Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Christian Missionary loses his faith

(Read 10896 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Christian Missionary loses his faith
     OP - May 07, 2009, 01:12 PM

A very interesting and moving real-life story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3q6Cid1po
  • Re: Christian Missionary loses his faith
     Reply #1 - May 07, 2009, 01:41 PM

enjoyed the video  Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - May 07, 2009, 01:48 PM

Thanks for sharing Hass. 'Inspirational' Smiley

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #3 - May 07, 2009, 02:08 PM

It's a shame his de-conversion letd to the break up of his family. But just goes to show the strength of faith.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #4 - May 07, 2009, 03:03 PM

It's a shame his de-conversion letd to the break up of his family. But just goes to show the strength of faith.

and how problematic other people's faith can be..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - May 07, 2009, 05:04 PM

Any chances of such a thing happening to our Sparky? Wink

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #6 - May 07, 2009, 05:08 PM

who knows, but he was a fairly rational being, so I suspect his faith was weakened after our tete-a-tete's

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - May 07, 2009, 05:26 PM

who knows, but he was a fairly rational being, so I suspect his faith was weakened after our tete-a-tete's

He was certainly both rational & knowledgable,& I do feel he was a missionary type, infact the only missionary type we've had, the other Christians on our boards were just anti Islam. Of course, I can't be sure of this.

I really haven't come across another religious person of his calibre on this board, & I say this as a sincere compliment-most of the others have been damn funny(no examples Wink), crass & funny(again obvious who I'm indicating Wink), people who conveniently dodge difficult issues & questions & refuse to back up their assertions,who manage to interpret an obviously & unambiguously anti women or anti gay story into ways which satisfy them, or those who're genuinely ignorant about the unpleasant aspects of their faith.

Sparky was in a difficult position, being outnumbered by so many non believers, his position was made doubly difficult by the fact that he was trying to defend the truly vile aspects of his theology, while simulteneously trying to justify his stance that the Good Book was  the paragon of divine wishdom, while Islamic Scriptures were erroneous & unpleasant-& he didn't manage to convince any ex Muslims here.

He was also able to see all the flaws in Islam, but was blind to the same or similar flaws in his faith, but other than that-he knew his Bible well, knew Islam well & did try to answer all our questions to the best of his ability & was a valiant & capable defender of his faith. clap

No wonder the thread, "Readings from the Holy Book" is one of CEOMB's longest & most viewed threads! great

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #8 - May 07, 2009, 05:33 PM

Yep, that was one to go down in history for sure.. we should do a favourite thread ever..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - May 07, 2009, 07:30 PM

Any chances of such a thing happening to our Sparky? Wink

Somehow I doubt it - he just seemed so sure of the holes in Islam yet utterly unable to see similar holes in his own faith.

Didn't Sparky saying he worked/lived in Afghanistan? Or have I got him confused with someone else? Anyway, yes he also struck me as the missionary type.

There was a Christian Missionary who came to the CoEMB anniversary last year and spent a great deal of time telling us all how brave we were to leave Islam and then about Jesus. He was Dutch I think - and was really quite a sweet guy. lol
     Reply #10 - May 07, 2009, 08:17 PM

Didn't Sparky saying he worked/lived in Afghanistan? Or have I got him confused with someone else?guy. lol

No, I rememeber him saying something like that

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - May 07, 2009, 09:26 PM

I'd seen an interview with this guy in New Scientist some time ago so I was already familiar with his story. In fact we had a thread on it not long after this forum opened. I remember some of the Christians were quite pissed about it. Cheesy

Anyway I thought it was amusing. He must have been totally blown out by the reactions of the Piraha. It would have made a great comedy if it had all been filmed.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #12 - May 27, 2009, 04:41 PM

I loved it when they said: "We like to drink, and have more then one women" seem like mind kind of folk!  Wink
     Reply #13 - June 23, 2009, 07:41 PM

A very interesting and moving real-life story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3q6Cid1po

I woder if the BBC would also cover a topic: "Muslim missionary loses faith"...

but they will reap what they sew...
     Reply #14 - August 07, 2011, 05:25 PM

BUMP!! Amazing video! 

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #15 - August 07, 2011, 07:50 PM

Yes, thanks for the video Hassan, an dthanks for the bump J&T

Teach us to care and not to care / Teach us to sit still.
    What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult to each other
    You are the music while the music lasts.
    T.S.Eliot
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »