Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What's happened to the fo...
Today at 01:58 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 18, 2024, 03:04 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 17, 2024, 08:33 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 17, 2024, 06:13 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 16, 2024, 02:05 PM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Khadija had brothers, she still inherited property & business from her Dad!

(Read 4127 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Khadija had brothers, she still inherited property & business from her Dad!
     OP - September 14, 2009, 01:03 PM

I read this Wikipedia article on Khadija's father,Khuwaylid ibn Asad.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khuwaylid_ibn_Asad
    Khuwaylid ibn Asad
    Khuwaylid ibn Asad (Arabic: خويلد بن أسد‎) was the father of many prominent people in the very early Islamic history:
    ? Awwam ibn Khuwaylid
    ? Halah bint Khuwailid
    ? Khadijah bint Khuwaylid
    ? Hizam ibn Khuwaylid
    From Banu Asad
    Father:Asad ibn Abd-Al-Uzza[1]
    He was a merchant, a successful businessman whose vast wealth and business talents were inherited by Khadijah and whom the latter succeeded in faring with the family's vast wealth. He died in 585 CE.

It is a common Muslim claim that Muhammad first gave women rights of inheritance, yet pre Islamic Khadija had inherited her business & wealth from her father, I was discussing this with my Muslim cousin Adil a few days back. Adil retorted that women in pre Islamic Arabia inherited only if they didn't have brothers, but Islam gave them the right of inheritance even if they had brothers(albeit, half the inheritance of their brothers!  ).

But Khadija had two brothers, she still inherited so much wealth from her father, which of course she put to good use.

This proves two things:

1) Pre Islamic Arabian women inherited property from their fathers.
    2) Pre Islamic Arabian women inherited property & businesses from their fathers even if they had male siblings, so the society must be giving them sufficient opportunity to succeed in business or professions, otherwise their parents wouldn't be leaving them businesses.

Although her brothers too are mentioned in Islamic sources, they aren't mentioned as particularly rich folks, leading one to speculate that her father probably thought that she was the most capable of his 4 offsprings & gave her the bulk of his business!

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
  • Re: Khadija had brothers, she still inherited property & business from her Dad!
     Reply #1 - September 14, 2009, 01:09 PM

Do you know the ratio of how the money from her father was divided up?

Sauda is another example of someone who inherited money from her late husband. My dad told me women never inherited money before Islam, wouldn't even let me refute him and accused me of having little knowledge when I tried to point out he was wrong. That was frustrating!
  • Re: Khadija had brothers, she still inherited property & business from her Dad!
     Reply #2 - September 14, 2009, 01:10 PM

The thing you have to understand is Muslim history is very self serving. It is very simple "Everything about the Jahilliyah was terrible and the coming of Islam was the best thing to happen to the world". So everything is exaggerated to make Islam seem amazing.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #3 - September 14, 2009, 01:21 PM

Do you know the ratio of how the money from her father was divided up?

Sauda is another example of someone who inherited money from her late husband. My dad told me women never inherited money before Islam, wouldn't even let me refute him and accused me of having little knowledge when I tried to point out he was wrong. That was frustrating!

I'm sorry I can't seem to find exact ratios Peru!

However, I checked many Muslim sites, they all say that Khuwaylid's vast wealth was inherited by Khadija, there's no mention of what her bros inherited.

This is another article, on a Muslim site by a Muslim, which says Khadija inherited wealth from her dad.

http://www.hujjat.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=244:sayida-khadija&catid=28&Itemid=100013

It must be very substantial, coz Khadija was one of the region's richest people, not even richest women!

There's no mention of her brothers being as rich or richer than her!

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #4 - September 14, 2009, 01:32 PM

Fair enough. Will have to use that against my dad sometime.
     Reply #5 - September 14, 2009, 01:41 PM

This is another group of women-in Indonesia whose inheritance rights were lessened due to Islam.

They're the Minangkabau, the world's largest matrilineal group. Family name & property used to pass down entirely from mother to daughter, after Islam, although ancestral property ie house passes from mother to daughter, the property earned by men & women during their lifetime passes in the Islamic system-ie sons get double the share of daughters!

http://www.lakemaninjau.com/minang.html

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »