented.

About time someone from within the Dar al Islam spoke up against these birdbrains who know absolutely nothing about women!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
  • Re: Criticism of Rape Victims' Treatment by the 'Ulama
     Reply #1 - September 19, 2009, 01:51 PM

I agree. No mutual consent means rape. I don't care if she was stark naked that does not give the person any right to do such a disgusting act.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #2 - December 17, 2013, 04:00 PM

How about this? Just ignore them.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - December 18, 2013, 03:53 PM

The wife of one of the prophet Muhammad's companions was stone to death, at the instruction of said prophet, after having her child and weaning it. But she could prayed for as she had repented of her actions.

Interesting. Thereby she was deprived of any future good she could do.

But what I really want to know is at what point the man was stoned to death for his part in the sinful adulterous act.

I always find it amazingly interesting how many more women we hear about being stoned for adultery, or for being raped then we hear about the punishment of the men who engage with or inflect these actions on the women.

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #4 - December 18, 2013, 04:22 PM

It's because it's the woman's fault. She must of swung her hips in a provocative way or moved her arms in a provocative way or flirted or this or that. Women are evil temptresses, making these poor men lose control and rape them. Best get the law on it before she makes some other poor man sin. Add in the "honour" culture, she's a black mark on the family. The woman is the "honour" so when the woman's "honour" is ruined she is herself "dishonouring" the family.

This is the mentality.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #5 - December 18, 2013, 10:33 PM

Indeed that's the mentality.

I however don't think that is what the Qur'an and the Hadith say if I remember my school days correctly.

Additionally in a culture where the men are seen as superior or stronger (for lack of better words) then women it would seem, at least to me, that it's totally contradictory that the weaker could extend so much power over the stronger. 

Ah well in neatly the entire world there are individuals as well as entire cultures that have some amount of injustice based on gender. Just earlier on YouTube there was a video on TheYoungTurks channel about an incident that happened in Greece. A female protester kissed the visor of a male officer's helment, she also licked her fingers and touched his lips. Anyhow he is having her charged with sexual assault. No doubt if it was the other way around what the court of public opinion would decide. Well it seems public opinion is going against him. One of the  commentators on TYT said what the officer is doing is making real sexual less serious. I don't know, I think that point of view may be wrong. Sexual assault starts with being able to take advantage of your position to control someone else's personal space. It starts with a way of thinking. The male commentator on TYT even said of officer he is a man come on he should just let it go. Let go a violation of his personal space?  Why? Because he is a man? Is that why men being raped is the least reported of the sex crimes? Being honest in all cases of when a person's personal space is violated is a start to any person be respected. Men who don't respect women in the end are taking respect away from themself. Women who condone the mistreatment of other women are condoning the mistreatment of themself.

It is however very complex to charge.

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »